Start by marking “Rebellion & In From the Cold (Serena & Ian) (The MacGregors, #0.1, #0.2)” as Want to Read:
Rebellion & In From the Cold (Serena & Ian) (The MacGregors, #0.1, #0.2)

Rebellion & In From the Cold (Serena & Ian)

(The MacGregors #6-6.5)

Two classic historical MacGregor tales--"Rebellion" and "In from the Cold."
AVAILABLE DIGITALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME
Includes the full MacGregor historical novel plus bonus MacGregor novella.

Set in 1745, "Rebellion" tells the story of Serena MacGregor, whose hatred of all things English extends to her brother's friend Brigham Langston. He'll prove himself worthy of the MacGr
Published April 10th 2012 by Intermix (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Rebellion & In From the Cold (Serena & Ian), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebellion & In From the Cold (Serena & Ian)

Start your review of Rebellion & In From the Cold (Serena & Ian) (The MacGregors, #0.1, #0.2)
Jan
A novel, Rebellion, set in 18th century Scotland, that culminates in the infamous Battle of Culloden. Also a novella, In From The Cold, set in America in the next generation, where some of the MacGregor descendants have emigrated to make a new life in the New World.

Both clearly focus on a love story, with historical events forming a backdrop, which is how I usually like my historical romance reads. These two were both a bit lacking, however. Admittedly, Rebellion was first published in 1988, and
Bobbie Boldt
A very quick romance read. Early Christmas reading for 2020. Entertaining but needed to skip over a lot of predictable plot. Better reads by Gabaldon with more depth of history.
Megan
Dec 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was what it was!
I loved Serena and Brigham and their whole enemies to lovers thing but I found pacing a bit hard to follow as time clearly jumped but it was rarely addressed.

I also was under the impression that there would be more to do with Christmas in Rebellion considering the marketing of this but that definitely was not the case.

All in all it was fine.
Emma | readwith_em |
I read about 80 pages and wasn’t really that in to it, so I decided to not finish
Wendy Johnson
I'm only giving this 3 stars because I was unaware this was already a published book when I bought it. I was also unaware that the first 3/4 of it would have nothing to do with Christmas at all. This is actually the full MacGregor historical novel, "Rebellion", and a short bonus novella, "In from the Cold". This book was originally published in April of 2012.

While they're wonderful stories, taking an old novel and slapping a Christmas cover on it right before Christmas to resell left me feeling
Kathy Monroig
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy

Learned A lot about Scott's history interesting to learn about the beginning of the McGregors love reading and rereading these books
Marilyn Fontane
A MacGregor Christmas by Nora Roberts consists of two previously published books by Nora Roberts: Rebellion (1988) and In from the Cold (1990) tied together by some of the characters who appear in both books although the first takes place in 1745 and the second in 1774. There is no Christmas scene in the first (300 of the 400 pages), but Christmas is prominent in the second. Although the dates and the settings of the two stories are different, the story line of both is identical. The first, Rebe ...more
Tanya
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts
This beautifully written book contains two stories of the Macgregor family set in the 1700s. In rebellion the year is 1745. It focuses on the Macgregor clan in Scotland Ian and Fiona and their children Coll, Serena, Gwen and Malcolm. Serena hates the English because they attacked her mother when she was a child. She is fiercely independent and hotheaded and has no plans to tie herself down to any man but things change when her brother Coll returns home when his English friend Brigham lord of Ash ...more
Ann Boytim
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two stories in this book The first set in Scotland in the winter of 1745. The MacGregors are supporters of King Charles and Serena is the fiery daughter in the family with a strong will of her own and a hatred for the English. Serena's brother returns home with his friend Brigham who happens to be an English lord and the fireworks begin between Serena and Brigham Hatred turns into love but it is not an easy path.
Second story is set in America in 1776 with an injured minuteman Ian MacGregor a des
Pam
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MacGregor Christmas is written by Nora Roberts. It is wonderful to revisit the MacGregor clan with Nora Roberts. She writes in such a clear and concise manner about adventures in Scotland in the 1700’s as if it were today. She makes you believe you are back there with the MacGregors in their castle and taming the area around them. The presence of the English is horrible to the MacGregors; but especially to Serena MacGregor. How could she be attracted to him? What will his presence mean to them ...more
Julie Eichelberger-Ford
A MacGregor Christmas is two separate stories in one novel about the beginnings of the MacGregors and how they came to America. The first story, although set in Winter, has very little to do with Christmas and more to do with the history and romance of the Scottish clan during the rebellion and war of Culloden. In From the Cold is set in America some thirty years later during the Christmas season. It centers on the son of one of the main characters from the first story and his discovery of his t ...more
Donna Schwartz
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why this was labeled a Christmass Anthology. The first story, which was about the Scottish rebellion, wasn't really a Christmas story. I like it, but I knew from the date what was going to happen right from the start, having read the Outlander series. With Serena's brother being left behind in Scotland, there's a big hole in the story.
The second story is a short one, but the romance of the story is a little rushed, but with a happy ending.
Alison
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read, though was wondering in the first story where Christmas was. Typically Mills and Boon style, with a splash of Scotland and Ireland and some rather gorgeous and bad English. Sex scenes, though not overly gaudy, so not perhaps for younger teens, maybe 18 up. Quick, easy read though don't expect Christmas until the second story. ...more
Traci
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for a Christmas feel-good story but was surprised that this book was a repackaging of 2 earlier novels. The first 3/4 of the book was a story about finding love during the era of Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Scottish uprising. It has nothing to do with the holidays. The last 1/4 of the book was a lovely novella that was Christmas-filled and enjoyable.
Callie
Nov 26, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2020
As much as I try, romance is not my cup of tea. Outlander just can't be beat for a Scottish time travel historical romance. 🤷‍♀️ Wish I liked this since I bought instead of borrowed! It's a little too cookie-cutter lack of depth romance, initial hate and disgust laced with attraction that will eventually turn into something. I just can't with these. 🤮 ...more
Liza Robertson
It's okay but just a small warning that 75% of this book is about the war in Scotland and only 25% is about Christmastime which is only the second story that is about that. I like truly magical Christmas stories, not anything against the author. The stories themselves are fine just a side note because I got as a gift to read for Christmastime.
December 13, 2020
Aimee
Easy and quick read. However, I think Diana Gabaldon got her entire Outlander premise from this book. They book have Scottish Highlanders and the Battle of Culloden. They both say Sassenach and have an English traveler fall in love with a highlander. I love Outlander so I had fun with it but felt so weird to have similar plot lines.
Mary
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit it .....I really did not like this book. I found the romance between Serena MacGregor and her English lover, Brigham, very tiresome. The "romance" scenes made me want to throw the book down as he endlessly groped her. Yuck!.
Lacey
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The romances seemed like date rape in the age of #metoo. They kept fighting each other & the women said no. Also, I was disappointed that Serena & Brigham came to America & owned slaves. I guess freedom only extends to the white people in the story.
Sheila
I thought there would be more historical data, as I love to read about Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Scottish/British battles, etc., but there wasn't much.

I loved the characters and the time setting.
Maria
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the 2 stories of the MacGregor clan. My first time reading Nora Roberts. Look forward to reading others by her. It's similar to Outlander, for which I love the series. Can't get enough of the main character Jamie... ...more
Deanna
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two good Christmas stories! Love the continuation of characters! I also love a strong, sassy, no-nonsense female character. No sissies here! Of course the man is always strong...and handsome...and muscular... ;)
Beth Cook
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, cheesy, but I loved the two stories! I lost ancestors at the Battle of Culloden. My two sisters have been to the battlefield. I am a new Englander. Two stories...each about war and desire for freedom...and love.
Charlene
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
History
Bonnie Howland
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was incredibly similar to Outlander the series, so it seems that the story is similar to something already written. I did enjoy reading it though.
Connie
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read this book, but it wasn’t Holiday related much. I wanted more holiday at this time.
Evelyn
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both of the stories in this book are fabulous. Nora Roberts never disappoints me I love all her books.
Sarah Roark
Dec 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Very predictable and boring because of this. Wasn’t very Christmas-y either.
Ayny
It was more history than romance, esp. in the first story.
Alana
Dec 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as my last prompt for my 2020 reading challenge. Yeah!!! It was an easy story with some good one liners from Serena. For a romance novel it was good.

• A Christmas Message
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Christmas Backup Plan (Twilight, Texas, #11)
  • Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds, #3)
  • His Woodland Maiden
  • Double Dragons Boxed Set (Dragons of New York, #1-3)
  • His Metal Maiden (Space Lords, #3)
  • His Earth Maiden (Space Lords, #4)
  • Tiger Protectors; Box Set
  • Dragon Next Door (Forgotten Dragons, #1)
  • His Fire Maiden (Space Lords, #2)
  • Rent-A-Dragon: Box Set
  • Notre-Dame: A Short History of the Meaning of Cathedrals
  • Date-A-Dragon; Boxed Set
  • Aquamarine (Awakened Sea Dragons, #3)
  • Tourmaline (Awakened Sea Dragons, #2)
  • His Frost Maiden (Space Lords, #1)
  • Zinc Dragon (Dragon Guard of Drakkaris, #4)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Hideaway, Under Currents, Come Sundown and coming in November 2020 -- The Awakening -- the first book in The Dragon Heart Legacy. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print. ...more

The MacGregors (10 books)
  • Playing The Odds (The MacGregors, #1)
  • Tempting Fate (The MacGregors, #2)
  • All The Possibilities (The MacGregors, #3)
  • One Man's Art (The MacGregors, #4)
  • For Now, Forever (The MacGregors, #5)
  • Rebellion (The MacGregors, #6)
  • The MacGregor Brides (The MacGregors, #7)
  • The Winning Hand (The MacGregors, #8)
  • The MacGregor Grooms (The MacGregors, #9)
  • The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors, #10)