Start by marking “Man, The Dwelling Place Of God” as Want to Read:
Man, The Dwelling Place Of God

Man, The Dwelling Place Of God

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  761 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The supreme interest in the life of A.W. Tozer was God. He believed that all that really matters is for people to be in right relationship with God. He delighted to exhort Christians to let this be the purpose of their lives. The 39 chapters of this book deal with one subject: the relationship of God and people.
Paperback
Published December 12th 1992 by Christian Publications (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Man, The Dwelling Place Of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man, The Dwelling Place Of God

Ron
An extraordinary collection of (mostly) short essays most of which originally appeared in The Alliance Witness of which he was the editor in the 1905s. Presumably only of interest to Christians, and even then to those seeking a closer walk with God.

Best read one chapter at a time--they all stand alone--to allow the reader to absorb and reflecton Tozer's message. Many lend themselves to personal mediation. Can be life changing.

A very good read.
Jeremy
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Christianity today is man-centered, not God-centered." (No doubt!)

"The old cross is a symbol of death. It stands for the abrupt, violent end of a human being."

"The whole world has been booby-trapped by the devil, and the deadliest trap of all is the religious one."

One of the things I appreciate most about Tozer is that he was highly critical of the modern evangelical church and yet was himself a modern evangelical. I think he saw the many ways that the church was selling out to partisan politic
Rusty
I like A. W. Tozer quite a bit. There are times when I think he's right on the money, and times that I have some problems with what he has to say. I can't decide why I disagree. He definitely has a more conservative tone, but that's not all of the problem. Even when I find myself disagreeing strongly with what he has to say, I find myself listening and trying to work through the differences in my head, rather than dismissing his ideas. That's a hard combo for me to find. His take on modern Chris ...more
Rick Shrader
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most delightful Tozer books I have read. It has 39 short chapters on unrelated topics so one can read for a long or short time, stop, and come back to it without interruption. This makes a great format for those vacation or get-a-way times when you want to read for encouragement at your own leisure. And the reader won’t be disappointed in finding the familiar gems dropped behind from a long walk with Tozer. In fact, Tozer writes, “The best writer is one that goes with u ...more
Katrina Janine
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Tozer was able to point out how Christianity as we know today is not the Christianity that Jesus had in mind when he went here on earth. Throughout the years, we have made Christianity man-centered and have altered some fundamental truths in order to please the crowd and make Christianity more acceptable and easier to swallow.

Christianity was never meant to be comfortable; on the contrary, Jesus wanted to shake everyone's core by challenging the accepted truths and practices during His time.

Th
Rosemary
A Christian classic worthy of your time!
Jill McIlreavy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It would be easy to pass by Tozer’s works because many of them were written over 50 years ago and sometimes the language can be old fashioned- but may I say something? From just a few pages in I forgot about any of that! I was so challenged, blessed and encouraged through this book. A.W. Tozer writes with the authority of a prophet of God. There’s a powerful message in this little book. But it leaves the reader with a choice: Listen and apply, and experience the blessing of God’s presence, or ig ...more
Albert Galeas
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book that requires the reader to carefully read and meditate on the message. Recommended to me by an old college professor, this book makes you rethink our relationship with God and the mystery behind it. Simple and short, I highly recommend this book.
Jin Wan
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love Tozer's writing. He is one my all time favourite authors. He writes with courage, and provides profound commentary about what is happening today, making his writings highly relevent and accurate. Normally I wouldn't like books compiled of many small independent and distinct chapters but nearly every chapter contains a gem and mostly he warns us to be Christians who are awake, not asleep, in this world.
Kris Langgaard
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesomely practical. No-nonsense style of writing
Moaning
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite 'dead guys'. Tozer shows us a God that is not in the box of modern 'church'.
Jeremy Utley
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Up there as one of my favorite Tozers. Consistently great, often spectacular, rarely blah.
Jeanie
A book not for the faint of heart. He writes in great detail what is missing from the church and individually. I do think that it is important just because we can become complacent in our faith. The mindset in reading this book is to be encouraged by what Jesus has done and to get yourself out of the way. Not to be passive but to have urgency for the word of God and understanding. Not to be happy in ignorance but to be seeking truth like a dog with a bone. I like his definition of love. That the ...more
Justin Gaynor
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
A.W.Tozer again challenges us to take more seriously the call of Christ. As Bonhoeffer so eloquently states, "When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die." It is very refreshing to read someone who is unapologetic about their love of Christ and fallen mankind, about using the gifts we've been given for the Kingdom,and some of the more difficult realities presented us in scripture and who stands firm in direct, outspoken opposition to a lukewarm, passive relationship to Christ and the world ...more
Nikolas Larum
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
A compilation of articles that Tozer wrote on the subject, his depth of insight will challenge and bless your soul. Though Tozer died in 1963, his comments on the human condition, errant evangelical practices, and the markings of a real spirit-filled life are as applicable today as when he wrote them. Some notable quotes: “God is never found accidentally.” (p.41) “True faith brings a spiritual and moral transformation and an inward witness that cannot be mistaken. These come when we stop believi ...more
Darin Vogt
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great little read!

Tozer left this life to dwell with Christ in the 60's; however, this book fits the present Christian culture much as it did 50 years ago. The last two chapters are a must-read for every soul that proclaims Jesus as Lord.
Gary B
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013, tozer
Tozer was really a 20th century prophet. I've never read anyone who writes like he does. His writing has the ability to cut to the quick. He writes about deep, spiritual things in everyday language. Some of his language and analogies are a little 'homespun' but he was mid-west American and writing 60 years ago.

One of the more startling chapters in this book is where he writes about unanswered prayer. Rarely does god say 'wait', but usually a non-response from god is because of sin or some other
Craig
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, theology
Practical and straightforward. Some really good tidbits in here, but all together a little disjointed. The book is essentially a collection of about 40 short essays on daily applying Christian theology to your life. However, I thought the essays, at 2-4 pages each, were too short to dive into any of the topics properly. The result feels like a collection of semi-related platitudinous thoughts. The book may be good for a daily devotion type of setting, but reading for longer sessions left me reel ...more
Glen
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great reread from a man who wrote prophetically about our times. This work is dated by publication standards but his closing chapters on the importance of doctrine, the Christian views on society and our role in the world are some of the most salient treaties you can find on the topic.

Tozer always writes in a readable form that is highly quotable and lends itself to thoughtful reflection. I highly recommend this book.
Rachel
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book has given me much to meditate on. Even as I finished the last chapter, I know there are portions that I want to read again. There was tremendous encouragement in Tozer's words too- and he gave insight into many of the struggles I have faced over these past several years.

Highly recommend all of Tozer's books that I have read-looking forward to returning to this book and reading others that he has written.
John Sheehan
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are a serious Christian of any denomination this is a must read along with Tozer's other books each walking you down a path of wonder; driving you deeper and deeper into the word of God and God's own heart. Tozer's insights into God most amazing. He was a brilliant theological mind and we are blessed to have his written comments to share for generations to come.
Dana
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
thy heart with all diligence" is more than a wise saying; it is a solemn charge laid upon us by the One who cares most about us. To it we should give the most careful heed lest at any time we should let it slip.

Tozer, A.W. (2010-06-03). Man - The Dwelling Place of God (Kindle Locations 98-100). . Kindle Edition.
Candace Jane Coran
True Spiritual food for the righteous

This book is so needed today by a Christian and especially the modern church community. So necessary to keep worldly ways out of the church and Christian thought. I would recommend this book to today's leaders.
Zeke Zeiler
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent when you read about one chapter a day as a devotional. Pretty heavy stuff worth meditating on. I like him better when he is talking about God and our relationship to Him, and less so when he is analyzing "The Church". These observations seem a bit out-dated.
Nina
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book again in conjuction with a study on John's Epistles. This little book of Tozer's could be the "how to" guide for Chtistians on what it actually means to abide in God. As usual, he is plain spoken and to the point.
Angie
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Tozer books! Filled with such poignant and anointed truths about God's love for us, and our response.
Paulette Sauerbrei
Excellent

A. W. Tozer does a wonderful job of describing what the Christian life is all about and encourages us to live what we claim to be.
Tedra Sharon
Tozer can't miss
Praise The LORD!
Andrew Strenn
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. I enjoy reading Tozer.
  • Absolute Surrender
  • The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century: Including The Church Before the Watching World
  • All of Grace
  • Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God’s Everything
  • Gospel Wakefulness
  • Hosting the Presence: Unveiling Heaven's Agenda
  • Revival God's Way
  • After God's Own Heart: The key to knowing and living God's passionate love for you
Aiden Wilson Tozer was an American evangelical pastor, speaker, writer, and editor. After coming to Christ at the age of seventeen, Tozer found his way into the Christian & Missionary Alliance denomination where he served for over forty years. In 1950, he was appointed by the denomination's General Council to be the editor of "The Alliance Witness" (now "Alliance Life").

Born into poverty in we

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Poor Your Soul: A Memoir
    $9.99 $1.99
“The best book is not one that informs merely, but one that stirs the reader up to inform himself.” 54 likes
“For myself, I long ago decided that I would rather know the truth than be happy in ignorance. If I can not have both truth and happiness, give me truth. We’ll have a long time to be happy in heaven.” 32 likes