Start by marking “The Enchanted Horse” as Want to Read:
The Enchanted Horse

The Enchanted Horse

It's Christmas, but Irina's family don't have enough money to buy her the present she wants. Then Irina sees the wooden horse in the junk shop window and all she wants is to take it home with her. Irina is ad and lonely and he knows that the little horse is lonely too. But what Irina doesn't know is that this dusty little horse with the tattered mane is really an enchanted ...more
Paperback
Published August 6th 2002 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Enchanted Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enchanted Horse

Start your review of The Enchanted Horse
Abigail "Abby-Rose" Margarida Sparrow
This was a childhood favorite of mine I very much enjoyed when I was learning to read.

It is the beautiful story of a little girl named Irina who gets it in her head that she wants -- as her Christmas gift one year -- a strange, dirty "rocking horse" with no rocker she spies in the window of a shop run by an old blind man.

Timeless and moving, the story continues as Irina's horse magically comes to life and she has to accept that the magical horse is God's creature, not hers, and shall do what it
Clare O'Beara
When a lonely girl sees a wooden toy horse in a junk shop, she decides to buy it, even after hearing the sad tale of the last owner. As she cares for the horse, cleans it up and talks to it, she starts to think the horse Bella is becoming alive.

As well as learning a little about horse care we see that Christmas can be a lonely time and people living on farms are quite isolated. I personally would not recommend asking a horse to lift its feet under its girth so the right hoofs can be cleaned on
Rea
Apr 05, 2011 added it
Shelves: read-as-child
I had this one on cassette as a kid. I used to listen to it over and over. Recommended for young girls who like horses.
~☆starlight
I bought book recently because it was the first book I read as a child and I fell completely in love with it, now rereading it as an adult I feel much the same way. This is a beautiful book I highly recommend it for anybody who has a little girl the book is simply magical a lovely tale about a magical horse brought back to life by Irina one Christmas. The tale deals with subtle lessons and is ultimately about love and friendship this is a lovely book I highly recommend
Lori Watts
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanted horse is a great link in literacy for descriptive writing and a tool for the children to use their imagination.

This book is about a young lonely girl that comes across a wooden horse in a junk shop. The twist in the story though is that the wooden horse actually comes to life...

The only problem I found with this book is that the girls in the class were more interested in it than the boys, which did mean that their work was not as enthusiastic. This should be considered.
Nancy
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In our Reading with Kids adventures, the next book to come up is The Enchanted Horse by Magdalen Nabb. This is a short, fast-reading book published in 1992 that I’ve had for many years. I have very fond memories of this book, as it fulfilled the little girl’s horse fantasy, but at the same time it taught an important lesson that I still carry to this day and that I credit to this book.
The story is that Irina, a farm girl, gets a wooden toy horse for a Christmas present. The wooden horse is about
Sofia Brito
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for whole class reading with my Year 4❤️
Melissa
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, for-my-kids
This was a book I read over and over as a young girl.
Kris
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story of a lonely girl and a toy horse--an enchanted horse she comes to care for.

The black and white illustrations were very nice and added to the story.

Copyright 1992
Hannah Boult
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite book as a child. One of the first proper books I ever read and definitely would love to read again.
Γιάννης
A very good book for young readers and a deep meaning for all.
KK
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and would have given it 4 or maybe even 5 stars, but, in my opinion, it has a terrible ending.
Anna Puleio
Jan 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
La stuccosità del linguaggio (similitudini e metafore à gogo) cerca di compensare l'assoluta banalità della storia e la mancanza di introspezione dei personaggi.
Clarizza Gem
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The Enchanted Horse (1992) by Magdalen Nabb

Irina, is a lonely girl but it wasn't for long. One night, on Christmas eve, Irina and her parents are strolling through town. Her parents are asking her what she would want as a present. When she couldn't decide what she wants, they almost gave up on asking her. But as they were heading their way home, she peeked through a junk shop window and saw a rocking horse. Irina thought it was sad and lonely just like her. She quickly went in to the junk shop a
Fatema Meamari
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, animal-related
One of the most heart-warming, beautiful and enchanting (pun intended) children books out there. Beautiful and very heart wrenching in certain parts. Wonderful read. I wish I'd read this as a kid, it would have had a certain impact on my life. MAKE YOUR KIDS/NIECES AND NEPHEWS/BROTHERS AND SISTERS READ THIS.
Tina
Jul 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-book
Theme: Gift of love
Summary: A story about a lonely, shy and poor girl who chooses a diry old toy horse from a junk store for christmas only to discover that it turns into a real horse at night because she's been taking such good care of it. However, she learns a hard lesson in loving animals and claiming them as your own.
Kandis Dawkins
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book as a little girl. I loved the magic of it in an everyday setting. I can't place exactly what drew me to the book, but I remember reading it before bed every night for weeks. Now I'm an adult with a little girl of my own, and I can hardly wait for her to be old enough to read it to her before bed, too.
RogueHireling
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bitter sweet story of love found and lost. A young girls love of a horse and the transient nature thereof. Also a reminder to parents that children need something outside themselves to grown and be happy.
Cat Astrophe
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. Always going to have a special place in my heart <3 ...more
Grace
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The edition I read had beautiful illustrations. It scared me a little I think.
Amy
Really great book l. I didn't like when the parents thought it was a rocking horse but it was a real life horse . I loved it at the end when their was a foal and then the foal stayed with irana
Susie
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, moving story but not horribly sad like most horse books!
Dawn
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely fantasy story where a toy horse comes to life.
Sylvia
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairy tale like story of a girl and her poor little rocking horse that comes to life. Very good story!
Helena-Clare
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Currently using this book with my 7-8 year old guided reading group. It's brilliant for getting them to think about descriptive writing and empathising with the main character.
Amanda T
Mar 03, 2017
Marie Johnsen
Mar 09, 2017

• The Perfect Kitten
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • Destined (House of Night, #9)
  • Redeemed (House of Night, #12)
  • Tempted (House of Night, #6)
  • Awakened (House of Night, #8)
  • Hunted (House of Night, #5)
  • Huntress of the Sea
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Accidental Heroes (The Rogues, #1)
  • Haunted Warriors (The Rogues, #3)
  • Secret Guardians (The Rogues, #2)
  • The Other Alice
  • The Kingdom
  • The Doldrums and the Helmsley Curse (The Doldrums #2)
  • Лондон. Время московское
  • Sophie Hits Six (Sophie, #3)
MAGDALEN NABB was born in Lancashire in 1947 and trained as a potter. In 1975 she abandoned pottery, sold her home and her car, and came to Florence with her son, knowing nobody and speaking no Italian. She has lived there ever since, and pursues a dual career as crime writer and children's author.

She has written fourteen crime novels featuring Marshal Guarnaccia of the carabinieri, all set in Flo