Start by marking “The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)

The Fires of Heaven

(The Wheel of Time #5)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  119,323 ratings  ·  2,279 reviews
The Wheel of Time ® is a PBS Great American Read Selection! Now in development for TV!

Since its debut in 1990, The Wheel of Time® by Robert Jordan has captivated millions of readers around the globe with its scope, originality, and compelling characters.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is
Mass Market Paperback, 989 pages
Published October 15th 1994 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Fires of Heaven, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tejasvi (Parchment Magic) Good question. The ring is described as having only one side, implying that it is shaped like a Möbius strip, though it has not been explicitly…moreGood question. The ring is described as having only one side, implying that it is shaped like a Möbius strip, though it has not been explicitly mentioned anywhere that I have seen. (less)
David Rosen The quote appears on the bottom of page 617, in the October 1994 First U.S. Mass Market Edition. ISBN 0812550306

·  119,323 ratings  ·  2,279 reviews

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

For being such a long book (nearly 1000 pages in my trade paperback copy), amazingly little happens in The Fires of Heaven, and this is why so many readers have abandoned this otherwise interesting story. Approximately the first third of the novel contains so much recap and repetition that, if I'd had "my hair in a proper braid," I would have been yanking it as often as Nynaeve does.

The formula for the first 100 pages or so goes something like this: One or
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with patience
Shelves: fantasy, 2-star-reads
The Fires of Heaven bored me to tears. Nothing happened. My favourite character wasn’t even present. I feel like the story hasn’t progressed since The Shadow Rising.

It's 900+ pages of nothingness!

The problem with epic fantasy is that is can easily become too long. It’s usually filled with big descriptive passages, history and lore with a huge cast of characters in order to fully illustrate the world. And I usually love it, as I have done with books in this series, but the story needs to move f
Em Lost In Books
Fifth book in the series and I must say Jordan is still keeping things interesting. True, at some it felt like story is stagnant but soon he threw in some action and I was hooked again.

This book marks the absence of Perrin. I was expecting him to do great things in this book especially after that heroic performance in book 4 but sadly his name was mentioned here and there only, and not a single glimpse. I was very sad throughout the book because of it.

Elayne, Nynaeve, Aviendha and Rand, more tha
Foomy
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I like to call Volume 1 in the "Women Hating Men" trilogy. At almost no point in these three books did women interacting with men consist of anything beyond: insulting men, assaulting men, sniffing at men, or thinking about how stupid men are compared to all the omniscient women. I almost didn't finish this book because of all the negative energy towards men.

Lessons I learned from this trilogy.

1) It is always a man's fault. Always.
2) Women are always smarter than men.
3) It is okay to break
Markus
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
“Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purge the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope this side of death.”

The White Tower is shattered by a brutal struggle for power. The remaining Forsaken enter the fray, as kings and queens dance to their tunes in secret. And the greatest army the Westlands have seen in thousands of years emerge from the Waste, as the clans of the Aiel cross the Spine of the World at the command of He Who Comes With The Dawn.

The Fires o
Choko
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.5 ***

A sprint to catch up with the buddy read at BB&B WoT crowd!

This is an amazing Epic Fantasy full of excitement, drama, wonderful as well as ridiculous situations, very flawed main characters, and a feeling of enchantment which is almost unattainable for most authors... Robert Jordan has made us already fall in love with all our thick headed leading boys, creatures, and girls, but in this book he tests our patience with them as readers, because he shows how VERY FLAWED they can get
Robin (Bridge Four)
Another month and another Wheel of Time book down.

This is epic high fantasy at its best. Rich engaging world with a lot of different PoVs and exciting happenings everywhere.

A few points of interest:

Rand - gets his groove on with a special lady and Lanfear looses her mind over it. But he also becomes more of a strong leader everyday.

Nynaeve - Unfortunately almost all the female characters in this get a personality change and spend most their time bickering and postering with each other enough to
Dana Ilie
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Fires of Heaven is notable for its heavy focus on Nynaeve and the almost tangential menagerie storyline, its introduction of some major themes and types of action sequences we will see much more of, and for the first time the complete absence of a major character (Perrin). Along with Lord of Chaos, The Fires of Heaven probably has the best climax of any of the books in the series.
The ending was probably the Wheel of Time moment that induced the most emotions for me. I’ve enjoyed the fantasy
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

This book was published in 1993. I was born in the same year as 'The Fires of Heaven' released. It took me 24 years later to read 'The Fires of Heaven'.

I am so please to come back reading 'The Wheel of Time'.

I love this book a lot same as I love
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Full review to come, but for now, here are some random observations:

The book started out strong, with those tricky Forsaken up to their shenanigans, which is always fun to watch.

But as Rand and company traveled without getting anywhere, things got slower...

...and slower...

...and sllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwer!

But then Nynaeve and Elayne met a circus menagerie, which was really cool!

And the Forsaken started causing trouble again, so my interest was once again piqued.

But then a battle that had been
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Wheel weaves as The Wheel wills - this is Moiraine's favorite saying. In this book all of the Forsaken plot against The Dragon Reborn practically in broad daylight, high lords and ladies in different kingdoms pursue their own interests - the Dark One be damned, and the troubles in the White Tower split the Aes Sedai into two fractions. The interesting part about the latter is that I counted exactly two (arguably three) full Aes Sedai who try to support The Dragon Reborn with only one of them ...more
Richard Bray
To this point, I’ve enjoyed my re-read of THE WHEEL OF TIME, but I struggled at times to wade through this one. The length — nearing 1,000 pages in the mass-market paperback edition — wasn’t so much the problem as the character Nynaeve.

To this point in the series I’ve been mostly positive about Jordan’s use of women. There’s no disguising the fact that WHEEL OF TIME is heavily inspired by LORD OF THE RINGS, and seeing Jordan correct one of Tolkien’s weaknesses — the role of women in his stories
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Like all the rest of the Wheel of Time books this was an enjoyable and engaging read. It was not quite as well paced as the 4th book in the series, but Jordan has a knack for keeping my attention even when not a lot is actually happening. A sure sign of a master storyteller.

The biggest shock was that this book did not feature Perrin at all! That left Rand and the pairing of Nynaeve and Elayne as the main POV characters. Luckily that worked out well enough as both story arcs were good. Rand and
Adam
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny, because if you read other's reviews of this book, you'll notice that folks start to split into two camps. They're either ridiculously addicted and love it, or they're getting frustrated. They don't want a 400 plus page book in a series that should have been a trilogy. They don't like the fact that Jordan is "getting all epic on your ass" in this continuing study of the adventures of our characters. They don't like the fact that there are 1239724897923489084 more books after this one ...more
Dee
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-classic
I'm sorry, but by this point, if I had to read once more about "smoothed faced" ageless women (and insert many other repeated phrases of your choice here), I was going to lose my mind. I kept reading the books for the sake of completion, but by book 5, I was rapidly losing patience and interest. I think these books suffered from the syndrome of many long-running book (and TV) series--the lack of an overall cohesive plotline and the presence of far too many characters to keep active in an otherwi ...more
Jonathan Terrington

In a series as long as The Wheel of Time you get a lot of ups and downs. And my reaction to reading a series changes each time I read it. Where the previous book, number four of fourteen, is one of the greatest in the series, this follow up drops in pace and all around quality.

The way I would consider this book is like this:

Start (first 200 pages) : slow, very dry and missing that touch of magic
Middle (200-400 pages): picked up the pace but a lot of filler content focusing on politicising
End (4
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
On hold at 55%. I got sick of seeing it on my currently reading shelf lol.
Kyle
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wheel of Time series represents, for me, the perfect example of a guilty pleasure in the world of fantasy.

This series is not actually written very well. Robert Jordan was not a very good wordsmith, and he really only knew how to say and describe things one way. His characters are generally unbelievable, and have ridiculous dialogue. The plot is tremendously predictable, and is heavily influenced (close to the point of being unoriginal) by the fantasy works that came before. The whole story i
Rob
Executive Summary: I liked this a lot more on a second read than I did on my first.

Audiobook: Another fantastic job by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

Full Review
I really liked Wheel of Time as a whole on my first read through, but I felt like things slow down a lot during the middle books. On my first read Perrin was my favorite character and Nynaeve annoyed me for much of the series.

This book had no Perrin in it whatsoever. Probably because much of the last book focused on him. It also had a
Dirk Grobbelaar
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Tricksy review!

This is my second attempt at trying to review The Fires of Heaven. I've got some pretty mixed feelings about the book. First of all, this is obviously a massive story, and most of what happens here underlines that fact. However, something that detracted from the epic sweep of the proceedings is the way the women are portrayed. For one thing, grown women going around strapping other grown women on the backside? Considering that about half, if not more, of this tome is dedicated to
Branwen *of House Targaryen*
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of epic fantasy
I cannot speak highly enough of this series. Its sweeping epic storytelling just blows so many other fantasy series out of the water. This is the fifth book in the Wheel of Time series. We don't see any of Perrin and Faile in this book, it mostly goes back and forth between Elayne and Nyneave fighting to get to Salidar unseen by Moghedian so they can seek the aid of the Aes Sedai, and Matt, Rand, Moiraine, Egwene, and Aviendha leading the Aiel from the Three Fold Land into cities like Cairhen an ...more
Steffan
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars
Ashley
This is the first Wheel of Time book I haven't enjoyed more than the last. I was hoping the loss of narrative control I'd been warned about would start later for me than book five. It varies from person to person, from all the reviews I've read; some people note a decline starting with this one, others as late as eight, some never (though those are rare, at least in my friends' GR reviews). Even though I ended up enjoying this book more than I enjoyed the first book in the series (which I though ...more
Damla
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bitirdim. Bitirince okumak için aklımda başka bir kitap vardı aslında ama şimdi canım 6. ciltle seriye devam etmek istiyor. Her kitap bir öncekinden daha güzeldi.
Mary-Ann
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Another solid entry in the WoT series. Minor quibbles here and there, but otherwise highly enjoyable fantasy.

SPOILERS PEOPLE.

Highlights: (view spoiler)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

SO. Most of my favorite things in this series are in play now. I'm particularly fond of the time spent in Ebou Dar and a couple of other things that are still in development, but, yeah, we are
Ryan
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At my gym, we treadmill drones watch several television screens. We used to have ESPN, but it's been cut in favor of another Faux ... I mean Fox ... News screen. There are also several CNNs. It's quite frustrating because neither CNN nor Fox reports the news.

It's all theater.

Both stations have an obvious formula to grind. Fox's spin will always involve a plot on the left to overtake and corrupt America, followed by an impotent but self-righteous two minutes hate session against NPR or the New Yo
Matt Brady
Part 6 - Why Does A World With A System Of Cyclical Reincarnation Have A Word For Heaven?

This is a reread of the entire Wheel of Time, and there may be spoilers ahead for the whole series. It’s also pretty long and disjointed, in what I’m going to pretend is a clever meta-commentary on the series itself.

Aw yeah. That’s the good shit. That’s the Wheel of Time I remember. Or ..... is it??!?

Well, kinda.

First off I need to tell a little story. This was the first Wheel of Time book I ever read. You s
Wanda
I would certainly have to say that I find this series addicting. Once I begin one of these mammoth tomes, I feel the need to keep reading until the end. Despite the reservations that I may have about the characterization of both men and women. Because everyone in this series seems to be as stubborn as mules and to have nasty tempers. Part of me really wants to know what Mr. Jordan was like--tempermental and hard-headed perhaps? Pure speculation on my part, but what else am I to think?

Only five v
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • New Spring: The Graphic Novel
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth, #5)
  • Natural Ordermage (The Saga of Recluce, #14)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)
“The oak fought the wind and was broken, the willow bent when it must and survived.” 303 likes
“Always leave a way out, unless you really want to find out how hard a man can fight when he’s nothing to lose.” 112 likes