Start by marking “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 2009” as Want to Read:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 2009

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 2009

(The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen #3.3)

In Chapter Three, the narrative draws to its cataclysmic close in London 2008. The magical child whose ominous coming has been foretold for the past hundred years has now been born and has grown up to claim his dreadful heritage. His promised aeon of unending terror can commence, the world can now be ended starting with North London, and there is no League, extraordinary o ...more
Published July 10th 2012 by Top Shelf Productions, Knockabout (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Dan Trudeau
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
While I've enjoyed the post-Black Dossier LoEG work more than others I speak to, I still find myself disappointed by its conclusion. I respect Moore and O'Neil's changing of the tone from adventure to meditation on fiction and have been happy to flow with the change as it happened. I've always enjoyed walking through the world, fictional and real, from Moore's perspective.

This latest book, however, reveals his Achilles heel: satirizing modern culture despite his shallow experience in it. I under
Daniel
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Moram reci da mi se konceptualno jako svidja ideja ove mini trilogije: borba besmrtnika kroz razlicite epohe i istrazivanje kako dugacak zivot psihicki utica na ljude. Kako se ljudi menjaju, njihov pogled na svet i uopste shvatanja i zelje od samog zivota.

Ono sto mi se nije bas svidelo je sama centralna prica oko antihrista itsd. Nekako mi je to sve neozbiljno prikazano od pocetka do kraja, mada imam utisak da je to mozda bila i poenta.

Ipak od ocajnog pocetka do odlicnog kraja mislim da ipak vre
Steven
I'm still trying to process this concluding episode of Century, as it's perhaps to most overt in terms of the things Alan Moore's on about in terms of modern pop culture and storytelling, yet at times there's also a feeling of it including a sledgehammered level of meta to get the point across, particularly with the unnerving idea that Prospero is now just Alan Moore in 3D glasses. Too, the expected references and easter eggs are more overt, clumsier, as though the more modern items aren't reall ...more
Charles Hatfield
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
More smart but acrid anti-pop from Moore and O'Neill, carrying on the mood of gloom and alienation evident in the previous two LOEG: Century volumes. In this one, the youthful Antichrist, implicitly Harry Potter, goes mano a mano with God, implicitly Mary Poppins, while the surviving agents of the League, Mina, Allan, and Orlando, look on, dazed and confused. The reigning mood is despairing; the lunges toward satirizing J.K. Rowling's Potter feel like just that; and the plot crumbles into deus e ...more
Carlos
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Aunque Moore sigue siendo Moore hasta cuando no está en su mejor momento, TLoG 1910-2009 abusa del guiño hasta llegar a lo críptico. Lo que funcionaba muy bien en la entrega original, deriva hacia un onanismo esotérico un poco cansino. 2009 es el mejor de los 3 volúmenes con referencias gloriosas a cierto mago y cierta maga de películas infantiles. Lo de esta última es para quitarse el sombrero.

Un aplauso para Kevin O'Neill, un tipo que dibuja fatal pero es 100% talento.
William
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Alan Moore has proven that he's just plain more talented and creative than thousands of artists. And 2009 isn't terrible, but it's self-indulgent and will likely appeal only to his die-hard fans, the curious, the compulsive reference-spotters...

Basically, I bought it because I love the universe and I think Moore is brilliant, but I will never recommend it because I can't guarantee any type of emotional resonance. I flip through the first two volumes of LoEG and I feel so much. Loathing, admirati
John Higgs
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
With the LoEG, the sum is greater than the parts. The cumulative effect of Moore and O'Neill's borderline insane attempt to merge the entire history of fiction into one narrative becomes increasingly mindboggling with each release. Taken on their own, however, each individual part can seem less impressive, with many of the character details, subplots or background images seemingly needing further explanation.

What's interesting about Century, however, is its theme that our imagination has become
Shawn
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well, I liked it very much - and I have to say I wasn't sure what to expect, given the super-downer ending of the previous issue and the "League reduced to one" expectations of this - I was worried it would be grim and spare and not very "adventurely", if you get my drift.

But I liked it very much. I generally avoid commenting on others' "critical" complaints (in quotes because - just because you're on the web, or even being paid, doesn't make you a critic, just critical) - but I will say that th
Voss
Forse un po' meglio dei precedenti, forse.
Il finale è un po' così, un po' cosà, nulla di che.
Abbastanza drammatico, questo sì.
Se pure non l'avessi letto non sarebbe cambiato nulla: una storia inutile, raccontata con confusione e tanta fuffa.
Peccato per i personaggi, che rimangono molto belli, persino Orlando.
Dickon Edwards
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
John Kirk
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think that Alan Moore has done some great work in the past, but I have to accept that I'm not the target audience for LoEG. These books seem to be increasingly the literary equivalent of films like "Date Movie" and "Epic Movie", i.e. they rely on the reader/viewer saying "Hey, I recognise that reference and therefore I like it!" I want more than that, e.g. a proper story. Looking back at this book after I read it, and asking myself "What actually happened?", there's only about 2 sentences wort ...more
Malapata
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Tercer volumen que cierra el tercer arco de la serie, y el primero que me ha gustado de esta tercera entrega. Estamos en el Londres de 2009, los tres restantes miembros de la Liga están dispersos y el Apocalipsis se acerca (ya era hora, vaya forma e perder el tiempo en los dos volúmenes anteriores).

Este volumen está narrado con algo más de ritmo que los anteriores (no era muy difícil) y la historia es más interesante (tampoco), aunque el final me ha parecido bastante anticlimático. Igual que en
Marc Pastor
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Semblarà una tonteria, però de moment aquest és el número que més m'ha agradat de la Lliga, fins i tot més que els dos primers, els més populars. No només perquè hi surti el Doctor fent-hi un cameo, sinó perquè hi he connectat des del primer moment. M'ho he passat molt bé llegint-lo i buscant les referències (la majoria de les quals se m'han escapat, però vaja). I la història no té res, però mola prou com per gaudir del còmic.
Variaciones Enrojo
Reseña de Jero Piñeiro para su blog "El abismo te devuelve la mirada":

Un siglo de (meta)ficción
Ya lo decía el otro día a cuento de mis tebeos favoritos de 2012: la última entrega de las aventuras de “La Liga de los Extraordinarios Caballeros” de Alan Moore y Kevin O'Neill estaba al caer. Y así ha sido. Desde esta semana puede encontrarse en las librerías españolas, de la mano de Planeta de Agostini, la conclusión de la saga “Century” bajo el subtítulo “200
Amanda Leon
If you like my reviews, check out my beauty and book blog, ReadsByAmanda.com! Thanks for reading! :)

The finale! Orlando and Mina take on the antichrist in Century 2009 who just happens to be The Boy Who Lived.

I've been disappointed with the previous two installments of the Century trilogy, (links to the reviews below) but I was pleasantly surprised by Century 2009 and how it reminded me of the first two volumes of the original series.

The league, which comprises of Orlando, Allan and Mina, is o
Andy
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is getting 3 stars rather than 2 for old times sake more than anything. I generally preferred this to the second part, maintaining a clearer structure and more simple story but it ultimately felt a let down. Spoilers ahoy.

The League has changed so much from the first two volumes that I really loved. Alan is barely in it, Mina is absent for the first half and we are left with Orlando, mostly in the female form (which I prefer). The current ancestor of Nemo is occasionally mentioned and brief
Mel
I read this through very quickly the first time as I had spent the past year quite worried about what had happened to Mina. I loved that Harry Potter was the anti-christ. I can't believe that I didn't see that coming. Given the literary basis for this series it really was so obvious I feel almost ashamed for not figuring that out! Orlando was a much better character in this. She kinda had to pull everyone together and was much less frivilous. Mina did seem quite broken which was such a shame aft ...more
James
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to lie; the simple narrative structure and relative deficit in meaningful character development makes this my least favorite of the "Century" trilogy. Important threads from the earlier volumes are wrapped up in a manner that seems more de rigueur than passionate. Important characters receive short shrift. The rhythm lacks the sort of intense, psychedelic montage that made Century 1969 so satisfying.

It's still a spellbinding book, full of subtle humor and allusions that would make
Travis
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alan Moore wraps up a story that spans a Century and redeems himself for the stumbles in the 1969 volume. Mostly by having only two references to rape and letting the good guys win.

It's 2009, Orlando is back in London, after discovering that war isn't always a fun adventure when she/ he gets a message that the League has screwed up and the Anti-christ is in London.

What to do when Orlando is not very good at having a plan, Mina is in an asylum, the government thinks they are all crazy and/or trai
Eric
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: graphic-novels
While this was not as bad as the previous volume, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969, it was a long way off from Alan Moore's best work. Worse yet, for a man that is constantly lauded for his originality, this book is incredibly derivative of the Harry Potter series -- I could be kind and say it was inspired, I suppose, but it felt derivative. Anyway, after a few dozen pages of meandering pretext, the remaining league faces down the anti-christ, the aforementioned Harry Potter c ...more
Nicholas Kaufmann
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Now this is more like it. After the wheel-spinning of Century's second installment, the third and final volume, 2009, rockets forward to the finish line. Mostly due to the fact that it's the final volume, so Moore actually has to pay attention to the plot instead of going off on his frequent masturbation-fantasy tangents. The turn of the previous century spawned far more indelible literary/pop culture characters to choose from than the turn of this century, but Moore makes due in some very amusi ...more
Alex Andrasik
(Reviewing all three volumes in the Century series)

The saga came to an overall satisfying conclusion, though as Moore moved through the decades, the literary and cultural references were increasingly lost on me. And the references are, of course, the best part of this series and the biggest reason for reading it, as the actual plots and character development are always rather thin. (I will track down a key to all the references I missed, don't worry. I know you were worried.)

I do like some of th
Amanda
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Dion Lay
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Love this series, but a real anti-climax to this story. The cameos are brilliant, loads of my favourite characters, but they're taking over from the actual story now. Artwork is still wonderful though.
Gianfranco Mancini
La trovata geniale dell'identità dell'Anticristo(il personaggio letterario più celebre degli ultimi 15 anni...)rende la storia di gran lunga superiore alla precedente (un pasticcio ai limiti dell'illeggibilità).
Moore ha comunque scritto e può scrivere molto meglio di così.
Ademption
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The caustic references to Harry Potter were the best part of the Centuries volume.
Brian
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction, m
It's clumsy, but I like it. Again, though, mostly it just makes me appreciate Unwritten even more than I already did, if that's possible.
char
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
"if our magical landscapes, our art and fairytales and fictions...if that goes bad, maybe the material world follows suit..."
Kamal
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Not Alan Moore's best work. Only mildly interesting.
Yaya
Not quite a solid 4, but it was closest to making me feel like the first two original volumes did, so I'll round it off :D
  • Gate 7, Volume 3 (Gate 7, #3)
  • Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)
  • Yu+Me: dream Volume 1
  • Doctor Who: Dr. First (Roger Hargreaves)
  • Haunt Of Horror: Edgar Allan Poe
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 1: Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Dead Boy Detectives
  • The Sword, Vol. 1: Fire
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 6
  • Gothic: Dark Glamour
  • Manifest Destiny, Vol. 3: Chiroptera & Carniformaves
  • Therefore, Repent!
  • Tag & Bink Were Here (Star Wars)
  • Nevermore (Classical Eye)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • The Doctor: His Lives and Times
  • Before Watchmen: Minutemen, #3 (Before Watchmen: Minutemen, #3)
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (5 books)
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 4: The Tempest (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #4)
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Nemo