Start by marking “Guardian of the Dawn (The Sephardic Cycle, #3)” as Want to Read:
Guardian of the Dawn (The Sephardic Cycle, #3)

Guardian of the Dawn (The Sephardic Cycle #3)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  357 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In an age of faith and fire
In a land of many gods
A journey of survival is about to begin.…

In his acclaimed novels Hunting Midnight and The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon, Richard Zimler has spun luminous historical fiction from the experience of the Jews of the Iberian Peninsula. Spanning decades and continents, his new novel is set in the lush world of colonial India during the
Published July 26th 2005 by Delta (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Guardian of the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardian of the Dawn

Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: richard-zimler
One the best books I ever read!
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sandra Paixão Ferreira
Adorei o livro!

A história escrita por Richard Zimler retrata-nos a cidade de Goa, sob o domínio de Portugal, nessa altura integrado no Império Espanhol, e de outros territórios indianos, no final do século XVI, de uma forma tão absorvente, que nos faz transportar para essa época como se, de facto, lá estivéssemos estado.

A Santa Inquisição, que de nada tinha de "Santa", chegou a todos os territórios ultramarinos dominados pelos portugueses, sendo impiedosa com todas as outras crenças religiosas,
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Books that can make me cry have a special place in my heart. You'll hate the protagonist sometimes but you'll also feel sorry for him and would like to protect him. And that's true for many of the characters. It is a sad book but beautiful.The kinds that get etched into your memory and haunt you at nights.
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think Zimler is a great writer, though I don't think this book matches up against the Last Kabbalist, Warsaw Anagrams or the Seventh Gate. This is perhaps the most depressing book I have ever read, and what the Inquisition does to the narrator is almost unbearable. Still, the writing is very strong, and it is a page turner.
So far, the best-written fictional story I've come across that's set in 16th century colonial Goa. The reason I've only given it a 3-star rating is that I struggled at times to keep reading because the language slowed me down.
César Lasso
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
My rating: 3.5 stars.
The book manages to keep intrigue and shows how the inquisitorial system and society might have broken a life, and the protagonist's reaction to that reality.
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book , this book made me cry
Joana Almeida
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
simplesmente fantástico :'(
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Not as good as The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon, but still really interesting to learn about the Inquisition in India.
Ana Paula
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I ever read. Caught my attention from the first to tle last page.
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Astounded. Hard to know what to think of it at this stage.
Superbly researched and written it is a tale of a 16thC world which was.
Actively invoking, in literary form, the Merchant-Ivory film production 'Shakespeare Wallah' later by some 450 years.
The images will not cease when the cover is closed or that telling of a tale is so richly told.
India with its own compelling lives, and ability to absorb spiritual diversity meets the compulsion of the Inquisition and the Portuguese importers of religio
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
For a book set in 16th century India the writing style was far too modern.
Nitya Sivasubramanian
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3star
Consider it a childhood perversion of mine that has lived on into my adulthood, but I have always been far more interested in so-called villains in stories than in heroes. Ravan has always tickled my fancy more than Ram, and I'd rather spend an evening in conversation with Iago than Othello. So this story appeals to me simply by telling the tale of how an innocent young man turns his hand to cruelty. In the strictest sense though, Ti is more Edmond Dantes than Patrick Bateman, and the story take ...more
I came to this novel after reading the author's excellent Warsaw Anagrams and sadly I was a bit disappointed. I did learn quite a lot about 16th Century Goa, India and the Portuguese Roman Catholic Inquisition that was used to suppress all other local faiths, but it was at times very slow. I also felt that the character of Tiago often seemed somewhat 20th Century in his expressed views and philosophy. However, I did greatly enjoy it in parts, just not throughout and certainly not as much as his ...more
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I had no idea what the Inquisition was up to in Goa and this book was a real eye opener. Similar to Othello in many ways, although Zimler does mention he's drawn comparisons.
The subject is handled sensitively and the reader's attention is held by the fast pace.
A recommended read for anyone interested in this period.
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
A novel against the backdrop of the Portuguese Inquisition in 16th century Goa sounds fascinating. Unfortunately, in Zimler's hands, what emerges is a ponderous and often overly serious work that shifts gear suddenly in the last section to become a faster-paced tale of machinations and murder, a la Othello. Sad.
Rosa Barroco
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes a full book to figure out who are the good and the bad ones until we find out there are no good or bad ones... (I would say just like in the life of most of us!)
Fantastic story. Amazingly well-written. Sometimes really heavy to read (I therefore alternated it a very "easy reading" book).
Extremely sad! It really brook my heart and still I could not stop reading.
Paula Leal de matos
A tragedy set in Goa in the time of the inquisition. Exquisitely told, it transported me to India, to its peoples, smells, foods, atmosphere,cultures and religions. I felt the emotions, fears, love and the hate of the main characters. Magnificent!
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Gostei mesmo muito. É mais 4.5 do que 4.
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Better than the second in the trilogy. Visits a descendant of the first protagonist in Goa caught up in the inquistion on the Indian continent
giselle r fonseca
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Na sequencia do Richard Zimmler sobre a família Zarco esse não foi o melhor livro, mas ainda assim, vale a leitura. Entretanto, "O último cabalista de Lisboa" ainda é o ganhador.
Book with the historical background of the Portuguese inquisition in Goa - regarded as the worst inquisition in history...plot was ok, but the ending was loosely executed.
Dec 16, 2008
Aug 25, 2014
Jul 20, 2012
Aug 09, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • De Profundis, Valsa Lenta
  • A Escrava de Córdova
  • O Homem de Constantinopla (Kaloust Sarkisian, #1)
  • Crónica dos Bons Malandros
  • Em Teu Ventre
  • Mundo del fin del mundo
  • Os Pilares da Terra, Volume I
  • Nação Crioula
  • The Last Will & Testament of Senhor da Silva Araújo
  • Equador
  • Enchantress: A Novel of Rav Hisda's Daughter
  • In Ishmael's House: A History of Jews in Muslim Lands
  • Enquanto Salazar Dormia...
  • La herencia de Eszter
  • A Filha do Papa
  • El taller de los libros prohibidos
  • O Labirinto de Água
  • De broodjesroofverhalen
Richard Zimler was born in Roslyn Heights, a suburb of New York City, in 1956. After earning a bachelor's degree in comparative religion from Duke University (1977) and a master's degree in journalism from Stanford University (1982), he worked for eight years as a journalist, mainly in the San Francisco Bay area. In 1990, he moved to Porto, Portugal, and he has taught journalism for the last sixte ...more
More about Richard Zimler...

The Sephardic Cycle (4 books)
  • The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon (The Sephardic Cycle, #1)
  • Hunting Midnight (The Sephardic Cycle, #2)
  • The Seventh Gate

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys