Start by marking “Unconquered” as Want to Read:
Unconquered

Unconquered

Brilliant, Outspoken, Willful - No One Dared Challenge Stunning Miranda’s Wild Ways... Except Jared Dunham.

Betrothed to this wildcat in a pact that allowed Miranda to remain mistress of her ancestral home off the New England coast, the roguish merchant adventurer turns his wife’s burning rage to searing ecstasy as he fires her most wanton desires.

But time are dangerous
Published February 12th 1984 by Ballantine Books (first published December 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Unconquered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unconquered

Start your review of Unconquered
Sarah Mac
This book...well, it was an experience.

Spoilers.

The first half was boring to the extreme. (Seriously, skip to pg 200. You won't miss a damn thing.) But suddenly the author realized she'd forgotten to include a plot, so she decided to make up for lost time. A rough incidental outline would look something like this:

First half: Miranda & Jared talk. Miranda & Jared get married. Miranda & Jared have sex. <--Snoozeville.

Second half: Adultery, bisexual villains, riding crops, drugging, rape, slave f
Naksed
It pains me to give a low rating to my favorite historical romance writer but hey, I have to keep it real for my fellow readers. If you are already a fan of Bertrice Small, you will find Unconquered hard to swallow. Despite some wonderful writing, her trademark kick ass heroine and her joie de vivre, the book meanders through unnecessary fourth, fifth, and sixth acts, when it should have been wrapped up eons before.

For those readers unfamiliar with Small, this would definitely NOT be the book t
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Hated it. Perhaps it is my hatred of historical romance novels in general. When people make fun of 'bodice ripping' books where his 'purple headed pole' probes at her 'secret love grotto', they are thinking of this book. Yes, it really does say 'secret love grotto'. The plot was preposterous. From the first unlikely marriage to the deus ex machina at the end. Very unsexy sex scenes don't help. As much time is spent describing the clothes someone is putting on (that are of no importance) as the b ...more
Tutti Dolci
2.5 stars. Had a few good moments, but with all of the unnecessary descriptions of unimportant details and the silly twists and turns for the heroine, this story eventually became an eyeroll-worthy mess.

But I did love the hero. So there IS a plus.
Nicole
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nicole by: My mom
Oh. My. God. What did I just read??

I cannot begin to describe the craziness that is this book. For one, the main characters are hardly together for most of it. Between political intrigues and kidnappings, it shouldn't come as a surprise. It was to such a point that I started shipping Miranda (the heroine) with other suitors. (view spoiler)

Adulter
Rebecca Huston
One of Ms. Small's better, earlier romances, before the rot set in. Miranda and Jared's marriage is a forced one, and not at all easy, especially after he turns up missing, and Miranda goes chasing off after him. Naturally, as in nearly all of Ms. Small's works, there is plenty of sex, imprisonment in a harem, kinky sex, and some history for good measure. Those who like their erotica with plenty of the exotic should enjoy this one.

For the complete review, please go here:
Michele bookloverforever
at one time one of my favorite authors. used to escape from my brutal and miserable first marriage Into a world of make believe...
Dianna
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whirlwind of nothing

I swear this story was so terrible. It started out so good and then just horrifying. One thing after another. Endless tragedies. She was a whore by the end. I mean just so stupid. It had so much potential. Ive read tons of historical romance novels. This is the worst ive ever read
Heather
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing as always!

My favorite author of all time. Simply fantastic! Her grasp of combining history with fiction is incredible. The details are always such that you feel like you are there. Three cheers for Bertrice Small!!!
krsteenrod
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful tale

As usual Beatrice Small never disappoints,a lovely book with interesting characters. I enjoyed this book and hope you will too.
Kristen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Standard fare. I loved the food descriptions!
Jimenight
Jan 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just simply YUCK, ho-rri-ble. The only thing I could think every time I turned the pages was WTF?! It´s a book full of adultery, rapes and even incest and pederasty.

Simplemente PUAJ, ho-rri-ble. Lo único que podía pensar a cada vuelta de página era ¡¿WTF?! Se trata de un libro cargado de adulterio, violaciones e incluso incesto y pederastría.

Por el puntaje del libro es evidente que a muchas les gusta pero si bien no soy una persona celosa, sí soy posesiva. Mi pareja es MI pareja y jamás podría
Shannon
It was so amazing, in that at first Miranda didn't love him at all. But then she warmed up to him and when she was taken, Miranda and her husband was doing all they could to get back to one another. It was the AWW factor kicking in. ...more
Chris
Apr 01, 2013 added it
Shelves: nicole
Ned. Titel: de lokroep van haar hart
Tee
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ripper
Crazy days w/ spectacular paragraphs of food served throughout
Teresa
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nanas-books
Really Good! Would like to read it again!! :-)
Greyland Reviews
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
Those first two hundred pages were... XP
But after that I just flew right through it.
Patricia
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Autumn
May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
For a historical romance novel, this was fantastic. I had trouble with the extent of description over things as simple as a meal, but ulimately it was a good read.
Julie
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
loved it
Rosemarie
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started out kind of slow and I was going to give up but continued on and I am glad I did.
Alyson Dugdale
Dawn Roberto
Jan 15, 2008

• Jill's Victory
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • Moonrise (Moonkind, #1)
  • Shadows in Death (In Death, #51)
  • The Best of Us (Sullivan's Crossing, #4)
  • The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, #2)
  • Katherine, When She Smiled
  • A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Lord Heartless
  • The Gallant Guardian
  • The Family Gathering (Sullivan's Crossing, #3)
  • The Gentleman Physician (Branches of Love #2)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Courting the Vicar's Daughter  (Branches of Love, #6)
  • Penny's Yuletide Wish  (Branches of Love #7)
  • Alien Husband (Alien Bride, #1)
  • Waking Up Married (My Favorite Band #3)
  • Aunt Sophie's Diamonds
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She liv ...more