Start by marking “While You Are Sleeping” as Want to Read:
While You Are Sleeping

While You Are Sleeping

Being a plush toy might sound like an easy job, but when a newcomer joins their group, the bedside toys show him everything that goes into taking care of a child while he is sleeping. Every night, they make sure that he isn?t too hot or too cold, and that he stays safely in his bed. They chase away bedbugs and bad dreams. And on Christmas Eve they have the very important ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Farrar Straus and Giroux (first published April 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about While You Are Sleeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about While You Are Sleeping

Start your review of While You Are Sleeping
Abigail
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children Who Enjoy Tales About Their Toys' Nighttime Adventures
In this third picture-book from English children's author and artist Alexis Deacon - the first two were Slow Loris and Beegu - a child's stuffed animals come to life at night, and perform many important tasks in protecting her, before reverting to their motionless state, just before she awakens in the morning. From crushing bed bugs (thankfully not depicted!) to adjusting the girl's covers, depending on whether she is too warm or cold, the toys make sure that their young human charge sleeps ...more
Gabby
Oh what a lovely book. The illustrations are so amazing and there is so much discussion and predictions to be made throughout. I think I would to spend time on the front cover saying what the children see, what they think and what they wonder about the book. I also love the fact that the first page opens up with a question as I would love to here the answers it provokes. The pictures really do speak a thousand words.
Amy
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
In this tender bedtime story by Alexis Deacon, children learn about the important job that their stuffed animals have. After the child is fast asleep, the toys come to life to watch over and keep her safe. When a new toy comes to the bedside, they must teach him the ropes. Especially for a very important night, when Santa comes!

There are many modern and classic elements to this imaginative story. The illustrations look like they are done in charcoal, which makes the smudgy edges dreamy. Alexis
Laura's Book Addiction
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter brought this book home from her school library and it’s such a lovely tale. We had to read it three times in a row!!
Adele
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
This picture book is not as overtly creepy as I Am Henry Finch or Place to Call Home. No this is more insidious. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking about Stephen King's Charlie the Choo-Choo: From the world of The Dark Tower. Like that book, at first glance this looks like an ordinary children's book, but it doesn't take long to recognize the evil just below the surface. The scariest picture is the stuffed "toys" with their blank, solid black, demon eyes waiting to be "absolutely ...more
Julian
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While you are sleeping is a story about the stuffed animals "duties" when a child is sleeping at night. This fun and imaginative story gives life to the stuffed animals and shows everything they do to make sure the girl has a good nights rest. In this book the girl who sleeps never actually sees the toys doing these things but she still loves them all the same. This story is a creative way to give a reason why children have stuffed animals.

In my opinion, this book is really well done. The story
Naomi
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
An adorable story about what stuffed animals do when the kidlets are asleep. I think it can be a wonderful story for kids who are afraid to go to bed alone at night. The illustrations really stood out in this book.
Siobhan O' Sullivan
Feb 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this one, the illustrations are a little frightening and it seems like a horror book for kids!
Ruby Khan
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I really like how the use of anthropomorphism has been used to give the toys a parental and caring persona. There are endless opportunities for prediction in this text. It is also a great way to spark children's imaginations with something they have probably already thought about- I used to dream about my bedtime toys coming alive and having their own little personalities. There is no doubt that children will be engaged by the story of 'alive' stuffed toys!
Abi
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely one that will get children's imaginations whirring, especially when we all (secretly) hope that our favourite toys wake up when we are sleeping! Beautiful illustrations and lovely story to read as a class and independently.

Could be used as a stimulus to write own short stories on children's choice of toy/object.
Susan
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Stuffed animals relate what they do for their boy during the night to help him sleep. I don't care much for art, and the language is common to Britain, which makes it a bit less useful in the US. And I hope the kid doesn't encounter bed bugs!
Ana Jackson
Nov 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
A nice message behind the text but also very strange- not sure it’s one for me.
Ruth
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book didn't do it for me, didn't quite see the point.
Gemma Goodwin
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favourite childrens books. It actually puts a lump in my throat.
Elena Caballero
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about how little toys that wake up at night to take care of children. They are supposed to look like night workers. It explains to readers that if children are sick, having bad dreams or too cold, they will be there for us. In the end, they toys got back to their same spots and got ready to play again. This book has a lot of meaning and imagination.

I loved this book, it's so cute and reminded me of when I was a little girl and how I would always sleep with so many toys on my bed. I
Emily Sands
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a cute way to tell children about the different time zones and about diversity around the world. It is a great intro book, the flaps that are used throughout the book give an amazing interactive feel to the story. On each page of the story it relates to the other that is occurring in a completely different part of the world. One would show a night view and the other a day view. The illustrations are simple and fluid. The weakness of the book however is that they are doing different ...more
Saba N  Taylor
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Spend a night with a group of bedside toys as they show a new toy the ropes of caring for their kid.

This story can go two ways.....

1) Good. Comfort a child who is nervous about sleeping alone. The toys in the story show how they care and protect their child during their sleep.

2) Terrifying. Scare a child who is nervous about sleeping alone. The story only goes on to confirm that scary things do happen when they go to sleep. What is scarier than an inanimate object coming to life, even if it is
Jenilyn Willis
I really liked this book and thought it was very sweet. It's about what stuffed animals do while you're asleep and how they protect you and love you. I really enjoyed it because it was almost Toy Story-esque in the way that it talks about how your stuffed animals really love you and care about you. It's also relatable to children because a lot of them probably sleep with stuffed animals, and it's comforting to think about how they could care about you and watch after you.
Ryan
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The plot of this book it is some what like the movie toy story. During the day the toys lay still, but at night they come out and take care of their owner. If their owner has a bad dream they scare it away, if they are sick they take care. I chose t because I loved the illustrations in this book. They seem to have been done with oil pastels. I would like to use this book in a 1st grade setting. I think a, what I see, what i think, what I wonder activity would be perfect for this book.
Danielle
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a sucker for this kind of book in part because the ending brings some tears.

It's such a mix of strange and sweet. Strangest to me is the duty the bedside toys feel, that their work of protecting the sleeping child is a bit laborious, but worth it.

A nice way to imagine our much loved stuffed animals keep kids safe as they sleep.
Kids also get to peek into what sleep is like, how sometimes it's uncomfortable, but it will pass.
Shelli
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This would be a fantastic book to give a small child, especially if it is given with a lovable stuffy. Alexis Deacon created a perfect bedtime tale to assuage nervous hearts and minds. Children who worry about monsters and all things that go bump in the night will be reassured when they see how busy their stuffed toys are working to keep them safe and snug in their beds. Fantastically illustrated and super sweet! I absolutely loved it and your little ones will too.
Rod Brown
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A creepy take on Toy Story. Thank goodness for the brave little lion who steps up on his first night as a bedtime toy.

I read a bunch of Alexis Deacon books this week because I was blown away by his graphic novel Geis: A Matter of Life and Death. His picture books aren't nearly as good, with this odd duck being the best of the lot.
Tasneem  Zafer
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I wouldn't much like the idea of having my still-as-stone-stuffed-animals get up at night, shake their heads, God and stretch their weary legs and oh lord above Talk!!!
That would scare the HECK outta me! And make me give 'em all away to whoever wants them for FREE!

The drawings are pretty nice though!
Becca
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
While You Were Sleeping gives preschool age and Kindergarten children hope and wonder about their stuffed animals. It will make them smile and think about what goes on in their room while they are asleep. They may write about their animals and talk about them and want to bring them in, which is a great opportunity for writing activities and prompts.
Evan
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I liked when they came up and protect him from evil nightmares. And I liked when they were making sure he was asleep because Santa or someone might come in the house and give you something they didn't want you to know.

I might sneak up and give you a present.
Sharn Dhah
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
The idea is cute, bringing to life stuffed animals who watch over a child while she sleeps. But there is a menacing undertone, and some of the pictures are a little creepy. It's too easy to imagine them doing her harm instead of protecting her.
Aranruth
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The story should be sweet, but the illustrations give it a sinister, menacing feel.
Claudia
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations (as with all Alexis Deacon books!) and lovely heart warming story.
The Brothers
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: toys, sleeping
A cute story about a group of bed-side toys who keep a little girl happy and healthy while she sleeps.

Ethereal illustrations - sort of.
Thuraya Batterjee
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
i valued the illustrations more than the script
you could feel how much the toys cares and love the sleeping girl.

• Grandad's Island
  • Not Now, Bernard
  • The Red Tree
  • The Troll
  • Nature All Around: Trees
  • Hello, Tilly (Tilly and Friends)
  • Flat Stanley (Flat Stanley, #1)
  • The Pencil
  • Edwardo the Horriblest Boy in the Whole Wide World
Alexis Deacon is an acclaimed author and illustrator. Beegu and Jitterbug Jam, both of which he illustrated, were named as New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Books of the Year. He lives in London.