Start by marking “Whistle: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Whistle: A Novel

Whistle: A Novel

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Roper is illiterate. He is a poor, hard-working black man in the unforgiving heart of south Georgia, striving each day to put distance between his new life and his probation for a petty crime one year earlier. His routine is his savior: At sunrise he mounts the tractor belonging to Math Taylor, a prominent white landowner, and grooms the vast grounds of the Taylor home -- ...more
Hardcover
Published February 17th 1998 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Whistle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whistle

Jessie
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roper, a black man, works for Math Taylor, a white man. One day as Roper is mowing the fields, he discovers Math Taylor's wife lying dead in the grass. Roper assumes that he would become the suspect since he's a black man. So, instead of calling for help, he carries her body and dumps it in an old well. He carries own with his normal life, all the time wondering when this secret will finally catch up to him.

Very interesting read with some hidden family secrets.
Sara
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This COULD have been a great book. It was VERY slow starting, going on and on about Roper and what he did. I just about gave it up and moved on to another book when finally, something good. The focus turned to Louise and her secret relationship. Had the book focused on that as the main plot and had Roper as a side story, it might have been a really good book. As it is, though, its only okay.

I think the story about Louise and her lover should have really been more developed. The first half of th
Dan
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up randomly off a used book store shelf. It was entertaining and difficult to put down. Interesting characters. Realistic portrait of poverty. However, the ending was a bit anticlimactic. I personally don't think that ruined the book or causes regret for reading it- but I bet for some people it might. For me the the themes and writing overshadow that and make it a nice short poignant read.
Kiera
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and breezed through it! Pulled me in from the first few pages and had me biting my nails!! (I haven't bit my nails in more than a decade!!)

Wonderful writing style!! Loved it!
Ruth
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern
Jean
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty fast read. Depicts a realistic situation for blacks living in the south years ago.
Susan Norcross
Sep 02, 2015
Martha Robinson
is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2018
Janice Daugharty is artist in residence at Abraham Baldwin Agriculture College, in Tifton, Georgia. Her latest novel, "Two Shades of Morning," is now available, in ebook and print, at most online and traditional book stores, as well as libraries. This is Daugharty's tenth published novel. She wrote for ten years without publishing a single short story or novel, then finally captured the attention ...more
More about Janice Daugharty...