Start by marking “Pookie” as Want to Read:
Pookie

Pookie (Pookie #1)

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Pookie, the little white rabbit with wings, first published in 1945 is a classic, endearing character and HarperCollins is delighted to be bringing him to their list. In this first adventure Pookie is sad because he has two flimsy little wings which make him different from all the other rabbits. He decides to set out to find his fortune but he has many cold, lonely days ah ...more
Published by Collins (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Pookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pookie

Barbara Kallaur
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-beloved
This book was not published in the US, and then for a brief time it became available from Collins. It is one of my most cherished childhood books, and I have been collecting them over the past 2 decades. However, collectors have become aware of them and some of the prices are through the roof--upwards of $800!

I wish Collins would republish. There are lots of grown-up Pookie lovers out there, and lots of kids who have never met this resilient white rabbit with a Secret Sorrow--his wings!
Kathryn
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"This is the story of Pookie, a little white rabbit with soft floppity ears, big blue eyes and the most lovable smile in the world. He lived with his mother and father and four brothers and three sisters, deep down in the warm, brown earth under an oak tree in Bluebell Wood."

Sometimes, I come across a book that I know I would have just *adored* as a child and it captures my fancies and takes me back to the days when fairies played in our yard and magic whispered in the wind. "Pookie" by Ivy Wall
Becky
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My most beloved story of childhood about a rabbit who is born with wings... The illustrations are magical...

"What was a Fortune? He had no idea, but he thought it must be a mixture of happiness, lettuce and kind words."
Jude
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My very favourite book from an early age. Looked at and read many times.
Iona
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I'm so excited. I adored this story as a little child, and fell in love with Pookie's pictures and his courageous little heart. My copy got lost on the way and I never got round to finding another as it was out of print. So I was never able to share Pookie's story with my gorgeous gal when she was growing up. I now find the book has been reissued....and, indeed, there are several more Pookie stories. Happily I have bought a copy, and happily I will share his tale with my grandchild if they let m
Sally
Pookie & Belinda = OTP. Also, the chapter where Belinda put a pretty scarf around her hair so that she could do the spring cleaning totally made ME want to go and do the same. My mother did not complain ;)
Joan
Read this as a child, then lost the books at some stage. My daughter bought it for me when they were reprinted. A book to treasure. Beautiful illustrations, from when childhood was innocent.
Jen
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: addison-books
This book is no longer in print. It was one of my most beloved childhood books and I have loved sharing it with my son.
Donna Guilbault
also read and loved all the Pookie books as a child..found a couple in a used book sale..felt I had struck gold!!!
Cherish
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
My absolute favourite childhood story :)
Irene Palfy
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
so cute.. and those names are lovely..
Carol
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, own-it
I can't say how many times I've read this book. And every time I do, I cry. It's such a wonderful story about acceptance of who we are.

I look forward to sharing this with my grandchild(ren).
Stephanie