Start by marking “Submarine: A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship (Guided Tour)” as Want to Read:
Submarine: A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship (Guided Tour)

Submarine: A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship (Guided Tour)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  1,607 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The best-selling novelist exposes the inner workings of the nuclear submarine, the core of America's nuclear arsenal, using previously unrevealed diagrams and photographs along with formerly top-secret information. 500,000 first printing. $200,000 ad/promo.
Published November 1st 1993 by Berkley Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Submarine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Submarine

Geordie
A guide to nuclear submarines. This in not my usual cup of tea, but I was pretty happy with it. The descriptions are thorough, writing is clear, and some of the historical examples and hypothetical situations are pretty exciting. There's quite a lot of technical detail, which some might like, but often bogged the book down for me. I think the two biggest problems are; not enough of the historical/hypothetical stories, and so much focus on the machines instead of the crew.
Carter MR Hanson
Before I read this book, I thought that nuclear submarines were a bit dull, they were long, tube-shape ships that didn't have any cool-looking turrets, and that WW2 submarines looked much better. Now, I know that the nuclear submarine is the penultimate warship, it's hard to detect, armed with the world's deadliest weapons, and can travel waters that no other ship can. This book taught me that submarines are our deadliest weapon of war, not missile silos, because a submarine can move anywhere on ...more
Hilmi Isa
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tom-clancy
Buku ini merupakan buku pertama di dalam siri 'A Guided Tour'. Siri buku ini merupakan buku yang dikategorikan di dalam 'bukan fiksyen' (non-fiction). Di dalam buku ini,penulisnya,Tom Clancy,mengajak pembaca untuk menerokai dunia kapal selam,terutamanya kapal selam penyerang berkuasa nuklear (di dalam bahasa Inggeris dikenali sebagai Nuclear Attack Submarine dengan singkatan,SSN). Terdapat dua buah kapal selam yang dijadikan contoh iaitu kapal selam jenis 688I yang diberi nama USS Miami (kelas L ...more
Scott
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
One of my go to books when I need something to distract me. I have read and re read this so many times.

It is a great overview of the technology and people that crew our submarines and the deterrence they provide.
Norbert
Kind of old (2003) but very good
Ivan
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Clancy, l'auteur favori de mes 12-14 ans :) J'avais le rêve de devenir un officier de marine, un rêve qui ne devait jamais être réalisé :)
hrh
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative snapshot of submarine history circa early 1990s. Recommend for submarine, Navy, military, and Tom Clancy buffs.
Eric_W
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the features I liked best about The Hunt for Red October was the detailed description of submarine technology. Now that Tom Clancy is famous and the darling of the military, he gets to tour all the ships and hardware that he wrote about and the military guys all have to suck up to him because he represents just one more method of increasing their public image. Anyway, Clancy published this non-fictional tour, if you will, of a modern nuclear-powered submarine).

Being somewhat enamored o
Janet
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Navy Buffs, Patriots
A companion submarine text to Blind Man’s Bluff and a foundation for Tom Clancy’s Red October? Most certainly that, and more than you ever thought you’d know about nuclear submarine warships. Diagrams, graphics, photographs, and a guided tour within a guided weapon, Tom gives us his insider’s view of life aboard a submarine. Special ops, Navy SEALs, and the British way of doing things are mentioned briefly. With each and every book in my military studies, I become more the women in the painting ...more
John Boettcher
I have been a Tom Clancy fan since I was in the third grade and read The Hunt for Red October, which started off my love of books for life, and have read virtually everything that Clancy has put out. However, this book was a bit dry and dull to get through. It was almost redundant considering all the technical facts and information he puts into his novels anyways. If you have read all his novels, you are going to get most of this information anyways, except the equipment he is talking about is b ...more
Russell Phillips
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book. Clancy describes a Los Angeles class nuclear attack submarine in far more detail than has ever been done before in unclassified media. It's written in a way that makes it very easy to read. Like Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage, it's highly recommended if you have any interest in modern warships, especially submarines.
Lis
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dopo Fortezze dei mari (il migliore) e Stormo da caccia, questo è il terzo saggio di Clancy sulle forze militari americane, e lo trovo il meno riuscito.
Già normalmente Clancy è decisamente filoamericano ma in questo libro diventa persino fastidioso.
Inoltre lo trovo meno accurato e dettagliato degli altri due: meno dati tecnici, meno informazioni su sistemi di bordo, armi e quant'altro.
Richp
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This seems to written for the purpose of recruiting teenage males into joining the US Navy as submariners, and I think it has some major inaccuracies, likely intentional ones. His scenarios at the end ignore the potential reactions to sinking other peoples' ships, and seem to promote escalating small conflicts into bigger ones, with a lot more people killed.
Luiz Fellipe Carneiro
Easy reading with all basic information on the subject on submarines. The author gives more details on USA and UK subs, but also have some superficial information about other countries ships. There are plenty of examples of uses for those vessels and rich historical information about this silent killers.
Sean Chick
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good tour through the world of American submarines, with a particularly good chapter on the British and their training program. Would have liked more on Russia but much is still unknown even today.
Forrest J. Watson
Interesting but too complicated

Interesting but too complicated even for a 1951 submarine qualified sailor. Photos good but drawings poor-too small. Drawings and photos should be full page size.
Craig Tyler
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Everything you wanted to know about Nuclear Submarines circa 1993. Informative, light touch, and a great resource book for future use. Loads of pictures and drawings of submarine profiles for several world powers, not just the United States.
Jess
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything I wanted to know and didn't want to know about submarines. too much tech for me - but super informative. I picked it up from the free library at the hospital while waiting on test results for my grandfather. not something I'd read again or buy - unless you're hardcore into subs.
Mike
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Military buffs.
This is a little outdated now, but when it came out it was a look at cutting edge submarine technology. Still largely relevant due to the discussion of submarine history and tactics, this is a great book for anyone who is interested in how these boats work and what it takes to run them.
Troy
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Clancy did a very good job in writeing this book.very detailed and very easy to understand.gives you a good under standing on how life is on a submarine and what they have to go through.A lot more complacated then beeing on a ship in the navy.My hats off to those on a sub.
Douglas
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
incredible detail
Jacob Cundiff
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Tom Clancy talks about and tours various submarines. About as interesting as you would think it would be.
Eddie
This was a good read. I was very intrigued with the details that Clancy provided.
Cameron Stewart
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite semi-reference military books as a kid.
Patrick Lane
Dec 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Garbage. He doesn't have a clue.
Michael
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive guide to submarines and their uses in war
Michael Plas
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think other books of this series are better, but it's not that bad at all.
Troy
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intimate and in depth look inside submarines and the men who sail on them. Fascinating reading.
Igor Brezovic
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Precise. In-depth. Great. Just like submarines.
Carl
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having been a submariner I can tell when somebody guesses at "the life". As always, Clancy hit right on the head. Excellent.
  • Big Red: Three Months On Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage
  • Submarine!
  • Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine
  • The Tom Clancy Companion (Revised)
  • The Price of Admiralty: The Evolution of Naval Warfare from Trafalgar to Midway
  • Shadow Watch (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #3)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • Battle of Leyte Gulf: 23-26 October 1944
  • The Age of Fighting Sail: The Story of the Naval War of 1812
  • War Beneath The Sea
  • Gameprey (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #11)
  • Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan
  • Cybernation (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #6)
  • Americans at War
  • Silent Running
  • Strike Force (Patrick McLanahan, #13)
  • The Thousand-Mile War: World War II in Alaska and the Aleutians
Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream of writing a novel came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984).

He since wrote more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. Ten of the novels, including The Teeth of
More about Tom Clancy...

Guided Tour (7 books)
  • Armored Cav: A Guided Tour of an Armored Cavalry Regiment (Guided Tour)
  • Fighter Wing: A Guided Tour of an Air Force Combat Wing (Guided Tour)
  • Marine: A Guided Tour of a Marine Expeditionary Unit (Guided Tour)
  • Airborne: A Guided Tour Of An Airborne Task Force
  • Carrier: A Guided Tour of an Aircraft Carrier (Guided Tour)
  • Special Forces: A Guided Tour of U.S. Army Special Forces