Start by marking “Prince of the City: The True Story of a Cop Who Knew Too Much” as Want to Read:
Prince of the City: The True Story of a Cop Who Knew Too Much

Prince of the City: The True Story of a Cop Who Knew Too Much

In the early 1970s, the federal government undertook the investigation of the corruption penetrating the entire criminal justice system in New York City, particularly the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) of the Narcotics division of the NYPD. Young and enthusiastic, Detective Robert Leuci was chosen by federal prosecutors Rudolf Giuliani, Maurice Nadjari, and Tom Puccio ...more
Published January 15th 1978 by Houghton Mifflin (T)

To ask other readers questions about Prince of the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of the City

Start your review of Prince of the City: The True Story of a Cop Who Knew Too Much
Eric
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The film Prince of the City has been one of my favorite films for many years. I could not tell someone how many times I have watched that movie.

The book has also been a keen interest of mine. The book mostly details the career of vice detective of NYPD Robert Leuci and the slow encroachment of corruption when it comes to policing and the enforcement of the law and the later need for one to seek redemption for past wrong doings.

Robert Leuci has also written his own memoir, All the Centurions,
GT
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My favorite book in quite a few years...

Such an incredible story that not only is it hard to believe, but it has the power to make you hopeful, optimistic, encouraged, astounded and also shameful, cowardly, dejected and confused. This book takes you through one NYC Detective's journey and sacrifice.

I'd seen the Treat Williams movie years ago and although I liked it, I could never quite figure the whole thing out. I look forward to seeing it again, but I know it will always pale next to reading
Dan
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damning Condemnation of the Justice System

How can anyone feel any sympathy for Leuci, the protagonist in this book? If you or I committed the crimes he committed we would never see the light of day. Prosecutorial discretion is the poison pill of the American Justice system. Nevertheless this is real literature by a good author and interesting thought provoking material.
Jmrathbone
I think I might have liked this book better if I had read it when it was first written. It was hard to keep track of all of the people Bob Leuci worked with, testified against, and who bribed him.
Mariah Keyrouz
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story. Here's what happens when the good guys are badder than the bad guys - and the ones out to stop them are even worse. True story. My hat's off to this guy.
Michael Adamchuk
Bob Leuci, a NYPD cop, goes deep undercover to expose corruption in the NYPD. He is walking a tightrope the entire 16 months as he risks his life. He was doing this at the same time as the Knapp Commission hearings were going on. He eventually testified and exposed the extent of the departmental corruption. An engrossing read.
Christopher
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
****1/2: page-turning true story of NYPD corruption in the early 70's; was made into a great film by Sidney Lumet. Read this instead of Don Winslow's The Force.
Geni
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good grief, this book is poorly written.
Phil Segal
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A real page turner and a great book to read if you hate relaxing or unclenching your jaw.
Kris
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Robert
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers not afraid to face the ambiguity of human nature
Recommended to Robert by: A friend
Shelves: harsh, reality, police
This account of a police officer breaking a code of silence is intense. Robert Daley does a great job telling the story of Robert Leuci, a police officer torn between his duty as a cop and also his human instincts. Right, wrong... good, bad... they become horrifically intertwined. In a way, it was tough to read. But worth it.
Joshua Emil
Reads like a novel but lacks pictures
Beverly Hollandbeck
A policeman publicly reveals corruption in NYPD. This is the story of either a rat or a hero. It's easy to see both attitudes coming from his peers or prosecutors, respectively. The author treats Leuci with compassion, but it's difficult to overlook the ease with which cops regularly took bribes and kickbacks from crooks and drug dealers as SOP, including our rat/hero.
Travis Kendall
A really good (true) cop story. This a story filled with greed, corruption, and violence. One thing, after reading about the corruption and some of the sleazy things these cops did the ending may not sit well with some people. Still, this is a pretty good read.
Chamie
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for all law enforcement!! I loved this book! I have another book by Bob Leuci the subject of the book. Can't wait to read his perspective of the situation.
Janitor-X
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great story, more-or-less well written. It surprises me not that narcotics cops are constantly torn between good and bad, but it's still affecting.
Juliet
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fun nonfiction about police corruption in New York City int the 1970s.
Anthony
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
An excellent account of corruption in the NYPD.

Karen
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at big city policing and corruption.
David
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was definitely drawn into the author's dilemma ... who are the good guys?
Dave
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
An engrossing personal history as well as a history of the NYPD during one of its most important transitions, with interesting perspectives on institutional change.
Ken
Hari Ayyar
Dec 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sports Guy
  • Breakdown (Alex Delaware, #31)
  • The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
  • The Killing Zone: How & Why Pilots Die
  • Wilful Behaviour (Commissario Brunetti, #11)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • Gap Creek
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • Roadside Crosses (Kathryn Dance, #2)
  • Diamonds Are Forever (James Bond, #4)
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • The Wrecker (Isaac Bell, #2)
  • A Maiden's Grave
  • The Big Nowhere (L.A. Quartet, #2)
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
Robert Daley is the author of seventeen novels and eleven non-fiction books. Born and brought up in New York, he graduated from Fordham University, did his military service in the Air Force and began writing stories, articles and books immediately afterward. He was a New York Times foreign correspondents for six years based in France but covering stories from Russia to Ireland to Tunisia, fifteen ...more
“You got a gun, you get in trouble. I don't need no gun. I got a little hatchet that I keep under the seat of my car. Some son of a bitch bangs into my car, I jump out and beat him with the hatchet.” 0 likes