Start by marking “Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen

Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  444 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When I said I was working on a soup book, the response was often, “Oh, I love soup!” People enthuse about soup in a way that’s so heartwarming it makes me feel as if I’m in the right camp... The soups in this book are based on vegetables, and many of these recipes are new ones for me. But some are soup classics, by which I mean some of those that have stood the test of tim ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen

Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
There were some recipes in here that sounded really good. Like all Deborah Madison cookbooks, there were far too many recipes with gluten and animal products in them to be entirely useful to me. But, wow, some of the dishes really did sound wonderful! I may get this out from the library again sometime (since I had too many out at once this time, and ran out of time) and copy down a few of the better recipes that suit my needs. I'd definitely recommend this cookbook to omnivores and vegetarians. ...more
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I must be a fan of Deborah Madison, because here's another of her cookbooks I will purchase. I cook from scratch, try to buy most of my foodstuffs from local farmers, cheese-makers, etc and I don't eat meat, so I'm a good candidate to like her way of cooking. The soups are lovely--some more challenging (Yes--soups can be challenging!) than others--the layout is to my liking, with some beautiful photography, and the recipes are easy to follow. The eight chapter headings are: Light Broths ...more
Found this little jewel at Bob's Red Mill Store in Sellwood, requested it from the library, made 2 soups, first the rustic lentil, unfair to really rate as anything with spinach and lentils is automatically my favorite...however last night i made the yellow split pea with rice spinach and spiced yogurt...not for the coconut milk, but i think i creamed myself. that is a damn good soup..and one of the few joe and i have both exclaimed MMMM with mouths full since the infamous carrot ginger.
yum mum
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The pictures look so delicious, and I love soup. While I have a lot of soups that I make, I did find new ideas and combinations that I want to try. I love bean broths, and now I have discovered how beautiful and tasty red lentils and their broth are. Looking forward to trying the summer squash soup with masa dumplings especially.
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Re-read August 2017. I don't buy books anymore, so my local library is my go to for my book addiction. I've been making soups for while now and this cookbook will go on my books to buy wish list. I prefer most non-fiction reference books with end flaps (is that what you call them?) Many times I've wished certain books could be better served with end flaps.
Nov 13, 2010 is currently reading it
Yellow Pea and Coconut Milk Soup with Spinach, Rice and Spiced Yogurt: I veganized this recipe by substituting Earth Balance for butter and soy for dairy yogurt. All in all, I liked it a lot with homey flavors and subtle spices, although I left it to simmer a bit on the stove after it had been pureed and the result was a little thick.
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good lord I love Deborah Madison! Every recipe I've ever made from any of her books is amazing. Ingredients are simple and mostly seasonal. And if you don't love soup there is something wrong with you. Please seek therapy.
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
So far I've made the Peanut Soup, Senegalese style, and the Black Bean Soup with chile, coconut milk and lime. Those two recipes alone were worth the price of this book -- they were easy, intriguing, elegant, and Freaking Delicious.
Sep 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
I love food. I love soup. I love veggies. I love to cook. I have no love for this book.

To be fair, I haven't made anything from it, but only 3 recipes sound like they have any possibility of being good. She seems to have forgotten the flavor in most of the recipes.
brooke sellers
May 04, 2007 rated it liked it
I really like this cookbook because I really like soups. These are all made from luscious, REAL ingredients, and totally vegetarian! The only drawback is that many of the recipes are a bit too involved for my low-maintenance daily routine.
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeously photographed cookbook that inspiring and just soothing to look at. I have cooked a few recipes from this that turned out very well and hope to try some more now that colder months approach (although she has hot weather soups included too!). Love it!
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got this book out of the library and every soup I made was A-MA-zing. I'm going to buy it someday.
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Some great ideas here that I can't wait to try such as rutabaga...
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-drink
I'm going through a soup phase right now. Soups are a great way to add veggies in the wintertime without a lot of extra calories. Loved the broccoli, ginger soup.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
one of my staples--some outstanding and unusual ideas.
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I haven't played around with this book too much. What I've made was good, not delicious. I will have to experiment some more.
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Got a recipe I can eat out this book! Success.
The rest of the recipes relied alot on garlic for flavor, which I love, but can't eat...
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I could eat soup every day and be happy, and if they came from this book I would be happier still. Madison knows her stuff, and these recipes are great. Lovely pictures, too.
Susan O'brien
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So many wonderful recipes to try!
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I've been enticed by this books many times. This time I copied a few recipes, including a black bean soup with lime and coconut milk. Yum!
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I highlight all the recipes that look good and then make them. I've made four soups so far and they have all been delicious and full of flavor.
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
you have to like butter.
Sario Lawrence
My new favorite book.
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a wonderful cookbook full of tasty recipes arranged seasonally. Mmmmm soup.
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every single recipe is elegant and delicious. This is one of my all time favorite cookbooks and it has truly taught me more about cooking than most cookbooks I own.
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Gorgeous cookbook. I only gave it three stars because I either had made soups similar to the recipes inside already or the soups didn't meet my dietary restrictions.
Clie Trino
Nov 22, 2016
Michelle Martin
Aug 25, 2017
Maureen bishop
Nov 20, 2016
Deb Andrews
Nov 04, 2015
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More
  • Real Vegetarian Thai
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.
More about Deborah Madison...

Nonfiction Deals

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be