Start by marking “少女革命ウテナ 1” as Want to Read:
少女革命ウテナ 1

少女革命ウテナ 1 (Revolutionary Girl Utena #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  3,247 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
In the first adventure in the historic series, Utena faces a sword duel, an unwelcome engagement, and a mandate to revolutionize the world!
Paperback
Published January 1997 (first published December 11th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about 少女革命ウテナ 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 少女革命ウテナ 1

Katelyn
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it
The premise is deceptively simple and decidedly shoujo - A young girl, distraught by the death of her parents is kissed by a traveling prince and given a ring, told that if she never loses that noble heart of hers it may one day lead her to him. So impressed is she by him, that the little girl vows to become a prince herself one day.

But is that really such a good idea?

Before I continue on with this review (and for the sake of convenience and in regard to this manga's rather short five volume len
Lucy
I'm so glad I read this. I've seen a bit of Utena and I like it, but it's really weird. Probably the weirdest anime I've ever watched - and I've watched Sex Pistols - but it's also really fascinating and even though the fact that nothing is ever explained is infuriating, it always keeps me coming back.

Maybe it's because I knew what to expect, but this was less weird and less confusing than the first few episodes of the anime. I'm so glad I got this for my birthday (thanks Sylwia! xx) and I'm loo
Amanda Lila
I like the theme of this manga. A girl who goes against the whole "all girls need a prince to protect them" thing and decides to be her own prince and save herself. That had to be good, right?! But there are a lot of things that are unclear and bizarre to me. Maybe they get explained better in the other volumes, which I'm not sure I will continue.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Unfortunately, my library has the first 3 Utena volumes in the old-school flipped artwork layout. A page was also ripped out of this volume, but neither thing, I think, really impacted my enjoyment of the first volume. I'm fairly used to the flipped artwork thing, as it was impossible to find manga in its original, Japanese format in the early 2000s when anime started to really find its American audience (and when I got into it as a brand new teenager).

As a self-professed otaku in my teen years,
Lissette
When Utena learns that her parents have died, she throws herself in a river, hoping to drown herself and her grief. A man whom she believes to be a handsome prince rescues her and tells her to grow up strong and noble. Inspired, Utena decides to become a prince herself, wanting to save others as she herself was once saved. But when Utena enters a new school, she finds herself caught up in a dangerous game of swords, power, and possession. If Utena can manage to hold on to her noble spirit, she m ...more
Benji Young
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit, my reasons for loving Utena so much are very similar to my reasons for loving Mulan. As a trans, non-binary person, she gave me someone I could kind of relate to. It was imperfect, and it wasn't 100%, but I could see just a bit of myself in her character, and when I was a preteen exploring my identity I needed that. Utena breaks the gender binary. She wants to be a prince, she prefers to wear the boy's uniform in school, she generally dresses in drag, and she still embraces the parts of ...more
L.A.
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Utena's parents are killed, she decides she doesn't want to live either and throws herself into a river. She's saved by a mysterious man who urges her to grow up strong and noble and Utena, dazzled by the experience, complies...especially since the man promises to return someday.

Kind of hard to avoid being shaped by an experience like that, especially since Utena receives a letter once a year that smells of roses, and is sealed with a rose seal. Trying to solve the mystery leads her to a my
Lina
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I've always heard good things about Revolutionary Girl Utena the anime and so I was interested in reading the original source material in the manga. In Volume One we are introduced to the character of Utena, who wants to be a Prince, because when she was a child a prince saved her and inspired to be a noble protector of those who needed it. You would think the concept might come off as sexist, but Utena is very much feminine, she just engages in activities that are considered masculine. She does ...more
Marumero
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, manga, mindfuck, utena
There is absolutely no way I could love Utena less no matter what version, possible reading of the story or pairing of the charaters because making it gender irrelevant made this story unexplicably infinite and possible in almost every form, fashion and idea.

Tho, the "legitimate plotline" does come as a surprise :D
Bianka
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-read
Five volumes of amazingness. This is a must read for ANYBODY who can handle a little bit of strangeness and coolness all rolled in to one. If you liked the anime, this was a thousand times better. But good luck finding it to read, it's super rare.
yoksan
Jan 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up, manga, wtf
I'm normally a fan of Saitoh Chiho. Been in love with her works since I was in high school. This one, however, left me with a strange feeling. I don't particularly like the plotline, I don't sympathize with the heroine. Overall I don't enjoy it much.

I gave up on the remaining volumes.
Genevra Littlejohn
Pretty. Mostly fluff, like most shojo, but lyrically metaphorical, and the titular character is strong and fierce.
Samrat
A+ message but not really my style. The dialogue is a little simplistic/lost in translation.
Shelby
Beautiful artwork and a plot full of mystique. :-D If you dig pretty boys and headstrong gals, roses, swords, and weird little animals, just read it.
Chrissy
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, fantasy
6/10

"The book is better than the movie/series/whatever!" Yup, we've all heard it, and from my experience 99 times out of 100 rehashes, remakes and adaptations pale in comparison to their source material. Unfortunately the Utena manga fits into that rare, mythical 1% zone. In this case, the source material is indeed a mere shadow of its adaptation.

Not to say the manga is bad. It basically covers the first arc of the show and then jumps to the very end of the last arc, so you're getting what is ge
Dominique
I couldn't get into that much, couldn't finish. I like the anime more
A.
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sequential art diet has recently been lacking in Vitamin Shoujo and this fixed that right up. Annoyed that I can't get the 4th volume from my local library system; also need to rewatch Utena.
Valeria Tapia
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Juri-sama *__*
Jessica
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
different than the anime, but still enjoyable. the scanlation was pretty terrible at first but by the end of the volume, it had improved greatly.
Stephen
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering the I've watched the Anime first, the Manga stands alone. For those unfamiliar with the plot, Utena's parents had died, so she wanders aimlessly around the streets trying to find her happiness aka parents. She accidentally falls into a ditch at the side of the road to be saved by a prince. This prince gives her a signet ring foreshadowing her future encounters with him. So amazed by his nobility, she herself wants to become a prince.

I was surprised at the Manga's small length. Despi
Christina
I first began trying to read this manga during the summer before last summer (so, 2015), but I didn't really have the time, and I was already watching some of the anime, AND the books were overdue, so it just didn't happen. But FINALLY, I've done it! And I give it 4/5 stars because, well, I rated it more of a 3.6/5 and that's just rounding up, isn't it? Ahh, I first checked out several volumes from the Woodneath branch, wonderful memories there. But it seems they don't have any copies anymore! S ...more
Tenoko1
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I dearly love this series. The original story consist of five volumes, plus one extra that is a metaphor(?) or alternate for the original series, maybe?

Anyway, the story starts by telling of this girl who wishes to live and act in a 'princely' manner. To be brave and valiant, just and good, rather than fit into the role of the princess where she feels you are dependant on others and helpless. What sparks this decision is after the death of her parents as a child, she is wandering the streets in
Artemis
2017 EDIT: This is one of my first reviews, and it's embarrassingly outdated. I'll only say that I have matured significantly since first writing it, and 'Revolutionary Girl Utena' is now one of my favourite anime. Goes to show how one's viewpoint in adulthood over childhood and adolescence changes for the better, doesn't it? For further thoughts on the RVU manga series, here is my oh-so well-thought-out review of the deluxe box set. Enjoy!

Years ago, after reading very positive reviews of this m
Charles
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, although the book is in Japanese, I'm going to write a brief review in English.

This is the first manga I have read beginning to end entirely in Japanese. I saw the anime many years ago, and picked this in part because I knew the story and in part because it has furigana. I was right on one account. This volume is...strange to a viewer of the show. Not because the story is strange and surreal (which it is) but rather because the departure from the show seems rather out of place. The first hal
Lovekitty
Revolutionary Girl Utena vol. 1. I simply love this manga with my whole heart! It's nothing but beautiful.

Utena Tenjou is a young teenager whose parents died when she was little. Consumed by grief, a hansom prince approached her one day and cheered her up by telling her never to lose her strength and noble heart. He gave her a ring, and Utena was so inspired and taken by him, she now wants to become a prince herself.
Receiving a letter every year from her prince, one in particular leads Utena t
Eden
Utena's parents died when she was young and she has lived with her aunt ever since. She is kind of a tomboy and she is looking for her prince. The prince from her childhood that saved her. She has thought of him ever since then. But, was it real? Or was it a dream? One day she gets a letter, the same letter that she has gotten every year for the last seven years. It has the scent of roses, but the letter is a little different this time. It says "This year, we will meet."
She decides her prince mu
Anna
It's good, I just liked the anime better so I might be biased. Juri's straightwashing really rubbed me the wrong way though. I know that it wasn't "technically" straightwashing, since it was being produced at the same time as the anime, but still. Anyway, Saitō clearly didn't understand what the anime was doing, because tons of stuff that the anime rips apart and analyzes are played straight here. A lot of the subtext is removed, and the adaptation suffers for it.
But at the end of the day, it's
Rafa Castillo
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.6
Bonito arte, en verdad.
La historia, de momento, es la misma, con un prólogo añadido que explica algunas cosas del pasado de Utena. Verdaderamente, ¡esta historia es asombrosa!
Lo que sí debo decir, de momento prefiero el anime, simplemente porque no encuentro una traducción que fluya bien. Pero eso no es culpa de Be-Papas.
Ah, y tengo entendido que Chiho Saito no quería hacer que Utena y Anthy fueran más que amigas, así que habrá que ver eso. Después de todo, la relación amorosa de nuestras que
Elyse
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series ages ago in high school, but it's been so long I don't really remember them all that well. I've been on a manga kick recently and decided they were worth a re-read.

While the prologue was quite long (and therefore a little off putting), I understand how necessary it is to lay the foundation for Utena's character. Once we finally got to the meat of the story with Utena at the Academy, it flew by all too quickly. There was not enough of it to satisfy me and I'm itching to get my
Kristy Buzbee
I've been meaning to read this one for a while (especially since Alan told me how much the title amused him), and it was interesting. The prologue was crap though - it was either done way earlier than the first chapters or way after as an intro, but I was reading the prologue like "wow this is really stupid." But once ch. 1 started, I got pretty into it. The concept is interesting, and she's just gotten into the World's End and the duels and stuff, trying to figure out why all this psycho stuff ...more
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Vol. 3 (Magic Knight Rayearth I, #3)
  • Codename: Sailor V, Vol. #2 (Codename: Sailor V Renewal Edition, #2)
  • Ceres: Celestial Legend, Vol. 4: Chidori

Revolutionary Girl Utena (5 books)
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 2: To Plant
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 3: To Sprout
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 4: To Bud
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 5: To Blossom
“Man or woman......It doesn't matter! One of strength......And nobility......Is always a prince.” 6 likes
“I want to be......A prince......Not a Princess!
I don't want to be protected! When I'm a prince I'll do the protecting!”
5 likes