Start by marking “Window” as Want to Read:
Window

Window

"The effect human beings have on the landscape around them is the theme of Baker's most recent tour de force....The artist's multimedia collage constructions are, as ever, fascinating in their realistic detail and powerfully convey the dramatic message.."--Horn Book.
Published April 26th 1991 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Window

Hilary
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
After really enjoying 'Belonging' I expected to love 'Window' just as much. Perhaps it was reading the authors note about ecological damage after reading in her last book how she collected sponges for her collage that made this seem a like an example of practise what you preach, but where I found 'Belonging' subtle and touching I found this frustrating.

The story starts with a mother and baby looking at a countryside close to utopia, mountains and trees, nothing else. Like 'Belonging' this windo
Elizabeth Jamieson
An absolutely brilliant book which shows the changes over 5, 10 and 20 years of living in the countryside and buildings and houses taking over. Great note from the author in the back of the book about how quickly our world is changing
Lisa Vegan
I just finished reading Baker’s book Home which I found uplifting. This book I found quite depressing. I am a city person but the humans overrunning these two landscapes I did not find appealing.

This is the almost wordless story of a boy growing up in the country that becomes a much more populated area, has a baby of his own, back in another area that’s undeveloped, yet with development slated to soon start. As with Home, Bake uses specific age birthday cards and other objects and kids’ growth w
Steven Farmer
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and would definitely recommend it for children of all ages. The book consists of a series of pictures of a landscape, framed by a bedroom window. The bedroom belongs to a boy, and as he grows older you see how the landscape changes. Beginning as a rural, unspoiled setting, the view gradually transforms into an urban, built up environment.

The illustrations are brilliant, and have a physical depth to them, that makes them seem almost raised from the page, as if in 3D.

An in
Lindsey
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I personally like Home better than this wordless picture book since it is more hopeful. Of course on the other hand Window definitely realistically portrays what is happening with cities and the countryside.

Baker's collages are extremely complex and even a bit freaky looking. I can't imagine how much time it takes for her to create a book like this. I read a little about her process and some of the books take years. She even uses real plant matter!!!
Jamie
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The summary really says it all. This is a picture only book that shows how the times change. And not always for the better. The lesson hits home, especially when the grafiit goes up, all the trees are gone, etc. but a bit unrealistic for many place to go the lonely country side to a major city in so few years. But it gets the point across. Would have worked better I think if we watched from being a baby to a older grandpa who maybe moves with is grown children into the countryside once more. I l ...more
Emma
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dolly
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is a similar book to Home by Jeannie Baker. They are both wordless books, and feature gorgeous collage illustrations.

The biggest difference is that while Home depicts a bad neighborhood becoming fresh and green and revitalized, this book depicts a pristine wooded area becoming a city and becoming filled with people, cars, and buildings. We liked both books, but Home is our favorite.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
What fascinated me about the book were the illustrations, which are done in 3-D collages. A boy looks out a window at the same scene over time, and we see the changes that take place in the landscape. Jeannie Baker is a master at this type of illustration.
Kiera
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Window, a wordless picture book, is incredibly effective at communicating its message to readers without the need for text alongside the collage constructions.
Baker provides the audience with the same viewpoint, a window, throughout the entire book. However, as the story progresses and time passes, the view that can be seen from the window gradually changes to show the consequences that occur over part of the boy's life. Changes that can be observed include building developments, a decrease in n
Amy Beckett
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I found this such an engaging and dramatic depiction of the dynamic changes that are happening consistently in our world. Although perhaps the first image of the countryside landscape is what we would hope our world to remain as, in reality, population is ever-increasing and industrialisation is ever-expanding. This is a book that can be used across various age groups and is such a powerful way for children to interpret and visualise their surroundings, in understanding how and why our world is ...more
Merri Jordan
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I used this picture book during my sequence of English lessons on 'Rainforests'. I focused on this book during my starter activity in which I gave each table a different picture from the book.
I think this book had a major impact upon the children, emphasising the importance of protecting our rainforests and the impact of urbanisation.

The illustrations are powerful, hard hitting and effective thus I believe this book is accessible for all ages.
Agnė
This wordless picturebook has a powerful (and quite depressing) message, as summarized in the author's note at the end of the book: "We are changing the face of our world at an alarming and an increasing pace."

Jeannie Baker's collage constructions in Window are as breathtakingly detailed as ever:

Jaimie Morris
Illustrated with elaborate and gorgeous collage, Window is a wordless picture book that speaks volumes. It begins with a mother and baby looking through a window at a view of wilderness and sky as far as the eye can see. With each page, the boy grows and the scene changes, from forest, to a single house, to a village and then to a city.
Eflude
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic picture book! Great as part of the topic of global citizenship and could be used from Yr1 up to Yr6. The detailed changing images throughout the book could be a great stimulus for teaching about the environment, or as starting points for discussion. Many creative writing pieces could be drawn upon as well as art ideas!
Shiloah
Beautifully told story in pictures. The details are a perfect touch.
Caroline O'Brien
This book was used during World Book Week whilst I was on placement last year. The whole school used it to base work around, all the way from reception through to year 6! I loved exploring this book with year 1, looking at the different views through the window, writing sentences about what we could see.
Emma Southam
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me, I found it quite emotional and I loved the story.
Alice Reedy
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The most important children’s books combine entertainment and enjoyability with a more meaningful message; educating children not only in terms of literacy, but about the world around them.

Window by Jeannie Baker is a picture book; its illustrations present the reader with the story of a boy and the view from his bedroom window of the landscape below. As he grows up, the area he observes gradually develops from a lush, rural wilderness to a highly urbanised scene. The message is clear: humans ar
Jack Kirby and the X-man
While Home focuses on urban renewal - this book examines the transformation from relative wilderness to a major town.

Kids will love searching for clues as to how old Sam is, and noticing all the changes that occur through the years.

I found the "Author's Note" to be preachy and unhelpful. "The facts are alarming. Scientists estimate that ... by 2020 no wilderness will remain ... By the same year, they estimate a quarter of our plant and animal species will be extinct." I don't want to niggle with
Simone Lavinier
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The author did a great job in raising environmental issues such as: deforestation concerns, animal extinctions and pollution, all by means of pictures. The illustrations were used to take the reader on a journey from when a family moved into a rural area overlooking a forest to now overlooking many more houses, cars, industrial sites, factories and much more. It showed how the world once was it comparison to what we are familiar with in present day. Each page is similar to the prior, but with so ...more
Nazia Ahmed
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom
Window by Jeannie Baker

ISBN 978-0-7445-9486-7 Published by Walker Books 2002

‘Window’ is a spectacular picture book. The illustrations in this book are truly mind blowing and have such intricate detail. It is amazing to see how much emotion is shown without actually using any words whatsoever. It delivers an important message very beautifully.

‘Window’ is a story about changes in the environment that are shown through the eyes of a boy who is looking out of the ‘window’. Each time I went through t
Ruth Bonetti
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that simply cannot be given to Lifeline when the bookshelves start to collapse under the weight. It's one that will be kept for grandchildren, or perhaps even adult children will reach for it again. It brings back warm memories of bedtime cuddles and stories. The collage illustrations are beautiful, in a classic example of 'show don't tell.' They show the passage of time, and how development changes a rural landscape from pristine beauty to suburbia. This exquisite boo ...more
LauraW
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love the Australian fascination for place. This is a lovingly designed book about the changes that take place in the view out of the window of a house. I used to be fascinated with taking pictures out of windows, and this speaks to that fascination.

The art work for this book is outstanding. Each page is a collage with an incredible amount of detail. It is a book to be poured over, not read aloud.

The major detraction for me, is that it isn't MY place. I know it is irrational to complain about
Cayla Lile
The Window is a wordless story about how quickly our world is changing around us. The illustrations take the reader on a journey of a family who moves into a house in a rural area that quickly turns into a city full of many buildings, cars, and even a McDonalds. Eventually there is barely any remnants of the forestation that was originally thriving in that area. The author is bringing awareness to the damaging effects of deforestation and pollution through the simple use of a view from one windo ...more
Rosa Mitchell
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks1, ks2, pshe, illustrations
A wordless picture book that show the encroachment of urbanisation on the countryside and how people can work to remediate the damage it causes.

I would strongly recommend any teacher to use this in their teaching, I did so alongside 'Belonging' and the children loved it, we got so much cross-curricular work out of it and without any words - it was amazing to see the different opinions and interpretations the children and other adults had.
Anne Hamilton
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: australia-nz
A wordless book. Lovely, but it only demonstrates to me how much I connect with words, rather than pictures.
Evan
The preachy author's message detracts from the subtlety and eloquence of the images. An author should have some faith in his or her readers, allowing them to find meaning in the work.
Tim Dunford
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Baker's postscript to this beautiful, wordless picture book states how she, "...set out to tell the complicated issue of how we are changing the environment without even noticing it. This change is hard to see from day to day but it is nevertheless happening and happening fast." Each of the dozen or so double pages of the book show the view from the same bedroom window as the years go by and the boy who lives there grows up into a man. Baker's unusual collage images are made using a range of mat ...more
Dale Safford
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Easy book in the Children's section of the Library. I have read hundreds of books to my 8-year old granddaughter, but this one really stands out. It was fun for me and her to compare each set of pages and see how things had changed as the boy grew up. But on a totally different level, it makes a statement about how towns grow up before your eyes. well done!

A book completely without words, it shows views from a window of a boy's house every 2 years on his birthday. It changes from a farmland t
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Wombat Stew
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • The Quangle Wangle's Hat
  • Uppo-Nalle (Uppo-Nalle, #1)
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
  • Re-Zoom
  • Max
Jeannie Baker is the author-illustrator of a number of children’s picture books, including the critically celebrated Mirror and the award-winning Where the Forest Meets the Sea. Born in England, she now lives in Australia.