Start by marking “The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)

The Path of Daggers

(The Wheel of Time #8)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  101,175 ratings  ·  1,877 reviews
The Seanchan invasion force is in possession of Ebou Dar. Nynaeve, Elayne, and Aviendha head for Caemlyn and Elayne's rightful throne, but on the way they discover an enemy much worse than the Seanchan.

In Illian, Rand vows to throw the Seanchan back as he did once before. But signs of madness are appearing among the Asha'man.

In Ghealdan, Perrin faces the intrigues of
Mass Market Paperback, First Mass Market Edition, 685 pages
Published December 15th 1999 by Tor Books (first published October 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Path of Daggers, please sign up.
Simona I'm not a native speaker either. The vocabulary isn't the simplest, I do need sometimes to look up some words on a dictionary but the more you read…moreI'm not a native speaker either. The vocabulary isn't the simplest, I do need sometimes to look up some words on a dictionary but the more you read the easier the vocabulary gets. I would say you should give it a try, if it's too hard to read then you can always stop. Hope this helps.(less)

·  101,175 ratings  ·  1,877 reviews

Start your review of The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
These books hold a special place. It's just that simple.
Markus
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Usually my reviewing style includes a plot synopsis at the beginning, but through experience Ive come to the realisation that its most often a huge advantage when the book actually has a plot.

This was essentially Interlude: the Book. No plot development, no character development, no setting development, no... development. At all. And you don't need to tell me it gets worse. I know.

The chapters written from the viewpoint of the main protagonists are downright boring. Quite the opposite is true
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So . . . I debated long and hard about how to rate THE PATH OF DAGGERS, book 8 in Robert Jordan's WHEEL OF TIME . . . I think by now it's pretty obvious that I love this series, but . . .

1. No Mat.

Em Lost In Books
Slow like it's predecessor but few major events happened in this book which in turn make the story in next book look very exciting.
Merphy Napier
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, two-stars, adult
full video review here! https://youtu.be/Zpc_9RJ99cY
Robin (Bridge Four)
Month 8 and Book 8 go hand in hand with my buds at Buddies Books & Baubles

description

This will forever be THE BOOK WITHOUT MAT....

When The Wheel of Time began there was Rand, Perrin and Mat. I didn't even like Mat very much. It wasn't until maybe book 3 or 4 (seriously they start to run together) that his character became semi interesting. Now he is one of my favorites and he is missing the entire book.

Instead we have Aes Sedea shenanigans. Really I'm still of the opinion that if you can channel the
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The best thing I can say about The Path of Daggers is that it is significantly shorter than the last few novels have been -- only 700 pages (mass market paperback) compared to the 900-1100 page novels that have preceded it. There is much less of the repetitive backstory. I guess Mr. Jordan finally realized that new readers aren't jumping in at this point.

However, that's not to say that there are 700 pages of plot here, either. For again, most of the pages
Choko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with the WoT fanatics at BB&B!

This book was a bit slower, a bit shorter and all together the book that felt most as a set-up, transition book of all up to now... The action was a bit choppy, which is not very typical for Jordan, but the banter made the book - all the characters with their quirks and the intricate games of hierarchy and politics, are deliciously masterful, but still, this book suffered form the lack of one of the main characters - Mat was MIA.... The
James
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Book 8 of the Wheel of Time really gets a bad rap. Contrary to common wisdom, plenty happens in this book. The problem, I think, is that nothing gets resolved. (Not having any Mat, especially after the cliffhanger at the end of book 7, doesn't help either.) Is it ridiculous for a fantasy series to still be setting things up 8 books in? Especially when that series was supposed to be 6 books long? OK, yeah, it is. But taken by itself, The Path of Daggers isn't a bad story.

Oddly enough, the story
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was another fun instalment in the WoT series. Just like the last book plot advancement was moving at a snails pace but we did get a few interesting developments and the story was always entertaining. It is the characters, Jordan's storytelling, and the sheer size of the world that make this such a great fantasy series.

So what actually happened in this 8th WoT book?

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

Most of our favourite characters went on much as the have been doing for the last few books!

Egwene - She
Hannah Greendale
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Path of Daggers offers a few epic moments, but they are few and far between. The intervening chapters are clogged with long-winded descriptions of the same caravans trekking through one gateway after another. Breathtaking at its finest moments; tedious at its worst.
Flows of saidin spun across the sky, Wind and Water and Fire. Fire. The sky truly did rain lightning. A hundred bolts at once, hundreds, forked blue-white shafts stabbing down as far as he could see. The hills before him erupted.
Ryan
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We tend to root for anti-heroes, but every now and then, authors dare to set a real stinker at the centerpiece of their stories. Sometimes it works.

Logan Mountstewart from William Boyd's Any Human Heart comes to mind. Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer qualifies, I think. And before we certify all shepherds as pure-at-heart heroes, check out Halldor Laxness's Bjartur in Independent People.

But these are all examples drawn from the literary canon. What happens when fantasy, a genre often prone to
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the slowest books of the series. Usually Mat saves the day even when nobody else does anything of value in a book, but this time Mat is not here. This is especially infuriating considering that his plot line ended in a huge cliffhanger in the previous book. Perrin's absence in book 5 is hardly noticeable; Mat's absence here is, especially considering the slow-moving overall plot.

It would be unfair to say that nothing at all happens here. I counted four fairly major events in the
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
The epic Buddies Books & Baubles reread of the Wheel of Time is still in full swing as number 8 is moved to the DONE pile. As with the last book, this one was a slower paced read, but there was lots to enjoy. Except for the lack of Mat. Why Robert Jordan, why?!?!?

description

The stuff that went down: (view spoiler)
Hasham Rasool
Ashley
My crawl through this series continues. To be honest, I'd optimistically hoped that I'd be able to finish it by the end of 2017. I was in a good position to, having already read the first five books. Nine books in twelve months? Easy peasy. Except . . . each book has gotten progressively harder to get through. Less and less happens. The flaws stand out more as the plot thins. I've gotten through three of these books in ten months. Even if I manage to do one per month from here on out, I won't be ...more
Maria Dimitrova
Monthly buddy read (well it was more stalking this time since I couldn't really participate in the discussion) with the fantasy fanatics over at BB&B.

This keeps on getting better and better! I can't get enough of this world! There're simply no words to describe this!

One of the major plotlines from the past several books finally found it's resolution - the Bowl of Winds was finally used and the weather is on it's way to normal. Though I guess that going from extreme heat and drought to
Rob
Executive Summary: This is definitely one of the weaker books in the series so far, and there are a large number of pages where it feels like very little happens. I'm still enjoying my reread, but I know that things will only get slower before they finally pick back up again.

Audiobook: Doing this book in audio is pretty much a must for me now. I don't think I'd have managed to read it very quickly otherwise. Micheal Kramer and Kate Reading are fantastic as always.

Full Review
This book should
Kyle
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The Wheel of Time series represents, for me, the perfect example of a guilty pleasure in the world of fantasy.

This series is not actually written very well. Robert Jordan was not a very good wordsmith, and he really only knew how to say and describe things one way. His characters are generally unbelievable, and have ridiculous dialogue. The plot is tremendously predictable, and is heavily influenced (close to the point of being unoriginal) by the fantasy works that came before. The whole story
David
I congratulate everyone who has the perseverance to continue on while envying those who had the force of will to just forget about how this epic story is supposed to end. Here we are at book 8 and like book 7, very little of the main plot actually happens. Most of the book are again devoted to describing in excruciating detail of how the main characters tend to act and think, with very little variation, mostly accomplishing nothing except introduce filler and making characters feel ...more
Phrynne
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and what a great series this is turning out to be. There was a lot more action in this one (which is number 8) and a lot of character development. I am listening to the series on audio book and was quite surprised when it suddenly finished right in the middle of so many major events. Now I have to start straight into the next book. How lucky they are all published and I do not have to wait weeks or even years for the next instalment!
Danny H
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Its about here that everything slows down, and it works perfectly. We get more detail and a lot more depth. ...more
seak
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably like most people with this series, I have a love-hate relationship with the Wheel of Time. I really love the world and the writing and Jordan does a great job with the characters, even the ones I can't stand.

This book really shows the bloat in the series, but I think also seriously tries to turn a corner as far as contracting the plot instead of expanding it more. I say tries, because I'm not quite sure if it succeeds.

Seriously, if people could just stay dead, that would solve a lot of
YouKneeK
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Path of Daggers is the eighth book in The Wheel of Time. I enjoyed it as much as the previous books. I sound like a broken record, but maybe that's appropriate for a series called The Wheel of Time...

Quite a few small and not-so-small threads made some significant progress and there were several things I particularly enjoyed reading about. If I didnt have the next book queued up and ready to go, I might have complained that I wanted to spend more time with some of the different storylines.
Richard Bray
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Im starting to wonder if Ive made a mistake in deciding that I wanted to complete THE WHEEL OF TIME by reading all the books in the series consecutively. With THE PATH OF DAGGERS now under my belt, Im eight books into the 14-book saga, and I cant honestly say that I feel any closer to the conclusion than I was three or four books ago.

When I began reading THE WHEEL OF TIME, I was a senior in high school, so I was able to read the first seven or eight books consecutively without having to wait for
Jonathan Terrington

There are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Time series but there is plenty of room for re-reading. However, unfortunately - at least for myself - this is the point in the series where everything started to become slow. I don't find that it became any less enjoyable, but nothing really happens in this book and in the two following. From books 8 to 10 the material could easily have been condensed into one solid 800 page novel rather than three separate 600 to 800 page novels.

What Robert
Ivana Azap Feješ
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
There wasn't very much of Met in this book (I guess everyone need a break at some point of this looong story;)), so I will reminiscence on some details about Mat, that is the best bloody character I've ever read!!!

Blood and bloody ashes! -Mat Cauthon, all the time

"I read a book once." -Mat Cauthon

It was a simple truth; the Creator made women so men would not find life too easy. - Matrim Cauthon

"Yes, I'm alive. I'm usually pretty good at staying alive. I've only failed one time that I can
Sotiris Karaiskos
The 8th part of this magnificent series, with things evolving in the same rhythms as the previous one, with most protagonists having intense activity. The Dragon has somehow balanced things, with the help of consultants who accept to listen to their advice and with his allies continues his course, but his successes have exacerbated his self-confidence and make him carelessness, causing problems as well carelessness is the only thing he does not need when its enemies make plans, and the invaders ...more
Trent
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wheel-of-time
4.5 Stars

Most people would say that this is where the plot really starts to stall in Wheel of Time, but that was not my experience at all! Perhaps it was because it is the shortest book in the series, but I flew through this one and enjoyed (almost) every second.

The first 1/3 of the book is dominated by Elayne, Nynaeve, and Aviendha's escape from Ebou Dar and use of the Bowl of the Winds to fix the weather. While the Bowl of the Winds scene was cool, the eacape from the Seanchan was straight up
Em*Greedy* (Iniya)
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A Verbose book as usual, with lot of descriptions and some significant incidents.. I would have liked this better if it had not been mostly about the girls -_-.

Missed Mat in this book.. And end chapters were better than the rest of the book..

• Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • Skyward (Skyward, #1)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11)