Start by marking “Meet the Annas” as Want to Read:
Meet the Annas

Meet the Annas

In the early 1960s, the girl group The Annas ruled rock ‘n’ roll with their wild beehive hair-dos, soaring harmonies, and bad-girl attitudes. Narrated by their songwriter, Dink Stephenson, this suspenseful tale follows the rollercoaster life and mysterious death of the haunted-eyed and raven-haired lead singer, Anna Dubower. At the top of the charts, The Annas have two ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Coral Press

To ask other readers questions about Meet the Annas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet the Annas

Start your review of Meet the Annas
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Don't get me wrong, I love almost any book that involves nostalgia for the 20th century, and I also love books about music. But nothing about Meet the Annas made any sense at all. The characters and dialogue seemed out of place with the times, the writing style was flat with nothing to make it gripping or exciting, and the mystery of Anna was predictable before even the middle of the book. It was more funny than mysterious, with things such as a major character being named "Dink". O_o
Maria
Jul 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of music, murder and mystery
Robert Dunn has tapped into a new genre of fiction with his musical novels. This one has twists and turns galore and characters that are easy to fall in love with. I practically tore through it, feeling immensely gratified when it was done as if I'd just had a really terrific, yet inexpensive meal.
Jess
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
There's a scene in this book where the narrator knocks on the London hotel-room door of John Lennon and informs Lennon that the US president has been shot.

...that's about all I have to say about this book.
Emily Long
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shannon Renee
Free Friday Nookbook

1.5 really

First off, terrible cover. But I am clearing off books that I haven't read on my nook, so this seemed as good as any to start.

The Annas are/were a Diana Ross and the Supremes type of girl group from the 60s that make it big, and then end when the Beatles come. Dunn may win over people who remember this period, but I don't since I was born in 1984. I didn't get the premise of the musical novel. I didn't see it. I thought the subject has been beaten to death (and then
Karey
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
The Annas are a fictional girl band from the 60s, working and living alongside artists like The Beatles and Elvis. The book is about their rise to stardom and then eventual fall from fame. The story is historical, romantic, and mysterious all at once. It started out slowly and I had a hard time really getting into it. The story takes place in modern day but refers back to events from the 60s. The main character, Dink, spends too much time up front with his thoughts. Personally I find a lot of ...more
Jim
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I must have put this book down and restarted it at least ten times. It is well written, and I was curious about the relationships between certain characters, but it did not feel very original. It often reminded me of a movie I enjoyed, Eddie and the Cruisers. However, the movie was made much better by its sound track, and this book did not have a sound track. So basically, it is okay book, just not a book that makes me want to read more by this author.
Jean
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free Friday Nook Book. The "musical novel" is an original idea, and it mostly works in this book - the author does a good job of getting you into the 1960s rock-n-roll girl-group vibe. The failure came at the end; the story of how Anna died was weak and too offhanded. But through most of the book I was entertained and felt the narration rang true to the times.
Kristine
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book took a bit to get into. It kind of felt like a female voice coming from a male character. After about 40 pages it got its ducks in a row and started getting into the story. It was interesting and I was able to get involved with the characters but it was definitely put-downable. Wouldn't read it again, but not sorry I read it once.
Wilmina Davis
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this story of a 60's era girl group. Parts of it seemed a little overwrought, I think the reader can guess the character's big mystery long before the book reveals it, but still a very enjoyable book.
Darlene Andre
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A story set in the present, but includes a flashback to the 1960s when girl groups were the hot new trend in music. It follows a writer and a group he worked with and his quest to be proven the author of a popular song.
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story is intriguing but not adequately fleshed out beyond the friendship of the original main characters, Dink and Princess. Anna and Trudy could have been written with so much more depth and complexity. A decent beach read but not as good as I'd hoped.
Cherie Reeves
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-books
One of my free books. It was okay. Not great but okay. The girl group of the 60's the Anna's had a rapid rise to fame. And a tragic fall from fame. The book details their story of becoming sensations to troubled young ladies.
Pam
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction, ebook
It took me awhile to start reading this, but I thought it was pretty darn good. Especially for fans of early rock and roll. Robert Dunn made a good decision to write a novel based on a subject he is interested in and I am sure the his other books are equally fun.
Donna Lanclos
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Not my typical kind of book, the term "musical novel" is what caught my attention and honestly, it was a free book. BUT I found myself enjoying the walk back in time. In love music and historical fiction so the combination of the two kept my attention to the end.mm
JoAnn
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the last half of the book more than the beginning.
Juliahoney Kamenker
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good I didn't think it was going to be such a page turner
Susan
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Another nook freebie, yet better than I expected.
Capoppy
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the fouth in a series of novels tracing the history of rock'n'roll and R&B
The other titles are Pink Cadillac..Soul Cavalcade..and Cutting Time:A Novel of the Blues..
Chris
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! Don't believe the negative reviews. This one will stay with you for a long time. Great storytelling.
Cristina
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was an ok book. Nothing too special, but an easy read. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Melanie
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was an enjoyable read. It was an interesting look into the music industry.
Peggye O'Neil
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Meet the Annas chronicles the rise and fall of '60's girl group The Annas, their songwriters and their producers. The story starts in the late '90's as Dink Stephenson, one of the songwriters, goes to court to regain sole songwriting rights for his partner and himself for their '60's hits. Dink recounts the story as fame, secrets and tragedies unfold.
Cndy
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a freebie from Barnes and Noble Nook. I really liked it. Enjoyed the setting of early 60's New York and LA music scene. It was well written and I loved the characters. The book has a bit of everything - lost love, murder, mayhem and court room drama. It also really takes you into the making of a song. I have read some reviews about the cursing. I didn't find it a problem. Less cursing than what you would find on TV or on the streets or in our schools. The lead character - Dink ...more
Sheila Judson
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dink Stephenson is bringing up the dead in every way. He has filed a lawsuit claiming he and his partner, Princess Diamond were the only ones who wrote the last Anna's song "Love Will Cut You Like a Knife". But two of the players, Punky Solomon and Manny Gold, had their name on the disk all those years ago are getting royalties that dont belong to them. Anna has been dead and she held the only proof to the writing. Not only was Dink in love with Anna but so were Punky and Manny. The story takes ...more
D.s. Renzulli
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There should be a new genre for this book. It's called a musical novel, but it seems so much more than that, and I loved it, couldn't put it down. It takes you back in time when Rock and Roll was young, and people like Carole King were really into their songwriting. The main character is a songwriter, who falls in love with Anna, the lead-singer of The Annas. There is so much to this book, humor, mystery, murder, music lore. The author has a real sense of the times (note: Anna has an affair with ...more
Marisa Gonzalez
Jul 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Another ho-hum Free Friday Nook book....this one is about a songwriter in a court case for rights to a song by a girl band. It goes back and forth from the present to the 60's. There was no character development in the story. The reader never gets to know what was so "enchanting" about "Anna" the main character as her true personality is never revealed. All that's written is about is her beauty and "cat's eyes."
Beth
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer - Free Fridays ebook from B&N

Not the sort of book I usually read, while it has a trial and a mystery in the story line I am not much of a music fan. I enjoy music but don't get into the personalities involved.

This was a good story about relationships and how they change over time and what sorts of stress outside influences can be. It also shows that romantic entanglements can stay with you forever.

Good story, interesting plot twists. Not much of an ending.
Elizabeth
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Definitely not the type of book I usually read, but was avaliable as Free Friday download on my Nook. I thought the story was quite interesting and probably very accurate for the situation and time period in which it took place, but the language was so awful. While most of the language was from dialog and not the narrator, it was a major over useage of the f-word. It is sad that for some people, that is the only word they can use to express themselves.
Beth
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was ok...not the strongest book I've read in the past year or so, but better than some. Lots of going back and forth in time, and it wasn't always clear what was going on with that (probably more glaring because I read this directly after Cleave's "Gold" which goes back and forth but, at least for me, was easier to follow). Still, an enjoyable read.
Robert Dunn is a writer, teacher, and musician. He has published widely, including work in the New Yorker and an O. Henry Prize story, as well as the musical novels Pink Cadillac (a Book Sense 76 pick), Cutting Time, Soul Cavalcade, Meet the Annas, Look at Flower, and Stations of the Cross.

Dunn has worked for the New Yorker magazine and Sports Illustrated, as well as teaching fiction writing at