Start by marking “A Pocket Full of Rye” as Want to Read:
A Pocket Full of Rye

A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  21,877 Ratings  ·  877 Reviews
In this classic mystery, the beloved Miss Marple applies her wisdom to a children's rhyme to solve a complex crime. On December 4 and 11, PBS-TV's acclaimed series "Mystery!" will present two one-hour shows based on the book.
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published February 8th 2007 by AudioGO (first published November 9th 1953)

To ask other readers questions about A Pocket Full of Rye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pocket Full of Rye

Jeff
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who-done-it
It’s been a long time since I’ve read any Agatha Christie and it’s easy to let one’s brain flow back into her story telling style. Her books do have a comforting familiarity. Dry humor to set the scene; the murder; the investigation; more dead bodies; the red herrings; the revealing.

No heavy lifting required. Like a pleasant spring day. This one is a Miss Marple and a decent read. It also provides an unexpected and emotional denouement.

Here’s the kicker for me: I find it very quaint that the Br
Melindam

Eating bread and honey.

The maid was in the garden,
Hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose.

The title and parts of the plot of the novel refer to the nursery rhyme quoted above.

Originally I gave th
Susan
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As anybody who reads the Miss Marple books knows, she often trains young housemaids, so they can go into service. When Miss Marple reads that one of the young maids she trained, Gladys Martin, has been found strangled - a clothes peg left on her nose - in the garden of the house where she worked, she sets off at once to see who did such a wicked thing. Murder had already visited the family, as the head of the household, Mr Rex Fortecue, was poisoned at work and, in his pocket, was a handful of r ...more
Menia
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
B.R.A.CE. 2018 δεύτερο βιβλίο για την τετράδα των συγγραφέων διαφορετικής εθνικότητας
αν και δεν μου αρέσουν οι ιστορίες της Μις Μαρπλ, ευτυχώς εδώ εμφανίζεται ελάχιστα ;)
BrokenTune
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
It was Miss Somers' turn to make the tea. Miss Somers was the newest and the most inefficient of typists. She was no longer young and had a mild worried face like a sheep. The kettle was not quite boiling when Miss Somers poured the water on the tea, but poor Miss Somers was never quite sure when a kettle was boiling. It was one of the many worries that afflicted her in life.
She poured out the tea and took the cups round with a couple of limp, sweet biscuits in each saucer.

That quote has very li
Vichy
Ποιος σκότωσε το Ρεξ Φόρτεσκιου; Η δεσποινίς Γκρόσβενορ, ιδιαιτέρα γραμματέας του; Η γυναίκα του Αντέλ και ο εραστής της Βίβιαν Ντυμπουά; Η κόρη του Ελάιν; Ο γιος του Πέρσιβαλ ή η γυναίκα του Τζένιφερ; Ο γιος του Λάνσελοτ; (η Παμ, η σύζυγος του Λάνσελοτ, αποκλείεται) Η οικονόμος Μαίρη Νταβ ; Η μαγείρισσα Κραμπ ή ο άντρας ο Μπάτλερ; η υπηρέτρια Γκλάντυς Μάρτιν; ή η υπηρέτρια Έλλεν; Η δεσποινίς Ραμσμπότομ, αδελφή της πρώην (πεθαμένης πια) γυναίκας του;

Ο επιθεωρητής Νηλ της Σκώτλαντ Γυαρντ και ο αρ
Sophie Hannah
Loved this - brilliantly surprising ending, and one of those ideal Christie solutions where everything turns on its head at the end and all the same facts suddenly look completely different. I would have given it four stars, except that Miss Marple didn't really (as far as I can see) have enough clues to lead her to the truth. She seemed to have magicked the truth out of nowhere. I know she's a genius about human nature, but I'd have liked a couple of more concrete clues to set her on the right ...more
Adrian
Without a doubt this has been one of my favourite books in the Miss Marple challenge. It is not a novel I remembered reading and so it was wonderful to experience for the first time (maybe ?)
As with a lot of the novels, Miss M is in it only fleetingly, but each appearance is worth waiting for in terms of insight and revelation, and yes I still see Joan Hickson every time.
Elham
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Miss Marple is always the one who finally finds the truths, too bad she's not herself a real detective. I think I must look for such character in radical science-fiction dystopian feminist novels.
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Book 12 for the Miss Marple Challenge. When I picked up my copy of this one, I found the first couple of pages has fallen out―so I used for the first time, the “preview” feature on GR to read the missing bit―so very glad this was available.

The wealthy Rex Fortescue, a shrewd but unscrupulous man, is poisoned, falling ill just after having tea in his office, his pocket full of rye. While Mr Fortescue’s name and circumstances of his death merely hinted at the rhyme “Sing a Song od Sixpence”, befor
Raya راية
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

كالعادة لا يوجد مراجعات لروايات أغاثا كريستي
وعليك أنت أن تكتشف هذه الإثارة وهذا التشويق بنفسك ♥
Mansuriah Hassan
Agatha Christie is definitely one of my favourite author. I immensely enjoyed this book - an innocent cup of tea leads the reader on a path of exploration into the world of a very disfunctional family. This is a good Miss Marple mystery. Even though Miss Marple was not mentioned as often as I had expected.

A Pocket Full of Rye contains many of the very best elements of Agatha Christie: vivid and interesting characters, a great set-up, and the clever "gimmick" of three murders all being cleverly
Niveditha R
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read a Miss Marple mystery in quite a long time. Glad I chose this one. I partly worked it out by paying careful attention, but as usual Agatha Christie succeeded in befuddling me in some aspects!

What I love about Miss Marple is the way she compares character traits to someone she knows/ knew personally. Also, the way she uses her age and dithering manner to gain a level of comfort with the suspects is remarkable. Obviously us readers can see through her tricks! She's pink and cute and
☯Emily
Another enjoyable reread. I remembered who the murderer was when (view spoiler) was killed. However, I did not remember the entire plot or the reason for the murder. It is a good thing that Miss Marple was nosy and went to the scene of the crimes. I'm not sure the detective would have figured it out without her.
Leslie
3.5* for this audiobook edition

Miss Marple plays a smaller role in this book than she did in the Joan Hickson dramatization, which I found disappointing. However, Richard Grant does an excellent narration.
Hafsa Sabira
Not the best Miss Marple I have read.
Laurel Young
Agatha Christie loved to use nursery rhymes as a motif in her mystery novels for added creepiness. Sometimes it works perfectly, as with And Then There Were None or Crooked House (my favorite). Sometimes it feels a little forced, as with One Two Buckle My Shoe or, in this case, A Pocket Full of Rye. The premise is clever and also disturbing--the three murders that echo the rhyme (the king, the queen, the maid). I wondered how on earth Dame Agatha would explain the murderer's use of the rhyme wit ...more
Lydia Dyslin
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads, mysteries
Just what. I thought I had it all figured out. And I did, to some extent. But I definitely did NOT get the murder right. The one character I liked in this book (besides Miss Marple and Inspector Neele, obviously) did it??!?!?! I WAS SO WRONG. I DIDN'T BELIEVE THE WORST IN PEOPLE, WHICH I SHOULD OBVIOUSLY DO. Miss Marple says it herself. EVERYBODY is a suspect in these books. EVERY. BODY. GOT THAT???
Even that inconspicuous museum guard. He probably did it. Don't think "Oh the guard never does it
Anna Kļaviņa
Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie.

When the pie was opened,
The birds began to sing;

Hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose
Anastasia ^^
Όχι... αγκκ... γιατί εκείνος/η να είναι ο/η δολοφόνος!?!?
Jan C
"There are coincidences.... But they shouldn't happen too often"

I've had multiple reads of this. And I have seen the films. Unfortunately, some of the films don't adhere that closely to the book. And then they can become confused in your mind. So I re-listened to a chapter or two, knowing that I had dozed off, and not knowing whether I missed something or the item I am remembering is from a movie and not from the book.

It wasn't in the book.

This is a multiple read for me. But always enjoyable.
Anastasia
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Πολύ μυστήριο, φόνοι απροσδόκητοι και δύσκολο να καταλάβω το σκοπό τους… με κράτησε σε αγωνία και σε περιέργεια μέχρι και την τελευταία σελίδα. Στο μυαλό μου γύριζαν ένα σωρό ύποπτοι που θα είχαν λόγους να διαπράξουν όλους αυτούς τους φόνους, αλλά έπεσα έξω σε όλους.
Το μικρό μειονέκτημα μόνο… ότι η μις Μαρπλ δεν παρουσιάστηκε αρκετά μέσα στο έργο, αν και η λιγοστή παρουσία της στάθηκε ικανή για να δώσει πολλή τροφή για σκέψη στον επιθεωρητή Νηλ.
Περισσότερα εδώ...
FangirlNation
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie liked using nursery rhymes as a unifying theme, and A Pocket Full of Rye, the only Miss Marple book to use this method, does this more strongly than in any other book. For those who do not remember both verses of the nursery rhyme “Sing a Song of Sixpence,” let me include them here:

Read the rest of this review, more reviews, and other wonderful, geeky articles on FangirlNation

Susan in NC
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable- I found a Miss Marple I don't recall reading! Or if I did, I was very young...either way, I know I've seen the BBC version at some point. Not sure if it was my beloved Joan Hickson or one of the other Marples.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly and read it through in one rainy, cloudy, frigid winter Sunday - perfect! The local library has a beautiful collection of Christie books so I am able to indulge my current reading project of finishing Miss Marple in order and then Poirot - a muc
Hymerka
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Вітаю, міс Марпл. От ми нарешті й познайомились.
Цієї зими, коли я читала Семкову "Як писали класики", несподівано зрозуміла, що з усіх згаданих у ній авторів, найменше я читала саме, як він її зве, "бабцю Аґату" (най тебе шляк трафить, вусатий пузаню, воно таки вчепилося!..). Ну, подумала я тоді, тільки-но вийде якесь українське видання, одразу собі придбаю і буду читати. На щастя, чекати довелося недовго. До того ж дуже приємний формат, оці кишенькові томики прекрасно підходять і для осіннього
meeners
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, reread
speaking of guilty pleasures...! another book worth reading for the last sentence (or last pair of sentences) alone. christie springs that ending on the reader like a punch in the face. i have found few writers - in detective fiction or otherwise - who could match the sheer force of insight and unsentimental perspicacity of character introduced by christie here. or perhaps it simply feels that way because both the form and the intent are so seemingly casual. in any case, long live the mystery qu ...more
Maria
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Απογοητεύτηκα λίγο με αυτό το βιβλίο της βασίλισσας του μυστηρίου. Απο την αρχή κατάλαβα τον ένοχο και τον τρόπο που χρησιμοποίησε και εκτός αυτού λέει στην περιληψη οτι το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο είναι άθλος της μις Μαρπλ. Δεν την αναφέρει σχεδόν καθόλου παρά μόνο σε 5-6 σελίδες η οποία λύνει και το μυστήριο μετά απο μία επίσκεψη στην έπαυλη ενώ ο κακομοίρης ο αστυνομικός το παλεύει μήνες. ε καλά, εντάξει!
Pamela
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rex Fortescue is found poisoned in his office, with a handful of rye in his pocket, and Inspector Neele heads for the Fortescue home to investigate. Shortly afterwards, other deaths follow in the house. When Miss Marple reads of events in the paper, she realises that one of the victims was her old housemaid, Gladys Martin. Gladys was found with a clothes peg mockingly placed on her nose, and Miss Marple's indignation at this treatment leads her straight to the heart of the situation.

Really enjoy
Rishabh Singh
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People finding something to read quickly but besides contemporary.
Shelves: kindle
Not a typical agatha book. This was my first miss marple book and the simple word building grabbed all my attention along with the fast pace mystery. No unnecessary details, fast pace , quite satisfactory end and certainly the simple but sophisticated tone of the book landed it 4 stars. The satisfactory ending of Agatha books are the best parts of them as well as characteristic quality of all her books.
Cindy Eliza
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first AC book. To be honest, it has been a long time since I read anything remotely near or similar to a detective or crime story, but after this, I can definitely understand why AC fans adore her writings. I thought the writings were brilliant. Definitely my first of many AC books to come.
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • The Dead of Jericho (Inspector Morse, #5)

More about Agatha Christie

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Fallout
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Pretty Girls
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • The Tenth Justice
    $7.74 $1.99
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Desperate
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions (An Auntie Poldi Adventure)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne Book #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • The Tears of Dark Water
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
    $3.99 $0.99
“Nobody believes in magicians any more, nobody believes that anyone can come along and wave a wand and turn you into a frog. But if you read in the paper that by injecting certain glands scientists can alter your vital tissues and you'll develop froglike characteristics, well, everybody would believe that.” 29 likes
“You think he is marrying her for money?'

'Yes, I do. Don't you think so?'

'I should say quite certainly,' said Miss Marple. 'Like young Ellis who married Marion Bates, the rich ironmonger's daughter. She was a very plain girl and absolutely besotted about him. However, it turned out quite well. People like young Ellis and this Gerald Wright are only really disagreeable when they've married a poor girl for love. They are so annoyed with themselves for doing it that they take it out of the girl. But if they marry a rich girl they continue to respect her.”
6 likes