Start by marking “The Eclogues and The Georgics” as Want to Read:
The Eclogues and The Georgics

The Eclogues and The Georgics

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  291 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Translated by C. Day Lewis, with an introduction, historical sketch and notes by R.O.A.M. Lyne.
Paperback, Oxford World's Classics, 180 pages
Published September 2nd 1999 by Oxford University Press (first published -38)

To ask other readers questions about The Eclogues and The Georgics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eclogues and The Georgics

Daniel Chaikin
I did actually read this in the sense that my brain processed the words coming into through my eyes and getting silently pronounced in my head. Please don't ask me anything else about them. I have hardly any clue what I actually read.

------------------------------------------

70. The Eclogues by Virgil
composed: 37 bce
format: ~46 page project Gutenberg public domain translation (translator unknown)
acquired: Project Gutenberg, here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/230/2...
read: Nov 26-27
rating: ?
Shyam
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Eclogues, particularly: I, II, III & VII.

The Georgics were not to my taste, although I suspect this may partly be due to the translation.
Chris
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
I love used book sales. If you’ve ever gone ‘garage sale-ing’, then you’re probably familiar with the types of pushy scavengers that you might meet at a used book sale. You’d almost think Dickens had these bibliophiles in mind for his caricature of Scrooge in the opening chapter of A Christmas Carol: “…a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint, …secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.” Solitary, that is, until they catch th ...more
Michael de Percy
This book of pastoral poems is a classic, and therefore difficult to dismiss off-handedly. What I found interesting were other reviews on Goodreads. One stated: "I have hardly any clue what I actually read". Virgil reads like Shakespeare, although the work is translated from Latin, so I share the sentiments of the other reviewer! It took me some time to read the poems, as I had to research the various characters and Greek and Roman gods to make sense of it. Even then, the background story of the ...more
David Bisset
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agriculture and husbandry

Yes, the above, and nature, and politics, and mythology - and glorious pastoral verse. The Georgics had, for me, too much practical farming, but both works are imbued with Virgil's poetic genius in a translation which respects his hexameters.
David
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Virgil's Eclogues and Georgics precede his more well-known work The Aeneid and far surpass it it quality. The ten pastoral poems and the four books of agricultural prose that constitute this work show the poet in his true element and are what gained him the initial popularity. Stephen Harris seems to indicate the Eclogues and Georgics were well-received by the Romans of the day who may have been nostalgic for the agrarian lifestyle romanticized in these works of poetry. This initial popularity l ...more
Evan Leach
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Eclogues and Georgics are the other two major works of Virgil, more famous for his Aeneid. The Eclogues, a collection of ten poems, were written around 38 b.c. Virgil modeled this collection off of the Greek Bucolic tradition, as exemplified by Theocritus.

Bucolic poetry, which generally involves shepherds frolicking around the pastoral countryside and singing to each other, is really (really) not my genre of choice. Eclogues II, IV, and X were the strongest of the bunch, in my opinion. Eclo
Brett
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, translation
This book of pastoral poems from Virgil is very interested in agricultural methods. As I read the first half of it, I was bored out of my skull, spurred on only by the knowledge that the book was very short and that I could finish it quickly and move on to something else.

In the second half, something happened. I was sitting with my newborn son, just weeks old. For whatever reason, I decided to start reading the poem out loud to him. The act of reading the language did something to change it for
Martin
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just for those who have never seen a Loeb-it has the original Latin (or Greek) on one side with the translation on the following page. The Loeb series are known for their excellent translations and are vital to any researcher or historian who wants to return to the orginal for their primary source. Virgil's Georgics alone make this book a necessity (the Georgics used to be standard reading before and after the revolution in universities) and the Aeneid provides an excellent balance to the Ecloug ...more
Penny
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this for a long time since Virgil is referred to so regularly in literary analyses ... but it wasn't as I had expected. These verses deal mainly with shepherding, sheep, ewes, lambs, goat herding, goats, but also bulls, heifers, lions, udders, and adders, wool and equipment such as harrows and yokes ... the seas, mariners,and the earth, the ploughman, the fields, the trees, the flowers, vines, spices,and of "Heroes with gods commingling" and their deeds, Fates and Destiny. There ...more
Andrada
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I decided to take a break from Mishima and relax with a bit of pastoral poetry. The Eclogues were quite beautiful in their evocation of a idealized country life while the Georgics were at times tedious due to their agricultural theme. I found Hesiod's Works and Days that had the same topic much more entertaining due to Hesiod's entreaties to his good for nothing brother which made it humorous at times while the Georgics interspersed agricultural advice with allegory and mythological ruminations ...more
Ryan
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
Virgil is interesting, to say the least. His apparent obsession with hard work and the country probably arose from his move from the countryside to Rome during Octavian's rise to power. I don't often enjoy poetry, but this time it was tolerable, so I gave it three stars. His reference to a boy savior born of a virgin is mysterious, but most likely refers to Octavian rather than Christ, as Augustine thought. Overall, it's a good read and insightful.
Sean Garrett
May 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
The Eclogues and Georgics are poems which concern the rising of a new age; while these have constantly been interpreted as Jesus Christ, it is more telling of a Roman Golden Age. The prose demonstrates why Virgil was considered a Wizard, weaving delicately from line to line. Subtle changes in pace and rhythm reflect the reader's eyes grazing the page, sometimes furiously consuming the text, sometimes slowly digesting the work. A must read.
D.A.
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slavitt sometimes plays a little fast and loose with Virgil, but his resulting poems are re-inventions that make the work very immediate, as it would have been for Virgil's audience. Best to read his translations alongside the Loeb translations.
Noah
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Right off the bat, I'll say that I am not the biggest fan of poetry, but these were short and simple. They give insight into pastoral life during the early Roman empire. I found them interesting more for the content than the rhyme or verse itself, but overall, I enjoyed them.
Giulia
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I read this after studying an excerpt from the Eclogues at university, but I read it for my mere pleasure and leisure. I'll have to say that I didn't expect much from it but it turns out that Virgil's beautiful language (even translated) has a strong impact on the reader, or at least on me.
Miriam
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: a classicist who preferred Greek
Shelves: poetry
This wasn't the edition I read; mine was in Latin. I had to translate the Eclogues into English for a course. Maybe they would have been better had the class not met at 8 a.m.
Sean Higgins
Pagan pastoral poetry. If only I was as educated as a first century Roman shepherd, I might have understood (and liked it) more.
Gregoire
"l'âge emporte tout même la mémoire Souvent, il m'en souvient, lorsque j'étais enfant, je passais de longues journées à chanter : maintenant j'ai oublié tous ces vers" ... (in Méris)
Hayley Robinson
I enjoyed this book as accomplishing the discovery of Virgil's views and its beautiful language.
Idiolalia
The "Eclogues" and "Georgics" (Oxford World's Classics) by Virgil (1999)
Snufkin
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pastoral poetry at its very best!
Rivka D.
Fun and bucolic.
Idiolalia
Eclogues and Georgics (Thrift Edition) by Virgil (2005)
Markus
Beautiful reading and a reference in literature.
Patrick
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I can't say I'm particularly interested in the accumulated wisdom of Roman farmers, but Day-Lewis' translation of Virgil vividly evokes the sounds and patterns of rural life.
Jesse Whyte
Not my favorite translation. Notes are decent, though.
Dandelion
Apr 18, 2013
Dondon
rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2013
  • The Sixteen Satires
  • The Comedies
  • The Letters of the Younger Pliny
  • Introduction to Aristotle
  • Elmo Says Achoo! (Sesame Street)
  • If You Find a Rock
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • The Satyricon
  • Leucippe and Clitophon
  • The Complete Poems
Publius Vergilius Maro (October 15, 70 BCE – September 21, 19 BCE), usually called Virgil or Vergil /ˈvɜrdʒəl/ in English, was an ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period. He is known for three major works of Latin literature, the Eclogues (or Bucolics), the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid. A number of minor poems, collected in the Appendix Vergiliana, are sometimes attributed to him.

Virgil is trad