Start by marking “Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)

Old Tin Sorrows

(Garrett Files #4)

When his old friend Blake Peters calls in some overdue favors. Garrett feels like he’s committed himself to a corps of corpses. Someone is trying to kill Blake’s wealthy, retired General Stantnor, in a most lingering, painful, and maybe poisonous way. Can Garrett keep the general above ground?

But Stantnor’s mansion holds a host of surprises for a human detective who thou
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published June 15th 1989 by Roc, Signet (first published June 6th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Old Tin Sorrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Tin Sorrows

Start your review of Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
Evgeny
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A group read with Sarah and Choko (if she will ever join us, but I have faith in her).

Garrett was sitting pretty doing nothing when his sergeant Blake Peters from his army days came to collect on his debt: it seems at one point Peters carried wounded Garrett to safety for a long distance risking his own life. Currently Peters was working in a household of his (and Garrett's) former commander: General Stantnor.
General
It seemed to Peters that somebody was slowly poisoning his boss. Garrett was to invest
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

· Book 1: Sweet Silver Blues ★★★★
· Book 8: Petty Pewter Gods ★★★
· Book 9: Faded Steel Heat ★★★
Choko
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, but with a punch 👊!

*** 4.65

Another awesome addition to the series! This time we have an in-house who-done-it and everyone is a suspect. None of the previously prevalent vampires, forgotten g-ds or killer wizards. A more traditional and cosy mystery, but we get a more contemplative Garrett, who as always, gets roped into repaying a favor to an old comrade in arms, and gets in the middle of a murder spree...

I love this series and it is always a pleasure getting back into Garrett's head. Hi
Bookwraiths
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A creepy house, a dying General, his strange but beautiful daughter, and a series of petty theft. Just the place our favorite fantasy P.I. for hire finds himself having to visit to pay off a debt owed to his old army sergeant. But naturally, once Garrett arrives, the small favor turns into a major job, because the simple investigation takes a turn for the worst with a hauntingly, beautiful spirit appearing and a series of unexplained murders breaking out. And the worst part is Garrett didn't get ...more
Kevin
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a nero wolfe homage as the Dead Man stays dead to the world until the final scenes, this one's all Garrett and Morely in a country manor like Christie's "And Then There Were None". Of course it's a fantasy so there is a lot more going on then would in a normal mystery.

This fourth volume in the series is where Cook really starts to shine, this is by far my favorite volume so far, I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

reread 8/1/17 Just as good as the first time I read it.
Dan Schwent
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Garrett gets hired by the aid of an aging millionaire general to find out who's poisoning him and gets a lot more than he bargained for. The general's heirs keep dropping like flies and what part, if any, does a mysterious woman in white only Garrett can see play in things?

While I enjoyed this entry in the Garrett Files, it's not as good as the previous two. The first third of the story moves really slowly and most of the general's heirs are little more than cardboard targets for the killer. I d
Nighteye
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, more intresting along the way as the plot deepened.
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was going to go into the details of why I chose to re-read this when I have a huge pile of never-before-read books on my bedside cabinet, but it's too long a story and probably not interesting. Enough to say I picked it up because it intersected with the book I'm currently writing and went from being a passing reference to something more intrinsic to the plot. Today I took a break from writing to finish it--and found I couldn't go back to writing immediately. That's how good it is.

On the surfa
Gilbert Stack
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Garrett’s old sergeant calls in a favor to make everyone’s favorite fantasy detective find out who’s trying to murder an already dying General Stanton. Stanton’s a lot like General Sternwood in The Big Sleep. He’s tough but likable in his final days of life, sitting next to a roaring fire because he doesn’t generate enough heat to keep his body warm on its own. He looks like he’s mere days from croaking on his own but is his poor health the result of a rare tropical disease caught in the service ...more
Michael
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Glen Cook is one of my favorite authors. Old Tin Sorrows is a great read. Old Tin Sorrows is the fourth book in the Garrett Files collection. Garrett is a tough ex-marine, private investigator in the mold of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer. The series is set in a fantasy world that has faeries, trolls, sorcerers, wizards,elves and humans living in one city. Garrett's adviser is "the Dead Man" who is really not a man at all and isn't exactly dead. Old Tin Sorrows is arguably the darkest volume in G ...more
Bryan Thomas Schmidt
I really enjoyed my first Glen Cook. Which is good, since he's a friend of mine. This was not what I expected from a PI book, which is because it's original but the one struggle was the world building. The author obviously established this world in prior books but his assumption that we'd pick it up was a bit ambitious. I found it confusing because I never got a real sense of the world at large. The story is set on a large estate and thus, we never see the world outside of it. So that's partly t ...more
HBalikov
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is, for me, one of Cook's best Garrett novels. Why? It begins with a wonderful homage to Chandler's classic, the Big Sleep. That book, if you recall, begins with Marlowe entering the Sternwood mansion and being taken to the greenhouse where General Sternwood resides. Chandler captures (and foreshadows) in a few sentences the desperation and decay that has permeated the Sternwood clan. Garrett is much like Marlowe, a knight errant and a soldier in battle against lost causes. He is called to ...more
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I loved the nod to Raymond Chandler with the introduction of the old and sick general with a heat penchant, a huge house and a wayward daughter. Later , Cook goes his own way , weaving the noir atitude with the high fantasy / supernatural setting.
Garrett remains in top form with his snarky remarks, a bunch of his friends put in cameo roles, the ladies exert the same fatal attraction.
The series lost a little steam in the investigative department, where Garrett is more clueless than usual and the
Pye Josephus Joestar
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
phenomenal book, I enjoyed everything in this one. This one reminded me of those old tropes of the rich family sends out invitations to everybody to come to the mansion and is offered a ton of money if they stay one night in the mansion, of course it's a bit more complicated than that. The fact that the Dead Man isn't really in this book to help Garrett along made it more enticing to read for some reason. And the end definitely gave me some feels as the mystery unfolds. some interesting and humo ...more
Ben Truong
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Old Tin Sorrows is the fourth book in the Garrett P.I. series written by Glen Cook and centered on the adventures of private investigator Garrett.

Garrett is approached by his old marine sergeant, Blake Peters, who calls in an old Marine Corps debt to get Garrett to investigate the mysterious illness afflicting his current employer, General Stantnor. Garrett moves into the Stantnor mansion, to find that only a handful of individuals still inhabit the property and keep it from crumbling into ruin.
PyranopterinMo
May 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Two stars. One for the cover art. The only interesting character is the half troll cook and she is more interesting on the cover. Half a star for the writing and half for the museum grade sexist jokes because it can be a bit surprising what people though was funny in the late eighties.
This is a murder mystery of the kind where all the suspects get murdered one at a time. The setting is a fantasy world. Neither is interesting. There are plenty of interesting mysteries and imaginative fantasy wri
Natalia
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
So... yeah, there were lots of corpses. But in a good kind of way, you know? it made sense. It added a good rhythm to the story and at some point you just roll with it.

This is a great example of a fast-paced, engaging detective story -- and this is probably my favourite Garrett P.I. installment. It has basically anything you could dream of: ghosts, intrigues, unresolved stories from the past that will quite literally come back to bite the wrongdoers. Preferably with a pitchfork.
A classic revenge
Jane Mercer
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-books
Cook has slowed pace for this the fourth of the Garrett books.
Hired by an old sergeant from Army days to investigate who is trying to kill his employer, using the cover of investigating the theft of trinkets at the same time.
Garrett goes to stay at the Stantnor Place to investigate, what he finds is confusing and perplexing to him.
(Once I got the cast of characters I had the murderer and something glaringly obvious but not the thief)
It is an entertaining case which Garrett solves with the help o
Scott Waldie
A little more of a straight whodunnit for the Garrett, P.I. series, but despite the solid writing and a few differences from the normal formula, I feel like the series is already wearing a little thin on me and I might not make it through. I just greatly prefer his Black Company and Instrumentalities stuff.
Gio C
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another good one. I liked it a lot because Garret gets away from the usual scene. He's kind of stuck in one place and is forced to solve this mystery on his own. There is a fresh new set of characters and while the old ones are sill around they only make a short cameo. It was a short one but well worth the read. I look forward to see what is in stall for Garret next. ...more
Kelly Stark
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bleak but Satisfying

You have to have read enough Garret to have developed an attachment for this to work. But for me, it worked very well. Both Garret and Morley are different in this one. But it’s a difference explained by the circumstances. Good read.
Michael Brown
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: series-reading
Catching up before cataract surgery. Such a fun series with sci-fi - fantasy - supernatural elements and an old style detective who is in trouble with his girlfriend / the mob / the dead and just about everyone else.
Donnalee
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Okay; rather Jacobean-feeling tontine affair--the cover features a bigger version of the Linda Lavin type from a previous one, dressed in trashy clothes and staring at the protagonist man. She is almost too big for him, but it's an improvement on the odd-sized 'tomatoes' on previous covers ...more
Alan Wisdom
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-cover
A very good read. It can be revised so that it could be a modern or distant human tale, not remain simply a fantasy novel. Very well written. Would make a great movie, in any genre! No spoilers. You need to read, and just it by and for yourself.
Jon
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Michael K. Skinner
Another great installment in the Garrett P.I. series.

One of my favorites to date. This one had me guessing until the end. I am a huge fan of Glenn Cook. I first-time upon his writing in the late 70s in Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine. This latest tail does not disappoint.
Ric
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glen-cook
A good read. Moves along with lots of mystery for our characters. A sad but understand ending. A good read.
John
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam spade meets d&d

Solid book in the series, one of my favorites. I love this series. A fantasy world that has a equally part mystery novel
Genna
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the better ones that I've read of this series so far. ...more
Paul Gilbreath
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cook is always good reading.

Simply said “Garrett P I is The best reading for myself”!
I’ve read this series at least three times and enjoy it each time!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Low Town (Low Town, #1)
  • Optional Retirement Plan (The SynCorp Saga, #0)
  • Roadmarks
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3)
  • The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1)
  • Have Space Suit—Will Travel
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • A Game with No Rules (Perimeter Defense #4)
  • The Locust Job (Daniel Faust, #9)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)
  • Of Roses and Kings
  • Little Free Library
  • The Fiends of Nightmaria  (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #6)
See top shelves…
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more

Garrett Files (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Sweet Silver Blues (Garrett P.I., #1)
  • Bitter Gold Hearts (Garrett P.I., #2)
  • Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
  • Dread Brass Shadows (Garrett Files, #5)
  • Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)
  • Deadly Quicksilver Lies (Garrett Files, #7)
  • Petty Pewter Gods (Garrett P.I., #8)
  • Faded Steel Heat (Garrett P.I., #9)
  • Angry Lead Skies (Garrett P.I., #10)
  • Whispering Nickel Idols (Garrett P.I., #11)