Start by marking “Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News” as Want to Read:
Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News

Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  2,011 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
In his nearly thirty years at CBS News, Emmy Award winner Bernard Goldberg earned a reputation as one of the preeminent reporters in the television news business. When he looked at his own industry, however, he saw that the media far too often ignored their primary mission: to provide objective, disinterested reporting. Again and again he saw that the news slanted to the l ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 232 pages
Published February 25th 2001 by Regnery Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Bias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bias

Rob
Aug 26, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not that impressive. Liberal media my ass. If the media is liberally biased, why is America so conservative? Who's watching the news? Is it influencing them? It would appear that nobody is, or that it has no impact.

By the way, his big example of bias is that conservatives are introduced as such, while liberals are not labeled. C'mon, gimme a break.

I'm rambling. It's late. And Bernie Goldberg is a douche.
Jenny
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me to understand that the liberal bias I see in the news/Hollywood (which I always assumed was common knowledge but I guess not, judging by the Goodreads reviews of this book) is not the result of a massive left-wing conspiracy. Reporters tend to be very liberal, and so they actually see the news from a very liberal perspective. That was comforting, but at the same time depressing.

I got fired up about many parts of the book.

The acceptability of lambasting men on the news, the s
Joe
Aug 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Bernie Goldberg is such a tragic hero. It's so tough to be a wealthy white man in America these days. "President Bush touched my book!" What a dick. Basically this book is hilarious. I'd like to say that it's worth reading for the comedic value, but that's not true. Only read this book if you must and even then, don't buy it. Get it from the library or steal it from a used book store. They probably have plenty. One phrase sums it all up: "The myth of heterosexual aids." You truly are a comedian, ...more
Christian D.  Orr
The MSM can't handle the truths this book reveals!

"BIAS" by Bernard Goldberg

God bless Bernie Goldberg for having the balls and the chutzpah to write this OutSTANding book. A longtime veteran of the mainstream candidate (who "never voted for a Republican for president in my life!") with the courage and audacity to admit--and expose--what his fellow MSM types were to loath to admit: that, yes Virginia, the MSM *is* liberally biased, no matter how much they try to deny it.

Of course, Mr. Goldberg's
Kevin Kirkhoff
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Bernard Goldberg spent twenty-eight years as a reporter for CBS. His book shows how the media unintentionally impose a liberal bias when reporting the news. He is quick to point out that for non-social issues like plane crashes or September 11 the media does a superb job. The bias comes out in their coverage of social issues. Several reasons support this feeling.

- A large majority of the press are Democrats compared with around 20% of the general population.

- When getting opinions on various new
Kathryn
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book rocked. I checked it out from the library but found myself wishing I could highlight my favorite paragraphs, which were often enlightening and/or highly entertaining.

For me, I particularly enjoyed the book because it acknowledged things I always thought were odd about the news but thought I was the only one imagining things, and also because it explained why the author believed certain phenomena occurred. I also enjoyed getting the "insider" scoop on a wide range of topics, like how th
Rebecca
As the author says, the liberal bias in the MSM is so obvious that it's hardly worth talking about anymore. What is worth talking about is the fact that this book was not written by yet another conservative yowling about the unfairness of it all, even if it's a real problem; it's written by a moderate who damaged his own career telling the truth. He was an insider who spoke out, rather than an outsider critiquing something he was never a part of.

He does a good job of mixing his own personal stor
Jen
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-picks
I couldn't agree more with the statements and proof in this book.
Valerie
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jbb-book
Archived from http://web.archive.org/web/2003012613...

Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg

A review of this controversial book demands full disclosure, and I'll freely admit my views lean leftward. So I fully expected to be challenged and provoked by this expose of allegedly prevalent liberal bias in television news by a retired Emmy-winning CkBS reporter. But that was not what happened at all. Alternate titles for "Bias" could be "Bernard Goldberg: Why D
Carol
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this was written years ago, it still holds true today. The main-stream media is so biased, they don't even know it anymore. It teaches me to not look for news from any one source and not trust the media. Great expose.
Jacob Burgess
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realizing that I had forgot that the book check for my College Prep Read Write class was on Monday, and today was Monday I was forced to pick a book off of Mrs. Riggs’s shelf. I found myself inspecting the worn cover of Bias, “A CBS Insider Eposes How the Media Distorts the News.” I had picked a non-fiction book about news 1980 to present, I was fairly displeased about the nature of my selection. I realized not long after that, that my initial misgivings were unfounded as to prove the cliché aph ...more
Jeanette
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Some of the chapters were insider bilge and personality explosion which did little to enhance a professional style. But the questions and examples raised in several chapters, especially the hate language and character attack portions were 4 star. One example that he gives I actually hear myself on a PBS news program, with absolutely no reaction by the "learned" support panel or inquirer. I was horrified that a death wish could have been answered with that kind of silence.

The media, on tv especia
Curtis Chamberlain
Wow! Goldberg has guts, man!

What a horrifying look at what really happens to our news before we get it! Bernard Goldberg puts his "finger on the nose" of the media elite, and calls them out for what most of us would consider treasonous crimes against the United States of America.

I dare say that once you read "Bias," you will never watch the evening news again without having to raise an eyebrow of suspicion!

Fantastic truth-telling book! I rate it 100 stars!!!
Ken
Jun 02, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who would consider hiring Goldberg for a job requiring integrity, honesty or accuracy.
The author is a whining publicity artist masquerading as a journalist. He clearly has no experience in investigative journalism and is more concerned with his absurd version of 'conventional wisdom' than truth or accuracy.

The fact he got a second book shocks me completely.
Tim
Feb 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Laughably out of touch, full of irony and narcissism. Also wrong.
Larry Killion
BIAS by Bernard Goldberg

Bernie states the obvious in this book. The book is ten years old and although the truth of it is generally seen in all quarters, even today it is still ignored or denied by Bernie’s old friends in the main stream media. Goldberg himself confesses that he has been a lifetime voter on the left side of the ticket. As a journalist however, he is willing to speak out regarding the fact that a liberal bias is the mindset of most of our media elite. He tried many times to show
Lauren
May 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm cynical, but Goldberg's assertion that the media distort the news seems self-evident. There's no way to be completely impartial in anything we say or do: our words or actions are colored by our attitudes and experiences. Journalists may delude themselves that their reporting will be neutral, but this reality is impossible to sustain. Goldberg's Bias, A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News is filled with excellent examples of media leanings towards the left or the right, ...more
Emily
Oct 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Bernard Goldberg is a former CBS news correspondent who argues that the media has a liberal bias. He wrote an article in the Wall Street Journal that accused the networks of tilting left, and of course it infuriated Dan Rather and other CBS folks. He provides convincing examples that date back to the 80s, but I think he over-generalizes to prove his point.

Parts of the book are funny, but there’s a LOT of repetition. Some of the same quotes are even repeated. Some of the same quotes are even repe
Carol
Sep 17, 2007 added it
Suggested to read with: Attack Poodles and the Other Media Mutants: The Looting of the News in a Time of Terror

A liberals eye view of the media and conservatives one, respectively. Each book offers insights into how the news works and how it is manipulated by political agendas. Wolcott is a correspondent for Vanity Fair and The New Yorker; Goldberg is a former reporter for CBS. Read them together to glimpse both sides.
Amy Walker
Sep 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are interested in reminding people of conservative bias
The book makes some interesting points about bias, but the author clearly has bias of his own that taints much of the book's usefulness. I think I was able to pick out 2-3 fair observations about bias in the entire book. It would have been better and more effective if he hadn't used the book as an opportunity to air his personal fights. And he points to media as being liberal while using clearly conservative issues and points- it really just undermines the solid critiques he does make.
Shelley
Read this book when I was in a book club when we lived in Anniston AL probably 6 years ago. Not being one to watch the news (too depressing) the book was a big surprise to me that the news is so distorted to how that tv station swings to politics, not to mention many other eye openers. I still don't want the news - hahahaha.
Sarah Kathleen
Mar 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political-media
I can refute almost the entire chapter on homelessness. If I could give this book no stars I would. He doesn't source or reference anything - no endnotes, no way to verify his statements. I got halfway through and stopped.
Naomi
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I think Bernie Goldberg is a blowhard, he did make some really interesting points in this book. The topic is like the elephant in the center of the room and I love that he had the cojones to bring it to the forefront.
Adina
Aug 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WAH!!!! I got fired from my job!!! Pity me!!!! I can't believe someone actually published this book. It's basically one long rant about how unfair it was that the author got fired from CBS.
Tracy
Apr 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good intention, poorly executed.
Miles Fowler
With humor tinged with indignation, Bernard Goldberg wrote 1CBias 1D after finally being let go by CBS News after 28 years in the employ of the broadcast network 19s news department. The slow decline of his star at the network began in early 1996 when, after years of unheeded complaints to his superiors about a liberal bias in the reportage of television news at CBS, Goldberg finally decided to submit an opinion piece on the subject to the editorial page of 1CThe Wall Street Journal. 1D

In his n
Howard Ross
Pros:
-I must say that I do appreciate how Goldberg named the individuals that he was taking to task on many issues involving liberal media bias--namely Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather, Peter Jennings and powerful network executives. For that reason, I give the book one star for the naming of involved parties. I think that showed nerve to put his neck on the line to bring awareness to an unpopular topic. After reading this book, I have a totally different view of Dan Rather. Perhaps a loss of respect for
Johnny Nguyen
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bernard Goldberg, a longtime reporter for CBS news gives his accounts on how dissenting viewpoints in major network news stations are silenced because they do not align with the media elites' beliefs. Goldberg provides firsthand accounts and sound evidence to his claims. It's important to note that Goldberg argues not that a liberal viewpoint is wrong but that excluding differing views on topics, and fostering public discussion because of it, is. He also speaks on the hypocrisies of media elites ...more
Bruce
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction

"Frantic orthodoxy is never rooted in faith but in doubt". --Reinhold Niebuhr

This book is 15 years old, so a bit dated, but it still hits the mark in identifying and analyzing the liberal political bias in much of the mainstream media. He characterizes the double standards not as conspiratorial but as cultural, reflecting the personal opinions and slants of the TV newsroom community in decisions about what stories to cover, what to skip, and what language and framing to use. Many reporters got i
Dan
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
"Bias" gives many irrefutable, concrete examples of the always-denied media bias, especially in network news. The fact that this bias has grown to absurd extremes over the years since this book was written makes it a must-read. That said, the book is difficult to read at times because of the inconsistent writing style. Perhaps Goldberg frequently switches to an overly casual tone in order to avoid the impression that he is vindictive for the way CBS treated him after he blew the whistle.
Bias in the media 3 22 Aug 16, 2014 10:03AM
  • Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right
  • Dereliction of Duty
  • Shut Up and Sing: How Elites from Hollywood, Politics, and the Media are Subverting America
  • Give Me a Break: How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media...
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals
  • The Way Things Ought to Be
  • The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values
  • Useful Idiots: How Liberals Got It Wrong in the Cold War and Still Blame America First
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • Men in Black: How Judges are Destroying America
  • Outrage: How Liberals, Congress, Unions, Drug Companies, Big Oil, Banks, Lobbyists, Corporations, the United Nations, the World Bank, the INS, the TSA, and the Democratic Party Are Ripping
  • The Ten Things You Can't Say in America
  • The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You've Heard About Gun Control is Wrong
  • Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract With America
  • Black Rednecks and White Liberals
American writer, journalist, and political pundit. Goldberg has won twelve Emmy Awards during his career. He is currently a commentator for Fox News and a correspondent for HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.

From 1972 to 1974 he worked for CBS News as a producer in Atlanta; he became a reporter in 1974 and correspondent in 1976.

Goldberg frequently contributed to the CBS Evening News and CBS news