Start by marking “Shakespeare vs. Lovecraft: A Horror Comedy Mash-Up featuring Shakespeare's Characters and Lovecraft's Creatures” as Want to Read:

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
“We are such stuff as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep.”

William Shakespeare

“In his house at R’lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.”

Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

In the same putrid vein as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Shakespeare v. Lovecraft slithers hideously onto the literary mash-up scene, whispering of cosmic horrors and eldritch tales whi
Published August 29th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare vs. Lovecraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare vs. Lovecraft

Jillyn
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Shakespeare v Lovecraft is a novella that follows the classical Shakespearean character Prospero (The Tempest) as he makes a seedy deal with the one and only Cthulhu. Prospero's daughter Miranda, as well as other heroes from Shakespeare plays such as Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and Macbeth must make things right in the universe once more, and try their damnedest to save the day.

---

I have no shame in saying that I have nerdy interests. I could sit
Marishka Valentine
I’ve been very skeptical and wary of mash-up books since reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which I didn’t enjoy very much. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised by Shakespeare v Lovecraft which drew me in not just because of my love for Lovecraft, but also that cover! I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but just look at it! Who wouldn’t just pick this book up and say, “Yup, I think so!”

Moving on. It was definitely a different story than what I was really expect
Caitlin
This review and others on my blog.

It sounded silly and fun, and I wanted to read something silly and fun.

Review copy provided for free through Netgalley.

It works as well as any of these literary mashups do, I suppose. Don’t go in expecting literary brilliance and you’ll have a good time. I certainly did.

I’m not sure there’s much point critiquing this in terms of the writing. It’s not what it’s going to be read for after all, though the writing itself is pretty good. A bit over the top at times,
Erleen Alvarez
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
You can read more reviews at Books For YA!

From the very first time I saw the cover of Shakespeare vs Lovecraft, I was immediately intrigue by the book. The quirkiness of the cover was so eye catching and after I read the synopsis I thought, Shakespeare's character meets Lovecraft's monsters? Hmmm, that sounds interesting. Fortunately, Mr. O'brien gave me the opportunity to read his book. And boy, it was a riot!

This is the first time I read a mash-up and I totally loved it! I'm a bit of a fan of
Mounika Lakkakula
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: give-aways
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.Iam really very happy with this.Thank u good reads.
The book's really awesome.The cover of the book itself forces us to read the novel.Such a wonderful cover it is.I really loved reading this book.The blend of shakespeare and lovecroft's novels is well set and it really is great.Ctulhu is major plus point for this book.This novel has both the elements i love like horror and comedy..The book is very easy to read,interesting and very much enjoyabl
Majanka
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/mini-rev...

Great premise, to combine Lovecraft’s characters and Shakespeare characters. Unfortunately the plot falls short. The first chapter is riddled with adjectives that have little purpose being there. Characters lacked depth and personality, and I didn’t much care for them. A ‘meh’ read.
Ευαγγελία
I must admit i'm not a fun of Lovrcraft. There were scenes in this book that shocked me... but i find it very interesting. It is written exactly like Shakespeare's work but it describes bloody scenes with so many details... i'm sure both funs of Shakespear and Lovecraft are going to love it!
Jeanna Olson
Jun 10, 2012 is currently reading it
Shelves: sampling
Sounds promising and it's a good day, a crazy hot and overcast Sunday, to dig into this Amazon sample. I love Amazon samples.
Toni
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Is there anyone who hasn’t at one time or another used one of William Shakespeare’s many well-known quotes to fit some situation he finds himself in?

DR O’Brien’s novel, which he graciously shares co-authorship with the Bard of Avon and the Bard of Providence, goes two steps further, weaving a tale with creatures and characters created by these two using dialogue from both. Sometimes it’s paraphrased a bit to fit the situation but all in all, it suits well, and one can only think of the time and
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I received an e-copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

2.5 stars. I liked some parts better than others.

Overall, this book was a quick and nice read that made me smile, although I can't say it made me actually laugh.

I appreciated the numerous winks to and quotes to Shakespeare, of course. The latter may be both a strength and a weakness: just knowing a couple of lines from the Bard isn't enough to get them, since they cross-reference several plays (The Tempest fi
Jeff Raymond
Thanks to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, there has been no dearth of mashup novelizations as of late. While transferring characters from one universe to another has gone on for ages, as has retellings of classic tales, it's only when Quirk started its little cottage industry did things really start to ramp up.

As for me, some of them I really love, and some I don't. Two of my favorite things in the world are William Shakespeare and HP Lovecraft, so when I saw that there was a mashup novella tha
Squirrel
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
(It should be noted that I received a free copy through a Goodreads giveaway.)

2.5ish stars

The two things that first drew me to the book were (1) the cover, which reminded me of a Diablo character creation screen and (2) the combination of Shakespeare and Lovecraft. I love Shakespeare, I love Lovecraft, and I love horror-comedy as a genre, so this seemed like it would be a fun read. (Plus I was immensely curious as to how Shakespeare and Lovecraft can be mixed.)

The Good:

- It is indeed a lot of fu
Julie Dawson
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Like so many Saturday Night Live skits that were turned into movies, Shakespeare v Lovecraft demonstrates that a concept that can be funny and insightful in small doses often becomes cumbersome and overblown when you try to take it onto a larger stage. This horror comedy mash up combines Shakespeare’s The Tempest (with cameos and guest appearances from the characters of Henry VIII, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and others) with the mind-destroying machinations of Lovecraft’s Great Old Ones (of whic ...more
Adeselna
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
Although it pains me greatly to give only 1-star, I feel that the author had such greatness in his hands that he just blew it all! I mean you think Shakespeare an Lovecraft and you are like: oh yeah, baby! And then both wold collide and your enthusiasms goes down all the hill! I studied Shakespeare, I read Lovecraft: I enjoyed both, yeah sure I prefer Poe to Lovecraft, but that does not mean I do not enjoy him. However, this mixture is odd, some sentences have too much purple prose and in the en ...more
Kitty Honeycutt
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Title: Shakespeare Vs. Lovecraft
Author(s): William Shakespeare, H.P. Lovecraft & D.R. O'Brien
Publisher: Obiedan Publications
Ages: 17+
Rating: 5

Review: I have long been a Shakespeare & Lovecraft fan and this book has made my dream come true! D.R. O'Brien has a supreme talent that cannot be denied. Over the years I have heard so many people say they have a hard time reading either of these authors because they can't understand the way they write. In this book that's not a problem. D.R. O'Br
Melissa
I got a copy of this ebook to review from NetGalley, I was interested in reading it because I really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and Jane Slayer, and Little Women and Werewolves.

I found the beginning a bit slow to get into, but once I got to the part of the story with Richard III and then Romeo, I began to really enjoy the story. I liked the use of the Shakespeare quotes, even if they weren't said by the correct character, they were used to fit the story well. I think that this wou
Amanda
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Shakespeare vs. Lovecraft was a fun read, but it was rather flawed. The battle scenes were excellent, but there wasn’t enough plot or character development for a true novel.

I found the numerous quotations from Shakespeare distracting; every time I came across one, I couldn’t help but think, “that character’s not in that play,” “a different character is supposed to say that,” and sometimes, “that line doesn’t mean that.”

Despite its flaws, Shakespeare vs. Lovecraft was enjoyable, just not somethi
Pedro
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This was another wow book, for the novelty, not so much for the "interest" in the end.
The writing is a bit confusing, as you are pushed into the story, not knowing a whole lot. The characters and their interactions are very fun to read, as is the story as a whole. However, it just didn't click for me as a great book. It's a great idea, nonetheless and the author has to be praised for it. Recommend it if you like to explore the funny side of dark themes.
April
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Beautiful storytelling that kept me on the edge of my seat!

Great cover art!!
Gianfranco Mancini
Shakespeare si starà rivoltando nella tomba.. ma Lovecraft starà sogghignando!
Divertente pastiche tra le opere Shakespiriane ed i Miti di Chthulhu.
Richard III Re-Animator e Romeo mi hanno fatto venire le lacrime agli occhi dal ridere.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received as a review copy of NetGalley.
This book amused me so much. Those that know me, know I am a drama geek from way back and LOVE Shakespeare. This book was so cute in the most awesome of ways.
If you like mash up books give them one a try.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
**I received a free copy from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review**

I am sorry to say I could not get into this book. I found it hard to understand the style of writing. I was not able to finish the book. This one was just not for me.

Sam
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Being neither a Shakespeare fan and not knowing anything about Lovecraft characters I didn't know what I was getting myself into. That being said this book was well written and fast paced. Have to say still not a Shakespeare fan but you should give this book a try.
The Old
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read Lovecraft at all although know a little Shakespeare from attending theater with my other!

Lots of fun set pieces and great dialogue... great fun.
Mr.
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Loved this book, this is the 1st one of these types of books that I have read.
I am a big fan of Shakespeare, and I have heard of Lovecraft.
An interesting concoction of meshed up stories.
Paddy O'callaghan
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Tip top Tastic. Lets have loads more books lie this. Sequels, prequels you name it. Thats Mr O'Brien.
Joshua Yang
Jun 30, 2013
Stephen
Jan 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Elements of the Undead Omnibus (Elements of The Undead #1-3)
  • Strange Tales From The Scriptorian Vaults