Start by marking “The Mystery of Agatha Christie” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of Agatha Christie

The Mystery of Agatha Christie

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In this intriguing biography, Gwen Robyns fully explores the mysterious life of the Queen of Crime--including her infamous ten-day disappearance in December 1926. 32 pages of photos.
Published May 1st 1989 by Penguin Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Agatha Christie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Agatha Christie

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Bought By My Aunt
This Edgar-Award winning biography of Agatha Christie is not the kind you read because it's a great biography written with insight and style that transcends its subject--but because you find the subject written about interesting. (And know of no better on the subject.) This book was picked up at a rummage sale by my aunt. We've long been Agatha Christie fans in my family--my mother loved her stories and I can't remember the first time I read one of her books--I was so young. She wrote 94 books, ...more
Rose
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think what made this book enjoyable was the lady it was written about, despite the writing. Agatha Christe is such a fascinating woman and writer that I felt engaged and would recommend that people read it if they are fans of the Queen of Crime. I felt the ending was a little weak (an entire chapter was spent on her money and will after her death prior to the chapter when she died), but I still am glad I read it and feel very motivated to pick up one of her mysteries the next time I'm at the l ...more
Roberta
I'm kind of up-in-the-air about how many stars to give this book. I mean, it won an Edgar Award and, generally, I've given 2-stars to books worse than this one but it really doesn't deserve 3-stars either. For a short book, it really dragged. It's not that Agatha Christie isn't an interesting subject but the book is just poorly written and the author (and/or editor) made some style choices that I found irritating.

Every time Agatha Christie's second husband was mentioned - EVERY SINGLE TIME - it
Christine
This was a solid biography of Agatha Christie, although I'm sure there are better ones now. This was published in 1978, shortly after Christie's death, and there is probably more information available about her now. But, based on the privacy that Christie cultivated during her life and that her family strove to maintain after her death, Robyns manages to put together a well-researched and relatively complete biography. There are parts of it that don't really hold together that well--some intervi ...more
Elsabet
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, reviewed
I gave this book two stars not because it was poorly written or boring. It simply did not interest me. That is all. Agatha Christie isn't exactly my cup of tea, and while I enjoy the occasional dramatized audiobook, I'm not really a fan. But I did want to know a little more about the author, and this was a good book. That's all. An Agatha Christie enthusiast would probably enjoy it a great deal.
Leanne
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was a little scattered and hard to follow. I would recommend reading Agatha Christie's autobiography instead. It's a much larger book, but it is straight from her own hand and not full of speculation.
Steve Roberds
Learned a lot about the author, but the structure of the biography seemed disjointed. It was nice that this was written so soon after her death, allowing for interviews with many contemporaries.
Medlibrarian
Mar 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sycophantic, poorly organized, and poorly sourced. A waste of my time.
Anna Katharine
Oct 06, 2018
Rebecca Spoon
Sep 05, 2012
Sara Annabelle
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2014
Anne
Jan 06, 2013
Aknez
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Reads like a reference book.
Tabitha