Start by marking “Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)” as Want to Read:
Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)

Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden #8)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  10,436 Ratings  ·  425 Reviews
Small-town Georgia librarian Aurora Teagarden finds her stepsister-in-law, Poppy, dead on the kitchen floor...and must sift through the sordid details of her relative's life to find the killer. This is the eighth novel in Charlaine Harris' lighthearted Aurora Teagarden mystery series; it follows Last Scene Alive (Worldwide Mystery, 12/03). Her Worldwide Mystery novels aver ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Worldwide Library (first published January 1st 2003)

Stephanie
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: no one
I am very not happy with this series now, and it's author. What a complete waste of time, reading through it all.

Harris decided a few novels ago, that the reason Roe could not have children with her husband (at the time) Martin, was because she has a "deformed uterus". Roe was understandably upset.
A novel or two later, it was described as "malformed", and Martin had died. Another novel later, Roe could date, and eventually sleep with, former boyfriend Robin, the writer who had left for Ca. at t
Jim
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
About the same as the other books in this series, but the plot just wasn't up to snuff. Light, fun reading. A likable character who just seems to have murders going on around her. This one might have been a bit more complex & better EXCEPT I thought the cover was a spoiler & it was! That's just wrong. The cover of my edition showed Aurora (view spoiler) ...more
The Flooze
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fitting end(?) to the series. Although I read the rest of the books back in 2009, I found it incredibly easy to fall back into Aurora's world. Charlaine Harris has a knack for creating eccentric, memorable characters. It took but a moment for me to remember the gossip about the various inhabitants of Lawrenceton and I was pleased to catch up on the latest news.

There were a few plot threads left hanging, making me hope that Ms. Harris visits Roe in the future. Perhaps a short story allowing us
Jonathan
Originally, I had saved this book until right before All the Little Liars came out, because I wanted to read them close together. Well, I got caught up in other books and this one just slipped my mind, but when I went to a bookstore the other day and saw it, I knew I had to pick it up (Especially since All the Little Liars has been out for a year, and Sleep Like a Baby is almost out!). I am sure glad I did it, because I forgot how good these were!

The thing I love most about these books is the wa
Syrdarya
Dec 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am glad this is the last in the series. Each book and the series in general has been rather uneven and seemed a bit experimental. Experimentation can be a good thing, but far too often the way these books were written rubbed me the wrong way.

In some of the earlier books I could see Aurora trying to emulate Sally Jesse Raphael by having brightly colored eyeglass frames, but this book came out in 2003, and Aurora was still doing it. The ridiculous way Aurora had several pairs of glasses and wou
Heidi
Dec 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was the proverbial last straw, breaking my support of this author. You know, I *enjoyed* the Sookie Stackhouse books, even though the writing was poor and the plots were flimsy. I raced through the Harper Connelly books, even though they were, well, ridiculous. The Lily Bard and Aurora Teagarden books have just done me in though.

I've struggled through this particular series, put off by unlikeable characters, plots implausible even for a mystery serial, a writing style less developed t
Catherine Noordenbos
Jun 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
I can't believe this is the same author who wrote the Sookie Stackhouse series. The Aurora Teagarden series is absolute trash. There are so many inconsistencies within the stories and there are gaping holes in the plot of each novel. The main character herself is one of the most annoying characters I have ever encountered in a book. She is supposedly 29 (if I remember right) when the series begins and 35 when it ends, but she acts more like 65. She is incredibly whiny, self-centered and shallow ...more
Dlora
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
I like these cozy murder mysteries by Charlaine Harris. Her Sookie Stackhouse series about vampires have made her much more famous. I suspect that the supernatural setting is more intriguing to readers (I like them too), but I enjoy the small-town natural setting of these Aurora Teagarden mysteries. I've read all eight of the series so far. Aurora is a librarian and I have enjoyed watching her fictional life unfold, with mysteries to solve, romances to agonize over, murderers to catch, and corre ...more
Julie H.
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I'd recently read the first two or three books in the series, and when I came across this one in a stack somewhere picked it up. Big mistake. Don't jump from book #3 in the series to book #8. Huge things change. In fact, the protagonist Roe Teagarden, who finally seemed to grow a spine by book #3 is back to her mamby-pamby second-guessing. (Dear god, is she really a 105-year old woman in a 30-year old's body?!) It was gaggingly cliched, and with the trite way it ended I will not be able to read ...more
Kim
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, after reading the whole series I finally have given one 4 stars. 4 for an interesting plot, 4 for well developed characters and 4 for best improved writing. I hope there are more Aurora Teagarden's to come. Now, it still drives me nuts that she calls her step-sibling a "brother-in-law" half of the time. Where's the editor? This series got me through a five day flu and I thank Ms Harris for keeping me company.
Lauren
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aurora sister-in-law is killed and of course Aurora's the First on scene and the first to investigate. I do not understand Aurora's ability to stumble upon murders or why she always insists on hiding and taking evidence and then wondering why cases are not solved as quickly. I did like where the personal storyline went between her and her boyfriend as well as her brother coming back.
Becky
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: us-states-2017
This is the first Aurora Teagarden book and it is book #8 in the series. I didn't feel confused by not reading the other books. After seeing that the Hallmark Mystery Channel has several Aurora Teagarden movies, I was curious enough about Aurora to finally grab a book that was on sale. I enjoyed this easy reading book with characters whose other adventures I am adding to my TBR lists.
Kelly-Marie
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Such a good series. Love these books.
Angela
Ishtar
La verdad, me ha decepcionado que este sea el final de la serie de libros de Roe. El misterio no me ha gustado nada y tampoco lo ha hecho Roe, la protagonista, que si en el libro anterior parecía que iba a volver a ser ella misma en este no está tan claro.

(view spoiler)
Ed
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
#8 in the Aurora 'Roe' Teagarden series. This cliffhanger ending 2003 series entry is the last to date (Jan-2016), but there appears to be a #9 scheduled for Oct-2016. This entry deals with the murder of Roe's step-sister-in-law Poppy and has a lot of sleuthing by Roe and her other S-S-I-L, Miranda. Some deep, dark secrets are unearthed but the entry is not as dark as #6, A Fool and His Honey (1999). After returning to Lawrenceton , #7 Last Scene Alive (2002), writer Robin Crusoe who left town, ...more
Brooke
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
There is a club in Lawrenceton called the Uppity Women Book Club, not everyone gets to join, but Roe's stepsister-in-law, Poppy, is finally at the top of the waiting list to get in. But Poppy doesn't show up to the induction meeting leaving Roe very upset with her, because she had to cover for her. When Roe goes to Poppy's house to give her a piece of her mind, she finds Poppy dead and she's been that way for sometime. The worst part about Poppy's death is all the rumors that start flying about ...more
Tatiana
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Aurora’s step-sister-in-law Poppy is found dead in her own kitchen. Roe is trying to find out who could have done it. Her investigation uncovers multiple dark secrets in Poppy’s life.

This book in my opinion is the best Aurora Teagarden mystery. The writing style is extremely close to the one in the first books in the series and it is very pleasant to get back to it. Mystery is captivating and keeps you guessing until the very end. Once again the book is filled with small town gossip and secrets.
Helene Harrison
Serena DeNardo
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I always expect a series to end with a bang or a nice little bow. No matter how they end I always feel like there should be more. I cant deny I’ll be curious as to what happens to Roe next – however, the idea that she would find yet another dead body or find herself in the middle of yet another murder mystery in the middle of this small southern town is quite preposterous. So – yes, it was nice run of a series but surely it had to end. I really liked getting to know Roe & see her change over ...more
Jennifer Hill
Jun 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016-books
Brittany
May 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
If all the books in this series were like this one, I'm very glad I happened to pick up the last one. This book was kind of stupid and the ending was so completely ridiculous and simple that I almost can't take it. Having read all the Sookie Stackhouse books and knowing what a great writer Harris can be, I'm kind of confused by how silly this book was. Although, considering how crappy the Sookie series ending was, I guess I'm not surprised.
Ellen
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
I picked out the murderer as soon as s/he appeared on the page. Then I kept waiting for the character to be introduced again...and waiting, and waiting. An author needs to drop a few more clues or it's a rigged game.

Poppy herself, a man magnet with a buried past, was worth reading about, especially when man after respectable man owned up to loving her. But I'm glad that Charlaine Harris got better as she kept writing (so often it's the other way around.)
Kelly Shuttlewood
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just reread this whole series and I can safely say I really wanted aurora to be the one that died!
Also doesn't anyone in this town show concern for STD's?! Forget the sanctity of marriage, how about simple health concerns?

More of roe feeling sorry for herself, more of apparently every man in town wanting to sleep with her. Honestly her name should be Mary Sue, not aurora.

Charlaine Harris needs to limit her series to 4 books at most IMO.
Carolyn James
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
What an awful way to end a series!!! Problems that have been the main issue magically fix themselves, we are forced to care about the death of someone I frankly can't remember being of any importance before this book, and let's not open up how lukewarm her relationship with Robin was. Bland; boring as dry toast. This series could have been saved if things ended with Last Scene Alive but Harris instead choose to squeeze out one more formulaic book for a paycheque. Super disappointed.
Kribu
Lots of stuff, really, that one has to willingly suspend disbelief over, but that tends to be the case with many a cosy mystery.

Anyway, this last book in the Aurora Teagarden series was neither outstandingly good nor particularly bad - having already read the first seven, I went into it with certain expectations, and more or less got what I expected, so a solid three stars it is.
Kristina Hoerner
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the last book in this series and, frankly, I'm glad it is finished. It is not the author's best work. I find the main character too sanctimonious. In this one, Roe discovers her stepsister-in-law murdered and her teenage brother shows up on her doorstep unannounced. Good riddance Aurora.
Lisa
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely conclusion story to the Aurora Teagarden mystery series. It of course had a good murder mystery to solve, but I most enjoyed how her life came together and she figured out a number of things about herself. She also saw how her needs in a relationship were evolving -- very cool. :)
Deanne
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
The sort of mystery that keeps you entertained on a wet Sunday morning. Fun characters and a number of threads to the story. Add a few red herrings and misdirection and then give things away right at the end. It's not Miss Marple but I like Aurora and hope there are more stories to come.
Carol
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Glad this was the end of the series. Started out pretty good, but each novel was worse than the last. I see why she switched to fantasy. She was so inconsistent and the mystery was secondary to the juvenile romances Roe found over and over again. Had some moments early on, but few in this one.
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Decaffeinated Corpse (Coffeehouse Mystery, #5)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Love is Murder (Daytime Mystery, #1)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)

“People stubbornly lived their lives as they wanted, without regard to me, to an amazing degree.” 0 likes