Start by marking “Meet the Barkers: Morgan & Moffat Go to School” as Want to Read:
Meet the Barkers: Morgan & Moffat Go to School

Meet the Barkers: Morgan & Moffat Go to School (Barker Twins)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The Barker twins, Morgan and Moffat, are so excited. They are about to start school for the first time. Moffie knows all the colors (and gets a gold star) and Morgie makes a friend. Moffie knows all the numbers (and gets another gold star). But she needs a friend, and with a little help from Morgie, she makes one. Then Morgie shows he knows the names of the dinosaurs (and ...more
Published July 9th 2001 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Meet the Barkers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet the Barkers

The Bougie Twins
Great book for twins and their relationship as a twin.
Shannon
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
This could have been a cute story, but I did not like how the author made it seem as though kids could either make friends or do well in school, but not both. "But Moffie hadn't made any friends. She had been too busy getting gold stars." Instead of focusing on the fact that Moffie knew all the answers and was getting gold stars, the author should have stressed more that she was speaking out of turn and being rude to her classmates. Instead it seems as though being smart is the problem. That is ...more
Michelle
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good book to read before starting school.
Farah
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Salah satu dari bukunya Tomie de Paola tentang seri The Barkers. Gue suka sama the Barkers ini. Kalo ngga salah, seri the Barkers pertama yang gue baca adalah yang satu lagi (gue cuma baca 2, jadi gue ngga tahu sebenernya The Barkers ini ada berapa seri..)

Ceritanya tentang si kembar yang sibuk menyiapkan diri mau ke sekolah. Repot-repot beli perlengkapan sekolah, dan hari-hari pertama mereka di sekolah.

Moffie (yang cewek) ternyata udah keliatan bakat ambisiusnya. Dia berusaha untuk selalu menjaw
Judy
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly good story. My 3 year old picked it off the shelf, but the lesson is aimed at slightly older children. In this story, Morgan and Moffat are twins. Moffie is a smart little girl who knows all of the answers and is very good at getting gold stars, but sometimes likes to act as a know-it-all. Her brother, Morgan, is more of a "go with the flow" kind of guy who loves dinosaurs and tries to avoid problems. Morgan doesn't get a lot of gold stars as school, but he has managed to ...more
Skylar Burris
Dec 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Moral: If you're openly smart, thrive on competition, and focus most of your energy on excelling academically, you won't make many friends. If you're friendly to people and share things with them and don't argue with them, and if you don't seem like too much of a know-it-all, you will make friends.

True enough, I suppose. I'm not sure my daughter got the message, however. She just wanted to know if they both earned gold stars in the end, because earning gold stars is important. Yep. Chip off the
Alex
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fun book by Tomie dePaola stars the Barkers. Morgan and Moffat are twins who are excited for their first day of school. Morgan is a friendly pup, and Moffat can be bossy and a bit of a know it all. Morgan finds it very easy to make friends, whereas Moffat finds it very easy to answer questions and get gold stars.
I loved the story by Tomie dePaola, and I loved the brother sister relationship of Morgie and Moffie. This is a very fun book to read with a good message about being well-rounded
Josiah
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Tomie dePaola has done a very good job of creating two memorable characters who, though twins, have very different personalities. These differences play out in realistic ways during the twins' time beginning in school, and the story develops in ways that are both edifying and entertaining to readers. Tomie dePaola has succeeded well in the production of this picture book.
Sarah Kasper
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dog-books
Meet the Barkers: Morgan and Moffat Go to School is about a pair of twins who are attending school for the first time and their different reactions to that experience. This story would be great to share with students, especially those who have a twin, because it explores the differences between the twins Morgan and Moffat, and that it is okay to have different reactions and feelings.
Sam
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-310
A book about twins where one is very smart and excels with book smart and the other is not as smart but is very good at making friends. They end up helping each other out at school. A good book for the students to read if they have siblings. I would recommend this book for upper level elementary students.
Mary
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, school
Wonderful story and endearing illustrations by Tomie dePaola about the Barker twins, Moffat and Morgan, beginning school. dePaola creates a heart warming brother / sister relationship that works well with his large, gentle illustrations. A great beginning for a series that leaves you wanting more.
Andrew
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
little weird
Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book chilren can read in thier spare time and can be part of a classroom library. It shows the fun things you can do in school and can help get kids excited about shcool. k-2.
Kendall
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
So cute, just like his others--the cute quality is something I find especially appealing....and his style is something I enjoy from reading his books growing up.
Susan
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: twins-multiples
We read this because my children are twins. It was a fun 'learning-to-read' book that my kids could relate to well.
Mackenzie
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
i love this book it is like me and brooke
Jacob Jasper
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i really like this book
Brian
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Another 'get ready to go to school soon' book for my Abigail. I liked the 2 'tracks' one can take: achievement of knowledge or networking for friends.
Kristen
  • First Dog
  • Minerva Louise at School
  • Rabbit's Gift
  • The Pirate of Kindergarten
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!
  • Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten
  • Six-Dinner Sid
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
  • We All Went on Safari
  • Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola

• Trouble in the Barkers' Class
  • T-Rex Is Missing!: A Barkers Book
  • Marcos Counts: One, Two, Three
  • Marcos Colors: Red, Yellow, Blue
  • Morgie's Surprise: A Story to Color (Tomie Depaola's The Barker Twins)