Start by marking “Siege and Storm (Grisha Verse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Siege and Storm (Grisha Verse, #2)

Siege and Storm (The Grishaverse #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  100,983 Ratings  ·  11,046 Reviews
ACE #1

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new po
Published June 4th 2013 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Siege and Storm, please sign up.

Kaylee Pratt Alina + Darkling = abusive (?) relationship
Aline + Mal = mope-fest
...
Alina + Nikolai forever
Nicole I don't think so, I was not really fond of the first one and the second one went downhill for me. After the first book I was actually giving up on the…moreI don't think so, I was not really fond of the first one and the second one went downhill for me. After the first book I was actually giving up on the trilogy, but I made the stupid decision of buying the three of them together, so I felt like it was a waste of money to give up this early and the least I could do was read. Not worth it. Now it looks like a waste of money and time!

I was hoping her heart would be a little more decided in this one...Uh-uh not happening. The book itself was just a bunch of indecision and worthless happenings. About the action... Well, there was much more but in some specific moments. VERY SPECIFIC.
(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,569 books — 11,027 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,500 books — 12,344 voters

More lists with this book...

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was loads better than the first book. I loved the new characters that were introduced & I'm digging the direction the plot is going in. I'm interested to see what happens in the final book in this trilogy!
Emma Giordano
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
5 stars!

I really loved Siege & Storm! I had not delved into the Grishaverse Trilogy since reading book one in 2015, and I am saddened that it took me so long to go back to this amazing world!

I definitely struggled with the beginning of this book, but I feel it is a reflection of myself instead of the quality of the book. I’ve realized that jumping into sequels of books I haven’t read in years via audiobook is a habit I should break as I don’t retain much from the beginning on the story, but
Katerina
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Yup, I'm still insanely in love with the Darkling. I'm going to burn in Hell. Or rule the world with him as his Queen of Darkness, whatever comes first.

“I know the truth in your heart. The loneliness. The growing knowledge of your own difference. The ache of it.”

Alina tried to deny it, the connection and the similarities with him, but she could't hide from the truth. Her purpose seemed clear; rebuild the Second Army, defeat the Darkling, destroy the Fold, free Ravka, find the third amplifier
Steph Sinclair
I always go into a second book in a series with fears that it will have the dreaded "Second Book Syndrome". I worry that the characters will regress, the plot will stall and surmount to overall ridiculousness, and in the end, become boring and lathered in disappointment. So even though The Grisha series is a new favorite for me, I still had these concerns. You cannot even imagine my glee when I discovered Siege and Storm did NOT suffer from any of these things. On the contrary, it was even bette ...more
Emily May
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok

This rating might come as a surprise after I was so excited to get reacquainted with the Darkling in my early status update. However, if it hadn't been for the scenes with the Darkling, this book would have probably only received one star - it's only his characterisation, his different layers and, let's face it, his sexiness that convinced me to rate this at two stars. Maybe I could stretch to 2.5 if I close my eyes and picture the Darkling like this:

I usually approach the sequels to three star
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first book, and I think it's partly because of my dislike for Mal, and partly because I found the moments between the high action points to be too slow/dull for my taste.

My favourite thing about this book was some of the new characters we meet, especially Sturmhond! I was also a little sad we didn't see quite as much of the Darkling, he is such an interesting character.
Kiki
The Good:
1. Alina and her inner dark anti-hero
2. Nikolai
3. Nikolai's face
4. Nikolai's clothes
5. Everything Nikolai said
6. Everything Nikolai did
7. The last 10%, in which some stuff actually happened

The Bad:
1. Mal
2. Mal, cause I seriously hate that asshole
3. The confusing and vague nature of Alina's powers
4: MAL

The Ugly:
1. How oddly fixated I am with this strange series and how invested I am in it despite lukewarm pacing and plotting and holes in the worldbuilding

All I want from the next book is
Cait • A Page with a View
When I first found the YA book community I was a little taken aback at just how much you guys care about fictional characters. I mean, I'd get pretty into books I was reading. I would occasionally tear up when a character died. Buuuut I just did not understand the caps lock screaming over people who... aren't real.

Then I discovered Nikolai Lantsov.

AAAAND MY PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN ABILITY TO FANGIRL LIKE A FREAKING PRO OVER TOTALLY FICTIONAL CHARACTERS.

I don't know how Leigh Bardugo managed to turn a
Wendy Darling
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: russia
Our Conversation with Leigh Bardugo is up, along with an opportunity to win our Siege and Storm ARC!

4.5 stars Siege and Storm is an exquisite jewel of a book. The second installment in Leigh Bardugo's Grisha Trilogy is full of adventure and magic--and in my view, it's even better than Shadow and Bone.

There are flying ships. A thrilling, poignant scene with a magnificent white ice dragon. A whirling, frenzied volcra attack in the night. A sobering ride through the city of Novokribirsk, where name
Christine Delilah (Maramochabooks)
Spoiler Free Review
“The Darkling had told her he was destined to rule. He had claimed his throne, and a part of her too. He was welcome to it. For the living and the dead, she would make herself a reckoning.
She would rise.”

PLOT RUNDOWN:(Now featuring more Dan and Phil!)

The irrelevants(Alina and Mal) are captured by King D(The Darkling)
And the Darkling being the Darkling
Alina being.... uh? Mal's body guard? In love?
Let's just say she's pretty useless for the first half.
(+ love triangle a
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
****UPDATE**** ITS OFFICIAL GUYS. LEIGH JUST ANNOUNCED A NIKOLAI SERIES ALKJFSLDKFJS:LDKFJS:LDKFJ
Check EW.COM for the trailer! *can't breathe* *dies*

Ok back to the review....

You know when a book is so good... so captivating.. that you cannot find the words to even give it a worthy review? Even now, I find myself without many words to express how much I love this series.

So I'm just going to leave you with a few reasons this book is totally legit.

1. PIRATES. Snarky ones.
2. STEAMPUNK STEAMPUNK ST
Chelsea Humphrey
Now listen here, I'm still on board with the series but about 70% of this book was SLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWWW........

*super minor spoilers

While this was definitely an informative middle chapter to the trilogy, I can't help but be slightly disappointed that there just wasn't more. I found myself really excited in the final chapters with the sudden blaze of action, but couldn't help feeling like Bardugo saved all the fun stuff for the end in an attempt to make sure no one gave up on the series mid way.
Kat Kennedy
Sequels are really hard to write reviews for. Mostly because people don’t want to read them for fear of spoilers, but keeping them spoiler free makes it difficult to properly discuss the book. So now I’m going to have to do this review in code.

In Siege and Storm Alina and Mal are on the run from the Darkling. They meet Pumpkin who has the ability to help Alina defeat the Darkling. Problem is, Mal and Pumpkin don’t get on at all. Also, the Darkling can now line dance which adds a level of complic
~Poppy~
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
“I have loved you all my life, Mal," I whispered through my tears. "There is no end to our story.”

“Why won’t you leave me alone?” I whispered one night as he hovered behind me while I tried to work at my desk.
Long minutes passed. I didn’t think he would answer. I even had time to hope he might have gone, until I felt his hand on my shoulder.
“Then I’d be alone, too," he said, and he stayed the whole night through, till the lamps burned down to nothing.”

I really liked it but few chapter in the mi
Mitch
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I think I might’ve been the only person who had one foot in each of the ‘Shadow and Bone is awesome’ and ‘Shadow and Bone is mediocre’ camps. Siege and Storm was supposed to be the book that made up my mind, but instead, it's causing me to do the split... I truly do see why so many friends have raved about Leigh Bardugo's series - a part of me absolutely feels the same way - yet at the same time, another part, maybe a bigger part, has so many issues with the story I also have half a mind to angr ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
The first book was a surprise for me - I had low expectations as I was basically reading this trilogy to read the Six of Crows duology.

I was excited to continue and this book fell short. 4 guys, 1 "oh so plain" girl... you get it.

I still love the magic system and the world and I'm hoping things will get better in the third book!
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
See this review and more on www.bookbastion.net

Shadow and Bone: ★★★★★
____________________

This might be the biggest let down of the year for me right now.

As good as the first book was, and as much as I was looking forward to the sequel, I just wasn't feeling it. If you'll forgive me for being a bit blunt, because I hate to say it, but a fair chunk of this aside from the beginning and end was straight up boring. Plot movement is almost totally sacrificed in favor of propping up events that are s
Kaylin
3ish Stars

Overview:

This is really hard to rate, because I really liked some parts, and really disliked others. Like Mal.

I really enjoyed the first book, but this series can go in two directions and I’m not sure I like one of them.

In the first novel, Alina constantly called herself a scrawny, 'useless' orphan girl. She had some major self-confidence problems, and her unrequited feelings for the golden-boy (Mal) didn’t help. But then she discovered her powers, met The Darkling and just came int
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
3.5 stars.

Hello. Considering this is a sequel I’m just gonna jump into my thoughts… beware spoilers ahead that I’m not tagging because literally anything I write in this review is going to be in some way or another a spoiler. (If you want a synopsis or actual coherent thoughts check out my review of Shadow and Bone)

While reading the first book of this trilogy(Shadow and Bone) I was always entertained but I had a big problem getting into the world and the book and just being invested in what was
Darth J
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
It starts with pirates.

There's an unconventional dragon.

Alina realizes that she must find a certain 3 amplifiers to defeat the Darkling.

With 2 amplifiers so far, her powers are heightened.

And a climactic battle at the palace ensues.

My other reviews for The Grisha series:
Shadow and Bone
Ruin and Rising
Six of Crows
sana  °¤°
This book was such a massive disappointment, considering I actually really enjoyed the first book. Half of the time reading this book was me pissed-fucking-off and filled with all bullshit in the world I can't fucking even. Also, there are going to be spoilers ahead for this book. You have been warned.

Bullshit #1: Mal. Ew.

description
What an annoying little mother fucker. You should probably know by now I fucking hate this guy more than anything in the world. WHY IS HE EVEN A PART OF THIS SERIES? Ugh he p
♥ Becky  22
!! This review contains (huge) spoilers for Shadow & Bone (The Grisha #1) !!

Shadow & Bone is one of my favorite books ever, and I couldn’t wait to read Siege & Storm. And, guess what? I wasn’t disappointed at all.
This book was fantastic.

Surprise, surprise, the Darkling survived the attack in the Shadow Fold. I knew it. (But then, who didn’t?) Darkness never dies. (Don't you just love that tagline?)

I’ll admit it: I love the Darkling. Way more than I like Mal. (Sorry, Mal.)
Unfortu
Natalie Monroe
“Watch yourself, Nikolai,” Mal said softly. “Princes bleed just like other men.”

Nikolai plucked an invisible piece of dust from his sleeve. “Yes,” he said. “They just do it in better clothes.”

I'd like to say Siege and Storm's higher rating is because of the better writing and Alina's exploration of her dark side, but who am I kidding? They're for Nikolai, aka Prince Perfect, aka "sweetheart or handsome", aka Thief of Whatever's Left of My Heart After Kaz Fucking Brekker Raided It.

He's the per
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
“I've seen what you truly are," said the Darkling, "and I've never turned away. I never will. Can he say the same?”

description

This has been very good indeed!

I have many mixed feelings about this book, I feel very happy about the love that has content, the position that Alina takes was very good,she is getting stronger and is much more determined about what she wants
But at the same time I have this discomfort by the lack of things on it like The Darkling mainly lol. And that clearly is a book that is dis
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I was Team Mal to the death in SHADOW AND BONE.

Yeah, the Darkling was hot in a not-so-vaguely sinister way, but friends-to-lovers will win over Bad Boys every time.

HA.

You'd think that by now I'd've learned not to speak in absolutes . . . but you'd be wrong.

SIEGE AND STORM, the second installment of THE GRISHA trilogy, begins with Alina and Mal on the run after the big showdown with the Darkling at the end of SHADOW AND BONE.

The showdown in which the Darkling's true natur
maymay ☕

Ahhhhh, and I had so much hope for this one.

description

If I had to sum this entire book up in one word, it would be. . . meh

Siege and Storm was AWESOME for the first 50% . . .
. . . and then . . .
. . . it ALL went down hillllllllll.

Uuuughhhhhh, I hate having to talk bad about one of my FAVOURITE authors BUTTTT there were just so many flaws with this book.

Mainly being the characters, I mean, I was CONSTANTLY annoyed by EVERYONE.

Mal – why is he still here, like what’s his purpose exactly?

Alina – fo
karen
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
so, yes - i found this book much more satisfying and original than the first volume. for one, i thought the writing was better, but also the themes are darker and truer than those in the first. there's more tension in this one, as alina ascends into a position of even greater power which separates her from her old life, and complicates her relationship with mal. accustomed to being the more capable of the two, mal is forced to accept that alina has responsibilities that are beyond him, and altho ...more
Khadidja Megaache
Okay so I finished this book yesterday and I had so many feelings: Anger, frustration, sadness you name it. i'm just glad that i have the third and last book in this series in front of me or i would have lost my freaking mind!

Spoilers are coming y'all

The basic components of this story are fascinating. Truly. The first and last 100 pages were AWESOME. let me tell you about the 232 in between:
If Leigh bardugo could just stop reminding us that Alina is the most powerful Grisha of all time. that wou
Reading Corner
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I definitely found this book good but I think it was harder to overlook the flaws in this one especially because I felt there was more faults than the last book.Shadow and Bone is difficult to live up to but Leigh Bardugo did deliver a good sequel but as expected I don't think it's as good as the first book.

Siege and Storm is much more slow than the first book and the characters are in the same setting for most of the book.I loved the new characters like the twins Tamar and Toyla and h

{4.6 stars}

I wanted to take this opportunity to declare myself completely in love with Nikolai Lantsov, Major of the Twenty-Second Regiment, Soldier of the King’s Army, Grand Duke of Udova, and second son to His Most Royal Majesty, King Alexander the Third, Ruler of the Double Eagle Throne –or as I like to call him Nikolai, the only one.

Alright, let’s get serious here.

This second book was a lot better than the first one and this is how things are supposed to be. You’re supposed to see an impro
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Everbound (Everneath, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
  • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
  • Thornhill (Hemlock, #2)
Leigh Bardugo is the #1 New York Times bestselling and USA Today bestselling author of the Six of Crows Duology and the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, as well as the upcoming Wonder Woman: Warbringer (Aug 2017) and The Language of Thorns (Sept 2017).

She was born in Jerusalem, grew up in Los Angeles, and graduated from Yale University. These days, she lives and writes in Hollywood where she can occasion
More about Leigh Bardugo...

The Grishaverse (3 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1)
  • Ruin and Rising (Grisha Verse, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99