Start by marking “Thirst” as Want to Read:
Thirst

Thirst

'The best Antarctic thriller since Ice Station.' James Phelan

Antarctica is the coldest, most isolated place on earth. Luke Searle, maverick glaciologist, has made it his home. But soon his survival skills will be tested to the limit by a ruthless mercenary who must win at any cost. The white continent is under attack. The Australian team is being hunted down. C
Published August 2012 by Pier 9

To ask other readers questions about Thirst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirst

Brenda
Mac and Dave were in the throes of packing up at the crevasse where they’d been working – they were looking forward to getting back to Hope Station, the Australian base. Winter was settling in and most of the engineers and scientists had left Antarctica for the season; there would only be eight of them left on base for the duration…

Luke Searle had lived on the base for around seven years, going home to Melbourne only occasionally. He loved the research; as a glaciologist he could app
Tez
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I blame Cassandra Rose Clarke. Ever since I read and thoroughly enjoyed Our Lady of the Ice, and short story White Out, I've wanted more Antarctic fiction. (Jennifer Longo's Up to This Pointe is on my wishlist, by the way.)

And so I stumbled upon Thirst, a standalone novel by British-Australian author L. A. Larkin. Glaciologist Luke Searle is in for the fight of his life when a sinister plot unravels on the ice, with catastrophic results for the entire world unless Luke can stop it.

I don't rea
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
3.5 stars...

This isn't the best Antarctic thriller I've read but it was a decent read. I enjoyed being swept up in the Antarctic environment moreso then anything.
Michael
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, 2012, arc, australian
This review originally found on my blog - http://literary-exploration.com/2012/...

In the harsh environment of the Antarctic, the people of Hope Station are been hunted down. Glaciologist, Luke Searle has to fight for survival against a mercenary that will win at any cost, while trying to prevent an environmental disaster. He only has 5 days to fix this, can he stay alive long enough? Does he really know what he is going up against? LA Larkin’s Thirst is an Eco-Thriller set in one of the harshest environments known to man.
P.D. Martin
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first work I've read by LA Larkin and I was impressed from the first page to the last.

There were lots of things to like about Thirst, but most importantly it was a page-turner, a book that kept me wanting to come back for more.

I also really enjoyed the setting of Antarctica. Although I’ve never been there, I felt that Larkin captured the environment incredibly well--particularly the feeling of penetrating cold and the sense of complete isolation.

Finally, I li
Lauren K
Australian female crime writer, L.A. Larkin has cut through the hard-as-ice male-dominated genre with her second thriller, Thirst. Set in Antarctica and featuring an Australian research team, I appreciate Larkin using characters from our shores who are toughing it out in an exotic location, one of the most untouched regions of the world.

Recluse glaciologist, Luke Searle tends to clash with his team leader Maddie, because his strengths don’t lie in working as a team or
Vicki Tyley
“Snow algae. Look at the colours: the pink algae, the white ice, the blue sky – it’s breathtaking. It’s untouched. Antarctica is like the Garden of Eden before man cocked it up.”Thirst

The blurb doesn’t do this impressive environmental thriller justice. Based on that alone, I probably wouldn’t have picked up this book. So thank you to everyone who recommended it.

This action-packed thriller has it all: a unique setting, fast pace, engaging characters (especially Maddie and Luke), a h
Peter Mccloud
I was lucky enough to get hold of a first proof copy of L.A. Larkin's awesome Antarctic thriller, Thirst. I can see why it is described as 'The best Antarctic thriller since Ice Station.' The action hooks you in from the very start, the setting is breath-taking, the characters are complex and Luke Searle - the hero, Maddie Wildman - the station leader, Wendy Woo - the daughter of a murdered tailor, and the adversary, all go on character journeys that make them intriguing. And the climax certainl ...more
Hazel Edwards
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: antarctica
Extremely fast paced thriller with thoroughly researched Antarctic details. 'Thirst' relates to ice-eco-politics and Chinese attempts to illegally harvest ice and militarily strategic minerals from Antarctica. Last month I enjoyed 'Devour' by LA Larkin who is an extremely accomplished plotter, but for character involvement and plot twists I prefer 'Thirst' which is her earlier book in the growing genre of 'Antarctic Noir'. Glaciologist Luke is an adventurous hero with flaws and Station Leader M ...more
Karen Brooks
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fortunate enough to be sent an ARC of Thirst, the second novel by Australian writer, LA Larkin, I spent a cold, rainy afternoon devouring this page-turning adventure in one sitting. While you could liken it to Matthew Riley’s Ice Station, I much preferred this and feel it’s more comparable, for various reasons, to Dan Brown’s Deception Point (set in the opposite pole), though fans of either writer would consume this original novel with pleasure.

Set in Antarctica in present times, Thi
Book Bazaar
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Thirst by L.A.Larkin is unashamedly a novel written in Matthew Reilly territory – and that isn’t a bad thing! This is a fast paced novel that is full of twists, turns and action.
The novel is set in Antarctica and the unforgiving landscape adds to the tension, as there is very little leniency allowed in the time line. The novel follows an Australian research team who are staying over the winter at Hope Station to continue their work. As you would expect, the main characters are full of interesti
Deb Bodinnar
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I did not want to put this book down!! The one thing I really loved was the fact that is was action packed from the first chapter all the way through to the end. Luke Searle, the Aussie in the middle of everything was a very likeable character and kept you on your toes with his "breaking the rules" attitude. When I was half way through this novel I had the pleasure of listening to L A Larkin discuss what she experienced while researching this Antarctic thriller, twice in the one day actually!! B ...more
Monnie
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me say at the outset that I'm one of those strange dudettes who, given a choice, would much rather have weather that's too cold than too hot. Still, the very thought of spending time at a place that's so cold that you can say goodbye to any body part that's exposed to the air for more than a couple of seconds sends chills up and down my spine.

So when I had a chance to get a free Kindle version of this book, I admit I almost passed it by; the setting is Antarctica - certainly not what I'd ca
Laura Pilcher
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, especially as it was one of the free ones from amazon. It is very comparable to Deception point by Dan Brown and i thought it wouldn't live up to it but it did. I liked the characters, they were complex and had lots of baggage which is how i like them lol. Starts with a punch and keeps punching until the climax at the end which is a good one.
An easy read that is quite easily read in a single or a couple of sittings. Will look out for more books by this author.
Igor Veloso
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quick reads and thriller lovers
3,5 out of 5

T MINUS 5 DAYS, 2 HOURS, 53 MINUTES
March 5th, 9:07 am (UTC-07)

Im guessing this is one of those “beach reads” but instead of being a steamy novel is a thriller. I was lent a “book of selections”, where there are a bunch of short but enticing reads. Thirst was the one that interested me more and I’m proud of my choice capabilities.

Was not only my first read of the type but also my first Eco-Thriller. Luke Searle is simply a researcher who minds his own business and explores th/>T
IAN SPEIGHT
Trying to get a bearing on books set in the Arctic or in this case Antartica is a hard ask. No landmarks to focus the mind, And trying to follow the story when everything is just White! None the less L.A.Larkin knows her stuff when it comes to the Antartic and it shows in this clever Novel, which moves at the pace of a runaway sledge! Good solid characters & a rattling good story.

An isolated scientific station; a ruthless businessman planning to exploit an untapped resource; a ma
Judy
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
A gripping fast paced adventure from the very first page.
Even my kitchen floor had to wait to be cleaned as I just had to read on to see not if, but how Luke would survive against his maniacal opponent who had killed several of his friends and threatened his son's life.
Luke is a passionate glaciologist working in Antarctica when some mysterious mercenaries arrive on a top secret and illegal mission. The severity of the climate with unpredictable blizzards, and dangerous crevasses hin
Lyn Ambrose
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this action packed Antarctic thriller down. Glaciologist Luke Searle has worked in Antarctica over many seasons. He is headstrong and knows what needs to be done in response to most situations. This puts him at odds with camp commanders and at times earns him a reputation that does not serve him well with authorities. Something with world wide consequences is about to happen and it is Luke who needs to stop it.

The author hooked me early in the plot and had my heart racing. This
Ruth P
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars actually as overall this was a very readable thriller...high octane excitement that would make a great film.A ( fairly) believable premise and Larkin clearly knows his/ her?..snowy tundras as the description of Antarctica felt authentic.What let it down in places was a slightly cartoonish element to the bad guys....they were formulaic and old fashioned in what was a current tale of climate change and superpowers putting greed before saving the world.
However that said
Shreela Sen
It's a cool novel. It's fast paced, classic adventure. Tragedy strikes, but the description is not too gory. I enjoyed reading it. Only, it was one twist too long. Whether the villain went ahead with his, or the hero held his own, I felt that the last "hand played" was a drag. The novel would have ideally ended in 15 less pages.

This "overclimaxing" made it a 3 star, instead of 4 star novel.
Jen
Dan
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride!

Cold, ice, powerful enemies, explosions; this story has it all. I guess it will not be a spoiler to say SOME survive! Rekable story line, strong characters an lots of action!!!
Michayla
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good read. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Very fast paced and I couldn’t put it down.
Cindy
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea about how to save the world. Some I the language was simplistic and cliched.
Richard
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, plot
Having met LA Larkin at an AWC writing workshop about a year ago, and being interested in coming to grips with the genre ahead of my own attempt to write a thriller, I decided to read 'Thirst' as one of six randomly picked thrillers. The story is set primarily in the Antarctic, with Sydney as the secondary location for the B plot. The story is comprised of many short chapters, using the countdown trope 'T minus ...' to propel the narrative along.
The story begins in media res with the murde
Karen
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the earliest thriller writers that got me hooked on the genre was Alistair MacLean. Granted that was a very long time ago now, but in my mind, his books always had a sort of triple threat scenario - place, weather and people. Reading THIRST by L.A. Larkin I was really struck by the similar environment, albeit with a touch more romance than MacLean would ever have countenanced. I was also struck by the characterisation of the central male protagonist. Luke Searle, maverick glaciologist, a ...more
M.G. Edwards
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of Antarctica thrillers since John Carpenter’s 1982 horror film “The Thing” kept me up at night for a week after I watched it. In her nail-biting thriller “Thirst,” Author L.A. Larkin taps a similar vein of man (and woman) versus the unknown in the dreaded white and often hellish isolation of Antarctica. Her story about an attack on an Australian research station near Pine Island Glacier by terrorists offers spine-chilling suspense that rivals the frozen dread haunting “The Thing ...more
Monica Mac
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I have read by L.A. Larkin and I really enjoyed this one as well :) Reading books which are set in Antarctica is a little unusual but since I have had a fascination with it for years, this book appealed to me even more. It did not disappoint.

Thirst was a gripping book about power, corruption, friendship and the will to survive, no matter what.

I loved the character of Luke, and I liked Maddie and the other characters as well. The author does a fabul
Kimberly
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This book took me some getting into. About five chapters in, I was finally able to grasp the story line. The chapters are busted up into smaller sections, so it is easy to find a stopping place.

I felt in the beginning there were a lot of characters, situations and big vocabulary to get through. The author is a very intelligent lady, so it comes out in her wording.

I primarily bought this book for my interest or rather obsession with the Antarctic. After the five chapters I can say I
Hayley
An absolutely fantastic book. I won a free copy from my local book store, and whilst it sounded interesting, I had never heard of the author and thought that I was just in for an average read. How wrong was I. This was a fantastic book, beautifully written, well-plotted, and with a dramatic yet important message to boot.

The story centres around Luke Searle, a glaciologist who spends most of his time working in the beautiful and mystical Antarctica. A loner, Luke prefers the company of the expan
« previous 1 3 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. "Thirst" by L A Larkin 1 3 May 30, 2014 05:40PM

• Bluff
  • The Bet
  • Divine Fury (Enzo Lee Mystery, #2)
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Hidden
  • Double Bind
  • Volcano Watch (Forensic Geology #3)
  • Swan Loch
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • The Storm Killer
  • Covert Reich
  • Stigma
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • The Ninth District (Volume 1)
  • First Time Killer
  • A Dash of Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #1)
  • Love Can Be Murder
“You really don't like people much, do you?" " Sure, I like people, but in small doses.” 1 likes