Start by marking “The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)” as Want to Read:
The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)

The Whispering Skull

(Lockwood & Co. #2)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  14,413 ratings  ·  1,826 reviews
In the six months since Anthony, Lucy, and George survived a night in the most haunted house in England, Lockwood & Co. hasn't made much progress. Quill Kipps and his team of Fittes agents keep swooping in on Lockwood's investigations. Finally, in a fit of anger, Anthony challenges his rival to a contest: the next time the two agencies compete on a job, the losing side ...more
Published September 16th 2014 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Whispering Skull, please sign up.
Deb I think it is a different experience for the Middle School aged readers who probably enjoy being empowered and more powerful than the adults that rule…moreI think it is a different experience for the Middle School aged readers who probably enjoy being empowered and more powerful than the adults that rule their lives!(less)
Rosie This is an late answer, but yes. Yes it is.

·  14,413 ratings  ·  1,826 reviews

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Well,” Lockwood said, “if you judge success by the number of enemies you make, that was a highly successful evening.”

Did I ever mention that I love “Lockwood & Co”? Those three are so funny and amazing and it was a pleasure to be able to dive back into their world. It felt like I never left it and I had no problem to get back into the game. =)

This time around they were after an object that was pilfered from a mysterious coffin and I was really curious how this story would unfold. I love hau
alyssa
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5-stars, 2017-reads
4.5 Stars

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ and a half / 5 stars
Lead Male Character: ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Lead Female Character: ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Plotline: ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Genre: Mystery, middle-grade, thriller, action, adventure, ghosts
Will I recommend this book to others?: Of course!
Will I reread this book?: Yes!
Overall story summed up in one word: Marvelous!

There are just some books out there that are so good that words can't do it any justice. You simply have to pick up the book and read it for yourself to see
may ❀
Y’all wanna know a secret?? I read this book back in June and I seemed to have forgot I had to write a review for it. 😉 😉 😉

There’s something with the books in this series that starts off REALLY slow and takes me quite a while to get into, but once I’m into it, I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN.

"It's hard to say no to him. It always is"

- you know you got issues when you’re more invested in shipping 13 year olds than actively living your life
- ft. a type 3 whispering skull that is a savage and prefers to roa
Sana
This is a reread.

LOOK I'M CRYING. I AM DYING. THAT ENDING IS SO SWEET AND I JUST WANT TO CRY. The characters, the plot twist, this entire story is just so incredible, hilarious and everything I need in life. I love George, Lucy and Lockwood more than I love myself and that probably sounds really sad lmao. I'm incapable of writing a review bc honestly i don't know how to for this. All you need to know that this series is perfection. So get your butt to read it, if you haven't??
Chaima ✨ شيماء

my personality literally changes minute by minute but i will never stop being more emotionally invested in this series than i am in any of the relationships i have with my family members!!!

continuation buddy read with: this muggle
Frankie Lovely
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Frankie Lovely by: Sana
4 stars
Review to come

Still great but I didn't love it as much as the first.

This one had a big of a drag in the middle.

But still an awesome series for all ages!!
Darth J
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Darth J by: Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
So this sequel finds Lockwood and Co. on the hunt for an artifact known as the bone mirror (which has powers that are speculated upon, but never fully explained):

They are guided by a glowing green head in a jar:

Along the way, they find themselves in a restricted library:

And then sword-fighting ensues because they carry rapiers around everywhere for some reason:

Then there's a final showdown with a shadowy figure:

I have to say the storytelling seemed quite scalloped to me, in that there are many l
Ginger
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The Whispering Skull is the second book in the Lockwood & Co. series and starts off 6 months later after the group survives the night in one of the most haunted houses in England.

Anthony Lockwood, Lucy and George get a new client that wants help with an excavation of a body in an old cemetery. Turns out the body is Edmund Birckerstaff who had died in a violent way years ago and his coffin is sealed in silver.
This is the start of a fun and well paced sequel that includes the mystery of the de
✶Rachelle✶

This was just wonderful. The action, the romance, the suspense. Agghhh I can't get enough of it! Lockwood, Lucy, and George have become my newest book BFFs. AND THAT ENDING.

So I can't really review this without spoiling the first book, so if you haven't read the first book stop reading this review and go read the book!!

Lucy's Talent becomes more and more intriguing....and in this one, we find out that the ghost in the jar is actually a Type 3 and our girl Lucy can communicate with him.
Veronique
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 re-read

"Well,' Lockwood said, "if you judge success by the number of enemies you make, that was a highly successful evening.”

I had high expectations for this book, having loved the first one, and thankfully The Whispering Skull didn't disappoint. Stroud builds on the previous events as well as on the characters' development. We are once more thrown into ever more thrilling action, suitably creepy, interspersed by scenes focused on our protagonists, while resolving an intriguing mystery. I mu
Madeline
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I read the first book in the Lockwood & Co series over a year ago, mainly out of nostalgia - I was a huge fan of Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus series when I was younger, and it was fun to discover Stroud's newer series. It had everything I expected from a Stroud book: scary paranormal stuff, sassy banter, fast-paced action, and a setting that I still cannot stop imagining as Victorian England. (I think it's the fact that the kids use rapiers as weapons that's throwing me off, but there's hone ...more
Faye, la Patata
So you live in a haunted house, and are regularly disturbed by... erm, supernatural beings day in and day out. You have work in the morning, but god forbid that female ghost roaming in the halls freaking you out to the point of pissing your pants. You want to sleep but you can't shake off that weird feeling following you around the house. One day, your patience has been stretched to the point of no return when a hostile entity manifests itself, and you promptly realize that this has to be stoppe ...more
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
3.5 / 5 stars

"'Plan F, we follow Plan F, right now.'

'Is that the one where we run away?'

'Not at all. It's the one where we beat a dignified emergency retreat.'”

Once again, I was transported into this book and enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't realise how much I missed Lucy, Lockwood and George until they started bantering again—they're hilarious with their little British insults.

This is the second book in the Lockwood & Co. series, and it picked up where it left off. Lockwood & Co
Cora Tea Party Princess
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Creepy, friendship, secrets, adventure, GHOSTS!

I love this creepy alternative world that Jonathan Stroud has created. It's dark and twisted and I can't get enough.

These books are creepy. These books are excellent.

The Whispering Skill is just as well written as the first Lockwood & Co. and doesn't fall into that second book trap. If anything, this one is filled with even more heart-pounding action!

And I love Lucy.

She's just as kick-ass as she was the first time round, still a complex
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
This series is fantastic. I liked book 1 a bit more but this was great anyway. I hope book 3 will be a 5 star read again. Oh and why the hell is there a different narrator in every Audiobook?¿? Unacceptable.*grumbles*
Tara ☽
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, m-g
Sometimes you just need to read a series about a trio of sassy teenagers hunting ghosts and solving mysteries together to be reminded that life is worth living.

I have officially decided to adopt Lucy Carlyle, Anthony Lockwood and George Cubbins. You know you're growing slightly out of the official target age range for YA when this is your reaction to a group of teenage characters - even though these are admittedly on the younger end of YA. Honestly I think this series is the perfect bridge betwe
Stacey (prettybooks)
I forgot how much I love Lockwood, George and Lucy. They're one of my favourite trios in children's fiction at the moment, rivalling the most famous of them all. Each character shines, from Lockwood's inexplicable ability to act and think both like a teenage boy and an old man, George's chaotic dedication to researching archives and consuming biscuits, and Lucy's impressive intelligence and determination to solve even the most dangerous of cases and support her argumentative friends. She's been ...more
AliceGoldstein
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Still so much months to go *sigh* *sigh*
Is anybody else seriously starting to feel like this too?:

The perfect sequel!I loved how Lucy starts to understand her powers and that she feels more confident because of them.
Katie Lumsden
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such good fun! Well-paced, funny and imaginative - I would highly recommend.
Jody
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, spooktacular
Thoughts: The Whispering Skull was another entertaining read in Jonathan Stroud's Lockwood & Co. series. Book 2 takes place 6 months after book 1, and Lockwood, Lucy, and George have been trying to build their reputation as one of the top ghost hunting agencies in London. They have been doing a decent job considering the bigger and more established agencies they have to go up against.

In this installment Lockwood & Co. are asked to oversee an odd ironbound casket be dug up in Kensal Gree
Eilonwy
Having gained a bit of a reputation for solving the problem of the Screaming Staircase, Lockwood & Company get hired to tackle another troublesome ghost -- this time, in direct competition with their arch enemies, the Fittes Agency.

I don't want to say too much about this second book in this series. It continues in the same vein as the previous volume, with equal mixes of humor, tension, mystery, and complicated plot threads that tie together in the most unexpected ways. I greatly enjoyed it
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
Great book, reminds me a lot of the kinship in the Harry Potter series, the author's has a great writing style! he does an amazing job at keeping the balance with thrilling and humar and curiousity!
Lata
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy, Lockwood and George are ghost hunting again, and the humour, horror and sarcasm fly equally. This time, the head in the jar provides equal measures of assistance and insults while the trio work on their latest large case to find and secure a dangerous mirror with a deadly history.
The series continues to be fun, though I felt uncomfortable by how often George's weight was brought up and used to insult him. Lucy's discomfort, and at times, insulting assessment of the other females the group
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dtb-book
I really liked the first book but this was so much better than the first. Even though I had a bit of a slow start with it, once it did get going I had a hard time putting it down.

The characters are more fleshed out as well as the modern yet almost steampunk/Victorian feel to the world that Lucy and gang live in. Plus, the ghosts were scarier and the stakes were higher. Can't get much better than that. I'm really looking forward to reading the third book (hopefully) soon.
Kribu
Last year, The Screaming Staircase was one of my most anticipated - with a certain amount of anxiety - books of the year. I didn't actually expect to love Lockwood & Co. as much as I'd loved Stroud's Bartimaeus series, but I hoped to love the book anyway.

And I did like it. I did. I just never really connected with it. Wanting to love it, so badly, probably didn't help - my expectations were so high that the book, which was, actually, really pretty good, ended up a little bit disappointing.

Ne
Bonnie
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Well, I make that one murder victim, one police interrogation and one conversation with a ghost,” George said. “Now that’s what I call a busy evening.”
Lockwood nodded. “To think some people just watch television.”

Lockwood, Lucy and George are back and at it again, diving straight into another perilous assignment this time involving the most dangerous Visitor they have yet to go up against. After a recent job goes awry and the recently excavated burial site has been looted, including a most pe
The Captain
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! Day two with book two of the Lockwood & Co. series completed. Challenge is going well so far. Arrr! If ye haven’t read the first book in this series, the screaming staircase, then ye might want to skip this post and go read the first book. Worth the read. If ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . . . . .

It was absolutely wonderful to get back to Lucy Carlyle and the rest of the agency run by Lockwood. The gang survived th
MadameMelli
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, neu-2015
What? This ending? That is SO not fair!

I think this book was slighty less good than the first one. There were parts that seemed too strechted. But all in all I liked the story very much, espacially getting to know more about that skull and Lucys talents.
Kristen
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Stars

There were some parts of this book that I liked more than the first, but there were also so many parts that were kind of boring and my mind kept slipping in and out of focus and wandering off like a naughty little puppy without a leash. I'm not sure if that's my fault, or the book's, but the struggle was real. I would read a few pages, be super into it, and then my eyes would glaze over and I'd have to go back and reread a paragraph because I had literally no idea what just happened.
Scott  Hitchcock
Urban fantasy middle school level book about ghost detectives. I enjoyed this even more than the first. Very good for kids of that age.
Characters 4 51 Oct 17, 2014 07:11AM

• Constable & Toop
  • Smek for President! (Smek, #2)
  • The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #2)
  • The Night Gardener
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief
  • Fork-Tongue Charmers (The Luck Uglies, #2)
  • The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #3)
  • How to Catch a Bogle (City of Orphans, #1)
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Castle Hangnail
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Key That Swallowed Joey Pigza (Joey Pigza, #5)
  • Greenglass House (Greenglass House #1)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)
  • Hoodoo
Jonathan Anthony Stroud is an author of fantasy books, mainly for children and youths.

Stroud grew up in St Albans where he enjoyed reading books, drawing pictures, and writing stories. Between the ages seven and nine he was often ill, so he spent most of his days in the hospital or in his bed at home. To escape boredom he would occupy himself with books and stories. After he completed his studies

Lockwood & Co. (5 books)
  • The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1)
  • The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
  • The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co., #4)
  • The Empty Grave (Lockwood & Co., #5)
“- Plan F, we follow Plan F, right now.
- Is that the one where we run away?
- Not at all. It's the one where we beat a dignified emergency retreat.”
46 likes
“This was classic Lockwood. Friendly, considerate, empathetic. My personal impulse would have been to slap the girl soundly around the face and boot her moaning backside out into the night. Which is why he's the leader, and I'm not. Also why I have no female friends.” 35 likes