Start by marking “The Delightful Adventures of the Muddle-Headed Wombat” as Want to Read:
The Delightful Adventures of the Muddle-Headed Wombat

The Delightful Adventures of the Muddle-Headed Wombat

(Muddle-Headed Wombat #1-4 omnibus)

Wombat and his inseparable friends - the motherly and practical Mouse, and Tabby Cat, whose pride, along with his tabby coat, is always being ruffled - began their careers in a daily children's serial on ABC radio. Since then their delightful adventures in the popular series of Muddle-headed Wombat books have entertained thousands of children in many parts of the world.
Thi
Published October 1st 1986 by Angus and Robertson (first published 1963)

Be the first to ask a question about The Delightful Adventures of the Muddle-Headed Wombat

Anne Hamilton
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could anyone grumble-umble about such a terribubbly classic book?
Belinda
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every child and peter pan out there
Recommended to Belinda by: Mrs Carlisle, year 2
I think there should be a lot more Muddle Headed Wombat in the world. Children are being handicapped by the Bummageddons and Twilights and Full Frontal Snogging. I think that possibly we could even achieve world peace if everyone was made to read this book at the same time. Imagine Osama in his cave, giggling his guts out along with Obama in his whitehouse and some random guy in a fur hat. Pure harmony.
Krystal
Definitely loved this one as a kid, even if I remember very little of it these days! It was another I read over and over, and it's always endearing to have Aussie animals take the front seat.
Kayla
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Kayla by: My Pa
how can you possibly go wrong with such an amazing classic in books? i got this book when i was in grade 3, as a going away present from my Pa. always took it with me and i still have it to this day! love this book, absolutely wonderful!!
Emma
This has aged really well. It's very sweet and humane, and very witty. I really enjoy reading it as an adult, and my 3 3/4 year old is loving it. It's less obscure than Winnie-the-Pooh.
Ruth Bonetti
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up on this book and its interpretation on radio through The Argonauts Club. It's an Australian classic.
Lola
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its very good because its all about this poor little pussy cat who's all bossy. The wombat is all weird and only knows how to count up to 4. (L, Aged 5)
Arctic-Console
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
It was nice and really quite charming, I really enjoyed reading it.
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
A classic Australian children's book; The Muddle-Headed Wombat follows Wombat and his two best friends Mouse and Tabby on their many adventures on holiday, at school and in the treetops.

Written by Ruth Park and illustrated by Noela Yound, this edition contains four tales; The Muddle-Headed Wombat (1962), The Muddle-Headed Wombat on Holiday (1964), The Muddle-Headed Wombat in the Treetops (1965), and The Muddle-Headed Wombat at School (1966).

I absolutely love The Muddle-Headed Wombat. I grew up w
Denise
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
So this is basically the Australian version of Winnie the Pooh. Instead of Pooh bear, we have a muddle-headed wombat; instead of Eyeore/Rabbit, there's a prissy/arrogant little cat; instead of Piglet, there's a helpful & kind little mouse. It definitely suffered the lack of a Tigger (my favorite).

It was enjoyable enough to read just as a way to get a sense of the Aussie lore, but like most classic children's lit I found myself at the end wondering, "Why are so many of these books' heroes stu
Sally
Wonderful wonderful wonderful! I have this, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, and Blinky Bill all in wonderful "complete adventures of" hardcovers and they just look so lovely all on my shelf together. This one is the only one that isn't fallen to pieces, given that I didn't get it (new) until I was 8 or so - the others were there before I could read, and were both second-hand copies to boot. For that reason, the Muddle-Headed Wombat was always my third favourite of the three, but that's not to say it's ...more
Wade
Omnibus edition of four tales of the Muddleheaded Wombat, and his friends Mouse and Tabby. Sort of an Australian version of Winnie the Pooh in that they stumble into adventures, often propelled there by Wombat's clumsiness or hunger, or Tabby's vanity. Mouse usually is the agent of their salvation with his clear thinking.
Rachel
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
read this book in year 3 at school and it's such a cute, quirky and fun book. it's a beautiful story for children about friendship and the differences that all friendships have and all people have but about the bonds we all share.

the illustrations make the book amazing.
Bryce Harper
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the books my mom would read to me at night when I was younger and I loved it. I had forgotten about it until recently and I was flooded with happy memories as soon as I saw it. Great book for kids. I definitely want to read it with mine.
Brendan Waite
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old favourite that I read many, many times as a child. It was one of the first books I got for my daughter before she was born. I look forward to being able to share this with her in the next few years.
Fiona
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious adventures of a very muddleheaded wombat and his friends Tabby Cat and Mouse. I read this as a child and also listened to the wonderful radio adaptation. Now I've introduced my daughter to the adventures of Wombat. Gorgeous book.
Kathryn
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, though a little dated, childrens tale of a silly but good hearted wombat and his friends--sensible Mouse and the uppity Tabby Cat. Based on some radio plays of the same name for ABC's children's hour which aired from 1951-1970.
Everose77
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So cute!!! Read this 3 times!!!! in 2013 love,love,LOVE!! Recommend it to anyone who loves cute stories about three animals who travel like gypsies...
Susan Banner
My granddaughter insisted this was a must read. . . can see why she was charmed, though am not racing to read more!
Rebecca
There is some great Australian children's lit out there... I have added a few others to my list: check them out!
Bill
Jul 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio version on a long car trip. Dad's review: 3 hours of petty squabbles and irritating voices. Kids' review: Hilarious!
Cheryl Hofman
Listened to this as an audiobook on our family holiday. Mr 5.5 and Miss 3.5 were entranced and can't wait to listen again on the way home!
Naomi Etheridge
3.5 stars :)
Heather Iveson
I loved this book, read it many, many times. I must revisit it!
Cathy
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic when I was about nine years old.
Gayle
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if this book is as good as I remember, but I loved it as a child.
Jun 22, 2016
Pippa Wilson
Sep 08, 2014
Meg
Nov 23, 2012
Ravaena Hart
rated it did not like it
Jan 17, 2013
  • Blinky Bill
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • The Magic Pudding
  • A Little Bush Maid
  • Penny Pollard's Diary (Penny Pollard, #1)
  • Wombat Stew
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Koala Lou
  • Circus Days Again
  • Unbelievable! (Uncollected)
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • The Shiralee
  • Skymaze (Space Demons Trilogy, #2)
  • Coonardoo
Ruth Park was a New Zealand-born author, who spent most of her life in Australia. She was born in Auckland, and her family later moved to Te Kuiti further south in the North Island of New Zealand, where they lived in isolated areas.

During the Great Depression her working class father worked on bush roads, as a driver, on relief work, as a sawmill hand, and finally shifted back to Auckland as counc

Muddle-Headed Wombat (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Muddle-headed Wombat on Holiday