Start by marking “Hammerhead Ranch Motel” as Want to Read:
Hammerhead Ranch Motel

Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge A. Storms #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  3,834 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Tim Doroey, author of the raucous, raw-edged, hilariously bent literary joy-ride, Florida Roadkill, now invites you back to his Sunshine State--not the tourist-mecca peneioner-paraclise the Chamber of Commerce would have you visit, but an Eden verdant with lost drug money; a center of lunatic, gravity, drawing fugitives, gangsters, losers, sociopaths and psychos of every f ...more
Published July 3rd 2000 by William Morrow (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hammerhead Ranch Motel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hammerhead Ranch Motel

Mike French
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My GR Friend Fred Forbes commented that Serge Storms grows on you. He is correct! Serge (Tim Dorsey) and Skink(Carl Hiaasen) have to be two of wackiest characters in American Literature and I love their antics! If you like Carl Hiaasen,Paul Levine and Dave Barry, you will love Tim Dorsey.
David
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a chaotic mess. Not to suggest that it is all bad, but it is sort of like the author was smoking meth and up for days as he wrote it. The book has a frenetic pacing that is at times endearing and at others annoying. The characters are all unscrupulous nutcases and at times this is fun and at others frustrating.

Almost every chapter seems to introduce a new character, some of whom don't even survive the chapter. The reader is granted a readers digest introduction to these characters
Heather
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This takes place where I live and I can't help but notice the similarities between these fictional characters and the characters I know that hang out in places eerily similar to the "fictional" ones in the book. Tim Dorsey has a very warped sense of humor, and I for one love it. Laugh out loud funny but a little vulgar.
Adam
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
You can only continue reading this review if you promise to leave you judgements at the door...everyone deserves to see how the other side lives...and writes. I generally lean towards non-fiction books - from the political side over to the self-help genre - but every once in a while I will venture into the world of fiction, and Dorsey's early work is first-rate.

So, now we can get down to business...this was the second in a ten book series (might be more now) of one of the most underrated fictio
Lee
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Serge A. Storms, the schico/attention-deficit/spree killer/anti-hero of Tim Dorsey's zany series. Serge is a walking encyclopedia of his beloved home state of Florida, who will get side tracked, with an obscure history lesson. With bungling thugs, drugs, sex and rock 'n roll, this series is laugh out loud craziness.

One example...

"What kind of a crazy motel is this?" asked the cop. "Is there anyone here who's what they're supposed to be?"
"I am," said Serge, raising his hand. "I'm a one-hundr
Thomas Todd
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a series I will continue to read. I believe the total book count in this series is around 20 & Dorsey has me hooked 2 books in with the likeable serial killer Serge Storms and the many, many wacky and wierd characters involved in each book. I've enjoyed the creative ways one might lose their life, with Dorsey you just never know. Coleman's gone but we're introduced to somewhat of a sidekick Lenny and Dorsey is spot on with a lot of good Florida history that he mixes in rather well ...more
Edward
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear God this was funny. My wife and daughter were staring at me as I read, because I couldn't stop from laughing out loud.

Dorsey's first book had some funny scenes but also dragged in some places. This book pretty much was hilarious the whole way. Imagine the most ridiculous Hiaasen scenes populating a whole book. I have to give a book that gave me this much enjoyment five stars.

Now, I will warn you that the plot was a little uneven. But the plot was totally effing irrelevant to liking the book
Craig Brown
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny, laugh out loud. If you are offended easily stay away, if you can find humor in odd ways, read on. Check out Dorsey's web site though, he explains his characters. He uses the characters over and over but reserves the right to kill one in one book and bring them back in the next as if that book never occurred. It confused me at first but once you say, it is just another book you are fine.
Jessica
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bad bad bad. Only useful as trashy beach fiction. Includes a roller-skating parrot and a murderer who taxidermies his victims alive. Hilarity!
Linda
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I explained my reasons for loving the Serge Storms series by Tim Dorsey in my review of Florida Roadkill - the same applies here. It's a hilarious book, fast-paced, lots of twists and turns and highly recommended.
Dipanjan
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hammerhead Ranch Motel starts off right where we left Serge Storms and Mr. Dorsey's bunch of loonies in Florida Roadkill. It continues on the back of the 5 Million Dollars chase. I hate to admit this but I picked up this book right after I read Florida Roadkill JUST to find out whether Johnny Vegas gets laid? That's probably the weirdest motivation I have EVER had to read a book. The credit for that goes to Mr. Dorsey to even inspire a reader to come along for the ride to quench my curiosity abo ...more
Snotchocheez
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carl Hiaasen and Tom Robbins fans
"Hammerhead Ranch Motel" further cements my opinion of Tim Dorsey: a very funny storyteller. "Hammerhead..." is a sequel to his first novel, "Florida Roadkill", and is a little tighter with the plotline on this one. I consistenly found myself laughing out loud at many of Dorsey's depictions of Florida (and Alabama) eccentrics, criminals and would-bes. My only complaint would be that he tries to pile in TOO MANY crazies in the mix, and the reader can often get lost in trying to decipher labyrinth ...more
Ensiform
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The sequel to Florida Roadkill. I don’t believe it’s possible to give a précis of the plot here. Serge Storms, the deranged serial killer obsessed with his state’s history, has his money stolen and kills lots of people getting it back, and many other equally immoral people do other horrible things, mostly to old people and tourists.

It’s utterly deranged, like Hunter S. Thompson writing black comedy at his most addled. It’s also hilarious, and written in assured, sharp, graceful prose. It’s a con
Frank
This is the second wacky entry in the Serge Storms series by Dorsey. A followup to Florida Road Kill with Serge still after the briefcase containing $5 million in missing drug money from Road Kill. This one again is full of violence and crazy characters who all converge on Tampa on the brink of a major hurricane. These include the owner of the titular Hammerhead Motel, Zargoza, who is using the motel as a front for a drug operation and other scams evidently prevalent in Florida; the Diaz Boys wh ...more
Clayton Yuen
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I am from Florida and love these "in situ" novel where people and places are named and in the fiction. Tim Dorsey adds his warped sense of humor to the characters, especially Serge (the native floridian), and his accomplices! This if a very good comical read that just lays all the players out, in a willy nilly fashion (or so it seems) and brings them all together into a whacky conclusion. Chaotic in the beginning, comes together in the middle, and slaps you in the face with a funky ending.

It is
Dominic Salvucci
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sal-s-books
I laughed so hard I could not see through the tears. Tim Dorsey's sequel to Florida Roadkill sets in motion his story building and character qualities for Serge Storms later adventures. Nuclear Jellyfish was my first Dorsey book, then I had to go back and start reading Serge's adventures from the beginning. The quirky characters, plot twists and diversions, along with offbeat humor add up to a fantastic book that is hard to put down.
Stacy Fetters
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Serge is a modern day MacGyver of death. He's the most creative when it's comes to murder and mayhem.
Seems like everyone in Tampa is searching for the cursed Five million dollars. The craziest of mishaps and a massive hurricane is heading towards the Hammerhead Motel.
Tim Dorsey is one of the best comedy writers of our times. And he still have this series going. Creative gold.
Joe
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody writes 'crazy psychopath' like Tim Dorsey and nobody knows how to kill people off so frequently and in such an odd manner like Dorsey does. If you like dark comedies, pick up any Tim Dorsey book. The guy is twisted, deranged, demented, hilarious and just absolutely screwed up...and you'll love every minute of it.
Frederick
Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2) by Tim Dorsey "Hammerhead Ranch Motel" by Tim Dorsey - 2nd time I've read it. Even better than the first.
Eric
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, I forgot how whacked-out crazy these books can get! The plot kinda gets lost in the insanity, but that's totally beside the point! Buckle up for a wild ride through the Sunshine State with a cast of characters you can't help but rockin' right along with. Long live Serge Storms!
Kara Prem
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re reading this - meant to start with the first in the series - oops, I'll get to Florida Roadkill next.

Serge Storms - everyone's favorite serial killer - he's got a set of ethics, only hurts you if you're a douche, and he loves history. Sounds like my type of anti-hero
Gail Plummer-Davis
If you like Elmore Leonard, your gonna love this guy!
Patti Brownsord
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually laughed so hard I cried with this one.
J. Brook
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still loving all of the little-known Florida factoids. Tim Doresy does it again. At the risk of being cliche, I could not and would not put this book down. Viva Serge!
Dani
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted and fun. Mike enjoyed the first one, best, Florida Roadkill, but this one was my favorite of the bunch.
Peggy
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just plain wacky. It's my favorite of Dorsey's books and it's exactly what i look for in escapism, beach reading.
Jake
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deadly hurricane adds to the mix of mayhem and laughter. Serge may have a few new friends, but it all comes crashing down over the briefcase.
Jeff Yoak

While better than the first book, this is still slow and disjointed. One more chance to catch up to the quality of his later book I read.
Sandie Herron
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Floridians, those that like funny and wacky stories
Recommended to Sandie by: I was hooked by series by then
Another wacky Florida mystery
Nicole
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone over the age of 13
See Triggerfish Twist review, it applies to all of these : D
hammerhead ranch motel 3 20 May 31, 2013 10:14AM
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Florida Straits (Key West, #1)
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
  • Naked Came the Manatee
  • Bahamarama
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined
More about Tim Dorsey...

Serge A. Storms (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms, #8)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)
“I’m a one-hundred-percent, made-in-Florida, dope-smugglin’, time-sharin’, spring-breakin’, log-flumin’, double-occupancy discount vacation. I’m a tall glass of orange juice and a day without sunshine. I’m the wind in your sails, the sun on your burn and the moon over Miami. I am the native.” 1 likes
“At work, he pretended every woman customer was a floozy with a hard-luck story who only needed a good slapping.” 0 likes