Start by marking “Ruin and Rising (Shadow and Bone, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ruin and Rising (Shadow and Bone, #3)

Ruin and Rising (Shadow and Bone #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  61,003 Ratings  ·  8,819 Reviews
The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet he
Published June 17th 2014 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Ruin and Rising, please sign up.

Sarah YES. Why do people think this was a satisfying ending? It was cliched, predictable and worse - it's mediocrity left me agitated.
I wish the author…more
I wish the author would have come up with an ending that was .. darker and less predictable. A more unconventional happy ending or even an open ending would have been better.(less)
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,405 books — 15,823 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,527 books — 9,047 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
They had an ordinary life, full of ordinary things--if love can ever be called that.

Oh, and Leigh Bardugo talked to me about the glorious, glorious food of the Grisha trilogy here during this fairy tale lunch: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...
Khanh (the meanie)
I AM SO PISSED. I AM SO PISSED.

Please allow me the indulgence of using an extended metaphor to describe this series.

The first book is the first stages of love. It's not true love, but infatuation. You are ensnared by his looks, enamored by everything he does. His quirks are adorable. His faults are overlooked because it's a part of who he is. It's part of what makes him special. So what if he has a habit of scratching his ass in public? It's cute.

The second book is the "settling in" stage of the
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
That was an interesting conclusion to the trilogy. I can't say I'm super satisfied with how things came together, but it was still enjoyable! My main gripe with this series is it's lack of plot. I wanted more from the story, all three books feel like this build up to the ending, but nothing happens during those build up moments. (obviously this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me!)
Aqsa
UPDATE:
Okay so for those of you (like myself) who were disappointed with this ^ piece of disgusting garbage- GO READ THE
"A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES" series by Sarah J. Maas.
"A COURT OF MIST AND FURY" in particular, I should say-- as the book really sets the stage and it beats this ugly trash in every way and IS EVERYTHING that r&r could have been but miserably failed to be. SO PLEASE READ ACOMAF.

I promise you it is worth every word. GO READ IT NOW.

All the past angst and bitterness is beyon
Katerina
Dec 08, 2014 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
*5 “you might make me a better man” stars*

Agony. Pain. Tears. Heartbreak. Acceptance. This is the way the Grisha trilogy ends.

A masterpiece. A gem. Leigh Bardugo gave everything she had in this grand finale. I'm numb and empty inside. I want to sit in silence and contemplate what happened and figure out the reasons why. I came to the conclusion that things were meant to end this way from the start. A
Ashley
Dear Malyen Ortsev:

I hope The Darkling runs you over with his big, black, badass, (view spoiler) carriage.

It's been two years and I'm still bitter and salty and to put it politely, I hate you,
Ashley

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. EXTREME RANTING AHEAD.

(view spoiler)
Chelsea Humphrey
This book was everything. 💔🖤💔🖤💔🖤 I'm so emotional right now *SOBS UNCONTROLLABLY*

I'll try to review this tomorrow when I can see out of my puffy, blurry, traitorous eyes. 😭😭😭
Andreea Pop
REVIEW:

Actual rating: 3.5 Stars

So. I am conflicted. I initially gave Ruin And Rising 4 stars. After like half an hour of deliberating and second-guessing my rating, I switched it to 3 stars. If you'll ask me in a week, I'll probably say it was a 4 star read. So to be honest, I think it's a 3.5 from me. There are several reasons why I did this to the last book of one of my favorite series EVER and I'm gonna complain about every one of them, so if I start writing in CAPS, please understand that I'
Dorreh
Oct 14, 2016 Dorreh rated it it was amazing
I'm like a bubble of explosive happiness right now! That was incredibly perfect I can't really find the proper words!!!

But I'll try to anyways...........

"What two things are infinite? The universe and the greed of men."

This little point emphasized so much throughout this series. I adored every moment I spent reading this series. Although in my own experience I always love the first book in a series the most, because everything is so new and fresh. There is a certain giddiness associated with get
Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things
OOOOK....I know there are so many conflicting reviews on the ending to this amazing trilogy.

I think my perspective is a bit different... for this reason:

I literally could not choose how I wanted it to end.

I know, I might be a terrible person. But..I was totally OK with all three ending scenarios. At the beginning of this book.. I was literally rooting for Alina to save the Darkling, Alina with Nikolai, and Alina and Mal. RIGHT?? Come on guys.. you know you were curious about all three. Lets b
Andresa Sofia
Jun 14, 2014 Andresa Sofia rated it it was ok
Darth J
In this finale, you'll find more incomprehensible nouns.

A previously important phoenix plot that quickly fizzles out.

Some weird girl who used to be beautiful is now ugly muddled body positivity message.

Mal gets a dumb tattoo on his back that roughly translates to "I am become a blade" or some other crap, and it just makes me think of a lot of my millennial friends who have regrettable tats just because they think it makes them look badass.
What they think they look like:

What they actually look l
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

This will be difficult to explain because in fact I feel very nostalgic by the end of this trilogy that won my heart without my noticing it. But now that I am saying goodbye to the characters seriously I can say that I already miss them so much

description

This book has won all the stars in my opinion for the great growth of the characters through it. They have been courageous and strong at all times and I loved
Natalia
I've never been more disappointed with a book in my life. Probably because I've invested too much of my heart into this story and I expected to get at least something in return. This isn't the worst book out there, but the amount of potential squandered, the idea of what it could have been - it all makes me want to weep. I expected so much more from Leigh, but in the end, it turned out to be just another trope-ridden YA series.

More rant coming later.

***

We have a true cover, and everything is on
Kiki
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Right, so it's been about a month since RUIN AND RISING came out, but I know there are still a lot of you who haven't had a chance to read it yet, so NO SPOILERS. I will, however, be using my trademark vague-ery to discuss the issues I had with this book.

There are three. FYI.

I may also have a rant (I haven't decided yet), but if I do, I promise that you'll have to CLICK ON IT to be able to read it. Moving on.

I love the X-Men.

I'd like to say that I've loved them since I
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
Sep 17, 2016 TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
description

“Maybe love was superstition, a prayer we said to keep the truth of loneliness at bay."

Why you should read the Grisha trilogy:

1. The Darkling
7. Mal and Alina
8. Mal
9. MAL
10. Malyen Fucking Oretsev

If you haven't gotten it yet, I'm kind of in love with Mal. And I know some people preferred the other heroes over him. Maybe because he wasn't as funny as Nikolai or as seductive as the Darkling. But I loved that boy
Dulcie
Jul 22, 2013 Dulcie rated it it was ok
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
T.S. Eliot

What a perfect encapsulation of this miserable conclusion.

I thought I had prepared myself mentally for the worst of scenarios. Even as I prayed desperately for a satisfying ending to my favorite YA series of all time, I readied myself for every possible emotion: For devastation. For despair. For my soul to be raked over the coals until it became a shriveled, blackened thing so that I could never feel happiness again.

I was
Demi
Moral of the story: A woman should never show more strength and power than her boyfriend. Ladies, you must give up everything so you can be with your man.

The end.

....

Also, fuck any defense for this ending. The fucking title is "Ruin and Rising", and by naming the book this, Leigh Bardugo completely misled everyone into believing this book would be something its not.

Read this if you like heavily contrived romance that the actual plot suffers for.
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Okay, so apparently The Six Of Crows duology are the only two I love to death!

I couldn't decide on my star rating and finally decided on 2 stars. It's just not my thing. So many of my friends love this trilogy and I'm so happy for them. There is nothing like loving a book. =)

I liked and didn't like the ending. I can't say why because of spoilers.

The rest of the book was just mehhhhhh for me. I don't know what it was exactly and it doesn't really matter.

I still love Tolya and Tamar, they were
Liz
Jan 16, 2013 Liz rated it did not like it
Before the Review:
Dear Whoever-is-reading-this,
If you passionately love the entire series or this book I'd strongly recommend you to stop reading right here.
Yep. Here.
Exactly, don't scroll down for you will most likely don't like what I am going to say next and I hate to deal with comments that try to prove how awesome this book/series is. It might be awesome to you, but it isn't to me. And this review is entirely subjective so you won't persuade me anyway.
Thank you!

"Review" Or "An attempt
sana  °¤°
This review is mostly gifs bc I just cannot write proper English words and the only English word that I am able to write is the word "fuck" and there is enough of that if you scroll down.

Mal

Alina

The Plot

The Darkling

The Ending
description

If you don't want a whole fuck migraine, don't scroll down. :))

*eye twitches*
*closes book and stares off into the distance*
*takes a deep breath*
*implodes*

Literally trying not to fucking throw my fucking Ipad across the room. FUCK THIS BULL FUCKING SHIT.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
Maggie
Mar 01, 2016 Maggie rated it did not like it
DNF at 4%

OOPS!

*sigh* The most disappointed and shameful thing I've done so far this year that involves books—Marking one of the most popular and loved book by many many people, including one of my most anticipated reads as a did not finish book. You see, the problem is, I only loved the first book. I was told many many times that the 2nd and 3rd book get so much better, including the novellas, and boy were they wrong! Okay, maybe they weren't. But when I was told that, I had a feeling they we
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Jun 08, 2017 Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net rated it really liked it
1. Shadow and Bone: ★★★★★
2. Siege and Storm: ★★★✩✩
3. Ruin and Rising: ★★★★✩
Prequel:
1. The Demon in the Woods ★★★★★
_____________

See this review and more at www.bookbastion.net

Oh man, this was so much better than I could have hoped it would be!

Did it meet my own personal preferences? Not in the slightest. And while a loud and vocal part of my mind immediately started blaring red alert warning sirens when I saw things slipping away from how I hoped they'd go, I still appreciated the journey.

Note
karen
Aug 15, 2014 karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
"You are on your knees, " I said. "We are not negotiating."

i am pretty damned pleased with the way this third part wrapped up. after a kind of milquetoasty first book, bardugo kicked some ass with the second one, smearing pain and suffering all over her characters with a gleeful cackle. and it doesn't let up in this here third part. this one begins with alina in a very bad place, and it's all "oh no!! how is she going to get herself out of this??" and then - "oh, like THAT!" and it's perfection.
Maggie
Aug 11, 2013 Maggie marked it as to-read
Update; 6/10/2014

After finding out whats gonna happen, no way i'm reading this shit. This fucking sucks.

8/11/2013

So after reading some reviews, I have been advised to start these series after the last one comes out. There are too many hot men coming in and out and it's already painful/torturous to read a book with a love triangle, LET ALONE A LOVE SQUARE

But is it a bad thing I'm rooting for the Darkling, even though some say he's way past the point of redemption?

Cait • A Page with a View
It's been half a year now and I still can't find the words to review this masterpiece of a trilogy. The worldbuilding was so much fun. The characters were hilarious & real. The plot twists were incredible.

I loved every single thing about it... SO I now present to you the feels broken down in annoying gifs:

How I feel about Nikolai:

How I feel about The Darkling:

How I feel about Mal:

The beginning of this book in the caves:

The third amplifier twist:

THAT ENDING:

I'm fine with the end. Alina could
Victoria
Not really sure what to say.

In short:

(view spoiler)
Cait (Paper Fury)
WELL, 'SCUSE ME. BUT I'M RIDICULOUSLY UNHAPPY. I've had a weird mix of feelings about this series. I liked the first book but...never felt emotionally engaged? But then Siege and Storm was 5-star worthy. FIVE FREAKING FANTASTIC STARS. I fell in love with the world building and Nikolai and the magic and the science and Nikolai and Nikolai and also NIKOLAI. *ahem* And then Ruin and Rising? WHAT. HAPPENED.

For me, it was:
+ boring and slow
+ the first 100-pages made me want to nap
+ i didn't love any o
April
Mar 18, 2017 April rated it really liked it
Can't decide between a 3 and 4 star rating. At times I felt bored reading this book. But overall it was an okay wrap up to this series.
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Endsinger (The Lotus War, #3)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Sisters' Fate (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3)
  • The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly, #3)
  • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
Leigh Bardugo is the #1 New York Times bestselling and USA Today bestselling author of the Six of Crows Duology and the Grisha Trilogy (Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising), as well as the upcoming Wonder Woman: Warbringer (Aug 2017) and The Language of Thorns (Sept 2017).

She was born in Jerusalem, grew up in Los Angeles, and graduated from Yale University. These days, she lives
More about Leigh Bardugo...

Shadow and Bone (3 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (Shadow and Bone, #2)

Na razrusha'ya. I am not ruined. E'ya razrushost. I am ruination.” 573 likes
“I will strip away all that you know, all that you love, until you have no shelter but mine.” 508 likes