Start by marking “Mrs. Hornstien” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Hornstien

Mrs. Hornstien

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A lyrical novel about family, love, loss, renewal, and changing generations follows a young woman's first encounter with her prospective mother-in-law, Mrs. Hornstien, and her realization, years later, as she meets her son's fiance+a7e, that she has become that same woman. 75,000 first printing.
Published May 15th 1997 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Hornstien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Hornstien

May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has all the elements of a Sarah book: shy protagonist, poignant simplicity, delicately descriptive prose, and then out of nowhere...TOILET.

For the love of literature, just cut away! Narrate from the dining room. That part was lovely...

This novel didn't quite come together for me. Aside from the gratuitous bodily functions, parts of it felt too drawn out. Parts of it felt hurried. Parts of it didn't need to be there at all. Still, there's something about this author that I really do like. I'
Kataklicik
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you're not married, you'll find the hometruths in this book disturbing. If you're on the verge of getting married, then treat those hometruths as fair warning of what's to come. And if you're already way into married life, then like me, you'll start agreeing with with those disturbing opinions. Good book.
Sharon Huether
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, love
A beautifully written story of love, family and acceptance.
Deana
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2007, read-library
I have mixed feelings about this book.

On the one hand, I felt that it had many profound and wonderful sentences. I felt the need to write down a few quotations from the book that I thought were very well said. The story itself was good, a tale of a young girl who meets her future mother-in-law for the first time at the beginning of the novel, and the story of their relationship unfolds as the book continues. It is the story of love between a husband and a wife, the story of mother's relationship
Vicky
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little book is very intense and even disturbing. It centres on the idea of the "Jewish mother" - the stereotype that is so popular in literature and films. But here is not a Woody Allen movie. The main character is in a web of contradictions, one moment she is a monster, another - a wise and kind mother. Nothing here is black and white. At the end the book is about the succession of generations, of love/hate relationships between parents and children and how it all is meaningless at the end ...more
LuAnn
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fredrica Wagman is one of my favorite authors and Mrs. Hornstein did not disappoint. This is the story of family and the generations contained therein. As the main character readies to meet her son’s fiancé, she remembers her own first encounter with the woman who was to become her own mother-in-law and how that woman shaped her adult life.
It’s fascinating and intriguing and truly a work of literary art. I absolutely adored this novella and will definitely grace my bookshelves along with other r
Monicagonzo
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting but contradicting short read. Although I cannot relate to having a love/hate relationship with my own mother-in-law this book did demonstrate the stereotype of mother-in-law/ wife relationships. The ending twist was a nice touch as well. Read for your self and see what I mean!! The capitalization for emphasizing was a bit much though for me, but not too bad.
Irene
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author when I was living in Philadelphia and she was a customer at the coffee shop where I worked at the time. Lovely little book. Ms. Wagman also brought me a slew of her Virgina Woolf books. I'll always remember that.
Wyma
Aug 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A totally different book, told in stream of remembrance. The two mothers leap out of the book just as the Marty describers her mother-in-law..."A great raw power shot out of her ...her enormous spirit leaped out ." However it is Marty I am fondest of because she told me her story.
Momasita
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
The book would have been better if publisher did not overuse uppercase words to communicate emphasis. Very distracting and annoying.
Tiffany
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hermien
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
What an absolutely delightful little book.
Lori Lentini
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
descent. a battle between bride to be and mother in law.
Kathleen Widner
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Very quick read. Could have been better if the main character would have been able to get a word in edgewise.
Kathleen
Oct 01, 2014
Krystal
Oct 09, 2017
Fredrica Wagman
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
ems
Jul 31, 2012
anne
Sep 26, 2009
Alicia Kachmar
rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2008