Start by marking “The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)

The Path of Daggers

(The Wheel of Time #8)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  116,175 ratings  ·  2,302 reviews
The Seanchan invasion force is in possession of Ebou Dar. Nynaeve, Elayne, and Aviendha head for Caemlyn and Elayne's rightful throne, but on the way they discover an enemy much worse than the Seanchan.

In Illian, Rand vows to throw the Seanchan back as he did once before. But signs of madness are appearing among the Asha'man.

In Ghealdan, Perrin faces the intrigues of White
Mass Market Paperback, First Mass Market Edition, 685 pages
Published December 15th 1999 by Tor Books (first published October 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Path of Daggers, please sign up.
Simona I'm not a native speaker either. The vocabulary isn't the simplest, I do need sometimes to look up some words on a dictionary but the more you read th…moreI'm not a native speaker either. The vocabulary isn't the simplest, I do need sometimes to look up some words on a dictionary but the more you read the easier the vocabulary gets. I would say you should give it a try, if it's too hard to read then you can always stop. Hope this helps.(less)

·  116,175 ratings  ·  2,302 reviews

Start your review of The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
These books hold a special place. It's just that simple. ...more
Markus
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Usually my reviewing style includes a plot synopsis at the beginning, but through experience I’ve come to the realisation that it’s most often a huge advantage when the book actually has a plot.

This was essentially Interlude: the Book. No plot development, no character development, no setting development, no... development. At all. And you don't need to tell me it gets worse. I know.

The chapters written from the viewpoint of the main protagonists are downright boring. Quite the opposite is true
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So . . . I debated long and hard about how to rate THE PATH OF DAGGERS, book 8 in Robert Jordan's WHEEL OF TIME . . . I think by now it's pretty obvious that I love this series, but . . .

1. No Mat.

Lik
Em Lost In Books
Slow like it's predecessor but few major events happened in this book which in turn make the story in next book look very exciting. ...more
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The best thing I can say about The Path of Daggers is that it is significantly shorter than the last few novels have been -- only 700 pages (mass market paperback) compared to the 900-1100 page novels that have preceded it. There is much less of the repetitive backstory. I guess Mr. Jordan finally realized that new readers aren't jumping in at this point.

However, that's not to say that there are 700 pages of plot here, either. For again, most of the pages
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time #8), Robert Jordan

The Path of Daggers is a fantasy novel by American author Robert Jordan, the eighth book of his series The Wheel of Time. It was published by Tor Books and released on October 20, 1998. This book is the shortest book in the main Wheel of Time series, consisting of a prologue and 31 chapters.

Elayne Trakand, Nynaeve al'Meara, Aviendha, and their coalition of channelers use the ter'angreal called the 'Bowl of the Winds' to reverse the unnatur
Robin (Bridge Four)
Month 8 and Book 8 go hand in hand with my buds at Buddies Books & Baubles

description

This will forever be THE BOOK WITHOUT MAT....

When The Wheel of Time began there was Rand, Perrin and Mat. I didn't even like Mat very much. It wasn't until maybe book 3 or 4 (seriously they start to run together) that his character became semi interesting. Now he is one of my favorites and he is missing the entire book.

Instead we have Aes Sedea shenanigans. Really I'm still of the opinion that if you can channel the one po
Choko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with the WoT fanatics at BB&B!

This book was a bit slower, a bit shorter and all together the book that felt most as a set-up, transition book of all up to now... The action was a bit choppy, which is not very typical for Jordan, but the banter made the book - all the characters with their quirks and the intricate games of hierarchy and politics, are deliciously masterful, but still, this book suffered form the lack of one of the main characters - Mat was MIA.... The hor
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the slowest books of the series. Usually Mat saves the day even when nobody else does anything of value in a book, but this time Mat is not here. This is especially infuriating considering that his plot line ended in a huge cliffhanger in the previous book. Perrin's absence in book 5 is hardly noticeable; Mat's absence here is, especially considering the slow-moving overall plot.

It would be unfair to say that nothing at all happens here. I counted four fairly major events in the b
James
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Book 8 of the Wheel of Time really gets a bad rap. Contrary to common wisdom, plenty happens in this book. The problem, I think, is that nothing gets resolved. (Not having any Mat, especially after the cliffhanger at the end of book 7, doesn't help either.) Is it ridiculous for a fantasy series to still be setting things up 8 books in? Especially when that series was supposed to be 6 books long? OK, yeah, it is. But taken by itself, The Path of Daggers isn't a bad story.

Oddly enough, the story b
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was another fun instalment in the WoT series. Just like the last book plot advancement was moving at a snails pace but we did get a few interesting developments and the story was always entertaining. It is the characters, Jordan's storytelling, and the sheer size of the world that make this such a great fantasy series.

So what actually happened in this 8th WoT book?

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

Most of our favourite characters went on much as the have been doing for the last few books!

Egwene - She
Hannah Greendale
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adult, fiction
The Path of Daggers offers a few epic moments, but they are few and far between. The intervening chapters are clogged with long-winded descriptions of the same caravans trekking through one gateway after another. Breathtaking at its finest moments; tedious at its worst.
Flows of saidin spun across the sky, Wind and Water and Fire. Fire. The sky truly did rain lightning. A hundred bolts at once, hundreds, forked blue-white shafts stabbing down as far as he could see. The hills before him erupted.
Ryan
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We tend to root for anti-heroes, but every now and then, authors dare to set a real stinker at the centerpiece of their stories. Sometimes it works.

Logan Mountstewart from William Boyd's Any Human Heart comes to mind. Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer qualifies, I think. And before we certify all shepherds as pure-at-heart heroes, check out Halldor Laxness's Bjartur in Independent People.

But these are all examples drawn from the literary canon. What happens when fantasy, a genre often prone to por
Constantine
Rating: Very Good

Genre: Epic Fantasy

The Path of Daggers is the eighth book in the Wheel of Time series. The story despite being shorter than the previous book is somehow slower in pace in some parts. At times I felt nothing was happening and at other times I felt a lot was happening. So there is definitely some problem here and there with the pacing.

The previous book (A Crown of Swords) had a cliffhanger in regards to Matt’s story and there is no resolution to that here because Matt is complete
Wanda
Robert Jordan really believed in drawing out a story! Here I am, just finished book 8 of this series, just past the halfway mark through the tale. It makes me a bit weary, honestly, knowing that I still have six thick volumes ahead of me before things are resolved.

In this fantasy world, men & women believe that clear communication is impossible. Everyone seems to completely lose the ability to think when they fall in love. And people do fall in love, despite the hostility between the sexes. It m
Mayim de Vries
“Fire and ice, and death was coming. But he was steel. He was steel.”

This book has all the advantages and disadvantages of the earlier instalments in the Wheel of Time series, of course, there are more of the former, but personally, I felt a little less excited than in the previous volumes. Hope it gets better in the next one keeps me going.

If you have come here, you know what the Wheel of Time is and you know what demands. You know that there are more protagonists than ants in the anthill, that
Emma
May 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The dullest instalment??

Honestly the more times I reread the series, the gladder I am that Sanderson finished it. RJ would have fluffed it for sure. Fight me...
Ashley
My crawl through this series continues. To be honest, I'd optimistically hoped that I'd be able to finish it by the end of 2017. I was in a good position to, having already read the first five books. Nine books in twelve months? Easy peasy. Except . . . each book has gotten progressively harder to get through. Less and less happens. The flaws stand out more as the plot thins. I've gotten through three of these books in ten months. Even if I manage to do one per month from here on out, I won't be ...more
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
The epic Buddies Books & Baubles reread of the Wheel of Time is still in full swing as number 8 is moved to the DONE pile. As with the last book, this one was a slower paced read, but there was lots to enjoy. Except for the lack of Mat. Why Robert Jordan, why?!?!?

description

The stuff that went down: (view spoiler)
Hasham Rasool
Sud666
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Book 8 of the Wheel of Time was a vast improvement over Book 7.

A quick gist of the events: Elyane, Nynaeve and Aviendha use the Bowl of Winds to reverse the Dark One's heat wave. Then Elyane goes back to Andor to claim her throne.

Perrin goes to meet the Dragon's Prophet, Masema and bring him back to Rand. But his irritating wife, Faile, manages to get captured by the Shaido Aiel.

Egwene takes her band of Aes Sedai to start the siege of Tar Valon.

Rand fights against the Seanchan forces. There is
Alina
Way too many characters, especially the Cairhienin and Illianer and Tairen lords, plus the secondary Aes Sedai/Asha'man - there are times (not even few) when I read a name and could not remeber who that person was, had to look it up.. ...more
Derf H
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s about here that everything slows down, and it works perfectly. We get more detail and a lot more depth.
Sotiris Karaiskos
The 8th part of this magnificent series, with things evolving in the same rhythms as the previous one, with most protagonists having intense activity. The Dragon has somehow balanced things, with the help of consultants who accept to listen to their advice and with his allies continues his course, but his successes have exacerbated his self-confidence and make him carelessness, causing problems as well carelessness is the only thing he does not need when its enemies make plans, and the invaders ...more
seak
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably like most people with this series, I have a love-hate relationship with the Wheel of Time. I really love the world and the writing and Jordan does a great job with the characters, even the ones I can't stand.

This book really shows the bloat in the series, but I think also seriously tries to turn a corner as far as contracting the plot instead of expanding it more. I say tries, because I'm not quite sure if it succeeds.

Seriously, if people could just stay dead, that would solve a lot of
Phrynne
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and what a great series this is turning out to be. There was a lot more action in this one (which is number 8) and a lot of character development. I am listening to the series on audio book and was quite surprised when it suddenly finished right in the middle of so many major events. Now I have to start straight into the next book. How lucky they are all published and I do not have to wait weeks or even years for the next instalment!
Maria Dimitrova
Monthly buddy read (well it was more stalking this time since I couldn't really participate in the discussion) with the fantasy fanatics over at BB&B.

This keeps on getting better and better! I can't get enough of this world! There're simply no words to describe this!

One of the major plotlines from the past several books finally found it's resolution - the Bowl of Winds was finally used and the weather is on it's way to normal. Though I guess that going from extreme heat and drought to torrent r
David
I congratulate everyone who has the perseverance to continue on while envying those who had the force of will to just forget about how this epic story is supposed to end. Here we are at book 8 and like book 7, very little of the main plot actually happens. Most of the book are again devoted to describing in excruciating detail of how the main characters tend to act and think, with very little variation, mostly accomplishing nothing except introduce filler and making characters feel one-dimension ...more
Alex Nieves
I've really enjoyed WoT up to this point. This book ain't it. ...more
Kyle
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The Wheel of Time series represents, for me, the perfect example of a guilty pleasure in the world of fantasy.

This series is not actually written very well. Robert Jordan was not a very good wordsmith, and he really only knew how to say and describe things one way. His characters are generally unbelievable, and have ridiculous dialogue. The plot is tremendously predictable, and is heavily influenced (close to the point of being unoriginal) by the fantasy works that came before. The whole story i

• Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Breach of Peace (The Lawful Times, #0.1)
  • Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
See top shelves…

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11)