Start by marking “M is for Mitten: The Michigan Alphabet” as Want to Read:
M is for Mitten: The Michigan Alphabet

M is for Mitten: The Michigan Alphabet

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Illustrated by Michael G. MonroeWhere was the first mile of highway paved? Who was the 38th President of the United States? What is the nation's most remote National Park? What was the first bottled soda pop in this country? Find the answers to these questions and many more in "M is for Mitten: A Michigan Alphabet. "

Author Annie Appleford has written "M is for Mitten: A Mi
Published September 15th 1999 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about M is for Mitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about M is for Mitten

Hannah
Aug 11, 2017 added it
Read in school and reread now. Still great!
Trish
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, je
Lots of fun facts about Michigan for little kids.
Beth
"M is for Mitten
the shape of our land.
To see lower Michigan
just hold up your hand."

M is for Mitten is a beautiful alphabet tribute to the great state of Michigan. With poems, beautiful artwork, and background information on each page, this book is entertaining and educational. As much as I love to complain about my home state, books like this remind me why I still live here after all these years. Michiganders still have reason to be proud of our state, even with all our difficulties.

This is a gr
Rachel Coleman
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
"M is for Mitten" by Annie Appleford is such a great book to read. I like this book because it makes learning fun. The illustrations of each page really bring the alphabet to life. I would use this book if I could see how the connections were being made. IT would really feel like real life if I could. This book goes through all twenty six letters of the alphabet and relates each letter to an item or person or place special to Michigan. From Kellogg to Ford to White Tailed Deer, this book is abo ...more
Shelby Haltom
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book goes through all twenty six letters of the alphabet and relates each letter to an item or person or place special to Michigan. From Kellogg to Ford to White Tailed Deer, this book is about all things Michigan!
I would use this book if I taught school in Michigan, seeing how connections could be made easily.
Amanda
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I’ve had this book read to me so many times. It’s a total need to read for Michiganders! It gives a rhyme and then it gives you background information of that topic. It’s pretty cool book. It might be a little outdated but it’s worth the read. So read it!
Ashley
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We have been collecting all of these A to Z state books at the library and I think this one is one of my favorites by far. The colors and pictures are bright and beautiful. I learned a few things about Michigan by reading this book as well.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
history facts, information and icons of the state of Michigan
Ashley
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Just bought this for a gift for a friend's child who lives in Saginaw - fabluous way to introduce a home state's history to a child, the illustrations are captivating for adults and children alike!
Leah
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My kids loved this book. They loved learning in detail about the different things that come from or are a part of Michigan. So many mini-lessons can come out of this book.
Austinp
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it
It was very factual. It got very boring.
Ally Simmons
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
An awesome read aloud book for younger students, and a great book for older students to even use to get information about Michigan in for a research project.
Julia
Jared Hines
rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2009
Christina
rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2013