Start by marking “Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #3)” as Want to Read:
Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #3)

Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar

(Tales of Valdemar #3)

An original short fiction anthology set in Mercedes Lackey's bestselling world of Valdemar-featuring heroic Heralds and their horselike companions-and including an all-new novella by Lackey herself, as well as stories by other masters of the fantasy genre.

This anthology includes:
Introduction by Mercedes Lackey
Transmutation by Larry Dixon
The Feast of the Children by Na
Published December 6th 2005 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar

Landscape of the Imagination by Mercedes Lackey

"Transmutation" by Larry Di
P.M.
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I usually don't read short stories because they are ... short. I would rather delve into hundreds of pages and experience the story. However, it has been a long time since I have read about the heralds of Valdemar. This was OK but I still would prefer stories from the original author rather than compilations from other authors.
Kelcey
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Normally I really enjoy the collected short stories written by great authors aka sanctioned fan-fiction. However, this collection didn't speak to me the way the others have. There were two stories I really enjoyed (Dawn of Sorrows, Safe and Sound) but the others were overall just okay. The main stories from Lackey and Dixon were focused on aspects of Valdemar that are not my favorite so I was probably less interested in the stories. Also there were no stories involving Companions’ choice and the ...more
ms bookjunkie

Touchin
Red Risa
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a dud in the bunch

How many anthologies have you read that felt like you had to slog through story after story before getting to one you truly enjoyed?
You won't run into that here, or in many future Valdemar anthologies!
I've read these in hardcopy, years ago, but after reading the recently released 12th collection, I felt nostalgic and went back to the beginning.
That's the thing about fantasies, they never get old!
Jamie Hayes
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories about Valdemar. The tales may be short, but they are well written and explore the variety and diversity of Lackey's created world.
Jill
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Some of the stories were so much better than others. Since war stories are not my favorite, those were the ones I liked least. And, Lackey's own story was one of my favorites.
TheCosyDragon
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it

Another collection of short stories edited by Mercedes Lackey. They encompass a wide range of topics, some tastefully sexy, some very sad. Overall a remarkably good collection that adds to the Valdemar world.

"Transmutation" by Larry Dixon is extremely well written and seamlessly fits in with the rest of the novels by Lackey (fitting since he's he
Jayme(the ghost reader)
Transmutation
I liked this story because a little boy showed kindness to a creature most people in his village were scared of. The boy helped him when he needed aid. The boy was rewarded by an offer to serve the gryphons.

Feast of the Children
I liked this story because the priest helped the children that had special "gifts." The people were afraid of these gifts and called them "witch powers". I think these children would have been welcome in Haven.

Horse of Air
I liked this story because because th
Julie Akeman
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I read this but I think when I put it on Goodreads I must have said I did read it. My two favorites is the first one by Larry Dixon and the last one which was done by Lackey herself because it featured Tarma and Kethry, old favorites of mine. I love the first story with the gryphon who sacrificed so much of his magic to save a dying warrior so he could see his wife. I love the gryphons and have plans on making a painting of gryphons in a jungle that have more of a Harpy Ea ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Mercedes Lackey wrote one short story in this collection and edited the others. All are based in the world Lackey created for her Valdemar novels, although some of the stories are in Karse, the Pelagirs, or other areas outside the country of Valdemar. The longest story is by Lackey’s husband Larry Dixon and is the first story in the book. His story is a griffin story, the ones I like least in the Valdemar series. It does contain both Kelvren (from the Darien books) and Hydona and Treyvan (from t ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I like short stories in general, and I like this collection quite well. It's mostly the usual suspects in terms of authors, which is nice - no jarring amateurism, and some nice continuity - notably Tanya Huff's delightful Herald Jors, Richard Lee Byers' not-very-Valdemar but consistently excellent mysteries in Mournedealth, and Ben Ohlander's welcome addition to the canon of the story of the Karsite revolution. As usual not all the stories are my favorites, but there aren't any in this volume th ...more
Carrie
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
I haven't quite finished reading this yet, so I can't speak for all of the stories. The problem I have with short stories is that they all feel like fan fiction. Maybe that's the point, but I'd much rather read a full-fledged novel about a major character. It feels kind of cheap to me to get a story about some random person who interacts in some random way with someone who's a main character in another novel. This is nothing against the authors, their stories are pretty well-written, it's just a ...more
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good way to find new authors

I don't normally like short stories. However I got this book because I love Mercedes Lackey and sci-fi. It gives you a taste of other writers styles and a blurb about each before their story. I have always had a hard time finding new authors and now I have several to try.
Marina
I remember after Misty finished her Valdemar series and took a break to write other books I asked her if their would be more stories about the gryphons and Tarma & Kathry in the future.Well I was real pleased to read both short stories here. Larry did a great job.His story was my fav in the anthology. There were other good ones too.
JoyfulK
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoy stories by Tanya Huff, which is why I got the anthology from the library. It was fun to visit Valdemar again; however, the quality of the various stories was pretty uneven. Some did not hold my interest. Worth a look: "Change of Heart," "The Blue Coat," "Darkwall's Lady." Ironically, Huff's story "All the Ages of Man," while interesting, wasn't the best of the bunch.
Zinz Vandermeer
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Valdemar has always been one of my favourite fantasy worlds. The Heralds are a phenomenal group, with their highly intelligent companions and magical adventures.

The idea of other authors telling adventures set in Valdemar really appealed to me, and they did not fail here, particularly Tanya Huff.
Kerri
Dec 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Yet another anthology of tales based in Mercedes Lackey's world of Velgarth by various authors/fans. "Transmutation", the Larry Dixon story that starts off the book, was excellent and could've definitely been expanded into a full-length novel. I also enjoyed Lackey's own contribution, but I love pretty much everything involving Tarma and Kethry.
Rachel
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts, fantasy
It was okay. Ironically, the first story, by Larry Dixon, Mercedes Lackey's husband was my favorite - even over Mercedes' own story at the end. The others were a bit disappointing. Recommend the first story 4 stars. All others - 2 stars, 3 for Mercedes.
Michelle
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
"Safe and Sound" by Stephanie D. Shaver is a particular gem! I really enjoyed it. "Strength and Honor" by Ben Ohlander is very, very well done. "The Blue Coat" by Fiona Patten is a unique piece from a very different perspective. "Darkwall's Lady" by Judith Tarr is a nice fairy tale retelling.
Ruby Hollyberry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not one fairly good story in it - they were all terrific. Of course the "Jem and Ree" story was one of my favorites as they always are! I was excited to find this anthology's story to be the one about how the two boys originally met.
Stephen
Mar 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Another short story anthology based on the Valdemar universe. Most of the stories use new characters to expand the Valdemar saga But there is one story by Misty that uses Tarma, Kethry and Warrl
Trixie
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Valdemar anthology!
Mauri
Sep 08, 2007 rated it liked it
So far, I find myself completely and utterly annoyed by the piece of tripe that was the first story, Transmutation.
colleen
Nov 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, scpl, 2006
read 02.22.06
Kathy Davie
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Rosemary Edgehill's made me cry.
M.Z. Reichert's was terrible.
Kara
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
There were good, strong tales in this anthology, a few that surprised me and touched me deeply. I also enjoyed seeing a few repeated characters. That was a nice touch, and one I hope is repeated.
Priscilla Sage
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
missing
Michelle
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love all the Valdemar books and have read each of the series... they are awesome fantasy stories!
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
good book but I prefer when her styles in writing of Valdemar. some of the authors though have some pretty good ideas and twists. wish she would build on them and write some more.
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Sword and Sorceress IX
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • No Quarter (Quarters #3)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Alchemy and Academe : A Collection of Original Stories Concerning Themselves with Transmutations, Mental and Elemental, Alchemical and Academic
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more

Tales of Valdemar (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Sword of Ice and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #1)
  • Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #2)
  • Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #4)
  • Changing the World: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #5)
  • Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #6)
  • Under the Vale and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #7)
  • No True Way: All New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #8)
  • Crucible: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #9)
  • Tempest: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #10)
  • Pathways (Tales of Valdemar #11)