Start by marking “The End of the Hunt” as Want to Read:
The End of the Hunt

The End of the Hunt

(The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #3)

Volume 3 of Thomas Flanagan’s Irish History Trilogy

This third volume of Thomas Flanagan’s best-selling Irish-history trilogy (which begins with The Year of the French and continues with The Tenants of Time) brings to epic life the events of the Irish War of Independence. Flanagan’s gaze is both world historical and intimate as he tells the story of Janice Nugent, a recent
Published April 1st 1994 by Dutton Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The End of the Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the Hunt

Dennis Weeks
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine book that was a challenging read, partly because I had to check a history of Ireland and some web sites on the names of World war I era arms and vehicles for some background that the author assumes we know. That said, I am grateful to Thomas Flanagan for the vivid portrayal of the attitudes that propelled the Irish War of Independence and the Civil War.

Some folks have commented that Michael Collins is the central character in The End of the Hunt, but I have to disagree. Collins an
Richard Wise
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I've read both Year of The French and The Tenants of Time, books that tell the story of historical attempts by the Irish to wrest their small island from the tentacles of the British Empire. The End of The Hunt tells the final chapter, the successful uprising led by Michael Collins in the 1920s.

For those who have seen the film, Michael Collins, which was partially based on material from this excellent book, the territory will seem somewhat familiar.

Flanagan tells the story throug
Elisabeth
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought I'd never finish this book; it is very densely written and nearly every sentence is packed with information. It was well worth it.
The history of the English in Ireland is brutal and tragic. This novel takes place in the aftermath of the Easter Rebellion in Dublin 1916.It is largely about the signing of the treaty with the English in 1921 and the ensuing civil war between the freedom fighters wanting the free Irish Republic. One side, Sinn Fein, tries the political and diplomatic rout
Brendan
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'd been waiting to read this book for years, and when I started, it's massive size argued against taking it overseas, so the reading process spanned a couple more years. The story of Ireland from the formation of IRA to the end of the civil war, as seen through the eyes of field officers sleeping in hedges waiting, historians in restaurants, and the aides around Michael Collins plotting assassinations and peace negotiations in hidden pubs. A beautiful scary book, but, given Flanagan's writing s ...more
Bill
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in Flanagan's masterful trilogy on the Irish rebellion against British rule. Flanagan was a gifted writer, in my opinion, but his prose is seldom easy, and he is not a quick read. This was my favorite of the three books, although I read the first two so long ago that it's difficult to be sure. This was perhaps one of the saddest books that I've read in a long time. The personal tragedies of the characters are interwoven with the historical tragedy of Ireland's quest for in ...more
Virginia
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd in the series --- very helpful in understanding the civil war , etc. I liked it because the 'fictional friends' were also included, and made it easier to understand.
Rosalie Riegle
What makes recent violence worse than that of years ago? I squirmed that those I rooted for were assassins. This was the first of the Flanagan trilogy with well developed women characters and I found myself wanting to hear even more from them. All three books were wonderful for giving me even more feeling for what I think of as my second country.
Geoffrey
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flanagan's three books of fictionalized modern Irish revolution are excellent. This is the weakest of the three - a little slack and loose-lipped, as if he were dictating it over a Guinness and no one felt like editing. Still a great read, though.
Mary L.
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maybe it was because we were staying outside of Dublim for a month one summer, but all the history of the Troubles of 1919 came to life in this very readable novel. I recommend it highly if you wish to come to grips with Ireland's struggle for independence.
Edie Folta
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Flanagan's trilogy of Irish historical novels winds to its relentless close with the Free State established in the 1920's after the bloody civil war, and the stage set for the Troubles through the rest of the century. A vivid portraint of Michael Collins.
John
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of three magnificent novels that clarify Irish history
during 3 watershed eras. This final book tells how the Irish finally
wrested limited Home Rule from the British and the parts played be
Michael Collins, Winston Churchill and a score of other participants.
Kelli Santistevan
Jan 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it that much.
Mardelle
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine book by Flanagan on the history of Ireland with his fictional characters woven into the story.
Klaudia
Jan 20, 2014
Phillip
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
NYRB Classics: The End of the Hunt, by Thomas Flanagan 5 23 Apr 11, 2016 11:19AM
  • Bobby Sands: Writings from Prison
  • The Price of my Soul
  • 1972: A Novel of Ireland's Unfinished Revolution (Irish Century)
  • Eamon de Valera: The Man Who Was Ireland
  • Land of Marvels
  • Spy Master - Mystery Guild Omnibus: Call for the Dead, A Murder of Quality, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
  • A Pint of Plain: How the Irish Pub Lost Its Magic but Conquered the World
  • Our Bones Are Scattered: The Cawnpore Massacres and The Indian Mutiny Of 1857
  • Oh What a Lovely War
  • The Plantagenet Chronicles
  • Rebel Hearts: Journeys Within the IRA's Soul
  • Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show (A Novel of Ireland, #1)
  • The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845-1849
  • The Silent People
  • Redemption
  • The Great Shame: And the Triumph of the Irish in the English-Speaking World
  • Rory & Ita
  • The Leavetaking
Thomas Flanagan (November 5, 1923 – March 21, 2002) was an American professor of English literature who specialized in Irish literature. He was also a successful novelist. Flanagan, who was born in Greenwich, Connecticut, graduated from Amherst College in 1945. He was a tenured full - Professor in the English Department at the University of California, Berkeley until his retirement. Flanagan died ...more

The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Year of the French
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)