Start by marking “The Three Bears Board Book” as Want to Read:
The Three Bears Board Book

The Three Bears Board Book

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  471 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Who's been sleeping in Baby Bear's bed? In a rhythmic text with striking pictures, Byron Barton retells the classic fairytale of the three bears and a little girl named Goldilocks. This sturdy board book edition is not too big, not too small, but just right for toddlers.

Accompanied by bold and vibrant colored paintings, Barton's story includes the rhythmic refrain children
Board Book, 32 pages
Published January 3rd 1997 by HarperFestival (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Bears Board Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Bears Board Book

Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: requests for simple versions of folktales
Recommended to June by: Elissa
Shelves: folktale
I like this version of the tale, since I get younger children for my story times.12/4/12

Used for my story time and didn't have the wanderers this time. (I also had a class.)

Used in both PJ and Story Time and worked well both places. I had one lurker from the back come to the front for this story.
Laura McLoughlin
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
Meh. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations, but Kathryn enjoyed them and since she is the target audience it bumped it up from 2.5 stars to 3
Jordan Stewart
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
PreK- 1st grade.
No awards.

This book is a board book of the famous Goldilocks and the three bears. The pictures are simple, but colorful. This book has a nice simple story line that students can remember and follow.

I love this book! I remember reading this book as a child!! This book has great illustrations and a great story line.

You could make a simple Felt board story for this. You could also make finger puppet or regular puppets for this book. This book is also great for a read aloud and a
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, classic version of The Three Bears with colorful illustrations.
Sam Dawson
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
An original story of the folk tale of the three bears. Who ate little bears porridge ? Who broke his chair? Whose sleeping in his bed?
Fourth Grade
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think this book is a good book for a little kid. The book is a okay for me. In the book, the girl broke into the bear house and used things of the bears.
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: felix
The standard story. While I didn't find the book outstanding, it certainly is good, and my toddler really liked the style of the pictures.
Kaelin Miller
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: girls, bears
I liked this book. The art was juvenile, though. With that aside, I think this books is great for preschoolers and kindergarteners. I recommend it for your classroom if you are a teacher.
Kathryn Bergeron
Summary: Goldilocks and the three bears.

Why I Read This: It was on the books to read to your kids before kindergarten list.

Review: This was fine. It's a faithful version of the story.
Laura Partida
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Curious, Selfish, Wrong
Daniella Delgado
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: traditional
1. N/A
2. Pre-K -1st
3. This book was the traditional story about Goldilocks and the three bears. It was easy to read and the picture were very simple and colorful.
4. I liked the story of the book but I did not enjoy the pictures. Although, the pictures were not my favorite I did like how bright and colorful they were.
5. Independent reading, transitions.
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: literacy-course
Lexile: 290
Age: Early Childhood
Genre: Traditional lit

POV: reader
Setting: The Three Bears' house, the forest
Characters: Mama, Papa, little Bear, Goldilocks

This classic book tells the story of the Three Little Bears and Goldilocks. The family of bears is made up of Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Little Bear. Their household furniture and food corresponds to their size, so that Papa bear has a large bowl to eat out of, Mama Bear has a medium bowl to eat out of, and Little Bear has a little bowl to eat
Aldon Rau
I recently found myself left to my own devices for an extended period of time while my mother and sister were involved in an interminable project involving tissue paper. I cannot relate the particulars as they were working on top of the table, of which, from my usual vantage point near the floor, I have an extremely limited field of view. In justice, they did offer me a small section of tissue paper, which I accepted and carried around for a bit. It was not entirely unpleasurable.

Normally I woul
Vanessa Mascorro
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Curriculum Connections:

I would read this book to kindergarten students in order to show them the importance of having respect for others and their belongings. This would be important to teach kindergarten students because it might be the first time they are around so many other people.

§115.2. Health Education, Kindergarten.

(8) Personal/interpersonal skills. The student understands ways to communicate consideration and respect for self, family, friends, and others. The student is expected to:

Los Gatos Library
This version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a great choice for young audiences. No frills text convey the heart of the story without any distractions. The font is large and bold, and each page has between one and two sentences. There is a rhythm to the simple prose, and listeners will find themselves able to anticipate each new line. The acrylic illustrations look as though they were painted by a talented five year old. The characters and their critical objects (porridge bowls, chairs, bed ...more
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Byron Barton's picture books can do no wrong in my book. I've been sharing them with my children and children at the library for the last 5 years. The colors are bright, virbrant, and a joy to behold. The text is always bold, black, and easy to read. He covers subjects that all little ones like to read about over and over again--trains, planes, dinosaurs, cars, trucks, astronauts. Now, he brings his brillance to the classic tale of The Three Little Bears with great success. Definitely a wonderfu ...more
Taylor Williams
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a classic adaptation of the original "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" which is okay when reading this to a child that is unaware of the story, but it would be fun if it had a spin to it as well. The illustrations were definitely mediocre which in my opinion does not make for a fun reading experience. Although the book does have some flaws it has some pluses; the book has very few words on each page and the sentences are very simple making it a great book for early readers.
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(Note: I review books for speech/language therapy and for teachers and parents who work with speecn and language impaired children)

The Byron Barton version of the Three Bears is great for use in speech/language therapy because of its simple text and high picture to text correspondence. I have used this book in the past to teach comprehension skills to Pre-K and 1st grade kids. See the full review on
Kaitlyn Lawrence
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, adventure
Everyone knows the story of Goldilocks and the three bears but this story tells it in a simple and fun way. Even though students may be familiar with this book it would still be a good book to read. This would help students to become comfortable or confident in knowing that they could read this story because they know it. So much more could be done to build on to the lesson of Goldilocks and the three bears.
Willie Swinerton
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
I think the underlying theme in Goldilocks of European colonialists wrecking native economies and then abandoning the situation when challenged by the natives/bears is lost on children. Accordingly they are left with the lesson that there are no real consequences to casual breaking and entering. Naturally, my kid loved it and he's well on his way to multiple felony convictions.
Meg McGregor
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A very wry, whimsical, and simplistic retelling about the girl with golden locks who enters the Bear's house without permission. She then eats their food, damages their furniture, and makes herself quite at home in Baby Bear's bed.

A story told for ages this cautionary tale should be followed by an explanation of how Goldilocks behavior is NOT right.
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun retelling of an old classic fairy tale. The text is simple enough for young readers to able to read, and interesting enough for them to want to read. And the illustrations are simple and vibrant.
Jenny Brown
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ages-0-3
With bold, broad brush strokes and the bare essence of the story line, this board book version serves as the perfect introduction to the classic tale of Goldilocks as a gentle interloper in the home of the three bears.

Full review:
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers - K
Today's letter at story time was B and this fit very well with both B's in the title and author. This was a nice and simple telling of the Goldilocks and the Three Bears tale. Simple illustrations with bold colors.
Chandra Fleenor
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tales
It was an okay book but it was just like any other Goldilocks book I have read. This could be a great book for very young age children but I would not recommend it for children past the age of eight or nine.
Robin Rousu
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
I read this three times in a row tonight. Barton's simplification of the text is brilliant. The illustrations aren't my favorite style, but they are clear and bright and toddler-friendly. Highly recommended for ages 2-4.
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books-2009
Super cute story. Simple pictures with bold colors that hold the interest of young children. My son (age 2 1/2) really enjoyed this book. It followed the story line I knew as a child very closely as well.
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of babies and preschoolers
I think my husband and I read this book a billion times, but we never got tired of it. I've used it at storytime, too, but it's better one-on-one, mainly because you can make a bigger deal out of the 3 voices (deep, normal and squeaky). Fun!
Israel Hsu
Jun 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: childrens, borrowed
Barton's simple yet expressive illustrations make this traditional story memorable, especially for two-year-olds. When she saw this book at the library, Anna asked to borrow it again, even though we had just returned it a week ago.
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This book followed the traditional story that I knew pretty closely. It was colorful and easy to read, but I was reading to a 1 year old! If she were any older, I would probably choose a book with better illustrations.
  • Little Gorilla