Start by marking “Be Buried in the Rain” as Want to Read:
Be Buried in the Rain

Be Buried in the Rain

The Past Holds Terrors... There are secrets buried at Maidenwood--dark secrets that span generations. Medical student Julie Newcomb, who once spent four miserable childhood years at this rundown Virginia plantation, would rather not resurrect ancient memories, or face her own fears.

That Can't Be Forgotten

Yet Julie cannot refuse her relatives' plea that she spend her summer
Published December 9th 1998 by HarperTorch (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Be Buried in the Rain, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Donna I think Matt did it but it is a little confusing. At the end, Martha said she burned Melissa's clothes every year. I wonder why she didn't burn the on…moreI think Matt did it but it is a little confusing. At the end, Martha said she burned Melissa's clothes every year. I wonder why she didn't burn the ones they were found in. (less)

Start your review of Be Buried in the Rain
Allison
I really enjoyed this Gothic suspense novel. I was afraid it might be cheesy, especially since it was published in the 1980s, but it wasn't. I also didn't know what I would think of a Gothic novel set in contemporary Virginia, but the old manor house, its occupants, and the surrounding woods were broken down, overgrown, and eerie enough for a mystery of old bones.

The atmosphere was all you could wish for in this kind of book. It reminded me of Susanna Kearsley without the dual time periods, exc
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Barbara Michaels is unparalleled in the Gothic suspense genre in the early 70's and 80's. It is a joy to read these thrillers that were published earlier. We have the best of the segment now with thrillers becoming more tauter and untangling the spider-web becoming more and more intricate and complex. So reading this work of Barbara Michaels may prove tiresome for many as there's not much brain electrocuting happening here. The suspense is not very intense, and the whole action of the story take ...more
Linda
2.5 Stars

Back roads. Spanish moss dripping from old oak trees. And guilty secrets. Be Buried in the Rain mentioned food once too often and was top heavy with excessive family drama.

I may have appreciated the story more if I read it years ago. Instead, I can't say I liked anyone but Elvis. The dog.
Julie
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Anyone who knows me, will tell you I LOVE these 60's and 70's Gothic Romance/Mystery novels. Barbara Michaels in incomparable. However, this one, which was copyrighted in 1985, wasn't one of her best. The last 100 pages or so were where the action was. This story was set in Virginia, which gave this novel the feeling of Southern Gothic. Set in the requisite old mansion, Julie is manipulated into spending the summer with her 85 year old grandmother, who is recovering from a massive stroke. The Gr ...more
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Good Gothic fun set in 1985 Virginia. Family secrets and unearthed skeletons. Feisty heroine and a dog named Elvis. I used to read these back in high school and wanted to revisit Michaels for the RIP Challenge. A fun Autumn read!
Kasia
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining read from Michaels that reminded me of the V.C Andrews tales I used to gobble up as a teen. You know, the big mansion occupied by an evil grandmother trying to bring misery to the young maiden shuddering under strict tortures. This time its young medical student named Julie Newcomb who caves in under family pressure to spend a summer with the mean old grandmother Martha, who is paralyzed after a heart attack in a huge mansion overlooking the Virginia plantation, she reluctan ...more
Kelly
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2011
After having read Here I Stay a couple of years ago(the first and only other book I've read by Michaels), I didn't expect much more than a similarly light little read with this one; but it was so much better. There was a lot more going on here... the story was more detailed and more interesting, as were the characters.

The book starts out on a very creepy note within the first 3-4 pages (I won't tell you what it is!). Then we switch to Julie, who is winding up her first year of med school when s
Karen
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Barbara Michaels. Will have to find it in storage and read again.
Kelly
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have only now discovered Barbara Michaels through the booklike group I belong to. I am really enjoying her books, even if they are a wee bit dated.
Anita
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

This was a very enjoyable Gothic Romance, and I found I liked this one more than the first Barbara Michaels book I read, Ammie, Come Home (link to my review).  Considering the fact that Be Buried in the Rain was written almost two decades after Ammie, Come Home, some of the actions and instances were a bit more easy to relate to for me.  On top of that, I liked the inclusion of archaeological elements at play in the somewhat mystery behind this book's story line.  I had b
Genevieve
Apr 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Written well, reads fast but not the kind of fast-pace thriller that I like. Seemed like she was trying too hard. Left a bunch of loose ends, forced ending. Disappointed me.
Edwina Callan
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2016, audio
Suspense, romance, a crumbling mansion, an evil Grandmother and ... a dog named Elvis.
My idea of a good time!
Lynette
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
This wasn't all that spooky. In fact, there was little reason to care about the skeleton. Nothing else really happened except the dig, which was super interesting, but went nowhere. The end was meh. Too much left unanswered.

And I will never explain why books written under pen names say "So-and-So Writing as So-and-So." What's the point???
Matthew Galloway
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
This is exactly what I want when I experience a Barbara Michaels story -- a wry, real feeling main character, a bit of mystery, a bit of history/archaeology, a touch of the supernatural. I'm not sure there's much more to say beyond that. It's a complete pleasure, particularly as an audiobook with Barbara Rosenblat narrating.
Kathy Jackson
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I started this book I did not expect to get so caught up in it that I needed to get it finished right away. I thought it would be a nice leisurely read over several days. I was wrong...again. Seems like I have to admit that a lot.

It is a sad tale of family violence all with the aim of keeping ones name in the right genteel circles and free of blemish. The plantation of Maidenwood sounded so beautiful - I would have restored it had I inherited such a lovely old Victorian. However it was fall
SuperWendy
I read a lot of Michaels' as a teen and thought it would be fun to revisit some of her books on audio. I started with this one because I remembered liking it back then, and I still liked it 30 years later. There's a lot of character development here and a lot of setting the stage, so it's a slower paced book. But the way the author unfolds it all, and slow-builds the tension is really excellent. Also, I read Michaels' as a teen because I liked the creepy Gothic suspenseful storylines. The romanc ...more
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I'm always a fan of Barbara Michaels. This one with the creepy old house and aging grandmother who she hates was just the gothic story that i needed. i also love how she adopted the limping dog and had the vet take pity on her cause she didn't know how to care for him. The romance was a bit rushed. They hated each other and then all of a sudden the pastw as forgotten and they were back together without any sort of talk seemed a bit unrealistic and predictable at the same time. But I dod love Bar ...more
Michael
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, romance, gothic
For the genre, this was pretty good reading.  A lightweight distraction from everyday life.

It seems I can't get through a single Barbara Michaels book without being irritated by something-- this time it was mostly some characters cast from the "stereotypically ignorant, backward, religious Southerner" mold (or maybe more the protagonist's tiresome stereotyping of so many fellow characters)-- but perhaps a little irritation isn't such a bad thing in a book.  It keeps me on my toes.  Besides, if I
Marybeth
The premise of this story was interesting and enjoyable. Historical buried "treasure" and family secrets usually make for an explosive story. The characters were rather a mixed bag, though. I liked the way Julie matured and finally came into her own over the course of the book, but other characters were too one-dimensional. How much I disliked Alan surprised me. Usually I like this author's male characters but Alan was extremely unlikable until almost the very end, and then suddenly we're suppos ...more
Jane
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This rates so high not because of the story (which is very good) but because it properly introduced me to Edna St Vincent Millay. I often planned to send Barbara Michaels a letter - not a traditional fan letter. After all, Michaels was a writer, it was her job and she did it very very well. I bought her books, recommended them, extolled them. That was the end of it! What the letter would have contained was thanks for that introduction, to the woman who penned the brutally honest and moving Dirge ...more
Sep
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An early Barbara Michaels that fits into one of three categories of her writing: books that look like they might have magic but don't, books that don't look like magic but do, and books where you're not quite sure.

Julie comes home to her grandmother's decrepit plantation to take care of her as the old woman has had a stroke. Julie was left for four miserable years with this abusive waste of skin, so she knew the summer would be a challenge. This is a book about breaking free from a terrible pas
Donna
I enjoyed this story. It was a lot better than Black Rainbow. I liked that the poetry mentioned in the book was real. I looked up the author and I plan to read some of her other poems. There was one detail that I figured out early but not too early to make the book enjoyable. I just wish the ending could have been better.
Beth
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I found the book kind of corny.

I think the characters’ personalities were exaggerated. One person was very demanding and the author made a point of it frequently.

I didn’t like the way Julie’s ex-boyfriend spoke to her. Nor did I like their interactions in general.

I don’t feel that reading it was a complete waste of time but I would’ve preferred something else.
Susan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eerie mystery

I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed Barbara Michaels stories. This one, like many others, has just that touch of the supernatural that makes the hairs on the back of your neck rise. This was a reread for me. I was so impressed that I used the quote Julie used at the funeral at my own mother’s funeral.
Sharon
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This story is almost like an old gothic novel. Julie is the heroine putting up with a sickly grandmother what had secrets to keep. Her overbearing, mean and sadistic personality was displayed to Julie over and over. But justice was served!
Caroline Hayes
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first Barbara Michaels book. Not bad! I’ve read all of her Amelia Peabody Mysteries (As Elizabeth Peters, another one of her pen names), but this is the first non-series I read, and it was good! I highly recommend it.
Amoret
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! I found this book for 50 cents at my local library and I did not think it was going to be this good. The ending was gorgeous. Barbara Michaels you are now my new favourite book writer.
Virginia Kessen
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was probably the third time I've read this - I love Michaels/Peters writing style and her strong women in a genre that too often has women waiting for their prince to come. This isn't her strongest book by a long shot but even so, it's a great read.
Shilo
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Damn, this book really gave me the creeps.
Sheila
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ah, how the genes pass down through generations! Even madness can be explained...but that doesn't stop the truth being told...
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Borrower of the Night (Vicky Bliss, #1)
  • The Love Talker
  • Legend in Green Velvet
  • Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss, #3)
  • Trojan Gold (Vicky Bliss, #4)
  • Street of the Five Moons (Vicky Bliss, #2)
  • The Seventh Sinner (Jacqueline Kirby, #1)
  • The Murders of Richard III (Jacqueline Kirby, #2)
  • The Camelot Caper  (Vicky Bliss, #0.5)
  • Murder by Matchlight (Robert MacDonald, #25)
  • Die for Love (Jacqueline Kirby, #3)
  • The Ape Who Guards the Balance (Amelia Peabody, #10)
  • Murder in Vienna
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
  • The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books
  • Seeing a Large Cat (Amelia Peabody, #9)
  • He Shall Thunder in the Sky (Amelia Peabody, #12)
  • North of the Tension Line
Barbara Michaels was a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.