Start by marking “Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)” as Want to Read:
Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)

Children of the Night

(Diana Tregarde #2)

Rock band Wanderlust is about to hit it big, guitarist Dave Kendall is sure of that. They're playing better venues, in front of bigger crowds-and the people showing up at the after parties are increasingly good-looking and cool. Some even radiate power, like "Master" Jeffries, the tall, saturnine man who seems to have some sort of weird control over Dave's fellow ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Night, please sign up.
Michelle hi Eli, Burning Water was published first, so it's listed as #1 on the author's website, amazon, and pretty much everywhere. however, Children of the…morehi Eli, Burning Water was published first, so it's listed as #1 on the author's website, amazon, and pretty much everywhere. however, Children of the Night takes place in the timeline before BW, so it may make more sense to read this one first.(less)

Start your review of Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)
Gail Carriger
This is the second in the Diana Tregarde series (but you don't have to have read the first). Lackey was writing Urban Fantasy before we called it that and this is one of her best. This book introduces Andree the sexy French vampire, one of the first hot vampires to enter my reading life. The romance between him and Diana (a strong and powerful witch) is adult, complex, and deeply moving. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Oriana
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2011
I am 99% sure this is a mistake. Mercedes was my very first favorite author, when I was about twelve. I must have read Castle of Deception forty times; I can still call to mind entire paragraphs from it. But I know I was an idiot at twelve, and I really don't want to learn that Mercedes was never all that good to begin with, but I just want to read something totally unlike all the pomo super-modern lit fic I'm always immersed in, and this certainly fits that bill. So we shall see...

Also, Tor?
Michele
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised that it was set in 1970s New York and it was a refreshing setting. I thought that Lackey descriptions were well done, providing a realistic fiction version of what I would imagine New York City would have been like.

I thought the characters were flawed, but likable, especially the main protagonist, Diana Tregarde. I thought the idea of a psivamps a fascinating concept, heightened by
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'd originally read this book back in my heavy-Lackey, middle/high school phase. Now having lived and worked in New York for a few years (and no longer being a hormone-drenched teenager), I found myself curious about how it would stand up.

Lackey was doing urban fantasy before it really caught on--if her vampires are derivative of anyone's, they're Rice-esque. So you don't have to worry about errant sparkles, at least.

There may be some lingering affection biasing me here, but I thought this held
farmwifetwo
Jan 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranoramal
DNF at 50pgs.

I'm simply not interested. The story jumps all over, it's all in Diana's head and who were those people and why in the bookstore.

Not for me.
Gwen
Jun 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff, fantasy, shite, queer
I paid 50p for this book, and I want my money back.

Oh Mercedes, why? What went wrong? Was it the 80s? Did the 80s do this to you?

Mercedes Lackey is always a guilty pleasure. Fluffy fantasy novels with fun themes and only a cursory nod to anything deeply meaningful. I usually rip through them in a couple days, like a bag of sugary marshmallows. But this one I ripped through because I just wanted it to end.

Here, I will write a book blurb for you:

"VAMPIRES! DRUGS! FREAKY SEX! DRUGS! TERRIBLE SLANG!
Punk
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Supernatural...thriller? Diana Tregarde is a Guardian, a witch who's devoted her life to battling evil supernatural forces. Here, she meets an assortment of vampires.

This book is awful. The writing's completely over the top, abuses italics and "quote" marks to the point of insanity, and is filled with bizarre folksy phrases. Characters lived in the "Apple," were "in deep kim-chee" at least once a chapter, and Diana (fresh out of college) called all sorts of people "laddybuck" and once said
Aiyana
Before the days of Anita Blake and Sookie Stackhouse, before Bella... There was this book.

This book gave teenage me the creepy-crawlies and made vampires sexy at the same time. This book introduced me to the idea that there could be more than one kind of vampire, and that the blood-sucking kind might not be the most dangerous. This book has a female protagonist who is both vulnerable and bad-ass, a woman fighting psychological demons as well as literal ones, and that makes her someone I could
Jasmyn
Diana Tregarde is a guardian who is sworn to protect those who ask for her help. She finds herself caught up in a complex series of what at first appears to be coincidence, but with the help of her friends and a man she just met, she puts the pieces together to find that many of the strange things happening were really linked together.

Diana experiences every possible emotion in this book and Lackey is there to show them to us in a detailed way that leaves the reader grinning at her jokes,
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy
Before Buffy or Hamilton's Anita Blake or Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, Lackey was writing Urban Fantasy with a strong heroine, Diana Tregarde, starting with Burning Water and also including, besides this one, Jinx High. Diana is a practicing witch and a "Guardian" sworn to protect innocents who get caught up in the supernatural.

Of the three novels, I think this is the strongest. I've read the Tregarde novels didn't sell well, and that's why Lackey hasn't written more with this character. I find
Dlora
The Diana Tregarde Investigation books seem to have an odd trajectory. The first one, Burning Water, shows Diana at full strength and fully set up as a romance writer by day and a witch with "Guardian" powers on the side. However, in this second book, Children of the Night, the timeline backs up. Diana is now just out of college, struggling to be established as a romance writer and unsure of her abilities as a Guardian to help people with occult problems. She is struggling with anxiety attacks ...more
Amy
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Urban fantasy

I have a confession to make. Andre spoiled me for other literary vampires. I read this story back in the 80s when I was discovering my love of fantasy and science fiction, thanks to Mercedes Lackey. I have been hooked on her books ever since I picked up Arrows of the Queen while in middle school. No, I am not doing that math! She is my all time favorite author. Diana Tregarde was written during a time when you didnt really have much in the way of urban or paranormal fantasy and you
Quenya
I really wanted to give this book 2.5 stars and it is for only one reason so I gave it three stars which I will explain. But for other readers - This book did not age well. It has way too many references that show its age and not in a good way.

The story is great and not your normal vampire story and I loved how much I learned about Diana in this one. I loved her friends and how involved she is in the paranormal world that under lies New York City.

Diana was so deep in the book. You got to see her
Tarma
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book first of the Diane Tregarde series. In it I found out that things I'd 'felt' as true and actual were not merely issues of my own imagination but that there really are psychic parasites who can (and do) drain the energy of others. A thing which is real -- and brought out into conscious (and public) awareness. If for no other reason, this book gets 5 stars.

Note: It is through reading the books of Mercedes Lackey that I was introduced to the idea that many things which I had
Miriam
Aug 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Tarma
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good read! It's nice to read how Diana starts out and know, see, how she and her skills and abilities grow as she matures in life experiences and wisdom (I'd read Book 2 already - Burning Water and knew this was a prequel).

Not only is it a good story and we get to meet Andree, this is one of the first books I read wherein I encountered the concept of psychic vampires and realized that what I'd been experiencing throughout my life was not just my imagination but actually happening. I
R. J.
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
I read Burning Water before I read this book and I think it ruined this book for me. In that book the MC seems confident and knowledgeable but in this one she seems immature and whiny. That makes sense because this book is chronologically first but if you read the books in the order that they were published it seems like she taking a step backward. It's also a little annoying that she has a new set of side kicks in each book. You spend a book getting to know the side characters and in the next ...more
John
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was almost as good as the first, though it took me a while to get into. It's a prequel so it filled in some of the blanks, but it's not obviously a prequel at first so the timeline confused me initially.

Some interesting things with Vamps and vamp like creatures, sort of a combined sad/happy ending that's leaving me trying to recall if any of them were mentioned in the first book.

Don't have the 3rd unfortunately. Will have to be on the lookout.
cheralyn r quinn
CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT

This is a MARVELOUS SCAREY BOOK!!!! Mercedes Lackey is such a talented writer. Most readers are used to her Valdemar series but her DIANA Tregarde Books are such marvelous mysterious magical scary books! BOO!! DEFINITELY 5 STARS. I highly recommend this book and the others in the series as a must read!!!!!
Donna
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Challenges: RRRCs May 2019 - Characters prefer nighttime (2); and, Create Your Own Readathon/Stacking the Series/Secondary List, Level 2, Book 2. Before 'Witchblade', 'Twilight', and 'Supernatural', young Diana Tregarde romanced a vampire and hunted evil entities. A nice bit of urban witchiness mixed in with friendships cemented and one redeemed.
Jessica Redmon
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An old favorite

I first read the Diana Tragarde books as a teenager and they have aged really well. A very cool actions have consequences take on magic and a heroine that is not perfect, but still very badass.
Taracuda
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed because I enjoyed the first one. There was too much mental narration through Dos thoughts. This is listed as the second in the series, but events seem like they occur before burning water. ...more
Susan
May 20, 2020 marked it as audible  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
ok, so I broke down and got this one... the narrator was good and seemed to fit the book. I enjoy this book and have read it a few times, but.

ONE major screwup. It takes place in 1972 (Misty said so!). So how can she be living in Stephen King's head?
Donnalee
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: urbanfantasy
Decent people having terrible experiences continue in this series. The themes of learning about spiritual and energetic issues continue, and many nice or crappy people get killed in detailed ways. Sometimes the value of the one almost outweigh the others--everyone's mileage will vary.
Maggie Mcdonald
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
read this one first. chronologically it falls before the 1st book and gives you background on characters referenced in book 1
Diana Gagliardi
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read and reread all the Diana Tregardes in HS and still remember them fondly :)
Suyin
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun easy read when you're feeling a bit second hand
Kelly Martin
I would have loved this book 10-15 years ago when I was reading this style of book. Still it wasn't all bad.
Rebecca
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This story is cute, but the use of word "oriental" to describe a Japanese character was really off-putting and wrong.
Adrien
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2018
I know. But sometimes you just want fluff. Delightful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington, #13)
  • Street of the Five Moons (Vicky Bliss, #2)
  • Night Train to Memphis (Vicky Bliss, #5)
  • Captain's Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #5)
  • Owner's Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #6)
  • Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Ghost Hunters, #10)
  • Defy or Defend  (Delightfully Deadly, #2)
  • Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1)
  • Heris Serrano (The Serrano Legacy, #1-3)
  • The Camelot Caper  (Vicky Bliss, #0.5)
  • Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss, #3)
  • Trojan Gold (Vicky Bliss, #4)
  • Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1)
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street
  • Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
  • The Line of Duty (Duty, Honor, Planet #3)
  • Three Charms for Murder (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #5)
  • Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader's Guide
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts ...more

Diana Tregarde (5 books)
  • Arcanum 101  (Diana Tregarde, #0.3)
  • Magic 101 (A Diana Tregarde Investigation Boxset)
  • Burning Water (Diana Tregarde, #1)
  • Jinx High (Diana Tregarde, #3)