Start by marking “The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar” as Want to Read:
The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

Este libro ha sido convertido a formato digital por una comunidad de voluntarios. Puedes encontrarlo gratis en Internet. Comprar la edición Kindle incluye la entrega inalámbrica.
Published February 2nd 2004 by BookSurge Classics (first published January 3rd 1845)

To ask other readers questions about The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

Start your review of The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
Peter
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is one of the eeriest and most morbid stories I ever read from Poe. The narrator describes a mesmeric experiment on a dying man named Valdemar. The person acts in a peculiar way when in a mesmeric trance induced in the moment of death. What does the hypnotist do and how long can the mesmeric condition be sustained? The end of the story is extremely ghastly too. Nothing for the faint hearted. You really have to be a bit morbid to enjoy the action here but it is written and plotted in an ...more
Bionic Jean
The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar (1845) is an example of a story which we would now class as "horror", but which Poe submitted to the public as an essay. It is a tale about "mesmerism", which was then a newly fashionable method of inducing a trance-like state. It developed later into what we term today hypnotism. A mesmerist put a man in a suspended hypnotic state at the moment of death. The story includes medical students and nurses as witnesses to add to its authenticity. It was ...more
Carol
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
***WELL***........this is about as dark as a read can get!

An experiment of mesmerizing a man on his death bed brings about quite a creepy and unsettling result that would definitely have me running for the nearest exit! Yikes!

THE FACTS IN THE CASE OF M. VALDEMAR was first published by POE on January 3, 1845.

Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a story filled with horror and awe that send shivers down your spine.
Janete
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook in Portuguese. Edgar Allan Poe had a lot of imagination! This short story is impressive.
Rebecca McNutt
Required reading for my Magic, Science & the Occult class; at first I wasn't sure why, but after today's lecture, it made more sense. The phenomena of spiritualism around this time period intertwined science with the occult in a bizarre way that fascinated pop culture in the mundane industrial progress and materialism of the times, and The Facts In The Case Of M. Valdemar, while fiction, provides a disturbing example of what happens when you play with dead people. It was more graphic than I ...more
Aishu Rehman
Uh, ok. I'm not sure what the point of that story was. Mister Valdemar is very ill, but he wish for live longer. When he knew that he would live just one more day he asked his friend to hypnotize him, offering an opportunity to research about hypnosis, therefore he laid on his bed for months.

Two witnesses and his friend watch his health but the man looks dead. He asked mister Valdemar, Are you asleep? Do you still feel pain in the breast, M. Valdemar? Mister Valdemar replied to feel no more
Quirkyreader
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very twisted and very good.
Brian
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Poe has a power of terror in this story unmatched, in my opinion, by King and Lovecraft. He uses literary power.

This may be the most horrifying story I've ever read, from an experiential perspective.
Maria
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Poe is brilliant. I adore how vivid his writing is. When I read his stories, it's like I am standing there, watching it all happen right in front of me. Always a bit grotesque, but hey, isn't that what makes him brilliant? It's one of the (many) things, at least!
Paola
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, classics
So what can you find out about a dying man that has been hypnotized... Read and find out in this short story.
classic reverie
I wanted to read this short story after listening to the radio adaptation, I heard today. Edgar Allan Poe, surely makes his rounds on "The Weird Circle" and this one is from April 8, 1945.
The radio version is more entertaining for a radio audience since it brings more drama between the doctor and hypnotist but when all is said and done, it holds up to the same storyline. This is a horror story of sorts which I did not read this version but a Delphi Collection of his works. (See my "Edgar Allan
Daniel McIlhenney
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A REVIEW FOR HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS

Poe is studied in every high school in the country, but it is unlikely many schools are reading this story. As a story itself, it is not as suspenseful as the "The Tell-Tale Heart". It is far more gruesome. It is not as beautifully written as "The Raven". It is actually written as a scientific account more than as a piece of literature. That is where it becomes useful for a teacher. The short story is an account a dying man that is placed in a hypnotic state
Hind
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been saving the works of Poe which I have mostly read at a very young age, around my early teens, for the sake of reading them now as a student of literature and language, and I have been one for sometime, but now, I can relish in reading all that I have forgotten.
I remember I was unfailingly enthralled by the ideas he always portrayed and the gruesome themes. His works, including this stellar story, is filled with darkness, wretchedness and what my professor calls creative madness.
It is
حسناء
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
what an idea ! i was mesmerized !
Lou
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Poe's obsession with death is reflected much in this story. While he uses mesmerism as a basis for the story, it focuses on the idea of non-death and he builds a story full of fright but beautifully written. ...more
Netanella
I read a lot of Poe in high school and college, but I do not recollect any of the facts in the case of M. Valdemar. I ran across this short story in Zombies: A Compendium, edited by Otto Penzler, which I've been enjoying tremendously. In order to forestall death, a dying man agrees to be mesmerized at the point of his death. For Poe's time, the writing is descriptive and gory, with an added scientific factual feel with the medics and doctors and nurses running around. Nicely done.

Jeff
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As this was just 24 pages, I am glad that gave this a second read with the proper mindset.

The two important parts of that mindset: 1) Think of what it must have been like for people in 1929 that heard the radio broadcast of "The War of the Worlds", thinking that Earth was being invaded by Martians.

2) Then take that surprised innocence back to 1845, when "modern" medicine was still very basic and sometimes barbaric. Then someone submits what appears to be a medical essay that states that he can
Jim
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
another horrific and satisfying ending to a rather muddled piece writing... Poe does the awfully nasty bits wonderfully, but all too sparingly here... second or third tale to use mesmerism, all the rage ages ago but now a carnival trick/strip mall scam operation... intriguing idea, suspension of cessation (puts one in mind of "The Matrix", alive since the mind believes it hasn't died), but a bit oversold on the delivery maybe... passed off as factual at the time of its release, or at least not ...more
Tiffany Peña
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibooks
I FUCKING LOVED THIS ONE. I feel like the shorter the story, the better (I mean in Poe's case, of course). This is the account of a dying man that is mesmerized and ends up being able to speak and move even after his death. Okay, pretty cool plot, right? But that is not what made me love it so much. YO, THE WRITING STYLE, THE DESCRIPTIONS, THE EERIE FEELING I GOT THAT WHEN I TURNED AROUND THE DYING GUY WAS GONNA BE THERE TO SAY HI. It is very vivid and I just loved that. I completely recommend ...more
J L Shioshita
I love this story. It reminds me of Cool Air by Lovecraft, and with all those nasty descriptors at the end, you can definitely link the inspiration to Lovecraft's depictions of gore and ichor in his stories. It's a cool concept, not rooted in supernatural causes but tied to the pseudo-science of the day, presented as a realistic depiction of an actual event, with a whammy of an ending. Recommended.
Becky
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, then. Sometimes I wish I had grown-up in the days of not knowing who Dracula is and thinking Frankenstein was the scariest book available. Desensitisation to violence and old-fashioned gothic fantasy has ruined so many classics for me. Everything from back then seems so tame in comparison to what we have now.
That being said, Poe definitely knows how to describe the grotesque. I felt queasy in some scenes!
Neens Bea
Poe paints such vivid images in the reader's mind that anyone who reads this is unlikely to ever forget the story. Again, the end is very abrupt, but the lack of 'closure' is highly effective as it ensures that the story will stay with you for a very long time.

Read for a course in sci-fi/fantasy literature.
Neelam Babul
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A story that will send shivers down your spine and give you goosebumps. It is a fantastic horror tale which should never be read at night or you might end up scared for life or feel someone is under your bed.

Its about mesmerisation or hypnotism. A man is hypnotized on the verge of death and what ensues is a tale that will thrill your very bone and scare you to bits.
Aditya Mallya
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This gruesome tale of a man who is hypnotized on the point of death is possibly one of the earliest literary equivalents of a 'mockumentary', as many readers mistook it for a real scientific account. Thank goodness it wasn't.
M. Ashraf
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: edgar-allan-poe
Another good one from Poe!!! dealing with death, mesmerism, trance state, when the body dies what happen then we get to witness a state of a talking deadman, the possibility of that happening in an intense narrative, it was great :) but death is inevitable!!! a great work of fiction :)
A Mig
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Mesmerism experiment on a dying friend, leading to a mesmeric trance. What more is there to ask in a vintage horror story? Poe has the gift of plunging us into the strangest ideas of the 19th century… and is always avant-garde in the study of the portal leading to the singularity that is Death.
Tamme Webster Johnson
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I really liked this one! It kept me interested to the very end!
Adina
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
A strange one read before bed which was not a good idea. Quite grotesque. About trying to stale death by mesmerizing the almost dead M. Valdemar.
Jess
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Poe. Always have and this is as scary as his other stories. I adored the scene towards the end when the question 'are you asleep?' is asked and the reply (I won't spoil it!) gave me chills.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cool Air
  • El ahogado más hermoso del mundo
  • He
  • Beyond the Wall of Sleep
  • The White Ship
  • La música de Erich Zann
  • The Temple
  • ¿No oyes ladrar los perros?
  • The Haunter of the Dark