Start by marking “The Mistressclass: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Mistressclass: A Novel

The Mistressclass: A Novel

2.58  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Sisters Catherine and Vinny are writers living in London with secrets to guard: Catherine publishes erotic novels unbeknownst to her husband, while Vinny defaces the homes of women authors. When tragedy strikes, however, both women face their betrayals with new perspective.
Acclaimed author Michèle Roberts brings history to life-threaded into this contemporary narrative is
Paperback
Published December 1st 2004 by Picador (first published September 10th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Mistressclass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mistressclass

Barbara
I didn't like it at first, but grew to love it while reading - and could not stop thinking about the characters when I wasn't reading it. Metanarrative at times, and intertextual, the novel made me think not only of Charlotte Bronte, but also of Mrs Dalloway. The Bronte bits are well-researched and reflect the spirit of Bronte writing fantastically. I was blown away by Chapter 11. This book reminded me why I love Michele Roberts - although it starts slowly, it does seduce you with poetic, luscio ...more
Hannah Eiseman-Renyard
Two Novels Shoved Together - One of them Crap

This is a bizarre book which I would not have usually chosen, but it was on my reading lists at uni. On the one hand it's a story of two modern day sisters and their complicated love triangle past. On the other, there is an (apparently linked, but not linked very well) story of Charlotte Bronte's love letters to Mr Heger, which quickly descends into S&M Bronte sisters.

As I studied this at the University of East Anglia, where Michele Roberts tea
Jun 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
I couldn't actually finish this book. I had high hopes because of the implied parallels to the Bronte sisters. Depressing and after about 3/4 of the book, I didn't care about the plot or the characters. sorry for being so harsh.
Kara
Jun 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
There are a few good chapters, but not enough to balance out some of the really terrible ones.
Laurie
Oct 15, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book jumps into the middle of lives and leaves you to figure it out. I kept waiting for it to develop, but it never did. Would not recommend it to anyone.
Cecilia
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
The second Michele Roberts book I've read. It just didn't engage me as much as the first. She is a wonderful writer but the plot didn't excite me.
Vicki
Charlotte Goddard
Jun 12, 2009
Chelsea
Jul 18, 2011
Michèle Brigitte Roberts is the author of fifteen novels, including Ignorance which was nominated for the Women's Prize for Fiction and Daughters of the House which won the W.H. Smith Literary Award and was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. Her memoir Paper Houses was BBC Radio 4's Book of the Week in June 2007. She has also published poetry and short stories, most recently collected in Mud: Stori ...more
More about Michèle Roberts...