Start by marking “Vulcan's Forge (Star Trek: The Original Series)” as Want to Read:
Vulcan's Forge (Star Trek: The Original Series)

Vulcan's Forge (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  896 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Just over a year ago, Captain James T. Kirk was lost to the Nexus while saving the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-B from destruction. Aboard the science ship Intrepid II, Captain Spock, commanding some of his old crewmates, must face the loss of his closest friend. But while still in mourning for one friend, he must come to the aid of another.

Decades ago, Spock had teamed up with

Published February 21st 2002 by Star Trek (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Vulcan's Forge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vulcan's Forge

Daniel Kukwa
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
It demonstrates a great command of Vulcan and the character of Spock, especially in its opening chapters. Nevertheless, it's not as engaging as either "Spock's World" or "Vulcan's Glory"...though it tries to move mountains in order equal their reputations. Strangely enough, it seems a bit redundant AND repetitive, though not quite in the same way as A.C. Crispin's "Sarek".

Kelly
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rereading this book very slowly before I go to bed. It's really well written and the characters feel true to canon. I especially love the Spock/McCoy dynamic and the play on the lingering bond they have so many years after the fal-tor-pan.
Mark Schomburg
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Lawrence of Arabia jokes number too many. Indeed, I get tired of the campy humor here, especially when the point is only to depict the Vulcan rejection of emotion. I would have expected less of this in a book focusing on Vulcan characters, and more explanation of exactly how and why Vulcans think. If one cannot find what a core Star Trek Vulcan is by reading a book or two in that world, then where can a fan find it? What we have here is more a sociological examination of planet Vulcan, by compar ...more
Lori S.
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Not bad, if a little disjointed.
Oleta Blaylock
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting story. It picks up a year after James Kirk's death in STAR TREK: GENERATIONS. Scotty has retired and the rest of the bridge crew is trying to get on with their lives. McCoy and Spock are still mourning the loss of Kirk and for Spock the loss of his mother. So much loss in such a short amount of time. So the story is divided into three parts. Part One: takes place on a planet called Obsidian orbiting an unstable Sun called Loki (what were they thinking). Part Two: take ...more
Taaya
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's filling the holes that the shows and movies left in Spock's life, but it's not perfect in doing so. There are a few incoherent things in the plot.
Still I've read/heard worse Trek novels and this one was rather enjoyable.
Carol Amano
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spock's early years

Great background on how Spock's early years molded him to become who he is! Great story and I'm ready for the next book!
Jennifer Sigman
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2017-reread
Decent empty calorie reading. Too many coincidences to be more than that.
Angela Kolter
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trek-universe, scifi
Samuel
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would you enjoy having to walk for the day in the desert when you are only thirteen years old? In Star Trek Vulcan's Forge by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, we travel back in time to see how Spock grew up. We learn about how he and his friend David were lost in the desert for three day on Spock's home planet, Vulcan. We also learn how Spock and David are lost on another planet, Obsidian, which neither one of the men know, fifty years later. Spock has to use his keen Vulcan senses to help the ...more
Indika De Silva
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The late Leonard Nimoy when reviewing the following novel described it as "Fascinating" and I wholeheartedly agree with that description.

The Novel takes place in an era after James T Kirk was lost to the Nexus while saving the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-B from destruction. Spock is now the Captain of a science vessel with Dr McCoy and Commander Uhura on-board.

The story takes place in a desert planet of Obsidian; where Captain Spock meets his childhood friend Captain David Rabin. In parallel to the
Michael T Bradley
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy these abridged versions of ST books on audiobook because I can get through them quickly, but they give me enough of the story that I'm entertained. And it's usually a ST actor reading them, which is fun. Here Nimoy reads this tale starring Spock, which is awesome (his Bones impression especially is pretty hilarious). Essentially this is a bipartite tale, half in the "present" just after Kirk's apparent death in Generations, and half in Spock's childhood, where we see his friendshi ...more
Josiah
Plot: B
Writing: B
Vocabulary: C
Level: Intermediate
Rating: PG13 (terrorism, kidnapping, hand-to-hand combat, hallucinogenic drugs, religious fanaticism, paranoid schizophrenia, harrowing desert crossing)
Worldview: All paths may lead to peace/god. Religious fanaticism leads to death.

Two parallel stories emerge: one from Spock's teenage years on Vulcan, one from the year after Captain James Kirk died. Both episodes follow Spock and his friend David Rabin as they must hazard a desert crossing to resc
Ray Ellis
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another single character Star Trek novel, focussing on the iconic Vulcan, written by two Spock-obsessed female writers. There was a lot to be wary of here. But actually I quite enjoyed it. The parallel storylines, one from Spock's adolescence and one from his adulthood, after the Enterprise years, work well. There is only a limited amount of new material that you can bring to a franchised character, but this novel does a good job of finding and filling in the few gaps left in Spock's biography ( ...more
Cary Spratt
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, star-trek
I don't own this one yet, but I have "Vulcan's Heart", so decided I should read this first. I'm glad I did. Regardless of whether I enjoy "Vulcan's Heart", I plan to add this one to my collection, as it seems to work just fine as a standalone. Touching, bittersweet moments of Spock and McCoy (and Uhura) missing Kirk after he is "lost" during 'ST: Generations'. I also enjoyed Spock's reconciliation with his father and finding out what prompted his decision to work toward Reunification.
ABC
Vulcan's Forge is a very good Star Trek novel. It takes place after Star Trek Generations, and deals with Spock's adventure in the present on the desert planet of Obsidian, and his adventure in the past on the desert planet of Vulcan, both of them with his Human friend David Rabin.
This book contains excitement, and huge portions of dry humor both blending together to make a very enjoyable reading experience.
Todd R
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek, trek-tos
An OK attempt at Spock as Captain and a a look into his childhood. The story was long and predicable, with very little to keep me interested. Fast-scanned about half the book, very little depth to this one even for a Trek book. I will read the next on though.
Kate
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll have to go back and re-read it to give it a proper rating but I don't remember hating it too much or liking it too much either.
Vana
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, own, favorites
FABULOUS read. One of the best ST novels written, hands down. Loved the original characters.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ambitious and wise narrative with some oddly amateurish failings with the storytelling and clumsiness with the language.
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was a teenager and absolutely loved it! I picked it up again because I had forgotten a lot of it. So far, I'm enjoying it as much as I did the first time, if not more.
Panda
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book - rates as one of my favourites.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Another winner in Vulcan lore.
David C. Mueller
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-star-trek
One of the best "Star Trek" novels focusing on Spock.
Micah
Yup, I am a Trekkie - wonders never cease:)
Ryan Martinez
  • Spock's World
  • Federation
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • Vulcan's Glory
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
Josepha Sherman was an American author, folklorist, and anthologist. In 1990 she won the Compton Crook Award for the novel The Shining Falcon.
More about Josepha Sherman...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire