Start by marking “The Little Leftover Witch” as Want to Read:
The Little Leftover Witch

The Little Leftover Witch

After her broom breaks on Halloween night, a little witch finds herself stranded at the Doon's home.
Published May 1st 1960 by Macmillian Publishing Company

Start your review of The Little Leftover Witch
Turrean
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, families
Sweet little old-fashioned chapter book about a family who takes in a little lost witch. Yes, at times it slips toward the saccharine, and the story is definitely dated. But for the most part, this is just a nice story about the power of love.

Some readers seem to take issue with how Felina is changed, seeing this as a kind of brainwashing or repression of her interesting differences. Certainly a more skilled author would have spent time showing how the family changed, too. But this story is not
Debbie
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I remember discovering in one of my 5th grade teachers rooms. I picked it up to read then and loved it immediately. I never owned my own copy but was able to find one recently. Upon reading it again after more than 30 years, it reminded why I loved it so much. It was such a beautiful and touching story about belonging with people who love you.
Rebecca McNutt
I had this book when I was nine years old, I can't believe I'd forgotten about it. I'm not a big fan of books about witches... well, I don't necessarily hate witch stories, but I'm not seeking them out, either. So, this one had slipped my mind. Anyway, it's a really funny little story, surprisingly not dark or creepy at all, and the illustrations are great, too. :)
Tina
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit, holiday
In fourth grade I had a magical teacher. Her name was Mrs. Darflinger. She had flaming red hair, much like my own, and dressed in colors I had only dreamed of. She ran a tight ship, but if we had reached all of our goals for the day, the final half hour of class was dedicated to listening as she read to us from books that still dance in my memory. October was filled with stories of chilly nights, spooky goblins and eerie adventures as we worked our way to what was hands down, the best class part ...more
Catherine
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my very favorite book as a child. I checked it out repeatedly at the library and read and re-read it many times. I am looking to purchase a copy of it so I can revisit the Doon family as an adult and see if the magic is still there!!
Cathy
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books when I was in elementary school. I'm so glad it's back in print AND available for Kindle! I was surprised by how much I remembered, some of it word for word. It clearly made an impression on me.
Teresa Grabs
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute story about Felina, a little witch who broke her broomstick on Halloween, and the Doon family who owned the tree she landed in. Witches can only fly on Halloween, as everyone knows, and so, Felina was Earth-bound for a whole year. The Doon family did what any family would do - they put a found witch ad in the newspaper. Over the year, Felina faced all the challenges that any seven year old would. There was reading and math to do, doctor's to visit, figuring out birthday parties, and ev ...more
Thebruce1314
This is a sweet little book that will be perfect for Halloween read-aloud. It reminded me a little of the Paddington books in pacing and the fact that each chapter is a little story within the story. At only 75 pages, it's also a very quick read!
While it is a bit dated (in attitude more than anything), the story stands up to the test of time. The only thing it would benefit from are some nice witchy illustrations!
Bethany
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I checked out this book on the recommendation of a library patron. She described a sweet book that she had enjoyed reading to her children, and I agreed with her through the first half of the book.

The story begins on Halloween night, when a little witch gets stuck in a tree with her broken broom. When the Doon family finds her, she's snarly and rude as she explains that witches can only fly into the human world on Halloween. As midnight strikes without a functional broom (she tries several clean
Cheryl
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Michael Fitzgerald
Unfortunately, this new edition does not have the pictures by Sheila Greenwald. Doing a Google image search reveals some, and makes it clear that they would have added a lot to the story.

And I feel fortunate in that I'm old enough to recognize some of the dated cultural references and assumptions. They might jar a modern child. (Otoh, they might intrigue him or her.)

However, it's still a nearly perfect fable about an abandoned, forlorn child who acts out her insecurities but is loved by her new
Sharon
Felina is a little witch whose broom breaks on Halloween. She lands in the tree outside the Doons' house and they take her in. It will be a year until she can fly again, and the Doons agree to let her live with them until then.

I adored this book when I was a kid, so I bought a copy to read aloud to my kids, even though I had not read it in thirty years. They loved it. They got very tense whenever Felina was worried or misbehaved, and were relieved when things worked out. But I don't think The Li
Beckie
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little chapter book that took me just over an hour to read in its entirety. This tale, originally published in 1960, is about Felina who is a witch. On Halloween Night, her broom breaks and she is stuck in our world for an entire year until she can go home next Halloween. This story follows her for one year and how she adapts to "normal little girl life" while living with the Doon family. Sweet little after Halloween story and the ending was perfect.
Megan
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was a favorite when I was a child and I read it with my children every October. It tells the story a little witch whose broom breaks and is left on Halloween night. She spends a year with a family waiting for Halloween so she can get a ride on a witch's broom.
Mir
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger, realism
Not very witchy, but nice.
Noriko
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is an adorable, endearing little story on a transformation of a "leftover witch" who broke her magic broom and fell out of the sky on the night of Halloween.

Witches can only fly on Halloween nights, so Felina, the little leftover witch has lost ways to go back home and ends up staying at the Doons for one year, until next Halloween.

Felina behaves badly at first, adamantly refusing eating anything but black-bat soup and jibbers' gizzard that I have no idea what the hell that is. However, t
Two BookWorms Blog
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
On Halloween night, Lucinda Doon has an unexpected visitor. She is woken in the middle of the night by the sound of someone crying and looking out the window she sees a little witch stuck in the mulberry tree...

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...
Cindy
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Copyright 1960. My copy is from 1973. This is a cute story about a small witch who breaks her broom at Halloween & ends up adopted into a normal family. She goes through the trials & tribulations of learning to fit in.
Good read for young elementary school age.
Charissa
Would have liked to have given this one two and a half stars, so I rounded up. :( There were some funny moments and some sweet moments that our family enjoyed, but overall the book wasn't really our thing and it left a lot of questions in our heads...
Alexia
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A favorite of my childhood! Now I read it every year with my children.
Katya
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A favorite book from my childhood. A young witch, leftover from Halloween, gets adopted by a kind family. It’s definitely from a different era, but sweet nonetheless.
Jolean O'Connell
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply magical.
Madame Jane
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library, favorites
THE cutest Halloween book that I've ever read. A tender story about Felina and a family that takes her in.
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

When Halloween is over, Felina, a young witch girl, finds herself stranded with a broken broom, unable to fly home to her family. She is taken in by the Doons - two parents, their daughter, Lucinda, and their cat, Itchabody - who slowly help her shed her witchy persona and become a sweet and loving human child.

This Halloween-themed story was originally published in 1960, and has just been reissued by Simon & Schuster with new cover art, givin
Book Twirps
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucinda absolutely loves Halloween and all the magic that comes with it. Imagine her surprise when a real live witch falls from the sky and into the tree outside Lucinda’s bedroom. The witch, Felina, had a problem with her broom (it broke mid-flight) and if she can’t make it back to the sky in time, she’ll be stuck in Lucinda’s world until next Halloween.

The girls try the kitchen broom, the dust mop and even the vacuum cleaner, to no avail. It seems Felina will have to stay with Lucinda and her
Carie Juettner
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I ordered this 1960 book from Amazon, I thought I was getting a picture book. What arrived in the mail surprised me by being a chapter book instead, one that touched my heart more than any book I've read lately.

Laughlin's story is about a family who finds a little witch on Halloween night, crying in the tree outside their house. The poor thing has been left behind by the other witches and can't get home again, at least not until next Halloween. The family takes her in, and even though she
Ms. Yingling
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
When Felina, a young witch, crash lands near Lucinda's house on Halloween, Lucinda's family, the Doons, take her in. Since Felina can't get her broom to work, she is grounded for an entire year. The father reports her to the police and manages to obtain a license to keep her, and the family proceeds to accept Felina into their family despite her witchy ways. They convince her to eat things other than black bat soup, and manage to eventually have her give up her witch hat. With the help of a twin ...more
Gaele
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
This was a cleverly detailed and well written story about ‘being different’ and coming to adapt to life with a new family. While the behaviors and actions of Felina are completely appropriate to a child that is desperately in need of a family to love her, the parents in this story do just that.

Teaching proper behavior, manners and even how to think before you act, this story will speak to children in all situations; we all know someone who acts out badly without really knowing why. I think that
Marilyn
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was Halloween time and I saw this book in the children's section of Barnes & Noble. Since I am enamored of witches (especially since our trip to Salem during October festivities a few years ago), I seem drawn to All Things Witchy. Loved this book- get it for your kids, your nieces & nephews, the neighbors' kids. But read it before gifting. Lovely story that also teaches that we don't always have to become what we are "supposed to be" (as in: witches are supposed to be scary), as well as showi ...more
Meredith
A little witch is taken in by a human family after she becomes stranded on Halloween.

When Felina's broom snaps on Halloween, she is trapped in the human world, which in this case is a 1950s small town in the Midwest, and has to wait an entire year before she can return to her supernatural home. During this time, she is taken in by a family with a daughter about her age.

This is a very short chapter book (74 pages). I was struck by its wholesomeness. Nothing really bad happens. It's full of midd
Jay
Oct 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, children, magic
Little witch Fiona broke her broom on Halloween, and couldn't get back home to the witches world. She would have to wait until next Halloween to try again. Lucinda Darling and family take in the horrid little witch and work their own brand of magic over the year. I first read this at the age of about 7, about the same age as Fiona nad Lucinda, but it's a favorite I still read as an adult.

After reading some of the other reviews, I have to add that I grew up in a time when all I wanted was to "be
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Update Book Cover 3 22 Aug 20, 2018 05:05AM
Cover Picture 1 5 Oct 20, 2013 12:20AM
Why? 2 13 Oct 20, 2013 12:17AM

• Little Witch
  • The Witch Family
  • That Is Not a Good Idea!
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1)
  • Thank You, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia, #2)
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia, #1)
  • Fangs
  • Timecrest
  • Sweet Virginia
  • Bear Witness
  • Giraffe & Flamingo
  • The All-Night Sun
  • Treasure (Hush collection)
  • Shine, Pamela! Shine!
  • The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #41)
  • Heating  Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs
  • Slow Burner (Hush collection)