Start by marking “Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist (Mrs. Pollifax, #13)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist (Mrs. Pollifax, #13)

Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist

(Mrs. Pollifax #13)

Working with her retired CIA friend John Farrell, Mrs. Pollifax must smuggle a manuscript out of Jordan, a document that encodes the shocking truth of Saddam Hussein's reign.
Hardly are the two airborne when the coils of Middle Eastern intrigue begin to unwind. Mrs. Pollifax's seatmate is not the affable Arab businessman he pretends to be. It is not imagination that
Mass Market Paperback, Fawcett Gold Medal , 215 pages
Published September 28th 1997 by Fawcett Books (first published February 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist

Start your review of Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist (Mrs. Pollifax, #13)
Jesse
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist, Mrs. P teams up with old buddy/comrade John Sebastian Farrell as they head off to Jordan to rendezvous with a contact who was trying to smuggle some top secret information out of Iraq, written in code in the guise of a novel. It starts out as a simple courier assignment--which, when Mrs. P is involved, always ends up being anything but.

I really, really liked this one. Part of the reason is that it paid homage to its roots. There were so many references to
itchy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w
off to work;
will think tomorrow
Mark Baker
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, mystery
Mrs. Pollifax teams up with her old friend Farrell and heads to Jordan to smuggle out a manuscript about life in Iraq under Saddam Hussein. Their mission is complicated when someone - the wrong someone – seems interested in them. Might it have something to do with Mrs. Pollifax’s seatmate from the plane?

Welcome back to the late 90’s and the penultimate Mrs. Pollifax adventure. Things get off to a great start, but unfortunately Mrs. Pollifax isn’t a driving force in most of the climax. That’s
Amy
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just realized I read this one out of order... ooops!

Another off-the-books trip with Farrell. This time to Jordan, to meet someone who might have a manuscript left by an Iraqi author who was murdered by his government.

Diane
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Mrs. Pollifax mysteries. They offer such escape after the hard-boiled mysteries I often read. In this one, she and Farrell are on another mission in the Middle East.
DemetraP
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun. Lots of twists and turns I didn't see coming.
Lynda
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Horrified and excited to find there are two MRS Pollofax books I missed! Thoroughly enjoyed this book as expected of MRS P, as she is borrowed from the CIA by old friend Farrell to make his trip to Jordan look like it's simply a tourist trip. Of course everything goes a bit haywire and that is when the fun and adventure begin. Loved it!
Alexandrea
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Although you don't need to read these in order, you certainly get the best story that way. I read most of them over a period of time about a decade ago, and recently bought the whole set so I could reread them. The series could be called a bit dated, being set back quite awhile, but I learned some useful history about the politics of other countries while I read them.
Mrs. Pollifax is an interesting woman and a likeable character, and what I like best about each book is that she meets some great
Kyrie
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
I guess this story is proof you don't ever really retire from the CIA, because Farrell is supposed to be an ex-agent and here he is, travelling in Jordan with Mrs. Pollifax, smuggling things out and fighting terrorism.
Lynda
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thoughly enjoyed the reread.
Jenn Estepp
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been saving the last two Pollifax books for when I really needed them. This week qualified.
Sara
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mrs. Pollifax and Farrell head for Amman, Jordan, to find a controversial Iraqi writer who also does some spying for the CIA. I loved tracking the locations in Jordan - yes, they are all right there on Google maps - and the descriptions of the places, as well as the adventures and misadventures of P and F. Due to the nature of this journey, the plot is more dispersed, but nonetheless it's quite satisfying in the end. A young boy is again instrumental in bringing things right.

"They were silent,
Karen
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great read in the Mrs. Pollifax series. Mrs. Pollifax is off on another simple trip with an old friend to retrieve a manuscript of of John's (the old friend) friend who had recently died. She is thrilled to head off to the Middle East, but as always, danger and possibly death await her in the desert.

It seems to be a bit of a stretch that a grandmother who belongs to a garden club would ever get in predicaments like Mrs. Pollifax does. That is part of the charm of these stories. Having
Becca
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was not overly impressed with the heroin in this book. She is supposed to be unobtrusive and suprisingly good at capturing bad guys, but I felt like her contributions to the capture of the said criminals was pretty lame. It might be a good series to look at if you are in the mood for something lite, perhaps the earlier books are better.
Alisa
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mrs. Pollifax remains her optimistic, unflappable self in this book. She is off on another adventure with John Sebastian Farrell where she encounters camels, sheiks, Bedouin hospitality and the sharp end of a dagger.

I am rationing the last few books in this series because I so hate to complete my time with Emily Pollifax.
Meredith
I liked the adventure, but I believe it's this one that has an interview afterward. I always enjoy author interviews, although knowing that it's Alzheimer's that eventually causes Gilman to stop writing, there are hints in the wandering of her answers and forgetting where the question started. I look forward to the day we can stop this disease.
Linda
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Child960801
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
I love this series. They are so much fun. In this story, Mrs. Pollifax sets off with Farrell to Jordan, not on a mission from Carstairs, but to try and complete a death wish for a friend. Mischief ensues. I’m excited to read the next one.

Margaret
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I stumbled upon this at the library while browsing. I had read many of the earlier books in this series when I was in high school and loved them. This one was ok, but it's a bit dated, as quite a bit has changed since the 1990s technology-wise, and the story suffers as a result of that.
Maan
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Category: Elderly character
Setting: Jordan

Cozy read. I liked reading about a retired woman's adventures as a spy, going to Petra, learning Arabic, and eating stuffed grape leaves.
I think I'll meet my 80 country goal if I follow all of her adventures.
tonia peckover
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Was hoping to find a new (to me) mystery series. Meh. The safest of cozy mysteries, about as benign as they come. The writing is a step up from the usual cozy, I guess, but not what I'd hoped for.
Margot
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book... It was much less intense then the first book in the series and one gets an interesting sense of the Bedu or Bedouin. Mrs. Pollifax just keeps getting into trouble in places with a limited ability to deal with dilemmas.
Barb
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Very atmospheric! Mrs. Pollifax is an interesting character. As this book is well on in the series I want to start at the beginning to find out her background and find out why she is chosen for such an intriguing mission.
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Mrs. Pollifax and Farrell to the Middle East to engage in sleuthing and coincidences. Kind of some fun throwbacks to the earlier books. The major coincidence was a lot even for good old Mrs. P.
Kathy
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
That Mrs. Polifax, always getting into something. Love this series.
Joanne
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy-read
Always a delightful read, next best sleuth writer after Agatha Christie.
Susan Willis
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
She is not on an assignment or in an exotic country, but trouble finds her anyway. A great read!
Sharron
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable but still entertaining.
Shirley
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed especially the girl and her cowboy boots. Characters entertaining. Crazy hijinks ensue with these spunky characters. Really fun ride
Jan
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Another great book to listen to.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)
  • Superfluous Women (Daisy Dalrymple, #22)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • The Corpse at the Crystal Palace (Daisy Dalrymple, #23)
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • Love And Death
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple, #19)
  • Sheer Folly (Daisy Dalrymple, #18)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • Mrs Pargeter's Public Relations (Mrs Pargeter #8)
  • A Hopeful Heart (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #1)
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • Indigo Dying (China Bayles, #11)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • Words on Fire
  • We Are Not Alone
Dorothy Gilman was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey, to minister James Bruce and Essa (Starkweather) Gilman. She started writing when she was 9 and knew early on she was to be a writer. At 11, she competed against 10 to 16-year-olds in a story contest and won first place. She attended Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and briefly the University of Pennsylvania. She planned to write and illustrate ...more

Mrs. Pollifax (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #1)
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #2)
  • The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #3)
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station (Mrs. Pollifax, #6)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (Mrs. Pollifax, #7)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle (Mrs. Pollifax, #8)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Whirling Dervish (Mrs. Pollifax, #9)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief (Mrs. Pollifax, #10)