Start by marking “Rosemary's Baby” as Want to Read:
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  86,471 Ratings  ·  2,389 Reviews
Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse, an ordinary young couple, settle into a New York City apartment, unaware that the elderly neighbors and their bizarre group of friends have taken a disturbing interest in them. But by the time Rosemary discovers the horrifying truth, it may be far too late!
Paperback
Published (first published March 12th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Rosemary's Baby, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lindsey Albright
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Delee
I knew from a young age that I probably didn't have the maternal instinct that is necessary to raise a child. I hated dolls- they creeped me out, and instead of dressing up the ones I was given as gifts- the dolls sat in the corner in various stages of undress- while I wheeled my cat whiskers around in a baby carriage- showing off his cute bonnets and frilly dresses. He was the best dressed kitty in the neighborhood. And if my parents were not convinced then, that I would never give them grandch ...more
Candi
"She didn’t know if she was going mad or going sane…"

Well, this classic horror novel certainly hit the spot this month! You simply can’t go wrong with pure and ‘simple,’ subtle fright for some pre-Halloween entertainment. This is a book very firmly set in the period of 1966 New York City, yet it never feels outdated on the creepiness scale! It has such a nightmarish quality that seeps into your psyche and makes you wonder on whom you can truly rely. Are people something other than what they appe
El
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I am not marking this review as containing spoilers, because honestly, it's the 21st century and if you know nothing about the book or the movie, then that's just sad and shame on you (unless you don't like scary things, in which case you shouldn't even be on this page). If you don't want to know anything about the story, then please stop reading here.

Disclaimer 2: This is probably going to be a long review because I have a lot of thoughts. If you don't want to read a long review, th
Mariel
May 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I'm afraid of karma
Recommended to Mariel by: the movies
This is why I will never have children.
Carol
ROSEMARY'S BABY is creepy as HELL!

I truly had no intention of reading this novel until I realized Ira Levin was the author. He sure could write creepy-scary too, and as with his other novels, he moves right along in the telling describing a 1966 New York City setting, young newlyweds Rosemary and Guy, and their new place of residence in the 'old' Bramford apartment building with a very dark history.

If you've only seen the scary as HELL movie, you'll find the book very similar, if not exactly the

Joe Valdez
What shocks me most about reading Rosemary's Baby is what fantastic fiction it is. Published in 1967, this thriller by Ira Levin flew off shelves and was adapted to film in 1968 by Roman Polanski into not only a prestigious studio picture but one that stands the test of time as one of the best horror films ever produced. In an afterword penned in 2003 and included in this edition, Levin expresses surprise by how faithful the hit film was to his book--preserving virtually all of the characters an ...more
Alice
holy mother of fucksticles
that
was
aye-maze-ing
4.75 This is no dream, she thought. This is real, this is happening. stars.
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary and her husband Guy are moving, looking for an apartment to have their children. When a place opens up at Bramford, they do all they can to get it, but it may have been the worst decision of their lives...

Rosemary and Guy have been married for several years, Guy is a failing actor, he just can't find any jobs. Rosemary is a housewife and only thinks about having chil
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

The horror of this book is not the devil, nor his baby-demon. The horror of this book is represented by the corrupt, deranged mortals who surround Rosemary, all of them led by Guy, her husband. He sold his wife's body for success. He drugged her, stood there and watched his wife being rapped by the devil.

description

He stood there and watched her conceive the devil's child... and getting tortured by the creature inside her for months.

description

And he stood there and watched while Rosemary was being used as a cow to
Ahmad Sharabiani
Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby #1), Ira Levin
عنوان: بچه ی رزمری؛ نویسنده آیرا لوین؛ مترجم: محمد قائد؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نشر کلاغ، 1394، در 291 ص، شابک: 9786007656006؛
بچهٔ رُزمری، رمانی کوتاه یا داستانی بلند، از یکی از بهترین نمونه های ایجاد تعلیق میان وهم و واقعیت است. فیلمی درخشان که رومن پولانسکی از روی آن ساخت در بسیاری موارد برگردانِ سطر به سطر و حتی کلمه به کلمهٔ رمان آیرا لوین به تصویر است. پرداختن به فراواقعی معمولاً با دلهره و سایه روشنهایی پر رمز و راز همراه است. بچهٔ رُزمری دلهرهٔ
AMEERA
3.5
OH GOD 💔💔'
Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I would like to start of this review by posting a special NOTICE for folks who own this novel from THE STEPHEN KING HORROR LIBRARY and have not read the novel before. DO NOT read the forward by Stephen King until after you have read the novel. I love King. I love King's analysis and opinions on things. But this is the first time that I have read something written by Stephen King that made me want to punch the man in the face. I don't mean that literally of course, but it's the best way that I ca ...more
Ellen Gail
“There’s nothing to be afraid of, Rosemary; honest and truly there isn’t.”

If you've seen the movie, you've basically read the book. I never realized what a faithful adaptation Polanski made, down to entire passages of dialogue and what clothes the characters wore. That said, both the book and the movie are fantastic.

I have to give the movie the slight edge due to Mia Farrow's outstanding performance, but I had a great time reading this.
Zuky the BookBum
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, 2017
This is no dream, she thought. This is real, this is happening.

Note to self and others: beware of overly friendly neighbours.

This is amazing. At just over 200 pages, this novel takes you on a hell (excuse the pun) of a journey that you won’t forget anytime soon. Levin has managed to make a novel so witty, and at the same time, so terrifying. In a way, the tone of this book is reminiscent of American Psycho (or rather American Psycho is reminiscent of this as it came out afterwards), but rather
Rebecca McNutt
This book might not be the most modern one out there, but it's still timeless, written in the era of the "love generation" and incorporating subtle elements of creepiness into the story until finally, it takes a dramatic turn for the bizarre and sinister. What could be more scary than knowing that a devil's cult wants your baby?

This book just isn't the same without the accompanying film though, the vibrant bright colors of celluloid film and the excellent acting and soundtrack were what brought
Gorgona Grim
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Jedan od klasika napisanih u okviru horor žanra, "Rozmarina beba" na odličan način dočarava unutrašnju borbu kroz koju prolazi protagonistkinja Rozmari Vudhaus.

Mladi bračni par okreće novu stranicu u njihovim životima onda kada odluče da se presele u stan koji se nalazi u zloglasnoj zgradi Bamford. Rozmarin prijatelj Hač je bio najglasniji protiv selidbe zbog zloslutne prošlosti zgrade - ubistva, samoubistva pa i slučaj kanibalizma je samo deo te prošlosti. Gaj Vudhaus je glumac koji se bori za
Claudia
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teuflisch gut!

Ein Albtraum zwischen Hoffen und Bangen, Phantasie und Realität.

Rosemary und ihr Mann Guy, ein Schauspieler, ziehen in das "Bramford-House". Ein alter Freund versucht sie zu warnen, vergeblich. Dieses Haus ist berüchtigt für viele Selbstmorde und Morde, die in vergangenen Zeiten stattfanden. Sie ist dermaßen begeistert, dass sie sämtliche Warnungen in den Wind schlägt.

Kurz darauf begeht ein junges Mädchen, mit dem sie sich angefreundet hat, Selbstmord. Sie ist erschüttert, doch di
Estelle
I really quite liked it! It wasn't scary but there was a nice tension throughout the book and a great climax.
If you like the movie, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the novel as well. Both are very similar and Polanski's Rosemary's Baby is easily one of the best horror adaptations out there.

Overall, a good way to start the #SpookyBRB month!
Gabrielle
Just as with “Stepford Wives”, “Rosemary’s Baby” is a book that seems to be about one thing, but that has many more layers than meet the eyes waiting to be peeled back by the reader. This is the magic of Levin: he makes you think you are reading a story about one thing, but introduces you slowly to a whole other level of creepiness that you could never have expected by reading the synopsis at the back of the book. And also just like in “Stepford Wives”, there is an interesting feminist subtext t ...more
Becky
4.5 Stars

I admit that I'm a little torn on what to rate this book, so I split the difference, although I'm really tempted to go all StarSearch™ up in this piece and do 4.75 stars. (Wait, did they have a 5 star rating system? No, I think it was only 4. Crap. Well, anyway, you get the point. That is, unless you're younger than me and don't even know what StarSearch is. In that case, you're a jerk, and go away.)

Anyway, I'm torn because, having seen the movie before, I think that Roman Polanski nail
Puck
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic (horror) fans
This book is not about a baby.

Okay, maybe a little, but don’t be mislead readers because there is so much more to this horror book that what the title indicates. This is a terrifying story about isolation, about control (and losing it), about spousal-abuse. About being horribly betrayed by people whom you should be able to trust. About sweet Rosemary, who despite her role as protagonist, has the least power of all.

"Before Rosemary’s Baby nature was the enemy, in the form of ghosts and death
Bill
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is more like it.

Prior to reading this, I was a month and 800 pages into George R.R. Martin's Storm of Swords, a sprawling epic with dozens of characters and several storylines.
After stumbling across severe spoilers, and still 400 pages to go, I threw in the towel. I was burnt out on the story, and was getting much more excited about my to-read pile than the book I was reading. It was time to stop.

This is what I needed: A nice & tidy, straightforward story.

Man, it has got to be over 30 y
Addy
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was simply fantastic! Great scary read for Halloween that gave me the creeps throughout. Most everyone has probably read this great classic, so I won't go into the details of what it was about. I will say it had a lot of surprises for me and kept me on the edge of my seat, so I can see why it turned into a classic horror movie as well. Just beware if you hear some strange chanting in or near your abode. Make sure you know you're neighbors, let alone you're own husband and always keep a ...more
Josh
May 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bettie☯
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC Radio Listeners

Description: Kim Cattrall reads the classic best-selling horror about a young, newly married couple who move into a fashionable Manhattan block which harbours a terrifying secret.

A special Halloween one-off abridgement of this darkly brilliant tale of modern devilry by Ira Levin (The Boys From Brazil, The Stepford Wives) which later was faithfully adapted by Roman Polanski into an Academy award-winning film starring Mia Farrow. According to film-making leg
Δημήτρης
Ένα από τα κλασικά βιβλία που εγώ δεν ήξερα την ύπαρξή του. Παρά μόνο την ύπαρξη της ομώνυμης ταινίας. Ευτυχώς δεν είχα δει την ταινία -αν και ήξερα σε μέσες άκρες τι γίνεται-, και ευτυχώς έπεσε το μάτι μου πάνω στο εν λόγω βιβλίο σε ένα βιβλιοπωλείο.

Αν και δε θα το έλεγα ακριβώς τρόμου, είναι μια ιστορία που δημιουργεί αρκετά άβολα συναισθήματα με αποκορύφωμα το επικό φινάλε. Οφείλω να ομολογήσω ότι καθόλη τη διάρκεια του βιβλίου θεωρούσα ότι πολλές σκηνές ήταν περιττές και υπήρχαν απλά για να
Mindi
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even count the number of times I've seen the film Rosemary's Baby. To this day, it remains firmly in my top 10 favorite movies list. Perhaps it was my love for the film that kept me from reading the novel it was based on, but I finally decided to give it a go, and I'm kind of making it into a theme now. The next two books on my TBR pile are popular novels from the 60's and 70's that were made into equally popular films.

Now that I have read the novel, I understand why I love the film. Rom
Knjigoholičarka
Sa jedne strane - sjajno napisan roman, koji postepeno gradi atmosferu paranoje i strave, i maltene do samog kraja ostavlja (nespojlovanog) čitaoca u dilemi da li je Rouzmeri u pravu, ili samo umišlja?

S druge strane - crne sveće, ponoćne mise, orgije u slavu Satane, veštičarenje, crne mašnice (da), crna kolica za bebu, crna benkica za bebu, srebrni privesci protivu uroka i toliko goth estetike od koje ćete pomisliti da se nalazite na rođendanskoj žurci Varga Vikernesa*.

Čisto sumnjam da bi Nečas
Franco  Santos
Buen libro. Está catalogado como clásico de la literatura del terror, pero por mi parte tengo que decir que miedo no me dio. Quizás las últimas cincuenta páginas me hayan incomodado, sin embargo no pasa de eso.

description

Es una novela muy rápida y amena, con mucho diálogo. Ya al principio Ira Levin nos siembra el misterio y nos invita a creer en cosas que están más allá de nuestra percepción de la realidad.

En fin, entretenido, para pasar el rato. Se lee de una sentada.
StaringGirl
In Jesus' name I pray!
Even though I'm an agnostic, who occasionally flirts with atheism, I have a strong urge to steal a hanging incense burner from the closest church, and start swinging it around my apartment.

Είναι εκπληκτικό πως, ενώ από την αρχή βλέπουμε τα πάντα μόνο από την οπτική γωνία της Ρόζμαρυ, υπάρχει μια δυσκολία να δεθείς μαζί της, και αυτό οφείλεται στην αφήγηση που ξεκινά άχρωμη, με απλές παραθέσεις γεγονότων.
Στην πορεία ο Άιρα Λέβιν αλλάζει ταχύτητα, κλιμακωτά σε αφήνει να μπει
  • The Omen
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Audrey Rose
  • The Sentinel
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • The Fog
  • The House Next Door
  • Damien: Omen II
  • Falling Angel
  • The Elementals
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play was turned int
More about Ira Levin...

Rosemary's Baby (2 books)
  • Son of Rosemary
“Anyone who needs more than one suitcase is a tourist, not a traveler” 139 likes
“Like so many unhappinesses, this one had begun with silence in the place of honest open talk.” 13 likes