Start by marking “Maigret's Christmas: Nine Stories” as Want to Read:
Maigret's Christmas: Nine Stories

Maigret's Christmas: Nine Stories

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  251 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Maigret's Christmas --
Seven little crosses in a notebook --
Maigret and the surly inspector --
The evidence of the altar-boy --
The most obstinate customer in the world --
Death of a nobody --
Sale by auction --
The man in the street --
Maigret in retirement.
Nine short stories make up this delightful holiday-themed collection, each featuring Georges Simenon's famous
detective, Jul
Published November 3rd 2003 by Mariner Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret's Christmas

Chris
A pleasant collection of nine Maigret mysteries. Yes, I said "pleasant," despite the murders and other felonies that are typically at the heart of each short story's plot. While the topic is usually grim, the detective that Georges Simenon conjured is so amusing and wry that it takes the edge off the darker elements. This is more akin to reading Christie's Hercule Poirot or Doyle's Sherlock Holmes than it is Chandler or Hammett. While (to my mild disappointment) not all the stories take place at ...more
Tony
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
MAIGRET’S CHRISTMAS. (1947-1951). Georges Simenon. ***1/2.
This volume, according to jacket information, was Simenon’s first collection of short stories. They were all previously written and published in French magazines between the years 1947 and 1951. I find it difficult to write blurbs about short story collections, and this volume is no different. I can, however, focus on the title story, “Maigret’s Christmas,” and make comments about it. After all, someone must have made the decision that th
4cats
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Great collection of Maigret stories, not all are Christmas related. Simenon is one of those rare birds, an author who writes intelligently, who creates interesting characters, writes great plots and the writing flows easily, making his books a joy to read.
Breakaway Reviewers
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short story for Simenon fans

This is a novella and a quick read, being only five chapters long, but it is good to welcome back familiar characters, and particularly in this story that of Maigret’s wife.

It starts early morning on Christmas Day. Maigret and his wife are visited by two women who are their neighbours. What they have to say starts an immediate investigation and one that unusually is conducted from the famous detective’s Paris apartment.

This is a rather bleak insight into the home li
Hugh Laybourn
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
great suspense, nice twist
Melinda
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Italo  Perazzoli
Summary:

During the christmas' night Colette a young girl receive a doll from a misterious dressed by Santa Claus, who enters furtively into her room,raising two floorboards, why?

Setting:

This is short story if full of suspence and twists, only at the end the reader will know the true identity of Santa Claus. The story is set between the boulevards of Paris in the Christmas day.

Plot:

The plot begins with the description of Maigret the inspector and his wife on their bed and the strategies for plea
Bev
Okay...so it really shouldn't take four days to read a book of short stories. But Maigret's Christmas by Georges Simenon certainly needed the time. It doesn't help that things get crazy around the holiday season--both at home and at work. Goodreads is now gleefully telling me that I'm three books behind (like I don't know that I haven't been reading fast enough)...

That's a long-winded way of telling you all that I'm not going to spend a lot of time on most of my reviews for the rest of the year.
Heather Ames
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
We chose 3 stories out of the 9 offered in this collection. I ended up reading 4 short stories, 3 of which featured Maigret and the last one did not. I enjoyed reading about old haunts of mine when I was young and lived in Paris. Familiar names and places felt like returning to old friends. The completely different methods of policing Paris at the time Simeonon wrote this book felt quaint and decidedly put detection back into being a detective, without all the bells and whistles of forensics or ...more
Gloria
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone; murder at Christmastime; horror-suspense-irony
I only read "Maigret's Christmas", included in another short-story anthology.

Inspector Maigret is approached by some neighbors when a little girl says that Santa Claus visited her room.

Maigret figures out who the man might be and arrests the woman who is the aunt of the little girl.

(view spoiler)
John
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a volume of eight longish short stories and one shortish novel well described by other reviewers. I enjoyed this one much more than the other short story book: Maigret's Pipe. The novel: Maigret in Retirement is absolutely superb. The short stories are also excellent, particularly Seven Little Crosses In A Notebook which actually doesn't feature Maigret at all but is set in his world.

What a genius this man Simenon was!
Dominic
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
A true master. Every reference to the weather, to food and drink, and even to Maigret's beloved pipe, contributes to consolidating the image of Parisian city life. There's a lot to love here: Maigret's calm, his relationship with his colleagues, and some clever plots (though the only one that could be considered complex is "Maigret's Retirement".
Karen
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this book before Christmas, and I just finished it last night, the day after Christmas. It's not that big of a book, but there is a lot to take in.

The pacing is unique. It seems to ramble a bit, but during that ramble some important events occur. Maigret is quite likable. He is much as I would imagine Poirot would be if he were married. And French.

Cindy
Dec 15, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a bit hard to follow at first as the setting is in Paris and I was unsure of how many things were set up. But, after reading a couple I began to get the swing of things and it was a good read.
Katie
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This collection of stories was my first introduction to Georges Simenon's work.
Lesley
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
excellant book.
Chandhrika
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Old school mystery genre - when mystery writers knew what detection was! Fantastic read!
Christie
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Maigret series for his characterization. The mysteries are sometimes weak in plot but I still find them enjoyable.
Kim Fournier
Shelves: 96
1/1/96. No library.
Robin
Nov 11, 2014 marked it as abandoned
I read the first two stories and then quit. Not sure whether the translation was the problem, but I just couldn't get hooked into the characters, and the prose didn't seem to flow well.
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Unfinished but only because I had to return it to the library. I enjoyed the first 4 stories and plan to finish the rest next year!
Leslie
Bashir Ali
Dec 09, 2017
Liz
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories; I liked the last one best.
Grey853
Dec 09, 2008
Althea
Apr 19, 2016
  • Murder at the Lanterne Rouge (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #12)
  • Summertime All the Cats Are Bored
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • A Rumpole Christmas
  • From Bruges with Love (The Pieter Van In Mysteries)
  • Homeric Moments: Clues to Delight in Reading the Odyssey and the Iliad
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • The Thinking Machine
  • Fit and Fabulous in 15 Minutes
  • Victorian Tales of Mystery and Detection: An Oxford Anthology
  • The Mammoth Book of Locked Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes (Mammoth)
  • Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2)
  • Christmas at High Rising
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law
  • Unseduced and Unshaken: The Place of Dignity in a Woman's Choices
  • Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural
  • The Kiss Murder
  • The Blind Man of Seville (Javier Falcon, #1)
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother