Start by marking “My Dream of You” as Want to Read:
My Dream of You

My Dream of You

Crime of passion or cruel twist of fate?

One summer’s day Betty let love carry her a step too far. That exquisite sun dappled afternoon became one of her best memories but also the catalyst for the worst experience of her life. Now elderly, Betty has been running from her past since she was a teenager, and it’s about to catch up with her. Will the experience be as awful as
Published June 16th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published May 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Dream of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dream of You

Kirsty Stanley
Katherine
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Dream Of You tells the story of Betty's life - from her teenage years to her mature years. The story begins with Betty as an old woman, thinking about her past. Then it transports us to when Betty was a teenager living in the English countryside. We learn about her cruel mother and her cousin & best friend, Maggie. The story focuses on spending time at the Fair with Maggie and meeting Joe. We learn about their relationship and how they fell in love so quickly and yet so deeply. Then we se ...more
Rachel
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I start the week slightly in awe of D. J. Kirkby. As well as being an educator, wife, mother, trained midwife, non fiction writer and children's book author, she is also an author of adult reading treats like these.

My Dream of You tells the tale of Maggie and Betty, two very different girls who dream of a bit of fun and an escape from their reality of life, especially in Betty's case, as her mother makes Ma Bates look homely.

I won't spoil the book - I detest spoilers - but this book is heartbre
Book-shelf Shelf
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
The cover doesn't do this book justice.. even the blurb cant express how good this is and its an easy read, which makes it even more enjoyable. The first half of this book takes us back to an age that your mom/gran would remember and how Betty suffered at the hands of a proud mother. I loved every page of this... its written as though it is Betty telling us, with the use of language and descriptions makes you truly believe you are in that era.
The second half of the book, I was not as found of..
Lisa Williams
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Warning! First chapter 'Why Betty Cried' is so intriguing you have to read the whole book cover to cover in one sitting.

I got given a promo copy of the book but this hasn't affected my review... Enjoyed it so much soon as finished I bought her latest novel.

Cover somehow doesn't suit the heart wrenching story.
Nite Byrd
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
DJ is an amazing writer! Love this book!
Margy
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just a very sweet book of memory and hope. Well written. I hated to say good bye to the characters.
Kathryn
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
The story kept me turning the pages, although the ending was quite predictable and too good to be true. The characters were definitely the strongest point of the novel and I found myself caring very deeply about the fate of the protagonist. The narration, which felt rushed and clumsy throughout, was a let-down. I wouldn't call this quality literature, but it is a touching story and makes an enjoyable light read.
redandwhite
Sweet love story, but very slow in getting to the point (at about 45%) and then somehow the middle of Betty's life got left out, which was a pity, then the second half of the book seemed rather rushed rekindling several relationships and getting everything in before the end, which was a happy one. Liked it but ..
Margaret Minton
Jun 13, 2014
Julia Kim
Dec 02, 2014
Lisa
rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2014
Sheryl
Aug 30, 2014
Fiona
May 20, 2012
D.J.
May 20, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Chris King
is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2018
grumpyoldbird
Feb 02, 2014
Dee lives in the South of England in a home otherwise filled with males – husband, boys and pets – she writes to escape the testosterone.

She writes using the name D.J. Kirkby and Dee Kirkby. Dee is the author of Without Alice, My Dream of You, My Mini Midwife, the Special Deliveries series, Realand, Raffie Island and Queendom (The Portal Series for 7 - 11 year olds), and The Rules.

Dee can be found