Start by marking “Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)

Old Tin Sorrows

(Garrett Files #4)

A CORPS OF CORPSES
was what it seemed Garrett had committed himself to find when Blake Peters turned up to reclaim some overdue favors. Someone was trying to kill Peters' boss, wealthy, retired General Stantnor, in a most lingering, painful, and maybe poisonous way. And Peters wanted Garrett to keepithe general from becoming a ghost of himself.
But Stantnor's mansion held a
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published June 15th 1989 by Roc, Signet (first published June 6th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Old Tin Sorrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Tin Sorrows

Start your review of Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
Bookwraiths
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A creepy house, a dying General, his strange but beautiful daughter, and a series of petty theft. Just the place our favorite fantasy P.I. for hire finds himself having to visit to pay off a debt owed to his old army sergeant. But naturally, once Garrett arrives, the small favor turns into a major job, because the simple investigation takes a turn for the worst with a hauntingly, beautiful spirit appearing and a series of unexplained murders breaking out. And the worst part is Garrett didn't get ...more
Kevin
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a nero wolfe homage as the Dead Man stays dead to the world until the final scenes, this one's all Garrett and Morely in a country manor like Christie's "And Then There Were None". Of course it's a fantasy so there is a lot more going on then would in a normal mystery.

This fourth volume in the series is where Cook really starts to shine, this is by far my favorite volume so far, I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

reread 8/1/17 Just as good as the first time I read it.
Dan Schwent
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Garrett gets hired by the aid of an aging millionaire general to find out who's poisoning him and gets a lot more than he bargained for. The general's heirs keep dropping like flies and what part, if any, does a mysterious woman in white only Garrett can see play in things?

While I enjoyed this entry in the Garrett Files, it's not as good as the previous two. The first third of the story moves really slowly and most of the general's heirs are little more than cardboard targets for the killer. I d
Nighteye
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, more intresting along the way as the plot deepened.
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was going to go into the details of why I chose to re-read this when I have a huge pile of never-before-read books on my bedside cabinet, but it's too long a story and probably not interesting. Enough to say I picked it up because it intersected with the book I'm currently writing and went from being a passing reference to something more intrinsic to the plot. Today I took a break from writing to finish it--and found I couldn't go back to writing immediately. That's how good it is.

On the surfa
Michael
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Glen Cook is one of my favorite authors. Old Tin Sorrows is a great read. Old Tin Sorrows is the fourth book in the Garrett Files collection. Garrett is a tough ex-marine, private investigator in the mold of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer. The series is set in a fantasy world that has faeries, trolls, sorcerers, wizards,elves and humans living in one city. Garrett's adviser is "the Dead Man" who is really not a man at all and isn't exactly dead. Old Tin Sorrows is arguably the darkest volume in G ...more
Bryan Thomas Schmidt
I really enjoyed my first Glen Cook. Which is good, since he's a friend of mine. This was not what I expected from a PI book, which is because it's original but the one struggle was the world building. The author obviously established this world in prior books but his assumption that we'd pick it up was a bit ambitious. I found it confusing because I never got a real sense of the world at large. The story is set on a large estate and thus, we never see the world outside of it. So that's partly t ...more
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I loved the nod to Raymond Chandler with the introduction of the old and sick general with a heat penchant, a huge house and a wayward daughter. Later , Cook goes his own way , weaving the noir atitude with the high fantasy / supernatural setting.
Garrett remains in top form with his snarky remarks, a bunch of his friends put in cameo roles, the ladies exert the same fatal attraction.
The series lost a little steam in the investigative department, where Garrett is more clueless than usual and the
Gilbert Stack
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Garrett’s old sergeant calls in a favor to make everyone’s favorite fantasy detective find out who’s trying to murder an already dying General Stanton. Stanton’s a lot like General Sternwood in The Big Sleep. He’s tough but likable in his final days of life, sitting next to a roaring fire because he doesn’t generate enough heat to keep his body warm on its own. He looks like he’s mere days from croaking on his own but is his poor health the result of a rare tropical disease caught in the service ...more
Ben Truong
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Old Tin Sorrows is the fourth book in the Garrett P.I. series written by Glen Cook and centered on the adventures of private investigator Garrett.

Garrett is approached by his old marine sergeant, Blake Peters, who calls in an old Marine Corps debt to get Garrett to investigate the mysterious illness afflicting his current employer, General Stantnor. Garrett moves into the Stantnor mansion, to find that only a handful of individuals still inhabit the property and keep it from crumbling into ruin.
PyranopterinMo
May 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Two stars. One for the cover art. The only interesting character is the half troll cook and she is more interesting on the cover. Half a star for the writing and half for the museum grade sexist jokes because it can be a bit surprising what people though was funny in the late eighties.
This is a murder mystery of the kind where all the suspects get murdered one at a time. The setting is a fantasy world. Neither is interesting. There are plenty of interesting mysteries and imaginative fantasy wri
Natalia
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
So... yeah, there were lots of corpses. But in a good kind of way, you know? it made sense. It added a good rhythm to the story and at some point you just roll with it.

This is a great example of a fast-paced, engaging detective story -- and this is probably my favourite Garrett P.I. installment. It has basically anything you could dream of: ghosts, intrigues, unresolved stories from the past that will quite literally come back to bite the wrongdoers. Preferably with a pitchfork.
A classic revenge
Pye Josephus Joestar
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
phenomenal book, I enjoyed everything in this one. This one reminded me of those old tropes of the rich family sends out invitations to everybody to come to the mansion and is offered a ton of money if they stay one night in the mansion, of course it's a bit more complicated than that. The fact that the Dead Man isn't really in this book to help Garrett along made it more enticing to read for some reason. And the end definitely gave me some feels as the mystery unfolds. some interesting and humo ...more
Jane Mercer
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-books
Cook has slowed pace for this the fourth of the Garrett books.
Hired by an old sergeant from Army days to investigate who is trying to kill his employer, using the cover of investigating the theft of trinkets at the same time.
Garrett goes to stay at the Stantnor Place to investigate, what he finds is confusing and perplexing to him.
(Once I got the cast of characters I had the murderer and something glaringly obvious but not the thief)
It is an entertaining case which Garrett solves with the help o
Scott Waldie
A little more of a straight whodunnit for the Garrett, P.I. series, but despite the solid writing and a few differences from the normal formula, I feel like the series is already wearing a little thin on me and I might not make it through. I just greatly prefer his Black Company and Instrumentalities stuff.
Gio C
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another good one. I liked it a lot because Garret gets away from the usual scene. He's kind of stuck in one place and is forced to solve this mystery on his own. There is a fresh new set of characters and while the old ones are sill around they only make a short cameo. It was a short one but well worth the read. I look forward to see what is in stall for Garret next.
Kelly Stark
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bleak but Satisfying

You have to have read enough Garret to have developed an attachment for this to work. But for me, it worked very well. Both Garret and Morley are different in this one. But it’s a difference explained by the circumstances. Good read.
Michael Brown
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: series-reading
Catching up before cataract surgery. Such a fun series with sci-fi - fantasy - supernatural elements and an old style detective who is in trouble with his girlfriend / the mob / the dead and just about everyone else.
Ric
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glen-cook
A good read. Moves along with lots of mystery for our characters. A sad but understand ending. A good read.
John
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam spade meets d&d

Solid book in the series, one of my favorites. I love this series. A fantasy world that has a equally part mystery novel
Genna
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the better ones that I've read of this series so far.
Paul Gilbreath
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cook is always good reading.

Simply said “Garrett P I is The best reading for myself”!
I’ve read this series at least three times and enjoy it each time!
Matthew Reads Junk
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Forgot how enjoyable this series can be. Although now in hindsight just about every book is so similar and it's hard to tell another apart.
Heather Elroy
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'll add more about the actual story when I have time. So for now you just get what I thought about it.

This particular book takes more of a turn into the Mystery genre for the majority of the book and less a turn in the fantasy. Most of the players are Human with the exception of Cook who is a troll (or part troll) and Morley Dotes who is of course part Dark Elf.

What seems to be an investigation into some thievery in the house of a certain retired General of the Karentian military and unrelate
Larry Wentzel
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I seem to be running against the grain on this one. I didn't care for it much, probably because I missed the Raymond Chandler homage and allusions to older noir novels.

The setup was very good: Garrett is dragged out of voluntary unemployment by an old war buddy, calling in a favor. There's a large, mostly vacant estate barely kept running by a skeleton crew, while the old war horse who owns it is on death's door due to mysterious circumstances. The old warhorse, who may be paranoid, focuses on p
Snap
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I noticed Glen Cook had a new Garrett, P. I. novel out. I went to my bookcase and looked to see if I had kept any of the Garrett novels of the past and could I figure out where I left off. OLD TIN SORROWS was the oldest that I found, published in 1995 when paperback books were $3.95 a copy. Remember those days?! I started to read OLD TIN SORROWS and didn't remember the story, so I continued reading. What a fun ride. It was everything I remembered about the Garrett novels. Great one liners. Fun c ...more
Michael Hall
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Garret Files book to date! Garret must solve who is robbing from and poisoning an old retired general. This case has a different pace and feel to it that was somewhat more bitter and less cynical than the ones that have preceded it in earlier books. The environment is changed up as well: instead of wandering around the city or the countryside Garret is confined to a large haunted mansion for the duration. His style of investigation is still to wander in and shake things up ju ...more
Mike McLaren
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
A big fan of Cook's "Black Company" books, I decided to give his Detective Garrett a try. Maybe I should not have started with #4, [i]Old Tin Sorrows[/i]. I enjoyed the book, but never felt enamored with the characters, not even the protagonist. Perhaps if I had started at the beginning of the series, I might have felt more of an affinity with Garrett.

The story is written as black humor, a fantasy that involves numerous characters. With the exception of Cook and the protagonist, and toward the e
Karen
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of noir mysteries with fantasyelements.
Recommended to Karen by: A friend at work,
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
4 1/2 stars for my favorite PI. I love Garrett because I always have the most fun reading his exploits, he is such a romantic, aggravating, womanizing character.

Here he goes to help a fellow Marine who has a dying boss and former commanding officer. Garrett thinks it will be a simple matter to figure out who the culprit is, but of course he should know that when he gets called in things get weird fast. His world is populated with all manner of fantastic character like Morley Dotes, a black elf
Bogdan Capitanoiu
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
&back to my 2nd discovered lite read, smart humor, happy writer.
And another mystery...with fantastical elements (elves&trolls&gnolls&'draughs'&more) in an apparently classic medieval setting, and some new characters(hopefully recurrent). And its all in the title :) I mean the plot and the mood... Surprising but rewarding....in a burn after reading kind of way.

Different from the others... Structurally there are a couple of things...
- nodeadman ergo no brain(no need it's all in the title...all abo
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Sauerkraut Station
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1)
  • The Thief Who Wasn't There (Amra Thetys, #4)
  • The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)
  • The Thief Who Knocked on Sorrow's Gate (Amra Thetys, #3)
  • Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga, #15)
  • Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)
  • Minor Mage
  • Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)
  • The Devil in America
  • First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts #1)
  • Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts #3)
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more

Garrett Files (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Sweet Silver Blues (Garrett P.I., #1)
  • Bitter Gold Hearts (Garrett P.I., #2)
  • Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
  • Dread Brass Shadows (Garrett Files, #5)
  • Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)
  • Deadly Quicksilver Lies (Garrett Files, #7)
  • Petty Pewter Gods (Garrett P.I., #8)
  • Faded Steel Heat (Garrett P.I., #9)
  • Angry Lead Skies (Garrett P.I., #10)
  • Whispering Nickel Idols (Garrett P.I., #11)