Start by marking “Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie” as Want to Read:
Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie

Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie

(Modern Faerie Tales #2)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  31,972 ratings  ·  1,574 reviews
When 17-year-old Valerie Russell runs away to New York City, she's trying to escape a life that has utterly betrayed her. Sporting a new identity, she takes up with a gang of squatters who live in the city's labyrinthine subway system. But there's something eerily beguiling about Val's new friends.
Published 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 31st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Valiant, please sign up.
Aimee Marie Le Roi You can! The storylines for Tithe and Ironside are directly connected, but Valiant is more like a 'companion piece' where theres the same kinds of…moreYou can! The storylines for Tithe and Ironside are directly connected, but Valiant is more like a 'companion piece' where theres the same kinds of characters, and there is like one or two characters who cross over but its not anything where you would be vastly confused. It could function as a book on its own very easily
(less)
Alexandra Daaé You could! There are characters from Tithe that make appearances towards the end, but you won't be confused if you haven't read the first one.

·  31,972 ratings  ·  1,574 reviews

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Ravus nodded again. “I will make you as terrible as you desire.”
“I don't want to be-,” she started, but he held up his hand.
“I know you're very brave,” he said.
“Or stupid.”
“And stupid. Brave and stupid.” Ravus smiled, but then his smile sagged. “But nothing can stop you from being terrible once you've learned how.”

Holly Black has, apparently, been crafting marvelous worlds and characters for quite a long time now. I adored this story even more than her earlier Tithe.

Valiant is a Beauty and
Heather
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I hated loving this book. Having read Black's Titheand Ironside, I was none to keen on reading Valiant. Black has a penchant for writing about the scourge of human society, leaving me with a sense of filth, and therefore compelling me to exfoliate. None the less, Black’s writing is so perversely alluring, that she all but grabs you by the neck and drags you into the story.

Val is impossible to describe. She’s a shell of a girl. In possession of one lezzie best friend, a mohawk donning boyfriend,
Candace Robinson
So I didn't like this one as much as the first book, but I still loved it! I liked that the characters aren't your typical characters. Like you may not really like them, but you still totally do!

Also, can I just say the troll love was freaking awesome! I liked that Holly Black made the character fall for a troll and not a "hot" troll either! Although, I'm sure he's super adorable because his personality was lovely!

I felt for Valerie a lot, and yes she did some stupid things, yet I still wanted
Alaina
Ever since I finished Tithe I've wanted to finish this series.. but never seemed to try and read the second book. No idea why, maybe I'm super lazy or I just never got the book.. but I'm happy to redeem myself people.

It follows Val Russell, who is about 17 years old, and she have a terrible life. Her family sucked a bag of dicks and her whole life spiraled down a dark ass rabbit hole. Yeah, things were not sunny on her side of the street. The grass was not greener for her. Well, her life sort o
Lisa Litberg
I have mixed feelings about this book. I found the idea of the story captivating. Faeries are real, and they walk among us, hidden by glamour from human eyes. And they aren't necessarily good faeries--like humans, some are good, and some are stealthy. 17 year old Val discovers this world when she runs away from home and lives under the New York subway tunnels. Through unforeseen circumstances, she ends up indebted to a troll, delivering potions to faeries. But faeries are being poisoned, and Val ...more
Miss Bookiverse
Amanda
Apr 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: posers, wanna-bes and those looking to flush their lives away
I hated this book from the first page.

Strong words, I know, but let's just have it out.

Trite, lame and basically a waste of tree. The plot was blurg, the characters were frighteningly unenthralling, the writing was fair, but you can find decent writing on the back of a cereal box.

The one book's one saving grace was a troll and though the idea was cool, it was hardly enough to save the entire horrible mess.

To rant in depth, I have to start with the drug thing. Magic as a drug (seen it! and it
Zoraida
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread this while hiking across the moors. Love my troll boyfriend.
Anastasia シ
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, on-hold, authors-b, 2011
Really boring..... nothing really happens...

Edit: December 20,2012

Can't bring myself to finish this novel....

Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
6/13/19 update:
*weary sigh* This is still by far my least favorite Holly Black book.

This was by far my least favorite Holly Black book. Too much drugs and not enough faeries for my tastes. But I’m going to read book 3 because it’s about the same characters from book 1, whom I adored. Why we had this second book about completely different characters is beyond me, but I basically hated this.
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
this is just so ,,, blegh

nothing about it is holding my interest and i'm not going to force myself to get through this

i'd much rather read books that are actually good xD
Kristen
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen fans of fantasy novels
Valiant by Holly Black

Valiant by Holly Black is a very intense teen-fantasy novel about a seventeen-year-old girl named Valerie Russell-also known as: Val. Valiant is Holly Black’s second novel. The first to her collection is Tithe. Both of these books are beautifully written and tie into the world of faeries and trolls and things of such nature. Black is an avid collector of scary stories, creepy dolls, and crazy hats.

Val is this amazing character who changes drastically throughout this book.
Claire
Jun 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Charles de Lint
I was a bit disappointed when Valiant didn't start up where Tithe ended. However, I quickly got over it.

This story follows 17-year-old Val Russell who runs away from her dysfunctional home within the first few chapters. In a moment of shedding her confusion, she embraces a new identity and shaves her head, leaving everything behind. She also finds herself in the company of three homeless teens--Lolli, Dave, and Luis who live on an abandoned subway platform.

Eerie and strange, Val finds herself c
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
I thought Kaye, the main character of the first book, Tithe, had a difficult childhood, but it was nothing compared to this. I wonder if Holly Black had a difficult childhood too.

Most of the book follows Val and her friends Lolli, Dave, and Luis who live in a disgusting, abandoned subway station, while they are high on faerie drugs all day. Val even starts acting like Alex DeLarge at one point when she breaks into a family's home. Lolli kills a cat at one point because she is just tired of taki
Alexa
July buddy read for #FaerieAThon, which I am cohosting with Kristin, Jane, Melanie!
Sookie
Aug 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 16+
Many people loved Tithe and the Spiderwick Chronicles (though I haven't read those, I've only read Tithe) and they're very highly recommended books.
I was a little more than dissapointed, though, when I read Tithe.
The language was very vulgar, and the characters not very lickable at all.
And there were numerous other things that bothered me about that book.
When Valiant came out, I delayed in reading it.
I decided it was time to read it last week.
And this is all I have to say about it-
It's almost t
Courtney Wells
Whether or not you approve of it, I think we all know sex, drugs, angst, and vulgarity are part of the teenage atmosphere. I'm sure some people look at Valiant and feel it's a dark interpretation of an adolescent mind, but Holly Black is just being honest with herself, with us, and the target audience she's writing for.

Frankly, I'm glad there are books like Valiant on the shelves. More than that, I'm jealous. When I grew up and was in the hormonal throws of puberty I didn't have novels like this
Lauren Stoolfire
This series isn't a favorite of Holly Black's, but you have to admit she's fantastic at writing gritty and decidedly non-human fairies. Maybe it's just me but I totally read Luis in the cadence of the Luis from Ant-Man - that was very entertaining.
Grace the Book Queen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 4-stars
This one was less weird than the previous installment, but I still enjoyed it immensely. That first chapter was something else and each chapter just kept me hooked. Ravus was so sweet and I loved the dynamic between him and our main character, Val. Also, I would like to take a moment to appreciate the word play between Val and the title of this book!
JM
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to JM by: Sarah Rees Brennan
YA urban fantasy, loosely based on the story of 'Beauty and the Beast'. Val doesn't entirely mean to run away from home, but when home betrays her it's easy to not go back yet - to stay in the dark world of faeries and addiction she's stumbled into in New York. She's drawn further into that world when a moment of instinctive chivalry sees her bound in service to the troll Ravus - who, Val discovers, is in grave danger.

My short reaction here is: This was a good book, and I didn't like it much.

Lon
Liz
Jul 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I didn't really care for this book. I think if I was 16 into punk and dressed all in black it would be great. It had quite a bit of language and a "situation" with the mom and the boyfriend that made me want to up-chuck.
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
Soooo, here we go. This volume gets a 2.5 stars cause I’m feeling generous.

While this definitely isn’t my favorite of Holly’s writing, it still has a way of reeling you in with it’s dark edgy themes and visual writing style. You’re transported to these dingy locales right alongside Val ‘n company.

I actually was really into the first half of this book & gobbled up the pages. But then that second half shit hit the fan for me. Like after the halfway point I just stopped caring almost entirely
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
I finished it in a day but I enjoyed Tithe more tbh.

RTC
Carien
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Reread June 2019
I pretty much still agree with my review from 2014.

First read:
October 2014
This is the second book in a series, but as it has different characters than the first book (as far as I understand) it can be read as a standalone. I haven't read the first book, but I didn't feel like missing out on anything.

I will confess being surprised by how dark and gritty this book is. I've gotten used to YA books that shy away from really serious topics, but this book takes you down in the underbel
Wanda
Holly Black writes really good Faerie tales! Right now, for me, she can do no wrong. When I read the blurb for Valiant I wondered if perhaps I had found one that wouldn’t appeal to me quite so strongly—but I might have known that I would end up enjoying it anyway.

I enjoy Black’s conception of what the Faerie world would be like—I like the darkness, the slipperiness, the duplicity. Once again, we have a very young woman thrown into this world to sink or swim. Our heroine, Val by name, is the subj
Amelia Oswald
Actual rating: 2,25 stars
This was really underwhelming I'm afraid. It got this weird Beauty and The Beast vibe to it but it's not good. I find this book slow and doesn't have much to add to the plot.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
So, once again, Jen checks out a book from the library without consulting the order in the series. D'oh. However, after reading some reviews on GR, I determined that it wouldn't be detrimental to read this book before Tithe, as it centers on a different group of characters. For such a short book, though, it took entirely too long to get to the grit of the faerie world, and even then, it remained more urban fantasy than I expected. I don't honestly know what I was expecting, though, since I thoug ...more
Cori Reed
2.5 Stars

This book is more of a companion than a sequel, which threw me for a loop. It's also one of the darkest and messed up YA books I have ever read. It begins with the main character walking in on her mother hooking up with her boyfriend and does not get any lighter from there! Yikes!
Loretta (Laughing Listener)

Length: 7 hours & 4 minutes

Story Rating: 4.5 Stars
Performance Rating: 5 Stars
Overall Rating: 5 Stars

Wow. I am… overwhelmed by how much I liked this the second time around. First of all, I must have the worst memory ever and I’m slightly concerned about my mental health??? I remembered not liking this book the first time because Roiben and Kaye are hardly in it, but for some reason I thought it was about Corny?? An

• The Summer King (The Chronicles of Faerie, #2)
  • The Blue Girl (Newford, #15)
  • The Purple Emperor
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • Stopping Time, Part 1 (Wicked Lovely, #2.5 Part I)
  • The Demon's Covenant
  • Faerie Winter (Bones of Faerie, #2)
  • What I Wore to Save the World (Morgan Rawlinson, #3)
  • Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2)
  • Changeling (Changeling, #1)
  • Nevernever (Borderland, #5)
  • Midnight Predator
  • The Immortal Realm (Faerie Path, #4)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more

Modern Faerie Tales (3 books)
  • Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale
“You carried my heart in your hands tonight," he said. "But I have felt as if you carried it long before that.” 177 likes
“I would remain nearer you for what time there is."

"Gone in one faerie sigh," she quoted.

Leather-clad fingers brushed over her short hair, rested on her cheek. "I can hold my breath.”
117 likes