Start by marking “No Peace for the Damned (Damned, #1)” as Want to Read:
No Peace for the Damned (Damned, #1)

No Peace for the Damned

(Damned #1)

Magnolia Kelch is no stranger to pain. Beautiful and powerful, she’s spent her entire life at the mercy of her sadistic father and the rest of the Kelch clan, who have tortured her and tested the limits of her powers. After one particularly heinous night that leaves Magnolia nearly dead, she finally sees her chance for escape…

But this first taste of freedom is short-lived
Published July 10th 2012 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about No Peace for the Damned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Peace for the Damned

Ian
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-favorites
I crushed his hand instantly, the bones breaking to bits under my grip. I slammed a quick extended-knuckle fist into his larynx, no more than bruising his windpipe, but incapacitating him nonetheless. Then I swung him completely out of his chair, twisting him to his knees in front of me, his back pressed to my front, his broken-handed arm pinning him in place. The Glock 34 he’d had tucked into the waistband of his jeans now rested nicely in my other hand. I pressed the gun to his temple.

Magnolia
Emmy
It feels like there is still so much more of this story to tell and I'm frustrated now looking forward since the series is unfinished and there's been no sign of the author online for almost 2 years. Which makes me think that the third book will never be finished.
Katy
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of dark urban fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Book Info: Genre: Dark Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of darker urban fantasy

Disclosure: I received a paperback ARC from the Amazon Vine program in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Magnolia Kelch is no stranger to pain. Beautiful and powerful, she's spent her entire life at the mercy of her sadistic father and the rest of the Kelch clan, who have tortured her and tested the limits of her powers. After one particularly heinous night that lea
Rea
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
I was going to say that this book really frustrated me as I was reading it but that's not true. It was Magnolia's character that really got on my nerves. I just couldn't click with her at the start of the novel and then things didn't improve from there on in.

There's a limit to how powerful you can make your characters before the book becomes a form of wish fulfilment instead of an interesting story, and Magnolia is far beyond that limit.

She's got all the basics: super strong, super fast, super
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This was a hot, exciting read. There is horrific violence, but no explicit sex. It's still a definitely adult read that is immensely enjoyable.

Magnolia's life has been impossibly hard and it's unthinkable what she has gone through so far. To live with your family trying to kill you every day? That's horrible. Mag is one tough cookie though.

Theo may have been the male star of the story, but I really loved Thirteen. Aside from the fact that his name is ridiculous and not a real name, he is such a
Feminista
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Would have been five stars if it wasn't for the overly used trope of a promiscuous hero...
Stephanie
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would love it if you visited this review at my blog: FANGS, WANDS and FAIRY DUST

No Peace for the Damned by Megan Powell
NO PEACE FOR THE DAMNED
Megan Powell
47 North/Amazon Publishing
7/10/2012
Book obtained at BEA. No remuneration was exchanged and, except as noted all opinions herein are my own.

Magnolia Kelch has spent her whole life being tortured by her sadistic father, uncles and brothers. Ever since they discovered that she is impossible to kill they have subjected her to horrific experiments and never ending pain. When she finally manages to escape from the family estate she is rescued by Thirteen, leader of the Network, an organisation created to fight against supernatural terrorists. The Network's biggest target is the Kelch family and Magnolia has vital information that could h ...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, kindle
I was strange, beautiful, ethereal. I was a monster.

Dark, intense, and incredibly disturbing. No Peace For the Damned is an urban fantasy debut with a large dose of horror. As a reader who is fascinated by gore and violence and protagonists who straddle the line between good and evil, this was an immensely enjoyable read.

Powell has created a world where supernaturals possess a wide variety of abilities - telepathy, telekinesis, rapid healing, invisibility, enhanced strength and speed, and more
Julie Wear
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Megan Powell is the author of No Peace for the Damned. It is her debut novel and her first installment in The Damned Series.

“On a silent inhale, I stretched out my power until I was completely invisible.” This is how we first meet Magnolia Kelch. She is escaping from horrors we have not yet learned about and just when we think she has made it and we can breathe a sigh of relief she is hit head-on by a car with her last thought being “there was no peace for the damned.”

If you want to learn more a
Siv Therese
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I reallly really wanted to like this book. Truly I did.
And I were sooo excited, since the plot sounded interesting.
It also fell under some of my favorite points in fantasy; kickass heroine, action, powers, confucion, angst and hot boys/men.

MAY CONTAIN VERY SMALL SPOLIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But after chapter one, something changed.
First off: what REALLY annoyed me.
- The chapters felt clipped and short, as if each chapter were just made to point out that some time went by. Why oh why do you need
Erin
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 rating

This book was... very interesting. I liked the fast pace action and the introduction of a new world with supernatural creatures living "hidden" among the norms and an underground group determined to stop them.

But... I felt like I was dropped from a great height into this world and hit the ground running. Sometimes this is ok, but in this instant, it took me a little while to get into the story as I was trying to keep up and figure out what was going on. Magnolia was an enigma that was
Kirsty
This was an interesting start to a new series by a debut author. There are some very strong parts to the novel, but some parts needed a little more TLC.

What I enjoyed about the book was that it stood out as original in a well used genre. I read many, many supernatural / paranormal books, and this one did shine in some areas. Throughout the whole of the book, you never really find out what Magnolia actually is. Her various powers are described, and there was a drastic change for her at the end of
AmandaSOTP
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
Yes, I should be discussing Magnolia. She is the main character, but wow, I can't get Theo out of my mind. The connection between the two and the growing intensity, is equal to what I want and finally have in my fiancé. Powell's ability to convey the strong connection they have and yet not make it mushy drives this book to the top of my list for a paranormal relationship. This is by far not a paranormal romance in any respect and I think that's why I enjoyed this small aspect of the story so muc ...more
Shinyfox
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok

Hooo this was graphic. Plenty of blood, guts and gore here folks. I liked the world and some of the mental shifts of the main female lead as she began to get used to the 'real world'. However one thing struck me as just being 'too much'. Magnolia was just too powerful. She was powerful at the beginning of the book, but by the end of it I got the feeling she could start and end world war 3 by herself and come out with a scratch or too.

I didn't like Magnolia at all (I liked what little mental shif
Jaye
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. The writing is strong, but the story itself is something of a mess. Talk about total immersion storytelling: this book drops the reader into the story with no explanations whatsoever. The narrator is Magnolia Kelch, the daughter of a family of evil sadists with supernatural powers. She spent her childhood and teens being tortured so her father could determine the limits of her powers (she apparently has none). Mind reading, telekinesis, shape-shifting, invi ...more
Laura Kiowski
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this super paranormal book but it was over to quickly. Luckily, I found Megan Powell's website where she has deleted chapters that the editors mistakenly decided made the book "to long." As a reader I would have enjoyed reading about the bond that developed between Thirteen and Magnolia. I guess the publishers didn't want to develop their relationship since it was only platonic. Give your readers a little credit there are so many deep relationships in life that have nothing to do ...more
Sharon Lofton
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Certainly something different for me. Magnolia is a little psychotic and that is okay. The romance is a little rushed and undeveloped, and there isn't enough real cohesiveness between the team. (One member is abducted and tortured, rescued and instead of checking in he goes and gets in Magnolia's bed and goes to sleep?) Magnolia's family is really creepy and frightening and I really enjoyed reading something so different. It's The Adam's Family on steroids.
Rosalind M
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The idea was an intriguing one that would have worked better with some additional worldbuilding. Characters rushed into action when they should have known better, given their backgrounds and knowledge levels. Potential consequences were often glossed over. And I never felt enough of a reason to cheer for Magnolia, despite a background that should have made sympathy and empathy natural reactions to her.
Jenn Cunha
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bea-2012, own
So I received and ARC of this one at BEA 2012, but only got around to reading it now (I suck). I'm even madder at myself because I loved it. While I wanted more details (what was it about Mag that put everyone in a state of lust? where did the supernatural powers come from?), I felt totally satisfied with the book and the way it ended. I felt like I needed more backstory, but since this is part of (at least a two-book) series, hopefully I'll get more in the next one.
Tina
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have-won
I won this book through the First Reads giveaway section
I would have never read this book if I didnt win it. I am glad I won it cuz I would have missed out on an amazing book. The story line goes quick, so your not really waiting forever for something to happen. Though I was a bit bummed at the end cuz now I have to read the next book haha. All in all I liked reading the book and hope the next one is just as good, cant wait for it to come out :)
Melissa
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I kept thinking that I was reading the second in the series. I had no idea why there was apparently only one supernatural family and I had no idea what they were after in the story. Why was the network formed - just for this one family???I felt like I was dropped into the story and floundered for the remainder. Did my Kindle miss a prologue or something??
Kim23454
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am not very good at writing reviews, but I loved this book. it was written by a friend from high school. it is not my normal genre but the story really sucked me in and I just wanted to keep reading!
Jessi Szigethy
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Solid start for this series. I want to know more but feel like I have enough information to keep going. The heroine , Magnolia, is kick ass and vulnerable. She is also put in a terrifying position with her family. Theo. theo. theo. what is the deal with that?
Anne
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z2012-bir, zkoll-bir
I really liked this book. It was well written, fast moving, and I sympathized with the main character, Magnolia. There was a bit of subtle romance but it's mainly urban fantasy. Recommend! Looking forward to reading book 2.
Laureano
Very original story.
Must read.

Hayley
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, but there were some details I felt the author left out. Some parts I was confused but it all blended together in the end.
Tiffany
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
4.5 stars review coming.........soon :)
Debrac2014
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read! Magnolia is part of a family ruled by torture and pain! She escapes and joins an organization fighting against her family.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Werewolf's Tale (Forbidden Alliance, #1)
  • Lilith
  • Grave of Angels
  • Carnival For The Dead
  • Awakenings
  • Justice (Galilee Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • Technomancer (Unspeakable Things, #1)
  • Howl (Kane Wolves, #1)
  • A Bed of Thorns and Roses
  • Justice at Cardwell Ranch (Cardwell Ranch #2)
  • Getting Real
  • The Name of the Game
  • Kiss & Make Up
  • Inked Magic (Inked Magic, #1)
  • After Life
  • Found (Penny Black #1)
  • Fighting Faith
  • Point of Origin (The Survivors, #2)
Born and raised in the Midwest, I have a strange affinity for State Fairs and basketball humor. When not writing I am often found reading, usually feeding my paranormal romance addiction. I love cheap coffee with tons of sugar and can eat no-bake cookies by the dozen. Exercising isn’t bad, but I’m pretty sure dieting is the work of the devil.

Damned (2 books)
  • No Love for the Wicked (Damned, #2)