Start by marking “Penguin” as Want to Read:
Penguin

Penguin

(Borboletras)

A quirky new tale from a rising talent — in which a bossy little boy receives a surprising comeuppance.

When Ben rips open his present, he finds a penguin inside. "Hello, Penguin!" he says. "What shall we play?" But Penguin says nothing. Even when Ben tickles its belly, sings a funny song, does a dizzy dance, stands on his head, sticks out his tongue, and resorts to increas
Published June 12th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Penguin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguin

Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An adorable book to delve yourself in. It is hardly a minute read, but this duration would be one memorable time for you.
Pooja
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I know I said that I'll be reading serious stuff.

But these penguin books ---- I can't get enough of them!
Debalina
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A 30-second read!

And good 30 seconds! :)

For a quick relief from solving equations or writing codes or whatever are the jobs you really like to do but have become bored after doing them sometime.

Happy reading! :)
Gerry
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been given a set of Penguin book ends for Christmas and having always been an avid Penguin book collector, when I saw a book called 'Penguin' I just had to have it.

And speaking of presents, Ben received a well wrapped present and, undoing it he discovered a penguin inside. He greeted the penguin, 'Hello Penguin!' But the penguin did not speak.

Ben tried again, 'What shall we play', he said holding up the penguin. When there was no reply he resorted to 'Can't you talk?' The penguin still sa
Stephen
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is an instant classic. The kids in my class loved it, and I loved it, too. The drawings are charming and full of personality, and the text is simple but effective, packing a rhythmic punch. PENGUIN is the story of an outgoing boy who is given a reticent penguin as a present. The penguin may be a man of few words, but he proves to be a loyal friend and not the least timid. The story works nicely as either a fantasy (the penguin is a real animal) or as a realistic portrait of Ben's imagi ...more
skippity_doo
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Penguin is just brilliant.

This is one of my go-to choices for Storytime sessions: Penguin is not too long, not too wordy, and has just the right blend of text and picture. The illustrations are clean and unfussy, and allow children to spot what's happening right away. The text lends itself perfectly to being acted out with the story. The 'twist' at the end never fails to give the kids that lovely "ohhhhh" moment when they work out that Penguin just expresses himself a bit differently. Heartwarm
Gwen the Librarian
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites of 2007!
Amy Forrester
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For his birthday Ben got Penguin. “Hello, Penguin!” said Ben. Penguin said nothing. Ben was determined to get Penguin to speak, so he tickled and danced and stood on his head. Penguin said nothing. Ben put Penguin on a rocket and shot him to outer space, but Penguin came back to earth as silent as before. Finally, Ben tried to feed Penguin to a passing blue lion. Unfortunately, the lion decided to eat Ben because he was being so noisy. But Penguin came to Ben’s rescue. And then Penguin spoke to ...more
Dolly
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
This is a very strange story about a little boy who receives a penguin for a pet and is very frustrated when the penguin does not respond to him in any way, despite his very creative efforts. The ending is quite sweet and interesting and while I liked the story, I thought that a similar story, Princess Penelope's Parrot, had a more satisfying and appropriate ending (or perhaps I just like it when naughty children get their comeuppance.) (view spoiler) ...more
Rakisha
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers-Second Graders
Shelves: k-2-read-alouds
This is a hilarious story about a little boy who is frustrated with is mute penguin. Well, he thinks his penguin is mute until something extraordinary happens. The antics that Ben, the little boy, goes through to get his pet Penguin to speak will make adults smile and little ones chuckle as they recognize themselves. (Imagine all of the "I would do this..." statements this book will get from any child or group of children you read it to.)

The writing and the illustrations are spare, but pack a w
Lauren
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
First off, I have a kid named Ben, so having the main character's name be Ben really made it fun for my kids. This really entertained my 3-5 yr old kids, which doesn't happen often in non-rhyming books. The sentences are short and easy and the pictures are simple yet charming. There are funny things that appeal to kids (a lion eats a boy because he was yelling, but penguin saves the day) and the overall message is sweet that you can be friends even if you don't talk like each other. As a parent ...more
Laura Schroeder
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I thought it was very creative, entertaining, and had many unexpected elements. The illustrations used where excellent. They really helped more the story along and hold the interest of the reader. This story is about a little boy who gets a toy penguin for a present. He does everything possible for the penguin to play with him but the penguin just sits there. Then out of no where the small boy gets eaten by a blue lion!! Well the toy penguin go to the boys rescue or will he co ...more
Tanya
So cute!! Took Zack to a library storytime this morning and they read this so we had to check it out and read again. Precious illustrations - story about a boy who tries to get a penquin to talk but the penguin remains silent ... all the while retaining exactly what the little boy, Ben, is saying to him. Great ending. Picture books that are quirky and more than your average plot like this are a true delight.
Danielle Siddon
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
A story about a little boy called Ben who received a Penguin for a present. Ben tries many different ways to get Penguin to speak to him with no joy until eventually, with a little twist at the end, he succeeds.
A simple, repetitive story with lovely illustrations that children will warm to.
Age range: 4-6
A good story to read to young children or to have on a class bookshelf.
Tracy Morton
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
OK. Might be a little disturbing because the boy tries to feed his penguin to a lion and then the lion eats the boy.
Neda
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both the pictures and the narration were amazing..
The shock at the end when Ben is eaten by the lion is just stunning, but it's solved well ;)
Great..
N
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
A boy gets frustrated with his friend penguin. It's just a lack of communication.
Indy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
Penguin is my favourite animal, so when I saw this book at work, I can't help myself but borrow it.

It's a beautiful picture book about a boy who received a penguin as his present. The boy tried very hard to get the penguin talking, but no matter whatever tricks he did, the penguin was still very quiet. When the boy got too noisy making the penguin to say something, he was eaten by a lion. And this is when the penguin showed its love for the boy. It bit the lion very hard on the nose, and the lio
Tori
A boy gets a pet penguin. He does everything he can think of to get the penguin to talk, but the penguin won't say anything. What can he do to get this penguin to respond?
A lovely, silly little book that will appeal to both my toddler and preK storytimes. Can't wait to use it.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ben received a toy penguin for his birthday. Nothing Ben did or said made Penguin say anything. When a lion gets annoyed with all Ben's noise he puts a stop to it, and that's when Penguin surprisingly reacts. Funny. Great illustrations.
Deb
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-alena
Penguin doesn't talk with words and neither does Alena. This book made me think of her. She seemed to like it.
Morgan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read for penguin themed storytime at work. Adorable.
Danboughen
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Melinda
Cute, has repetition and a rhythm, but not a lot of plot or new words to teach with. Was quick to translate.
Lianne
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
super fun to read and it presents a lovely message
Ria
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
that sure did happen
Cosette
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The highlight of this book was when the lion ate the stupid child known as Ben because Ben was too noisy. I was disappointed that Penguin got Ben back.
Melissa Dougherty
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is fun and funny. Spoiler alter: My favorite part is when the kid gets eaten by a lion for being too noisy. Great to pretend that's the end for a moment.
Emily
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: acls, kids, storytime
I found a penguin puppet today, so I was looking for a fun penguin book to accompany this puppet to ST. This one is perfect, and I can't wait to throw the puppet around along with this one.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Penguin 1 1 Apr 30, 2015 08:39AM
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)
  • Penguins
  • Half A World Away
  • Pants
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • Banana
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Big Red Tub
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Augustus and His Smile
  • Penguin and the Cupcake
  • A Penguin Story
  • Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car
  • What! Cried Granny
Polly Dunbar is the author-illustrator of many children’s books, including DOG BLUE, PENGUIN, and six stories featuring Tilly and Friends. She is also the illustrator of David Almond’s MY DAD'S A BIRDMAN. Polly Dunbar lives in Brighton, England.

Borboletras (10 books)