Start by marking “The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)

The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby Mystery #3)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,815 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews

When psychic librarian Ophelia Jensen is awakened in the middle of the night by an old friend, Rick, he amusingly asks, "Know where I can find a good witch?" But Ophelia soon learns that her friend needs help with a situation much more serious than his initial teasing suggests. Rick's friend's daughter has disappeared, and it seems that a strange pseudo-religious scientifi

Mass Market Paperback, 292 pages
Published August 29th 2006 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble With Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble With Witches

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

They say three time's a charm. As I've said before, this really seems to be the case with most series. This paranormal series follows the same - it's when I fully wanted to continue. In this one Rick, the man missing from the second book, calls Ophelia and her grandmother in to do some investigating out of town, waving goodbye to Henry introduced in book two. The author seems to introduce men only to take them away in the next novel. Strange.

While we leave the familiar town behind, it's interest
Gemma
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
This one is my favourite in the series so far. Abby is starting to embrace her powers to help solve the mysteries. A really cute 'cosy' mystery to help my brain switch off. I am going to stick with this series.
C.
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: up-to-2012
Shirley Damsgaard is a dilemma. Her stories are sensational. Plots eventually grab you with impressive multi-layers. I keep hoping an irritating style is cleaned up. Does she notice "tug" keeps repeating? Also "narrowed her eyes" occurs on every page! People don't do that but if the description got used once, I wouldn't think anything of it. Repetition hinders enjoyment of books that are really wonderful. Shirley can also omit "5 years ago" when mentioning Brian and series readers GET that Abiga ...more
Sue
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, magical
Another fun little adventure with Ophelia, the psychic librarian and her grandmother, Abby, the wisewoman witch from Appalachia. This story takes the out of their small Iowa town on a road trip to Minnesota to help their journalist friend, Rick, from the first novel. So he re-appears, but Henry from the second book, disappears. Henry and Ophelia are making progress toward friendship and understanding by the end of the second book, but at the beginning of this one, he finds out she's going to do ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Rick called Ophelia to help him find a missing girl. The last place where she was seen was with the cult-like group in Minnesota. Rick took them to see the girl's parents and there they found out that the father thought the psychics are nonsense. I really didn't like Rick at that moment. After the danger they'd been in the first book, he deliberately used Ophelia's weak spot (unhappy, lonely girls) to drag her into something which might be dangerous. I found Henry's reaction to Ophelia's trip sp ...more
Lesley Looper
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2010
Two stars here is a decent two stars. I didn't dislike this one, I just didn't like it as much as the first book in this series. (I skipped the second one, may go back to it later.)

I was hoping to really sink my teeth into this series with this installment, but Ophelia, the reluctant witch who happens to be a librarian (hey, right up my alley!) seems to be a reluctant reader (why didn't she read those journals?) and researcher (of witchcraft, magick, etc.). What's up with that?!
Carolyn Rose
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not every book is for every reader and this one wasn't for me. I couldn't seem to connect with the characters and finally set it aside.
Sam Jones
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I am enjoying this series. Nice easy read, good plot and interesting, entertaining characters.
Lori Schiele
This is actually Book 3 in a series, but the first that I have read. I liked the fact that the author did her "homework" and had the characters properly use the "tools" of The Craft (witchcraft) i.e. crystals, herbs, candles, etc. Being Wiccan/Pagan, myself, I am very aware of these things and so was pleased to see that she was accurate in their usage. Unfortunately, that was about the only thing that I truly approved of and the only reason I gave the book 2 stars at all.
The plot line was only
Natalie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this story very much, looking forward to reading more by this author.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well, this series is truly becoming a favorite of mine. I love the premise of a family that carries the traits of being true witches/psychics from the Appalachian area. They continue to quietly live their lives and help those they can without any hoopla.

The above is the case with Ophelia Jensen, a Librarian who along with her Aunt, Abby are witches. Ophelia is just learning the talents of the long-lived women of the family. Aunt Abby is an amazing medicine woman, in her own right, and studies th
Hazel
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ophelia is slowly getting less dense as the books progress. She still is overly protective of her grandmother & friends, but given that she isn't very close to many people it's understandable. I'm a little surprised though that she is kind of reckless with her safety still after all that she has been through. That is one side of her that I don't understand.

I thought the plot for this book was very interesting. For one thing, I was wondering what would happen between Ophelia & Rick. It wa
Linda Smith
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, magic, witch, psychic
The Trouble With Witches is a cute, fast read. The main characters are quite appealing. The story is narrated by Ophelia Jensen - a small town librarian who is psychic and a witch and who seems to have a hobby of solving crimes. Ophelia has a powerful partner in her adventures - her gifted 74 year old grandmother, Abby. And a good friend and co-worker, Darci, who wants to be included in their cases. And a dog named Lady and a cat named Queenie (both of who seem to be better judges of character t ...more
Angie Lisle
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shirley Damsgaard has carved a new niche in the market: Appalachian Paranormal Fiction! Being a West Virginia gal, I love how Appalachia figures into the books without all the negative stereotyping that usually goes along with it!

I always have problems getting started with Shirley Damsgaard's books. But once I make it past the first couple of chapters, I fall in love with the characters again (and again). I am sucked in by the storyline and I have a very hard time putting the book down.

I love
Sally906
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
THE TROUBLE WITH WITCHES is the third book in the Ophelia and Abby series. When Ophelia and her grandmother, Abby, are asked to find a young girl who has gone missing in Minnesota they are at first reluctant to go – but when they find out she was last seen in the company of a dubious paranormal and psychic research group that borders on being cultish the two witches decide to go and see if they can help locate her. They rent a cabin on a lake near the group’s headquarters and strange things soon ...more
Kimberly Ann
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: demons
This is..I dunno the middle one in the series....Ophelia (Psycho..oops! Psychic Librarian) and her Grandmother Abby (Appalachian "Wise" Woman) are asked to use their "abilities" to locate a missing young woman, Brandi, who has run away from home to join the PSI community, as she is "Different".

In the process of searching for Brandi, Abby & Ophelia come across the troubled "daughter" of the PSI founders, Tink, an old Native American man who has strange powers, Walks Quietly, and an evil supe
Doris
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book has some minor irritating quirks, such as the fact that the witch/psychic refuses to learn enough to know how to do the job she is destined to do. However, that is more of a personality trait than a writing issue.

There was a place within the story where the witchling (our main character Ophelia) puts everyone in danger, and NO ONE chastises her for it in any way. (view spoiler)
Jacki
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Once again, Ophelia finds herself drug into another mystery. The difference this time is that Abby is also on the case. Traveling to Minnesota, the two are out to find a missing girl linked to a group investigating psychics. Who better to take on the case?

I believe that this third book is my favorite in the series so far. The characters are developing nicely, as well as the storylines. New characters are being introduced and you look forward to getting to know them even better. Ophelia is coming
Joyce
Good summer read. Summary: Ophelia has always considered her psychic abilities an imposition, except for those times she's been able to put her paranormal talents to good use-like when a friend asks her to help find a missing teenager. Unfortunately it means she and Abby, her kindly, canny sorceress granny, will be taking to the road to pursue the vanished girl in the wilds of Minnesota.The signs are pointing toward the secluded new age research facility of Jason and Juliet Finch, who live with ...more
Yvonne Boag
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, mystery
Ophelia and her grandmother, Abby are witches. Ophelia gets a phone call from a friend one night asking for her help in tracking down a missing teenager. She was last seen as part of a group who are researching psychic abilities. When Ophelia and Abby arrive in Minnesota they quickly find out that there is a lot of mysterious happenings in the area. They have to use their abilities to find out who is behind what is happening and to try and rescue the girl before it is too late.

It wasn't a bad re
AngryGreyCat
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
The Trouble With Witches is book 3 in a series that I have been reading. The protagonist, Ophelia, is becoming more and more comfortable with her gifts and in this book the magic takes more of center stage. Ophelia and Abby leave home in this book to explore a “cult” that is implicated in a young woman’s disappearance. The disappearance of Brandi, a murder, and some older crimes are all bound together and resolve neatly in the end. The “cult” has connections to magic and psychic research. Out of ...more
Posa1985
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book. It starts off kinda slow with Rick calling Opheila asking for help finding Brandi, who is the missing daughter of one of his friends. Opheila and her grandmother Abby goes to Gunhammer Lake the last location of Brandi. Darci shows up to help. Opheila finds yet another dead body. I really liked this book because she began to close up the loose ends that exist between Rick and Ophelia. I also like that Ophelia is coming out of her shell more. She is actually making the ef ...more
Kitty
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This was a tough one to rate. I had some trouble getting into it, though it did pick up, and I enjoyed the ending. I think I've figured out what bothers me about Ophelia: she's a librarian, and a witch. She has been denying her talents, which I can understand a bit. However, now that she is starting to come to terms with them, why is she not researching them more and learning everything she can? Aren't most librarians obsessed with research? At the very least, she should be chomping at the bit t ...more
Barbara ★
I like this series but it annoys me that Abby and Ophelia keep so much from each other - I mean relating to the case they are investigating. It's almost as if grandmother Abby lets Ophelia get into trouble just so she can rescue her. When if she told Ophelia what Abby thought was going on, a lot of the missteps could be avoided but what fun would that be in a cozy mystery. I'm not really sure why this bothers me in this book but not other cozies. Hmmm guess I'll have to think on that.

I do like a
Donna Siebold
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Another mild mystery - Ophelia has a knack for finding dead bodies and her troubles generally progress from there. Along with her grandmother Abby, she always manages to solve the mystery and avoid the personal peril that attempts to overwhelm her.

Cozies are not my favorite style of mystery, but I am growing to like these characters a bit more than I did initially. I still believe Ophelia would benefit from a stronger spine, but she is not quite as sappy as she was in the first two books.
Jami Leigh
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper, trad-pub, 2013
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

Still going through some of the random paper books. Cute concept that was probably a lot fresher when it was published than now, but I felt like I've read this story (and a million like it) before in better iterations. Nothing BAD about it, really, but nothing amazing either. Characters sometimes stupid for plot convenience, and very heavy handed foreshadowing made me wince, but it was better than spinning in my computer chair.
BookNerdette
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series about a reluctant witch/clairvoyant and her mentor Grandmother, Ophelia and Abby.

Her heart throb, Rick, calls to ask them to help locate his friends missing teen. He has tracked her to what he believes is some sort of cult. Unfortunately, while checking in with Rick, Ophelia hears a woman in the background and before he decides to tell her, she knows that he is engaged...sigh...Oh well, that means there is another love interest coming in a future book!?!
Patti
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ophelia's friend calls her one night and enlists Ophelia and her grandmother Abby, to help him find a friend's daughter who has disappeared after joining a cult. It's up to Ophelia and Abby, with the help of an American Indian Shaman, and a young medium to help find the girl and find out what the cult is up to.
Melissa
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
Ophelia and Addy on on the case again this time it's a road show. They are investiaging a disappearing girl who joined a possible witch group but they are very secrative so Ophelia and Abby go in undercover as two vactioning normal folks. What they didn't bargan for was Tank, the head couple's neice who has some secrets of her own.
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Trouble with Witches 1 2 Mar 18, 2012 07:32PM
  • Hex Marks the Spot (A Bewitching Mystery, #3)
  • Tombs of Endearment (Pepper Martin, #3)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Larceny And Lace (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #2)
  • A Glimpse of Evil (Psychic Eye Mystery, #8)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Laced with Magic (Sugar Maple, #2)
  • Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2)
  • Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
I’ve read many bios that start with the words “I wanted to be a writer all of my life and wrote my first story at the age of five.” I honestly can’t say that’s true for me—at the age of five, as an only child growing up on a farm, my career goal was to be a princess. Unfortunately, all those positions happened to be filled, so I followed the path so many other women have traveled—marriage, childre ...more
More about Shirley Damsgaard...

Ophelia & Abby Mystery (7 books)
  • Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4)
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)